Moparts

rear wings

Posted By: Rich970

rear wings - 10/16/11 04:36 PM

i have a few questions about rear wings. what are the advandages of having one ? when is it nessary to have one ? what is the difference in styles like the ones with it spill plates ? thanks Rich
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: rear wings - 10/16/11 05:25 PM

Quote:

i have a few questions about rear wings. what are the advandages of having one ? when is it nessary to have one ? what is the difference in styles like the ones with it spill plates ? thanks Rich

Shape of the back of the car makes a MAJOR difference,
on my car it was day and night difference... my car
doesnt have a long back end and the air was coming
off the roof line and dropping about 6" behind the
hatch cover... I was actually spinning on top end
because the back was trying to lift... I added the
wing and picked up 3 mph and control of the car...
the spill plates hold the air on top of the wing
instead of letting it fall off the sides... just
like winglets on the ends of a airplane wing

Re: rear wings - 10/17/11 03:10 AM

MR P thanks for the reply . so far i have no top end traction or control or wandering problems. it is a 69 dart the trunk might be longer than yours. so is the gain from a rear wing mostly from beter traction and control ?

Re: rear wings - 10/17/11 03:16 AM

Quote:

MR P thanks for the reply . so far i have no top end traction or control or wandering problems. it is a 69 dart the trunk might be longer than yours. so is the gain from a rear wing mostly from beter traction and control ?

In my case it was traction... and in gaining traction
I also gained a LOT more control
Posted By: tubtar

Re: rear wings - 10/17/11 06:49 AM

I think stability will be the biggest benefit on my chariot , but I have less power and more trunk than your car , Mike.
It is a '65 dart , but the deck lid drops off more than the later Darts.
It will definitely help traction , but my thoughts were keeping it from wandering while down track.

Attached picture 6875264-TIRES011.jpg
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: rear wings - 10/17/11 05:37 PM

A wing will slow you down or so I have been told,have not tried my dragster with it off yet. If you have no handling or traction problems there is no need for one.

For some reason everyone has been having more problems this year with their cars wanting to wander,I had to put more angle in my wing because of that.I think it has a lot to do with the temp. being so much higher this year,I have seen the track temp. in the 140 degree range a good bit this year. The problem with a lot of door-cars doing that is the rear of the car sits a little higher than the front. A front air dam to keep as much air as possible from going under the car might be a better choice than a rear wing.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: rear wings - 10/17/11 06:00 PM

Kind of funny. May or may not be realted. My buddy has a 68 Chevelle that runs in the heads up classses. Car goes 7.60's on drag radials with a big ole custom made wing on the back. We were in one of the finals & had starting issue (battery dead. Had to run back to trailer to get cables & jump started off of my golf cart. Took numerous attempts to try to start. Official's said time was up. Opponent took his time & idled up to the burnout box but did not do burnout.
We finally got it fired & drove right up to the burnout box. Car had a lift off decklid with all of the strut supports rods holding it up. We did not have time to put it back together. Officials let us make the run with no deck lid.
The car went 3 MPH faster than it ever has gone before. We won the race too. Won $1500, we gave $300 to the opponent for giving us the extra time. I am still up in the air if the truly work or not???? As mentioned body styles makes a difference too.

Re: rear wings - 10/17/11 10:20 PM

i was wondering if it could slow the car down. thanks again for the info everyone.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: rear wings - 10/17/11 11:33 PM

If the car over-steers (nervous), even if you don't lose traction, a wing may help but only if this happens at speed. If it always happens, look at weight dist., tire pressure, etc. first.
If the car has neutral or slight under-steer at speed, the wing will slow you down and you gain nothing.
A wing converts drag to down-force, more angle = more of both. Too much angle: the wing stalls and stops helping (but steals huge power). Too little angle: may even create lift, because the angle is NOT to horizontal but to the natural path of air coming off the roof. This is generally slightly down, so even a wing horizontal to the ground gives some drag.
The best angle will vary with trap speed, you need more angle to get an effect in the 1/8 mile.
If the car feels stable, crank the wing up 2° and see if your speed is up.
If it still wanders or needs to be corrected, point the nose down 2°.
Not to be obvious, but: if you do a 180°, the wing becomes a lift force and unloads the rear tires.
Spill plates are for limited wing spans where more width is illegal or impractical.

Trivia: Mercedes had a large pop-up wing with very high angle attached to the rear deck of a 1955 (?) 300SLR roadster, activated by the brake pedal. Step down, the wing grabs lots of air and slows the car down. Similar to the dive brake on aircraft.
Posted By: jcc

Re: rear wings - 10/18/11 12:09 AM

Quote:

A wing converts drag to down-force, more angle = more of both. Too much angle: the wing stalls and stops helping (but steals huge power). Too little angle: may even create lift, because the angle is NOT to horizontal but to the natural path of air coming off the roof. This is generally slightly down, so even a wing horizontal to the ground gives some drag.

I would describe a "wing" on cars as a negative lift device. And the "spill"/"end" plates mentioned on a wing are more to prevent air from leaking underneath to the bottom low pressure side of the wing. A "spoiler" has "end" plates to keep the high pressure above the flat? surface upstream of the spoiler. A wing is designed for negative lift vs low drag up until as you mentioned stall occurs. A spoiler is all about drag increasing with downforce.

