Moparts

Rear Diff Lubircant

Posted By: flatiron

Rear Diff Lubircant - 12/01/11 11:24 PM

I have a spool in a 8.75 and was wondering what I should put in there for gear Oil. I have a bottle of Lucas High Performance 80W-90 The back of the bottle says excellent for limited slips but will this be ok fo a spool. Also what would the capacity be.
Posted By: dOc …

Re: Rear Diff Lubircant - 12/01/11 11:28 PM

With a spool ... just the cheapest stuff you can find. 8 3/4 ? .. run it a bit low ....1.5 quarts.
Posted By: flatiron

Re: Rear Diff Lubircant - 12/01/11 11:41 PM

Should I worry about what wght it is
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Rear Diff Lubircant - 12/02/11 06:43 AM

Just about anything is going to be adequate for gears. additives and modifiers are aimed at sure grip (and especially clutch style) units that rely on a specific amount of friction and lubrication as part of how they physically operate.

Re: Rear Diff Lubircant - 12/02/11 08:00 AM

Quote:

Just about anything is going to be adequate for gears.

x 22 .... I would use the LIGHTEST gear-oil I could find ... in a track-only car.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Rear Diff Lubircant - 12/02/11 08:14 AM

Check out the Red Line ShockProof gear oils.
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=44&pcid=4

Re: Rear Diff Lubircant - 12/02/11 08:23 AM

Quote:

....at 15 beans per quart ...when not really needed ?? .... THIS STUFF (like Amsoil and Royal Purple) ....is just way over-priced gimmicky oil products that are not needed in a properly maintained vehicle.

Posted By: dogdays

Re: Rear Diff Lubircant - 12/02/11 05:23 PM

Doc, take your pills, you are sounding cranky. Redline is good stuff. If you can't afford another $30 for lube, maybe you shouldn't be racing!

R. (I admit, I can't afford to be racing.)
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Rear Diff Lubircant - 12/02/11 07:30 PM

Use the best stuff you can afford, especially when drag racing There is a major difference in results
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Rear Diff Lubircant - 12/02/11 10:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

....at 15 beans per quart ...when not really needed ?? .... THIS STUFF (like Amsoil and Royal Purple) ....is just way over-priced gimmicky oil products that are not needed in a properly maintained vehicle.

how much bracket racing have you done? It makes a difference
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: Rear Diff Lubircant - 12/03/11 12:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree !!
Posted By: blracing

Re: Rear Diff Lubircant - 12/03/11 01:12 AM

richmond gears make there own lube, i've used it for my spool. royal purple also makes a good lube. i use the 74/140 in mine.

Re: Rear Diff Lubircant - 12/03/11 02:00 AM

Quote:

Doc, take your pills, you are sounding cranky. Redline is good stuff. If you can't afford another $30 for lube, maybe you shouldn't be racing!

R. (I admit, I can't afford to be racing.)

YOU sound BROKE-AZZ Double-d ....

You must be spending tooooo much of your money on GIMMICKY snake-oil stuff ...
Posted By: mopacltd

Re: Rear Diff Lubircant - 12/03/11 02:30 AM

The "climbing" gear oil works great, but it take HP to move it.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Rear Diff Lubircant - 12/03/11 04:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The RedLine ShockProof oil is to protect the gears on hard launches. I'm not sure if the original poster would need the extra protection or not.
I have used the medium weight (yes, the oil is actually blue) in a 2002 Ram 1500 with the 4.7L with no problems and picked up a bit of fuel mileage too.
I use the regular RedLine 75W140 GL-5 in my Ram 3500, and the 75W90 in the Charger and Coronet.

I think the Redline oil costs less than Amsoil or Royal Purple?

A short white paper on the ShockProof oil:
http://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/ShockProof%20Gear%20Oil%20Tech%20Info.pdf
Posted By: ahy

Re: Rear Diff Lubircant - 12/03/11 04:56 AM

The LS additives won't hurt. I don't think the lube will be a limiting factor in an 8.75/spool - other parts will fail before the gears wear out. Personally, I'd get a couple more quarts of what you have and run it.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Rear Diff Lubircant - 12/03/11 04:57 AM

i use royal purple 75/90w synthetic. cost a little more, but i think it's worth. why skimp on lube. u wouldn't put some cheap crap in ur tow vehicle would u?? seeya.

Re: Rear Diff Lubircant - 12/03/11 05:07 AM

Quote:

i use royal purple 75/90w synthetic. cost a little more, but i think it's worth. why skimp on lube. u wouldn't put some cheap crap in ur tow vehicle would u?? seeya.

YURR tow-vehicle is far more critical for the sure-grip additives and such than a 1/4 mile drag-strip car ..
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Rear Diff Lubircant - 12/03/11 01:23 PM

Royal Purple here.
Posted By: DennisH

Re: Rear Diff Lubircant - 12/03/11 01:45 PM

AmsOil in the Dana 60. Abused and OK.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Rear Diff Lubircant - 12/03/11 03:25 PM

Regardless of brand or weight I think synthetic is a good idea. My dad says his car is more consistent since he put synthetic in his dana 60(first run is not the slowest anymore).

My jeep has locking differentials in both ends. I could tell a big difference in how they act when I went to synthetic gear oil. If it makes a difference in something like that it has to be better for the gears as well. I don't buy the high dollar stuff, just the cheapest synthetic the parts store has on the shelf.
© 2024 Moparts Forums