Moparts

Can I get a little help reading some plugs please.

Posted By: Troy

Can I get a little help reading some plugs please. - 10/21/11 06:41 AM

Hi there....can I get a little help. What do you guys think about the spark plugs.

Fuel, 91 octane, pump gas.
Engine, 472 Hemi, 11 to 1 compression, aluminum heads,
Plugs, Autolite 63.
Timing, total is 30 degree.

What do you think??

Thanks, Troy

Attached picture 6881470-rearmainseal017.jpg

Re: Can I get a little help reading some plugs please. - 10/21/11 06:42 AM

....one more.

Attached picture 6881471-rearmainseal018.jpg
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Can I get a little help reading some plugs please. - 10/21/11 07:48 AM

Any speckles, black or bright silver, on the porclyn? If so I would be tempted to try some 62s and then take another look after hitting it a WOT I prefer a cold plug and a lean mixture. I don't have any real experience with a aluminum headed pump gas hemi on the street though so keep that in mind I also ran 34 to 36 degrees in the iron headed 426 Hemi I work on

Re: Can I get a little help reading some plugs please. - 10/21/11 06:44 PM

There are no speckles showing and I think the color looks good. I was looking at the ground strap. I thought there was something about where the ground strap changes color but I cant remember what it was.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Can I get a little help reading some plugs please. - 10/21/11 06:57 PM

I likem. Demarcation on the ground strap ( heat range ) looks perfect. Color ring around barrel looks good too.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Can I get a little help reading some plugs please. - 10/21/11 07:04 PM

Once the plug is colored up it is harder to read, try a new set and hit it once at WOT and pull the plugs, look for a very narrow pencil like mark on the ground strap(no color yet on one hit ), You want it in the middle of the bend, if it is not in the middle,IE one third from the body or 1/3 third from the tip, then try a different heat range do you have a magnifier you can use? I use a 10X dental plug reader It is amazing what you can see with magafication
Posted By: Brian Hafliger

Re: Can I get a little help reading some plugs please. - 10/21/11 07:23 PM

They look good to me too but new plugs are the only way to be sure.
Why 30°? I would bet 35 or so would be alot better even with 11:1...
Posted By: Labratt

Re: Can I get a little help reading some plugs please. - 10/21/11 09:40 PM

Brian..I was thinking the same thing! 30* seems a little LOW to me! Troy,why not 34-36 degrees? Have you already tried that,with BAD results?
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Can I get a little help reading some plugs please. - 10/21/11 11:17 PM

the best way to really check em,is to make a full pass&shut the car off..for the street ur timing looks good on the strap,i cant see the the rest
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Can I get a little help reading some plugs please. - 10/22/11 07:05 AM

Those look pretty good to me. Timing looks close, maybe add 2-degrees? Mixture may be a tad rich? Were these pulled right after a run?
Posted By: emarine01

Re: Can I get a little help reading some plugs please. - 10/22/11 04:34 PM

Can you provide more info like... street or race use... how old are the plugs.... all in all they look ok to me
Posted By: Mike Swann

Re: Can I get a little help reading some plugs please. - 10/22/11 04:59 PM

Quote:

Once the plug is colored up it is harder to read, try a new set and hit it once at WOT and pull the plugs, look for a very narrow pencil like mark on the ground strap(no color yet on one hit ), You want it in the middle of the bend, if it is not in the middle,IE one third from the body or 1/3 third from the tip, then try a different heat range do you have a magnifier you can use? I use a 10X dental plug reader It is amazing what you can see with magnification

X2

Hi Troy, how have you been?

NGK's are preferred because you can see the cadmium burn line on the ground strap. Fuel ring on the porcelain should be mid way up and watch for aluminum on the porcelain as well (detonation)

And one other thing, dont use anti-sieze with a power adder, it will make the motor detonate.
Posted By: racerx

Re: Can I get a little help reading some plugs please. - 10/22/11 10:19 PM

And one other thing, dont use anti-sieze with a power adder, it will make the motor detonate

umm.....never herd this b4
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: Can I get a little help reading some plugs please. - 10/22/11 11:30 PM

IS THAT ANTI SIEZE ON THE RIM OF THE PLUG MAY BE TO MUCH IF IT IS
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Can I get a little help reading some plugs please. - 10/23/11 01:30 AM

Quote:

IS THAT ANTI SIEZE ON THE RIM OF THE PLUG MAY BE TO MUCH IF IT IS

Its anti seize

Re: Can I get a little help reading some plugs please. - 10/23/11 08:43 AM

Thanks for all the remarks!
I'm at 30 degrees to be a little on the safe side and it is a stroker motor with a larger stroke...I plan on adding more timing soon. Looking at the plug I thought the timing was close. This is a street,strip car but has not been to the track yet so no passes yet.
Yes that is anti seize on the thread. I use it when running aluminum heads.
© 2024 Moparts Forums