Moparts

bb or sb turbo a body

Posted By: 71Pan

bb or sb turbo a body - 10/01/11 07:04 AM

any bb manifolds that would work in a body
any sb manifolds that would work in a body
have a bunch bb stuff but if a small block is less hassle to turbo ai will go that route. I am going turbo dont know what direction?? car is painted dana 60 built with 4.10 that will need to be changed. I woul like the car to run 10.0 cars 1s 3400 28 tall tire caltracs and caged. I have a steel 4.0 stroke sb crank and a 71 360 block please give me your input this is all new to me but awesome.A car you can actually drive and is fast WOW
Posted By: feets

Re: bb or sb turbo a body - 10/01/11 01:56 PM

The B/RB will require cutting up the engine compartment. If that doesn't bother you, go for it. The package will be VERY tight under the hood.
Turbo power is less about the inches and more about the heads. Go with the combination that has the best heads.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: bb or sb turbo a body - 10/01/11 02:17 PM

what he said. BB will give you much more power but it will require more "cutting" than a SB.
Posted By: CUUDAK

Re: bb or sb turbo a body - 10/01/11 03:13 PM

Quote:

The B/RB will require cutting up the engine compartment. If that doesn't bother you, go for it. The package will be VERY tight under the hood.
Turbo power is less about the inches and more about the heads. Go with the combination that has the best heads.

X2!!

I went the single T6 and regret it! Large 5" dp was a beeatch to get out the engine compartment. I did it with cutting the apron. Much easier to go twins, small or big block is your choice. Definitly easier to get two 3" dp out than the 5"....

Attached picture 6850792-progress002.JPG
Posted By: SLOW67

Re: bb or sb turbo a body - 10/01/11 03:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

X2!!

I went the single T6 and regret it! Large 5" dp was a beeatch to get out the engine compartment. I did it with cutting the apron. Much easier to go twins, small or big block is your choice. Definitly easier to get two 3" dp out than the 5"....

My SB was hard enough to fit in the engine bay and my 3.5 dp had to exit out the fenderwell like header. With my patience a BB would have been out of the question If you had a FULL cage and could loose your inner fenderwells it would probably be easier

Attached picture 6850797-IMG00272-20110911-1901.jpg
Posted By: feets

Re: bb or sb turbo a body - 10/01/11 06:50 PM

The hot rod's engine compartment is not much bigger than an A body's. It took lots of time to lay this thing out. I ended up cutting holes in the aprons and sticking the turbos half under the fenders.

Posted By: turboplymouth

Re: bb or sb turbo a body - 10/01/11 08:04 PM

I went with a bb for the higher HP capability (as far as OEM blocks are concerned). I think I would do a sb for a big single, or do twins next time for fitment issues.
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: bb or sb turbo a body - 10/08/11 01:34 AM

The BB is a much stouter package as far as the skirted block and 5 bolts/cyl instead of SB's 4.

There are a few guys that have been very successful with fast SBs, though, so it's not a cut/dry rule.

But in an A-body, I think a SB is much more likely to reach completion and be a better-engineered package on the first shot.

consider also that if you get 200 more HP from a BB it means nothing unless you get it to the ground, so there's more weight and expense and chassis setup.

K.I.S.S.
Posted By: joshking440

Re: bb or sb turbo a body - 10/12/11 03:16 PM

if you build headers a low deck in an abody will fit with out any cutting of the wells, but im not sure if you are wanting to build headers
Posted By: sdaurity

Re: bb or sb turbo a body - 10/12/11 03:22 PM

I am looking to sell my 2" low deck turbo headers and crossover pipe with t-6 flange, 2 60 mm wastegates all stainless steel.

Re: bb or sb turbo a body - 10/12/11 08:44 PM

Quote:

if you build headers a low deck in an abody will fit with out any cutting of the wells, but im not sure if you are wanting to build headers

how can he run a turbo and not build custom headers?
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: bb or sb turbo a body - 10/13/11 12:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Factory exhaust manifold turned around. But he needs to have stock exhaust bolt pattern on the heads he chooses. Me I would do a small block, you only want to go 10.0s and that is easy to do with the small block.

Re: bb or sb turbo a body - 10/13/11 01:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Factory exhaust manifold turned around. But he needs to have stock exhaust bolt pattern on the heads he chooses. Me I would do a small block, you only want to go 10.0s and that is easy to do with the small block.

one can go 10's with a fairly mild N/A BB.
Posted By: ahy

Re: bb or sb turbo a body - 10/13/11 03:04 AM

The OP said a car you can actually drive and is fast... an A with a turbo SB is certainly fast. An A with a BB can be fast but doesn't drive so well. A BB is a lot of weight in an A.

I'd go SB to keep weight down with better fit an important bonus.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: bb or sb turbo a body - 10/13/11 03:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

one can go 10's with a fairly mild N/A BB.

You can go 9.90s with a indy headed sb N/A too(ask me how I know). But OP said turbo is what he wants.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: bb or sb turbo a body - 10/16/11 05:26 PM

I'm notta turbo guy but will suggest a roll cage that will cert to 8.50.
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: bb or sb turbo a body - 10/16/11 06:33 PM

"You can go 9.90s with a indy headed sb N/A too"

It sure can be done! Im curious as to the gearing, converter, cam, compression.

Re: bb or sb turbo a body - 10/17/11 09:56 PM

Quote:

You'll need much more cam, much more compression, much more stall and much more gear w/ the SB.
The good thing about boost is you don't need any of that. Buddy ran 8.44 @ 174 w/ his S/B (396) turbo car w/ 3.73 rear.
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: bb or sb turbo a body - 10/18/11 03:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You'll need much more cam, much more compression, much more stall and much more gear w/ the SB.
The good thing about boost is you don't need any of that. Buddy ran 8.44 @ 174 w/ his S/B (396) turbo car w/ 3.73 rear.

BINGO!

In about 3 to 4 weeks I will post the results of my passes with a stock block, home ported Eddy heads, 220/.520 hydrualic cam, 3.55 gear, 2500 converter, pump gas, shifting at 6000 rpms.

Attached picture 6876499-MotorTop.jpg
Posted By: fishy340

Re: bb or sb turbo a body - 10/26/11 01:21 AM

5500 stall,3.91 gear,28x10.5 tire through full exhaust 3000lb 9.62 on pump gas sb o yea indy headed
© 2024 Moparts Forums