And since most of the devices discussed above are behind rear axle, any rear downforce causes geometricly similiar front end lift, with no other changes.

And regarding the Mercedes 55 flap, bet it sure destablized the car at speed suddenly say in the rain when the brakes were stabbed
Posted By: Super Scamp

Re: rear wings - 10/18/11 12:30 AM

I see my wing as :

1. 2.35 lbs over any fiberglass/steel decklid.
2. Down force @ 150+ mph helps at the big end, really helped at the track with a cross wind @ 20mph gusting. (Stayed in the groove)
3. Looks great and I know it works for the car.

Attached picture 6876225-lily015.JPG
Posted By: Gary Robbins

Re: rear wings - 10/18/11 01:32 AM

And to think all this time i thought they were for looks only

Attached picture 6876327-silverfish339.JPG
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: rear wings - 10/18/11 02:12 AM

I thought the flat ones like the one on the above Barracuda were good pic nic tables, or shop benches
...LOL
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: rear wings - 10/18/11 02:13 AM

Quote:

Absolutely not, I want one just like that for a Dart... just for the looks

Re: rear wings - 10/18/11 02:18 AM

On my car the back end always seemed loose at 135 mph
but one day I had a 20mph quartering head wind and
when I hit 135 the back lifted right off the ground...
I ended up in the other lane just missing the other car
so I put it in the trailer... come Monday I went to
talk to the wind tunnel guys and they showed me some
smoke footage of my body style... the air came off the
roof line and dropped off the back end about 6"-8"
behind the car... all of the area behind the roof
line was a negative pressure and would try to lift
the back end... after seeing that I went to the wing...
I tried the spoiler style first with a adjustable
upper so I could make it taller... that worked ok but
the flatter longer wing worked better with less drag
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: rear wings - 10/18/11 04:11 AM

I'll be more careful not to post next time.

Re: rear wings - 10/18/11 11:38 AM

so with no control or traction problems . it will go straight down the grove no steering or loose feeling chirping the tires each shift (4 speed) best so far 8.509 @157.69 i think i will leave the wing off for now . again everyone thanks

Re: rear wings - 10/18/11 12:12 PM

how do you tell the difference betwen a spoiler and wing ?

Re: rear wings - 10/18/11 12:45 PM

Quote:

how do you tell the difference betwen a spoiler and wing ?

TO ME... the spoiler stuck UP into the air flow(like
the spoiler on a old camero) and a wing was more horizontal
with the air flow... a wing is usually longer... JMO
Posted By: nhramark

Re: rear wings - 10/18/11 02:21 PM

At the NMCA finals in Memphis a few years ago, I messed up on a qualifying run and ruined the favorable index I had already established. (they lower your best et by .1 and that is your index)

Since the car wasn't fast enough to run the new index, we stripped it. Pulled the bumpers, tail light assemblies, carpet, door panels, wheelie bars, AND the rear wing. At almost 150 mph the Duster behaved exactly the same with or without the wing.

My wing is not that large, and Dusters have a pretty big decklid area so maybe that is why it didn't care about the change. I'm sure the body style has a huge effect on downtrack stability, maybe a bigger effect than the wing itself.

Attached picture 6876941-kshe5.jpg
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: rear wings - 10/18/11 04:49 PM

This is what 'Wing" looks like on the back of mine. In this picture I had set the angle of the wing topside to be neutral,but due to the underside of the wing it caused it to lift the rear of the dragster. You would think on a 1/8 mile track it would make no difference but I knew something was wrong by the 330'mark and by the 1/8 mile it was on the raged edge. Don't be fooled by thinking a wing or rear spoiler makes no difference like some people think to you get up to 140-150 mph.

Attached picture 6877100-mmp15.jpg.jpg
Posted By: Super Scamp

Re: rear wings - 10/18/11 05:38 PM

My wing on the Super Scamp has helped with the 1320FT 150mph run, but I wonder if running with out it.. Would the car pick up or slow down.
The car leaves hard like digging a hole at the line and lifting the front wheels about 4" off the ground then straight as an arrow down the track..for a best run of 9.12 @151mph. She has more in her, I should try to test it with out the wing but then I would have a hole in the trunk area .

Attached picture 6877152-lily025.JPG

Re: rear wings - 10/18/11 10:04 PM

Quote:

how do you tell the difference between a spoiler and wing ?

By my defintion, a spoiler has air flow/contact on mainly one side and that side is usually a high pressure area, a wing its flow on both sides, and with proper design the lower air pressure side being more productive in creating downforce on a "wing".

Re: rear wings - 10/18/11 10:09 PM

Quote:

I'll be more careful not to post next time.

Then I promise not to reply next time
Posted By: 572_dup2

Re: rear wings - 10/19/11 12:42 AM

I took mine off last year it picked up 1 mph but didn't drive good. I just took it off again tonight going to try it again this weekend.
Posted By: 9 Sec Phill

Re: rear wings - 10/19/11 01:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Absolutely not, I want one just like that for a Dart... just for the looks

I agree Jim.

Attached picture 6877839-073.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums