Moparts

FED versus Altered!

Posted By: fed

FED versus Altered! - 10/31/11 11:04 PM

With one would be most fun to drive?
Same engine and trans.
Thinking of switching to an altered insted of my FED.
But i have never driven an altered.

Attached picture 6896996-kjulazlyft.jpg
Posted By: Chris Vanover

Re: FED versus Altered! - 10/31/11 11:06 PM

I dont see how anything could be much more fun to drive then that car in the pic.. other then longer wheel base is there really much different?
Posted By: DragDart360

Re: FED versus Altered! - 10/31/11 11:32 PM

Is an altered not just a short wheel base FED? If you're tired of the dragster you can send it to me
Posted By: BeEtLeJuIcE !

Re: FED versus Altered! - 10/31/11 11:39 PM

BEST of both worlds ... a short FED .... THIS ONE is ferr sail BTW ......

Attached picture 6897074-waFEdragster.jpg

Re: FED versus Altered! - 10/31/11 11:41 PM

The FED is really a lot of fun to drive,
but im usually alone on the races and i thought an Altered , would be a little easyer to handle in the pits.

Attached picture 6897078-3hjul.jpg
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: FED versus Altered! - 11/01/11 12:01 AM

FED you are sitting behind the axle, legs over.
Altered or F/C, you are sitting on top of the axle or slightly ahead.

I'd guess that the FED with less eye height and backside closer to the ground would feel faster, even ignoring those slicks next to your elbows.
Aside from less overall length making it steer tighter, I don't know how the same drivetrain would make it easier. Adding cooling?

Haven't driven either, but have dreamed of both!
Posted By: 69dart

Re: FED versus Altered! - 11/01/11 01:19 AM

I love my 4-Link roadster. Its pretty forgiving on slick or rougher tracks and about as consistent as a car can be. I think it depends on the the quality of the track surfaces at the tracks you frequent. If the tracks are rough then a 4-link Altered\Roadster is what you need. If you race at track like Norwalk then a FED would be fine.

Posted By: 23T Hemmee

Re: FED versus Altered! - 11/01/11 01:29 AM

Quote:

The FED is really a lot of fun to drive,
but im usually alone on the races and i thought an Altered , would be a little easyer to handle in the pits.

They're both fun to drive but as you said the altered is definitely easier to handle in the pits, 90 degree staging lanes, 180 hairpin return roads like some of our little 1/8th mile tracks that don't have a lot of extra room. A bud of mine has a 200" Tuttle car with a 358" Injected alky P7 thats running 7.40's 1/4 mile and the car runs so straight he's actually getting bored with it. Judging by some Go-Pro video I've seen I can understand why, car is on a string. My car, while going straight most of the time, will jump up and bite me when I least expect it, keeps it interesting......

Attached picture 6897346-005.jpg
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: FED versus Altered! - 11/01/11 02:04 AM

Altered all the way!

Posted By: Dragula

Re: FED versus Altered! - 11/01/11 02:47 AM

Not sure how you guys drive those things with the butter fly steering wheels. I see a couple of altereds locally that use a small regular steering wheel and have front brakes and can do a typical burnout, and that would be the car I could drive, and as said, a 4-link will make it very tuneable for the car and track...

FED's are cool, and I always like seeing them. Couldn't imagine driving one though..

Posted By: Slingshot383

Re: FED versus Altered! - 11/01/11 05:23 PM

Had both, both ton's of fun! My FED was a 165" wheelbase with the engine way back, it ran a shorty trans with just a 4" coupler. The altered is a solid car, a Cadillac to drive.
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: FED versus Altered! - 11/01/11 06:40 PM

you must have been to close to cajan getting those thoughts on your mind

more serious i think a altered would be alitle easier getting down the track since i have seen plenty of FEDīs going way above crazy wheelsup compared to altereds who usualy goes quick or just end up in a cloud of smoke kjula seems to be a pretty hardhooking track but im not an expert on judging that just my

is it that hard to put alitle crew togheter? i wouldnt hessitate helping you out at the track if it hadnt been for the fact that im already occupied helping someone out,it takes alot of time but well worth it and cant see that it would be impossible to get alitle crew togheter for such a cool car

Re: FED versus Altered! - 11/01/11 07:26 PM

If you know some people around Stockholm that want to help ut, let me know.
Posted By: codfish

Re: FED versus Altered! - 11/04/11 04:24 AM

I'd love to try an FED.

