Moparts

Guys with indy ez heads.

Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Guys with indy ez heads. - 10/20/11 02:43 AM

Any issue with them?
Like to do a 500ish inch stroker for the wagon, and was considering these. Not looking for all out HP, but i'd still like to go 12.0's, if she goes 11's i'd be elated.
My concern is how are they out of the box? need i change anything/cleanup, other than to match my springs to the cam? How is spark plug clearance? Would these require port matching the intake, or would that be only a small gain?

Thanks.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Guys with indy ez heads. - 10/20/11 03:25 AM

buy from Dwayne Porter and have him go over them.

your not asking for much so it will be no problem hitting your goals
Posted By: mopar65

Re: Guys with indy ez heads. - 10/20/11 03:36 AM

Quote:

thats wear i got mine from and Dwayne was great to work with. with a stock stroke 93 pump gas 440. So far i have ran a best of 10.68 at 125 in the 1/4 in a 3500 pound 73 dodge dart and i think theres more in it.i think they would work great on your 500. mopar65
Posted By: 383man

Re: Guys with indy ez heads. - 10/20/11 03:41 AM

I also bought mine from Dwayne Porter. He does great work and his price was very good. I also bought the Indy Dual plane intake and use it as it would work good on your heavier wagon. Mine is a 493. He opened the heads and intake up to max wedge size for me. You cant go wrong with Dwayne doing the heads for you. Ron

Posted By: AndyF

Re: Guys with indy ez heads. - 10/20/11 05:13 AM

Edelbrock RPM heads would be less expensive and still meet your goals. Nothing wrong with the EZ heads, but you really don't need them to do what you want.

Have Dwayne port a set of RPM heads for you and call it good.
Posted By: jvcuda

Re: Guys with indy ez heads. - 10/20/11 05:23 AM

Running high 11's with slightly modified cast iron 346 heads in my '73 cuda at 3500lbs.So the Ez heads should do that no problem.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Guys with indy ez heads. - 10/20/11 05:31 AM

Yes, cast iron heads would also run low 12's. So would cast iron heads with cast exhaust manifolds!

But it is just easier, and probably less expensive, to use some aluminum heads and headers.
Posted By: jvcuda

Re: Guys with indy ez heads. - 10/20/11 05:59 AM

Andy,I agree 100%,I plan on getting the eddy's rpm heads as soon as I can afford them.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Guys with indy ez heads. - 10/20/11 11:50 AM

Stock out of the box EZ heads on a mild pump gas 512RB gets it done at 10.21 at 132mph...

Posted By: Dean_Kuzluzski

Re: Guys with indy ez heads. - 10/21/11 03:03 AM

Sounds like a street/strip car??

Seems like a set of Indy's would bring up the hp & torq #'s to the level that one could dial back the converter/gearing needed to get ironheads to run the same numbers???? Read: More docile street car.

I've freshened several sets of home ported ironheads for less than 1/2 of what Edelbrocks would have cost me.

And NOW jumped past the Edelbrocks with a slightly used set of Indy EZ-1's (Max Wedge ports). Last set of wedge heads for me. Don't plan on buying an aftermarket block so these heads will test all my surplus factory blocks just fine.

Save your $ and do some Indy EZ-1's.
Posted By: rva

Re: Guys with indy ez heads. - 10/21/11 11:27 AM

quote]
Quote:

thats wear i got mine from and Dwayne was great to work with. with a stock stroke 93 pump gas 440. So far i have ran a best of 10.68 at 125 in the 1/4 in a 3500 pound 73 dodge dart and i think theres more in it.i think they would work great on your 500. mopar65

Posted By: CRT

Re: Guys with indy ez heads. - 10/21/11 03:49 PM

4 years on my EZs, ran a best of 9.94 @ 134
Dwayne Porter did my port work
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Guys with indy ez heads. - 10/21/11 09:34 PM

Dwayne did my SR heads, and my buddies EZ heads. Both of us are happy with the results.

Jeff
Posted By: racerx

Re: Guys with indy ez heads. - 10/21/11 10:38 PM

Seems like nothing but good words about Dwayne porter where's he located?Does he have a website?
Posted By: 1964superstock

Re: Guys with indy ez heads. - 10/21/11 10:41 PM

I would also suggest looking into buying a set of Indy EZ heads that have been CNC ported by Jeff @ Modern Cylinder Head (MCH).

MCH has also done the hemi heads for Dave Dudek's F.A.S.T. '69 Roadrunner that is unreal fast. http://fastraces.org/members/fastraces/f...fa!OpenDocument

I believe MCH charges a $950.00 for full CNC porting, valve job, deck, and reassemble in addition to the cost of the heads. Here is the flow sheet of CNC ported Indy EZ heads from MCH. Tough to beat for the money!

You can contact Jeff @ Modern Cylinder Head by email: MODERNCYL@aol.com or call 586-468-7914, website: http://www.moderncylinderhead.com/

I personally have a 505 cubic inch 440 block based Max Wedge, that made 620 HP/620 TQ on the dyno with pump gas, using a set of Edelbrock RPM heads CNC ported by MCH. This power level was obtained using a original style max wedge intake with 2-600 cfm edelbrock carbs and a flat tappet cam 259/263 @ 0.050. I'm sure the max wedge intake manifold and edelbrock carbs are choking the engine down at least 50 HP or more vs. using a single plane with a good 1000 cfm carb. MCH heads work, the results show for themselves.

