Moparts

What color would you paint this project?Plumcrazy?

Posted By: RUMBLON

What color would you paint this project?Plumcrazy? - 03/12/09 05:02 PM

MAYBE PLUM CRAZY?????

--------------------------------------------
I am hoping to get a lot done on the 38 Plymouth this summer, including choosing a color and shooting the interior for some inside work. I am also heading to Vegas to grab the 5.7 HEMI for the 38 as well.

The car is going to be a driver, nothing radical. I am torn bewteen a old school two tone look, body color one color and fenders black or something odd.

I am new to the ROD scene but want it cool.
with that in mind, what color/ colors, would you choose. Here is the car and then a few pics of 38s???

Dave

Attached picture 5088072-DSCF4791.JPG

Re: What color would you paint this project? - 03/12/09 05:04 PM

I have all the parts and the rims that are on it, are NOT staying, they are just to get it around the shop.

I am thinking Cragars or something cool. I also think they need to match the paint.

Dave

Attached picture 5088076-DSCF4706.JPG

Re: What color would you paint this project? - 03/12/09 05:04 PM

some 38s

Attached picture 5088079-1c19_1[1].jpg

Re: What color would you paint this project? - 03/12/09 05:05 PM

Attached picture 5088081-38red.jpg

Re: What color would you paint this project? - 03/12/09 05:06 PM

Attached picture 5088082-4318152-003[1].jpg

Re: What color would you paint this project? - 03/12/09 05:07 PM

Attached picture 5088086-DSC00300[1].jpg

Re: What color would you paint this project? - 03/12/09 05:08 PM

Attached picture 5088088-ggk0435[1].jpg
Posted By: 76dodgeboy

Re: What color would you paint this project? - 03/12/09 05:19 PM

Quote:

This style would be sweet with that Hemi under the hood Im a sucker for old school. I wish I could afford an early Hemi for my 52 Dodge pickup

Attached picture 5088124-sweet38.jpg
Posted By: Mopar Ron

Re: What color would you paint this project? - 03/12/09 05:25 PM

Dave nothing against the stock two tone look but for my taste I like the orange car better and more of a newer streetrod style, I think it would go better with the new hemi and more of a hi tech look and feel of the car.
I like cars that stand out color wise,
I have plans for pearl orange,candy brandywine,pearl yellow,and candy blue vehicles in the future.
I like 2,4 and 5. myself..... Ron...

Re: What color would you paint this project? - 03/12/09 05:39 PM

nice motor.

Attached picture 5088169-061.JPG
Posted By: bohmer2

Re: What color would you paint this project? - 03/12/09 07:03 PM

I like 2 and 4 myself. I think with a hot rod the color should make a statement, flat paints look cool on 50's style cars. On pre-40 street rods I like simple bright colors, candys are cool (and not simple) but stay away from the chameleon affects from pearls. I also like simple graphics like old school flames, scallops and pinstriping. I dont like "real" flames on most of these rods but I have seen ones that I like as well. I am not a fan of yellows or light greens so I stay away from them. Lots of reds, blues, and even some oranges to work with.

Re: What color would you paint this project? - 03/12/09 10:20 PM

Thanks and I am not asking anyone to pic one of the colors in te pics, just there for reference. I am open to any colors and or ideas

DAVE
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: What color would you paint this project? - 03/12/09 11:50 PM

Anything but Curious Yellow.

I would say white always looks good when it's clean. I'm going hot rod black on my Plymouth to begin with.

Re: What color would you paint this project? - 03/13/09 01:59 AM

Quote:

Anything but Curious Yellow.

I would say white always looks good when it's clean. I'm going hot rod black on my Plymouth to begin with.

I still have some curious yellow, maybe curious body an dblack fenders, Great idea John

Dave
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: What color would you paint this project? - 03/13/09 02:14 AM

Bury that paint before it contaminates any other cars.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: What color would you paint this project? - 03/13/09 02:29 AM

My 35 sedan was gray with white fenders with black rubber coated running boards and a white roof. I ran aluminum slots and open hood sides. It got lots of attension, most faverable....Gene

Attached picture 5089330-Picture084.jpg
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: What color would you paint this project? - 03/13/09 05:42 PM

This is a taste question, so it has to work for you.
I've grabbed a lot of pictures of 40s over the years, and I prefer darker colors myself. There have been a few lighter ones I've liked, but none that were real bright. I don't like the Black fender look, it seems to cut up the car and look cheap to me.
Posted By: 4speeds4me

Re: What color would you paint this project? - 03/13/09 05:45 PM

Quote:

I don't like the Black fender look, it seems to cut up the car and look cheap to me.

Solid color for sure. There are "two tone" schemes I think would work on this car, but definitely not the fender/running boards-body. At least not to my tastes!

Re: What color would you paint this project? - 03/14/09 05:30 AM

Viper red????

Orange??????

Dark Blue??????

Yella"""""""""

curious yella???????? just for john

man, what to do.

Posted By: shinnery

Re: What color would you paint this project? - 03/14/09 06:24 AM

Petty Blue. nuf said.

Bryce

Re: What color would you paint this project? - 03/14/09 06:50 AM

I keep seeing it in a brilliant or electric blue. On the plus side, the color is one of the last choices you have to make, and you can change your mind right up until you start spraying!

Re: What color would you paint this project? - 03/14/09 04:42 PM

Quote:

I keep seeing it in a brilliant or electric blue. On the plus side, the color is one of the last choices you have to make, and you can change your mind right up until you start spraying!

I have never been a blue lover, but I can almost see it too. I am also going to try and shoot for not duplicating the color of another car I have. I love Viper red, but all or half of the Rods are red. I also have a PETTY Blue original 72 340 Cuda that needs to get done.

