Moparts

Cutting Frames

Posted By: moposcar

Cutting Frames - 12/09/08 12:32 AM

What do you guys use to cut the frames on your old cars...such as a 56? Oxy-Acetylene, cut-off wheel, sawzall?

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Cutting Frames - 12/09/08 12:37 AM

cutting for disposal, torch.
For subframing, you want a nice clean edge without heat damage.
use a plasma if you have a big one. Sawsall if you can hold a line.

Re: Cutting Frames - 12/09/08 01:40 AM

Ok Thanks. It is for a subframe. Don't know if I can hold a line with the sawzall or not.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Cutting Frames - 12/09/08 01:46 AM

if you are unsure about being able to hold a line, mark 2. one line about 1/4-3/8" from the final cut line. cut away on that line and trim up to the final line with a 4" grinder.
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Cutting Frames - 12/09/08 02:27 AM

another thing to try is to weld on a guide.
take some plate and align it with the line you want and tack it in place. Sawsalls will go all over, but with that to guide the blade, you have a better chance.

Re: Cutting Frames - 12/09/08 03:48 AM

Great tips guys. Keep 'em coming!!
Posted By: Flipper1938

Re: Cutting Frames - 12/09/08 04:58 AM

For arrow straight cuts with a sawsall, get the cut started on an edge and then lay the blade down at low angle.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Cutting Frames - 12/09/08 05:21 AM

And don't force the blade to cut, it takes the teeth off the blade and makes for a crocked cut. Slightly more wieght then the weight of the saw will make the blades last longer, and give straighter cuts. Gene
Posted By: earlymopar

Re: Cutting Frames - 12/09/08 02:48 PM

4 & 1/2 grinder with .040 to .060 cut-off wheel. Very easy to use and control. The only down-side is that the wheels can get used up quickly on 1/8 inch thick wall frame material. However, you probably won't be cutting very much in total length anyway.

- EM
Posted By: rabid scott

Re: Cutting Frames - 12/15/08 10:37 PM

Quote:

4 & 1/2 grinder with .040 to .060 cut-off wheel. Very easy to use and control. The only down-side is that the wheels can get used up quickly on 1/8 inch thick wall frame material. However, you probably won't be cutting very much in total length anyway.

- EM

I'll second that. My favorite cutting tool is the 4 1/2" grinder with the thin cut off wheels.
Posted By: 41hemi

Re: Cutting Frames - 01/02/09 11:09 PM

I buy them at Harbor freight every time they are on sale, they seem to last as long as the others. I noticed that the last ones were made in Russia, Go figure.
© 2024 Moparts Forums