Attached picture 6882343-MCHEZheadsflow.png

Re: Guys with indy ez heads. - 10/21/11 11:11 PM

My EZ heads were just opened up to Max Wedge size and just a little touch up porting from Dwayne. They flowed 329 at .600. I know Dwayne could get much more out of them but thats all I needed. If I ever go with more eng I can still port my heads for more flow. Ron
Posted By: 1964superstock

Re: Guys with indy ez heads. - 10/21/11 11:20 PM

Here is the flow sheet of Edelbrock RPM heads that have been CNC ported by Modern Cylinder Head. Impressive to say the least for a stock replacement style head, and intake port 255 cc in size. A set of these heads would also work awesome on your 500ish inch stroker for the wagon. Tons of port velocity for low and mid range torque.

Attached picture 6882398-MCHEdelbrockRPMFlow.png

Re: Guys with indy ez heads. - 10/22/11 12:02 AM

Thanks for all the replies fellas. Adding all this info to my list. I know that i'll have to do something to upgrade the trans( i want to keep the pushbuttons) and have to do something to get the rear to live in this thing with all the weight and some HP in front of it. I'm already plaining on a 140gph pump and 3/8 line.
I'll have to have a set of headers custom made as well as a 3in exhaust.
I'm just looking into all the roads that would help me get to my goals.
I'm doin all this in cash (i don't use credit cards) so it'll take a bit to get all these parts together.
I don't mind spending more money on parts, if it'll result of a less radical engine that will still get me my goal.
I'll look into contacting Dwayne, as well as MCH. I just don't like wasting peoples time on the phone, if i'm not going to spend the money soon. I know these people have a business, and their time is valuable. My pipe dream is to have it all done by Carlisle.

Re: Guys with indy ez heads. - 10/29/11 09:45 PM

anyone know how much taller these heads are? as far as deck to valve cover mounting surface? The heater box on the '58 take up the like 80% of the firewall, and i may not have room if these heads are taller.
Posted By: topbrent

Re: Guys with indy ez heads. - 10/29/11 10:40 PM

Quote:

SpacemanSpiff: anyone know how much taller these heads are? as far as deck to valve cover mounting surface? The heater box on the '58 take up the like 80% of the firewall, and i may not have room if these heads are taller.

Re: Guys with indy ez heads. - 10/29/11 11:21 PM

Well then, looks like that idea won't work.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Guys with indy ez heads. - 10/30/11 01:01 AM

Well you could always go with the Stealth or Eddy heads and get the same results.The only reason I went with the Indy's is so I have room to grow I would consider notching and boxing the heater box in your car.Also with the EZ's all you really need to do is clean and blend the bowls,trim down the push-rod pinch,and just clean up the ports a little bit and they work very well.Just make sure you buy them from someone that will check the valve job and set the springs up for you.I wouldn't use the Indy springs and retainers,and some builders won't use the valves either for roller spring pressures.
I got mine from Nick at www.compu-flow.com Great guy and really knows the Indy heads.
Gus

Attached picture 6894329-burnoutpicturegus.JPG
Posted By: viperblue72

Re: Guys with indy ez heads. - 10/30/11 03:18 AM

I agree that edelbrocks would be a better choice for you, especially out of the box.
The eddies small port velocity along with 500 cubes would be a torque monster that wouldn't have any problem getting that pig moving. Also 440source sells the modern cnc ported stealths for under 2k.

Re: Guys with indy ez heads. - 10/30/11 05:21 AM

I went with the Indy EZ heads for the same reason Gus did. Room to grow and go faster down the road if I would want to step it up a little. The EZ's have more potential when worked all out over the Eddy's and Stealth.

But I do agree the Eddy's or stealth's will work fine on your combo. Dont get me wrong as they are great heads I just feel the EZ's have more potential to be worked more. Ron
Posted By: 67mprfan

Re: Guys with indy ez heads. - 10/30/11 07:43 AM

As mentioned there are great guys to buy from and won't steer you wrong I got mine from Nick @ compu-flow. ez-1
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: Guys with indy ez heads. - 10/30/11 04:27 PM

I'll be pulling my eddy heads off my dart for next year and plan on installing cnc 440-1's.
Posted By: afxcoronet

Re: Guys with indy ez heads. - 10/30/11 04:30 PM

I got my MW EZs through Dwayne Porter, and his service has been second to none. They have been 9.40s in 3200lb car...

Curtis
Posted By: Charger453

Re: Guys with indy ez heads. - 10/30/11 04:46 PM

If you think you'll want room to grow down the road, I'd go with the Indys. You say you want low 12's, high 11's ... but once you get there, you want more. If you think the Indys won't clear the heater box and you don't want to cut stuff up, Edelbrock RPM's will get the job done. I have a set of hand ported RPM's on a 453 (400 stroker) in my 3800-3900 lb Charger. She just clicked off a 6.79 in the 1/8, approx 10.70 in the 1/4. Edelbrocks will get you there.
© 2024 Moparts Forums