Moparts

Universal emergency brake cable

Posted By: 85_Ram_4speed

Universal emergency brake cable - 03/18/15 02:26 AM

Working on a 37 Dodge coupe (street rod). I am trying to find an unsheathed, 40" intermediate E-brake cable. Does anyone have any idea where to look or if there is a cut to fit type deal that may work? Just trying to get something that will fit the current setup correctly vs. reengineering the whole thing.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Universal emergency brake cable - 03/18/15 02:41 AM

controlcables.com can make any cable you need in any length with any end. they have a layout sheet you fill out with what ends needed and the length. i'm not a fan of those "universal" type cables that use tiny set screws to secure the ends after you cut the cable to length. hope this helps.
Posted By: savoy64

Re: Universal emergency brake cable - 03/18/15 05:57 AM

old time motorcycle shops have the tools to make the cables----no not the new corporate harley shops---my favorite pickapart cable is the subaru cables---about 50 inches long --sheathed--and you can tie them in knots and still activate the cable....
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Universal emergency brake cable - 03/18/15 08:36 PM

Early B-bodies have a 1/8" unsheathed cable that's about 60" long with a 1/4" ball at each end.
Posted By: 85_Ram_4speed

Re: Universal emergency brake cable - 03/19/15 12:59 AM

Thanks guys. the cable that is in there now is too long and thus I have the e-brake cable adjuster maxed out. It needs to be shorter so I can get some adjuster back--a 40" length would be perfect.

Like I said, I don't want to have to reengineer the whole system. It does work, it just needs one piece to make it right. The original builder did not think the whole system through.
© 2024 Moparts Forums