Moparts

UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY???

Posted By: Labratt

UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY??? - 09/28/11 07:54 PM

Has one brand been deemed "BETTER" than the others?...as far as octane consistency and chemical composition? Pump gas only...not Rockett,or anything else that you can buy in 55 gal. drums! Thanks in advance! Randy

Attached picture 6846514-GTXONTRAILER005.jpg
Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

Re: UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY??? - 09/28/11 09:14 PM

Not sure about now a days but a few yrs ago I would only use Sunoco 93/94 and if I couldnt get that I would get Mobil 93
Posted By: kissmyaspen

Re: UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY??? - 09/28/11 09:21 PM

Quote:

Not sure about now a days but a few yrs ago I would only use Sunoco 93/94 and if I couldnt get that I would get Mobil 93

i know the sunoco in my town is using a different fuel in there tanks then they did 2 years ago. now im running 110 in mine, cuz i have been having some problems that i beleive to be fuel related.
Posted By: 383man

Re: UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY??? - 09/28/11 09:22 PM

Not that I have noticed. I have put 92 shell and off brand gas in mine and 93 Sunoco with no difference noted in performance. Last time I went to the track I stopped at the 7/11 and put 10 gallons of 92 in and raced on that. Ron
Posted By: HEMIDARTS

Re: UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY??? - 09/28/11 09:52 PM

My friend did a bunch of research on this last year.
He came up Shell as the best in the NE ohio area.

I run there V-power 92-93 in my Dart.

I also run there 87 in my every day driver.

I get better milage when i stick with Shell.

I notice a difference when i run anything else.
Posted By: Baxter61

Re: UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY??? - 09/28/11 10:18 PM

theres a chart available on the net from "big brother" that shows consistency and quality amongst the top 25 or so brands. It was posted in the Q&A section about a year or two ago; a search may prove useful.
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY??? - 09/28/11 11:18 PM

Quote:

My friend did a bunch of research on this last year.
He came up Shell as the best in the NE ohio area.

I run there V-power 92-93 in my Dart.

I also run there 87 in my every day driver.

I get better milage when i stick with Shell.

I notice a difference when i run anything else.

i've got some friends who do some testing and shell always comes up on top.

Re: UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY??? - 09/28/11 11:25 PM

Sounds like Shell gets the "early" nod! Thanks for the info,guys!
Posted By: moderncylinder

Re: UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY??? - 09/29/11 01:01 AM

i was told by the owner of the gulf station at elizabeth and groesbeck,,,,, that amoco is the best,, then shell,, then mobil

i bought a new mustang boss 302,, and was wondering this myself,, since i want to put "good" gas in it
Posted By: HEMIDARTS

Re: UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY??? - 09/29/11 01:10 AM

Quote:

i was told by the owner of the gulf station at elizabeth and groesbeck,,,,, that amoco is the best,, then shell,, then mobil

i bought a new mustang boss 302,, and was wondering this myself,, since i want to put "good" gas in it

There are not any Amoco stations left around here.
The old amoco is now a shell.
But didnt amoco end up merging with BP?
I think all the BP's say amoco on them?

On a side note my other friend swears that BP is the best.
But he also owns stock in BP so that might sway his judgement!?

Attached picture 6846905-bp-station-rebranding-amoco.jpg
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY??? - 09/29/11 02:37 AM

i try to only use BP as it seems much better than some others including Sonoco. mobil and shell are not common around me though either.

all new gas sucks though.