Here's a vid of my buddy's son, Willie. Nickname is WhiteSlip Willie. He moved from Jr Dragsters last year to this beast this year. He's 16 or 17, can't remember.

SBC with a mechanical injection of some sort. It's old school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO9MjJ8_jt0

codfish
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: FED versus Altered! - 11/04/11 01:47 PM

Ive driven ..Test driven..filled in as driver both (looking to find my pics)
Fisrt off my personal impressions..
Ive driven a modern link/shock topilino...Fun
but 9.33et we/I never got a fullspeed pass..and aside form the primative cockpit it drove like a car..

Ive driven an Injected Aletered (aluminum buick/range rover engine) with small amount of nitro.112"wheel base nostaliga car..ET 9.01
the most fun ive ever had..the injection set up allowed you to see ahead clearly.. the car had to be driven/steered &shifted .. and its the best memories i have..I want one..!!

Ive driven a real nostalgia Sbc blown (not modernised) 123" FED..Honestly Everything about that car was a blast except the driving..A pain to get into and out of..i couldnt see anything inside the car..
and people park there damn golf carts in the worst places...you find all of them in a dragster.
the power was incredible..but after about 3 straight weekends the driving part got boring.
but everyone comes to the line..when a blown fed pulls in...thats hard to deny...fun..

Ive driven a modern rear engine bbc 225" wheel base "spitster" style dragester..et 8.0's
IMHO all of the negatives..and the only good part of the ride is the shot when the tires grab after the burn out..
and the launch on the leave...the rest..a monkey could do...they are lawn Darts.

Just my opinon yours may vary..
Id take a AA/Fa alterd any day..
just not the modern suspension/shocked up,,Winged up..fiberglass airfoil wedge, spoiler type..
those things are fugggley...
Gimme an old school with a buick or hemi engine
injection with a splash of benzene...
or blown..gotta have enough body panels to have a CRAZY METAL FLAKE PAINT JOB..!!!

cheapst
Posted By: 23T Hemmee

Re: FED versus Altered! - 11/04/11 03:55 PM

Cheapstreet gets it.........
Posted By: jyrki

Re: FED versus Altered! - 11/04/11 04:32 PM

This ones for sale if interested..
http://www.elisanet.fi/woodstockracing/
Posted By: Slingshot383

Re: FED versus Altered! - 11/04/11 05:19 PM

Codfish, that digger is way overtired! It would run a lot better with a 10.5" tire on it.

Re: FED versus Altered! - 11/04/11 10:14 PM

Quote:

A little to new and serious!
I like the oldschool look!

Attached picture 6903707-z2.jpg
Posted By: jyrki

Re: FED versus Altered! - 11/05/11 09:26 AM

I think it's from the early 80's, originally an Omni024 funny car.
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: FED versus Altered! - 11/07/11 04:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

A little to new and serious!
I like the oldschool look!

After looking at that chassis..if one would.
take off the front wing -put a mooneyes jug in its place.
remove the modern wheels and do old school tires and rims..
remove the billet engine and go old school hemi or teh like..
Then take the body off and roll it around in a giant bag full of metal flake...

It could work...

cheapst
Posted By: Wv68charger

Re: FED versus Altered! - 11/07/11 06:39 PM

Always been my dream to make a pass in a FED... Someday I hope
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: FED versus Altered! - 11/07/11 07:42 PM

I've driven an altered for a couple of seasons, it was fun but not all that great. I'm not an open cockpit kind of guy I guess. After getting a face shield full of coolant at 135 MPH I wasn't too happy. But then getting drenched with gasoline at the top end surpassed even the previous incident. I have no desire to wait until the thing catches fire before I quit driving a front engined anything with an open cockpit.

YMMV
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: FED versus Altered! - 11/07/11 08:12 PM

Quote:

If you know some people around Stockholm that want to help ut, let me know.

sorry to say that i dont know anyone that could help out,but nostalgia racing is so cool and people usualy get alitle excited about it when you nostalgiaracers start running thats why i figure there must be people out there who want to help out
Posted By: 526

Re: FED versus Altered! - 08/17/12 06:33 AM

Quote:

Had both, both ton's of fun! My FED was a 165" wheelbase with the engine way back, it ran a shorty trans with just a 4" coupler. The altered is a solid car, a Cadillac to drive.

i will let u know. check it out. http://classicfunnycarboard.com/CFB/inde...47363#msg247363
© 2024 Moparts Forums