Moparts

Winter storage, empty radiator or put in anti-freeze?

Posted By: Baxter61

Winter storage, empty radiator or put in anti-freeze? - 10/20/11 05:45 PM

Do you guys have a preference backed up with some reasoning one way or another? I think I need to do something sooner than later. Hasnt been quite to freezing I dont think but I know if I dont do something soon I'll forget and lose another block (forgot to do something about it a couple winters ago while I was away at school and lost a 360 block) As always, thanks for your input!
Posted By: Dodgeguy101

Re: Winter storage, empty radiator or put in anti-freeze? - 10/20/11 05:50 PM

put anti freeze in it and start it, make sure it is mixed good. Even though you drain the radiator, there is still some water in the block. Better safe than sorry.
Posted By: jvcuda

Re: Winter storage, empty radiator or put in anti-freeze? - 10/20/11 05:52 PM

I always dump the water out,then put in antifreeze 50/50 with distilled water.I also change the oil and filter,before storing it for the winter.Then pull out the battery.

john
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Winter storage, empty radiator or put in anti-freeze? - 10/20/11 05:54 PM

Put in anti freeze and run it like said... that way
its in the block... if you empty the radiator you dont
empty the block
Posted By: fed

Re: Winter storage, empty radiator or put in anti-freeze? - 10/20/11 08:58 PM

You have two drainplugs! Lowe on both side on the block. Remove them and you drain the block. the are hard to reach beneeth Manifolds and ususlly hard to get loose. But wen you do, replace them with "petcoks"
And draining is a breese next time
Posted By: nhramark

Re: Winter storage, empty radiator or put in anti-freeze? - 10/20/11 09:28 PM

Quote:

You have two drainplugs! Lowe on both side on the block. Remove them and you drain the block. the are hard to reach beneeth Manifolds and ususlly hard to get loose. But wen you do, replace them with "petcoks"

That's what I do, drain the radiator AND the block.
Posted By: mafo

Re: Winter storage, empty radiator or put in anti-freeze? - 10/20/11 09:34 PM

anti freeze prevents rust, just a thing to remember
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Winter storage, empty radiator or put in anti-freeze? - 10/20/11 09:55 PM

Quote:

anti freeze prevents rust, just a thing to remember

That and I've had them damn block drains be plugged
up with core sand ... it might dribble some and you
think its drained but its just plugged up...I always
use anti freeze when I put the car away
Posted By: PARTSMAN440

Re: Winter storage, empty radiator or put in anti-freeze? - 10/20/11 09:57 PM

For those of us with electric water pumps, cant you just flip the switch after draining the radiator and refilling with straight antifreeze, without starting the car? I have done this twice with out problems. just make sure you test the mix and add if needed.
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Winter storage, empty radiator or put in anti-freeze? - 10/20/11 10:03 PM

Quote:

For those of us with electric water pumps, cant you just flip the switch after draining the radiator and refilling with straight antifreeze, without starting the car? I have done this twice with out problems. just make sure you test the mix and add if needed.

Yep
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Winter storage, empty radiator or put in anti-freeze? - 10/20/11 11:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That's what I do, drain the radiator AND the block.

yup. AND THEN PUT ANTIFREEZE IN IT. then run it. every year i hear from someone around these parts who "drained it completely. i don't understand how this could have happened." a tiny bit of water in the wrong place- catastrophe. unless it doesn't get very cold where you guys are.
© 2024 Moparts Forums