Right now I am leaning towards a bright brilliant blue or maybe an orange. The local paint shop messed up a buddy (Moparts YOUNGUNNERS) Paint for his 69 RR. They then gave him the gallon of PPG. Its kind of a lighter metallic green but in a way, very cool. It has some gold in it.

I think I will have to go look through some paint books.

Dave
Posted By: SublimeSixpack

Re: What color would you paint this project? - 03/21/09 03:12 AM

Orange, with some flames if done right.
Posted By: patrick

Re: What color would you paint this project?Plumcrazy? - 03/23/09 11:55 AM

2 tone, I'd go with a charcoal grey on the fenders and running boards, and an '88-89 chrysler color, Black Cherry Pearl Coat on the main body, and for upholstery, I'd go red with grey accents.
Posted By: black64

Re: What color would you paint this project?Plumcrazy? - 03/23/09 11:02 PM

My ford brand X is maderia maroon 78-79 caddy paint color it would look good solid color or with black fenders.

Attached picture 5113708-1940FORD101902003(Small).jpg

Re: What color would you paint this project?Plumcrazy? - 03/24/09 02:07 AM

I has been decided thanks to Gary/ I went to MATS and found the new Viper "SNAKESKIN GREEN" wow, a true rod color on a viper.

My computer is being updated, so nopics as I cant shrink them on my wifes puter as I have no clue.

Very cool green, metallic. the 5.7 HEMI is home and all is well.

Dave

Re: What color would you paint this project?Plumcrazy? - 03/24/09 02:10 AM

here it is

Attached picture 5114309-5098943-2008-Dodge-Viper-SRT10-Coupe-Snakeskin-Green[1].jpg
Posted By: leavitt4

Re: What color would you paint this project?Plumcrazy? - 03/24/09 02:48 AM

that is a very cool color if you dont use it i may lol jk but im leaning twards doing mine two tone breaking it on the body line like inbetween maroon n bright red on the top n either silver or charcohl on the bottom and do the frame the same red as top

Re: What color would you paint this project?Plumcrazy? - 03/24/09 03:10 AM

I will someday build an oldschool rod, but since this is so clean and all there, I wanted a ROD color. The color kicks A$$ AND IS GREAT.

dAVE
Posted By: rrbrucea

Re: What color would you paint this project?Plumcrazy? - 03/24/09 12:22 PM

Quote:

here it is

That'll make a GREAT rod color!

Re: What color would you paint this project?Plumcrazy? - 03/24/09 10:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

here it is

Glad you like it, because you will be drawing it, and more than likely before its done! I may work towards a rendition from you!

Dave
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What color would you paint this project?Plumcrazy? - 03/24/09 10:40 PM

I think you answered you own question. I would paint it a metallic candy plum with some dark accents.

-=Bo*Bo De Hobo=-
Posted By: rrbrucea

Re: What color would you paint this project?Plumcrazy? - 03/25/09 11:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

here it is

Glad you like it, because you will be drawing it, and more than likely before its done! I may work towards a rendition from you!

Dave

Oh yeah, I can't wait to play with that one! I'm looking forward to doing a "conceptual rendering" of a rod that hasn't been built yet. I know I can do it, just nobody has asked yet...
Posted By: bohmer2

Re: What color would you paint this project?Plumcrazy? - 03/25/09 02:22 PM

Quote:

here it is

With that color you can use your curious yellow to get some nice scallops or flame work done.

Re: What color would you paint this project?Plumcrazy? - 03/25/09 04:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

here it is

Dave

Oh yeah, I can't wait to play with that one! I'm looking forward to doing a "conceptual rendering" of a rod that hasn't been built yet. I know I can do it, just nobody has asked yet...

That works for me I can build a car around the concept. One of things I am doing is I have cut out the "CHRYSLER FIREPOWER" embossed metal, out of two damaged 392 HEMI valve covers. I am going to fab them into the hood sides on the flat stock, so its visible from the outside of the hood. Thats why I wanted the 5.7. HEMI.

The metal for the most part is staying original as I like the look. I do need to decide on front and back roll pans, what to do with bumpers, rims, exhaust, out the side like and AAR or real roll pan? And a name for the car.

Dave

Re: What color would you paint this project?Plumcrazy? - 03/26/09 12:17 AM

Quote:

And a name for the car.

Well, if you did some supporting graphics in Curious Yellow, you could call it Curious Snakeskin?!?!

That color is going to look pretty good, Dave.
Posted By: RAT PATROL

Re: What color would you paint this project?Plumcrazy? - 03/27/09 08:46 PM

Well Mr. Potato Head, first off you need to put that motor back about a foot so it can get off the line, not to mention handle. What the, who put that, oh for crying out loud. Just who is the brains of that outfit anyway? Okay, now what was the question?
Posted By: 76dodgeboy

Re: What color would you paint this project?Plumcrazy? - 03/28/09 04:33 AM

He's going to run a newer Hemi not whats in it.
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: What color would you paint this project?Plumcrazy? - 04/16/09 12:24 AM

if you do it plum crazy ..then apply a flat clear..
that color looks killer in flat...
looks like satin or silk.
chepast

Re: What color would you paint this project?Plumcrazy? - 04/17/09 04:58 PM

Quote:

Well Mr. Potato Head, first off you need to put that motor back about a foot so it can get off the line, not to mention handle. What the, who put that, oh for crying out loud. Just who is the brains of that outfit anyway? Okay, now what was the question?

The engine that goins into it, is a 5.7 HEMI, the 392 mock up motor is just sitting in there. Its a mock up, not a real one. I sold the real one.

Dave
© 2024 Moparts Forums