Moparts

ROCKERS GET LOOSE

Posted By: QWK_ENUF

ROCKERS GET LOOSE - 10/25/11 01:02 AM

ever have problems with rockers that won't stay tight?

they are indy rockers and its never the same ones. after setting the lash it runs great but then its a crap shoot as to how long before one loosens up. engine is a 440 with a 590 cam and indy rockers.....any tips

THANKS

Attached picture 6886850-motor2.jpg
Posted By: Performance Only

Re: ROCKERS GET LOOSE - 10/25/11 01:09 AM

the best tip i can give you is to sell them to someone you don't like and put a decent set on there.
other than that, a single drop of wicking loc-tight will keep them from loosening.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: ROCKERS GET LOOSE - 10/25/11 01:10 AM

Quote:

the best tip i can give you is to sell them to someone you don't like and put a decent set on there.
other than that, a single drop of wicking loc-tight will keep them from loosening.

Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: ROCKERS GET LOOSE - 10/25/11 01:11 AM

Quote:

ever have problems with rockers that won't stay tight?

they are indy rockers and its never the same ones. after setting the lash it runs great but then its a crap shoot as to how long before one loosens up. engine is a 440 with a 590 cam and indy rockers.....any tips

THANKS

Are the surfaces below the lock nuts spot face nicely
so the nut lands flat on that surface
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: ROCKERS GET LOOSE - 10/25/11 01:14 AM

my Indys did the same thing until i put a nice set of Smith Bros adjusters in them.
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: ROCKERS GET LOOSE - 10/25/11 01:40 AM

20 years ago I started to give my wrench a decent shot with a dead blow hammer. Never had a loose one since
Posted By: a493demon

Re: ROCKERS GET LOOSE - 10/25/11 01:42 AM

Quote:

i bought some from you
Posted By: 65dragnet

Re: ROCKERS GET LOOSE - 10/25/11 01:59 AM

I've got the same problem with Hughes Rollers , took em off and put my Crane Ductiles back on.
Posted By: racerx

Re: ROCKERS GET LOOSE - 10/25/11 02:26 AM

Had a set of the Harland's work themselves loose when they were first installed Talk to Harland and they say to torque them to 25ft lbs the problem was solve seems there instructions say to hand tighten there instruction has not been updated sense 05.
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: ROCKERS GET LOOSE - 10/25/11 03:21 AM

Quote:

Sell them to me....I wanna sell them to DRAM.....

Re: ROCKERS GET LOOSE - 10/25/11 03:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Sell them to me....I wanna sell them to DRAM.....

listen pipsqueek, pipe down or i'll be paying you a visit.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: ROCKERS GET LOOSE - 10/25/11 03:48 AM

Funny thing...I do alot of different type engines and the Import stuff is amazing! You set the adjusters and they tighten up like a bank vault and WILL NOT MOVE--I am told it has something to do with the metric pitch threads--If I ever prove that I am going to try it on a Mopar rocker somehow--Every Mopar aluminum rocker I have seen with the "get loose " problem seems to have been overtightened at some point and has streached the threads in the rocker--that and China adjusters are doomsday! Smith Bros adjusters are some of the best but there is no way to beat Harland rockers on a Mopar unless you go to TD or Jesel--It is crazy to race a Mopar with anything else--it will always bite you and cost MORE than good stuff at the start IMO
Posted By: MAVERICKSHEMI

Re: ROCKERS GET LOOSE - 10/25/11 08:20 AM

Quote:

"sell them to someone you don't like"

quoted by a engine builder,, Gezzzzzz
Posted By: Labratt

Re: ROCKERS GET LOOSE - 10/25/11 05:45 PM

I run a Comp...solid flat tappet,.620 lift..262/266 @ .050 duration,with 1.6 Crane Ductile rockers,bronze-bushed and gone through by RAS. Isky 8005A springs,145/345 psi. My adjustments stay rock-solid,after initial settings in the Spring. If..and when I ever go to a solid roller..it's either Harland Sharp's or T&D!
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: ROCKERS GET LOOSE - 10/25/11 06:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

i bought some from you

He must not like you

Re: ROCKERS GET LOOSE - 10/25/11 06:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

i bought some from you

He must not like you

you bought Indy rockers from me? how long ago was that?

Re: ROCKERS GET LOOSE - 10/25/11 10:13 PM

a year or 2 ago.i messed up a few and todd called you and you had some.brad
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: ROCKERS GET LOOSE - 10/25/11 10:24 PM

Call Dove, they make em, and like Dan said, They arent the best. I have a set on a 440, and a set on a 340 from Hughes, but they are very light duty hydraulic cams. My Demon has Harlan Sharp, and if, IF I ever have any issues, Ill step up to T&Ds or Jessel.

kasey
Posted By: mikeysmopars

Re: ROCKERS GET LOOSE - 10/26/11 12:28 AM

Ditch em and save yourself a lot of anguish.For the money Harland Sharp is great and will at least talk to you if you have an issue.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: ROCKERS GET LOOSE - 10/26/11 12:44 AM

Quote:

Ditch em and save yourself a lot of anguish.For the money Harland Sharp is great and will at least talk to you if you have an issue.

I can hear some valvetrain noise over the exhaust on my car at idle in the garage, standing next to it with the front end off but if I hear something over the exhaust at WOT it's already too late.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: ROCKERS GET LOOSE - 10/26/11 02:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I can hear some valvetrain noise over the exhaust on my car at idle in the garage, standing next to it with the front end off but if I hear something over the exhaust at WOT it's already too late.

Ain't that the truth

Re: ROCKERS GET LOOSE - 10/26/11 03:09 AM

Quote:

a year or 2 ago.i messed up a few and todd called you and you had some.brad

Brad, i remember now. i had a few good pieces left from other sets that saw the same fate as the ones those replaced. hopefully those got you up and running again back then.

Re: ROCKERS GET LOOSE - 10/26/11 03:35 AM

still on the eng. and doing fine.so far 10.69 if we get one more day hopefully a little faster. brad
Posted By: Hughes

Re: ROCKERS GET LOOSE - 10/27/11 03:45 PM

The guys have several good thoughts of why this might happen. One thing I have seen repeatedly that can cause this is incorrect pushrod to rocker geometry (basically wrong pushrod length). This bad angle between the pushrod and the adjuster screw puts pressure on the screw which in turn puts pressure on the aluminum threads eventually wearing them enough that the screw will not stay tight.
Kevin

Attached picture 6890773-TheHughesLogofourth.jpg
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: ROCKERS GET LOOSE - 10/27/11 05:20 PM

I've been running INDY SR rockers for at least 10 years, and never had them come loose. My Buddy has ran the 1.6 INDY SR rockers even longer and never had a problem. He ran the MP .590 cam for years and the rockers were never a problem.

Jeff
© 2024 Moparts Forums