Drag Week story.

at one of the checkpoints, a guy was complaining about his carb running like crap, jokingly my friend says, ask Ray, he has 3 of them on his motor. so i went over to look at it. i asked him to take the air cleaner off and there it was plain as day, fuel pumping out of the squirters. the car was not running. just sitting there. i said your boiling your fuel. he said engine is running 30 degrees hotter than when he runs e85.

not many e85 stations so he was switching carbs for the rides between tracks

Re: UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY??? - 09/29/11 03:39 AM

Jeff..wasn't that a BP station a while back..that sold Amoco gas? I vividly remember Amoco commercials..and their stating to have the highest quality gas on the market! I'm just wondering if I'm short-changing myself,by using Speedway gas in the GTX?! Maybe I should do a google search on gas quality testing! Thanks for the info,fellas!
Posted By: MegaDart

Re: UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY??? - 09/29/11 01:36 PM

We sold and ran Amoco 93 premium when I worked at Mercedes/Benz. That is all my Ford buddy and myself would run.
Have you considered marine fuel?? Anything sans Ethanol has to be better then pump stuff. I run 90 octane recreation only fuel in my boat, generators and lawnmowers and very happy with it.

dude, you missed out on all the BIG fish!! We caught 22 Tarpon this season, over a dozen jewfish, lots of snook, redfish and seatrout!! Shark bite is hot right now.

Re: UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY??? - 09/29/11 01:52 PM

Thanks for that info,Wayne! Lots of marina's 30-45 min. from here! So..none of the gas for boat usage has ethanol added? Is it worth paying extra for it? FISHING?!!! Sounds like you had a BLAST! Now..You know you'll have to send me your address,and phone number in a PM! My wife and I are planning to come down to the Gulf Coast again,either in March..or April! I'd LOVE to go out..and catch some REAL fish...not 6" Grunt fish!
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY??? - 09/29/11 02:00 PM

I personally have not seen any difference b/t brands. I normally run Shell. I have been having issues the past couple years w/ rattling the converter bolts loose b/c of detonation. Not audible, but it is doing it. Just replaced the flexplate and bolts due to this.
I recently found a store locally that has ethanol free fuel so I'll be trying that soon. If the ethanol free stuff doesn't help, then I'm gonna have to start mixing again. Makes me mad b/c the whole reason I built this hemi is b/c I was tired of buying race fuel.
Seems like the last couple years the pump fuel has really gotten bad.
Posted By: POS Dakota

Re: UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY??? - 09/29/11 02:06 PM

Quote:

Ever been to the BP station at 11 mile and little mack?
They sell 110 leaded in the summer...their 93 is good too.

I also like Marathon 93 believe it or not. Runs great in my 20 psi turbo caliber.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY??? - 09/29/11 02:15 PM

Quote:

I personally have not seen any difference b/t brands. I normally run Shell. I have been having issues the past couple years w/ rattling the converter bolts loose b/c of detonation. Not audible, but it is doing it. Just replaced the flexplate and bolts due to this.
I recently found a store locally that has ethanol free fuel so I'll be trying that soon. If the ethanol free stuff doesn't help, then I'm gonna have to start mixing again. Makes me mad b/c the whole reason I built this hemi is b/c I was tired of buying race fuel.
Seems like the last couple years the pump fuel has really gotten bad.

I also had som pinging this summer where I had always ran my timing, and had to re tune a little. I also had a convertor bolt and a trans bolt come loose I caught...Pump gas has gotten bad, and all we have around here now is 91 junk fuel with ethanol.
Posted By: BradH

Re: UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY??? - 09/29/11 02:21 PM

The only data I have on pump gas analysis is so outdated it can't be relevant anymore w/ today's blends (old David Vizard stuff from the '90s). I think it's all sh!t these days, but FWIW I use either Sunoco or Shell when I have the choice.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY??? - 09/29/11 02:26 PM

Just a word for you guys.... if you see a tanker truck
in the station dumping fuel.... pass on your fill up
for a hour or so.... as he is dumping fuel in the tanks
he is stirring up the water at the bottom(ALL of the
tanks have water in them)... let it settle out then
you can fill
Posted By: POS Dakota

Re: UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY??? - 09/29/11 02:59 PM

Quote:

The only data I have on pump gas analysis is so outdated it can't be relevant anymore w/ today's blends (old David Vizard stuff from the '90s). I think it's all sh!t these days, but FWIW I use either Sunoco or Shell when I have the choice.

It is all crap compared to what it once was, I'll give you that!
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY??? - 09/29/11 03:07 PM

I did some dyno testing with a couple of different pump premiums (93 octane) earlier this year. I used to run Sunoco in my last street car and found that my local Citgo fuel made a noticable difference in hp and tq.
I have not tried the Shell stuff yet,I guess I will try that next time I have a pump gas build on the dyno.
Keith
Posted By: Mac's Hemi 64

Re: UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY??? - 09/29/11 03:13 PM

Quote:

you can fill

Not true since ethanol's introduction. Keeps water out in big tanks just like little tanks.
Posted By: emarine01

Re: UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY??? - 09/29/11 03:19 PM

Quote:

you can fill

Humm.... Fuel tanks... I have seen one or two over the years, The fuel quality is only one part of the equation, the required testing of bulk fuel batches provides protection that most all fuels are good @ that point... the storage and distribution system plays a huge part in what you burn, some stations maintain their systems better than others, some don't maintain @ all...not even a pump filter those are the ones to avoid cause in effect you are cleaning the storage tank when you buy your fuel If your fuel has ethanol and you live on the east coast in a humid location, pump a new gal into a see thru container and let it sit for a week @ check out what you paid close to 4 bucks for
Posted By: MegaDart

Re: UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY??? - 09/29/11 07:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

you can fill

Not true since ethanol's introduction. Keeps water out in big tanks just like little tanks.

I don't get that one??
Ethanol is hygroscopic and phase separation is a huge problem in marine apps.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY??? - 09/29/11 09:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

you can fill

So you think there isnt water setting in the bottom
of a stations tanks... You think the ethanol just
absorbs the water and holds it... let it set and
you'll see
Posted By: imfixinmopars426

Re: UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY??? - 09/29/11 09:56 PM

we can pull right up to the av-gas pump and fill the car...owner says he dont care,lol...thats the best pump gas around here!
Posted By: rapom

Re: UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY??? - 09/30/11 12:15 AM

Another nod to shell V-power in the Sandusky OH area. I used to run BP but about 15 years ago I switch to shell. Had bad spark knock with a new engine for several years and figured the comp. was to high. My brother told me to try shell and that cured my problem. Since then it is all I use.

Re: UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY??? - 09/30/11 12:56 AM

Rapom..could you give me some details about the engine that was "cured" by the Shell gas? Especially your compression ratio! Thanks!

Re: UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY??? - 09/30/11 01:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

you can fill

Rut Row.... Your not the guy that makes the BP commercials about how safe fracking is

Re: UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY??? - 09/30/11 01:35 AM

Those durn Frackers!!!
Posted By: Mac's Hemi 64

Re: UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY??? - 09/30/11 02:45 PM

Not that fracker guy. Just my opinion after 30 plus years of Wholesale and Retail gasoline sales. My current C-store in Missouri that has mandatory ethanol blending,has shown that water will not stay in the tanks. I also have 10micron fuel filters that would plug immediatly if trapping any water. This is a higher volume store so that phase seperation is not an issue. However, my research indicates that all ethanol blended fuel will be phase seperating in 90 days irregardless of any aftermarket additives. So if you have had it that long, get rid of it.

Re: UNLEADED PREMIUM QUALITY??? - 09/30/11 03:36 PM

Ok Mac... ya got me beat by a few years, We have been cleaning fuel tanks & recycling fuel for around 20 odd years now, As far as the 10mic filters you are way better than most Ethanol does not seem to be a problem till ya get into very high humidity locations where phase separation happens in around 1 week, Ethanol sucks up water like a dry sponge, <hydroscopic> and the water weight drops the ethanol to the bottom of the tank<instant phase seperation> The only way it wont happen in in a non vented storage tank, The problem is so bad in Eastern NC most marinas wont sell E10 & the ones that do have a very profitable fuel system repair service, You are lucky you dont have to deal with the E fuel problems we have here on the coast
© 2024 Moparts Forums