Moparts

Some more small block victor head info

Posted By: B3422W5

Some more small block victor head info - 09/24/11 02:05 PM

Good buddy of mine from here local is down in Indy this weekend and had a chance to talk to hughes and look at a protype victor head they have down there.

Guess they have a 2.150 intake valve, and 1.60 exhaust. He said it looks very similar on the exhaust port side to a W5 exhaust port. The intake runner is raised quite a bit. The Hughes guys said the head should be capable of flowing 350 cfm. Also said they will take a big block style shaft mount rocker system, and that the cost of these heads shouldnt be much higher than a standard small block Eddie head
My buddy was under the impression an indy intake MIGHT be what is used initially.
If most of this turns out to be the case, all i can say is wow
Supposed to be available next summer hopefully, we will see.

Sheesh, a head like that even setting on a flattop slugged pumpgas 340 with some camshaft would even make some serious steam
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 09/24/11 03:05 PM

Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 09/24/11 03:17 PM

I was told that they plan on showing ( releasing?) them at this years PRI show.
Posted By: emarine01

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 09/24/11 03:47 PM

All sounds good.... anyone got some pics
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 09/24/11 10:12 PM

Sounds really good, But I'm hoping they'll be saavy enough to also offer an alternate 'small valve' (2.02") version.....My bet is not everybody is gonna want to do a piston swap to run a new head....And to take a BOLT-ON off the table is really going to limit sales
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 09/25/11 03:29 AM

this may be a good reason to rethink my plans about going to a BB for some affordable power.
Posted By: DakFink

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 09/25/11 06:25 AM

There are several 2.02 heads out there now. Including the current Edelbrocks.

Sounds like they are filling the Gap between the Indy 360-1 at 2.100 intake and the W7,8,&9s which usually come with 2.180-2.20 Intake valves.

I'm just hoping that 350cfm is OOTB and not ported. If it is potential looks really good.

I've got a Lil Street engine I want to build, and 2.02 don't fit the bill but W-series stuff would be too much $$$$ for an N/A 59* street engine.
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 09/25/11 06:45 AM

Quote:

I'm just hoping that 350cfm is OOTB and not ported. If it is potential looks really good.

ya think?
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 09/25/11 12:57 PM

Quote:

All sounds good.... anyone got some pics

X2

this sounds exiting
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 09/25/11 03:04 PM

If you could get 310-320 real CFM at say .600 lift with a 2.02 and bolt on an existing shortblock it would still sell much better (volume wise) than a 350cfm big valver. Edelbrock wants to sell in Volume to the street enthusiast first and foremost, the racer is still important but that wouldn't be their ultimate goal, not for a low volume head (compared to a SBC or SBF). And also I'll bet 85% of the blocks out there are 318's.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 09/25/11 10:14 PM

From what my buddy was told, the 350 is the heads potential, not an out of the box number.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 09/25/11 10:22 PM

Quote:

If you could get 310-320 real CFM at say .600 lift with a 2.02 and bolt on an existing shortblock it would still sell much better (volume wise) than a 350cfm big valver. Edelbrock wants to sell in Volume to the street enthusiast first and foremost, the racer is still important but that wouldn't be their ultimate goal, not for a low volume head (compared to a SBC or SBF). And also I'll bet 85% of the blocks out there are 318's.

i completely disagree. i think everyone would be trading in there performer heads for them if they really hit those numbers. you can rent the tool to put bigger valve reliefs in a piston
Posted By: emarine01

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 09/25/11 10:26 PM

If the head went 275cfm otb with a 2.02 & had 350 potential with out reinventing the wheel it would be a real winner

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 09/25/11 10:30 PM

310 320 ootb is what I have now after porting, and I doubt there is much if any left so a potential of 350 is godsend to a lot of us small time smallblock racers if they put them in a affordable price range.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 09/26/11 01:40 AM

i was at LS fest 2 weekends ago, i was looking at a square port LS head from AFR(i think) and the CNC'ed head they claimed goes 450cfm. i said BS but then i saw other heads there that were cheap chinese heads with flow numbers claiming 415. i still say BS but i really dont know. but if that is true, i dont see why a new cylinder head for a mopar with raised ports cant come close.

all i know is i feel bad for how much money the small block guys spend
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 09/26/11 01:43 AM

im glad to see those guys making an effort to help sb mopars guys out up for doing so.
Posted By: DakFink

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 09/26/11 05:53 AM

Using a well known Race Engine builder's basic formula.

a 4.040 bore needs a 2.100 Int. valve.

A 4.00 bore needs a 2.08 Int valve.

a 4.220 bore needs a 2.194 int Valve.

That being said I stand beside my thought that this would be a very welcomed head to the Mopar SB crowd. Especially if the cost is at or Below a set of Indy 360-1.

As for the 450cfm LS heads. They have been around for a bit.

http://www.mastmotorsports.com/2010/product-view.php?cat=Cylinder%20Heads%20-%20Bare&id=353

I know my W9-RPs aren't far behind those and there is also a few P7s out there that should be able to exceed that in the right hands.
Posted By: Pat7272

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 09/26/11 05:53 PM

A 320-350 cfm head is going to push the power potential of stock SBM blocks with any kind of cam and compression in the build.

I think this new head sounds like a GREAT product! I just think a new block may be in order for a lot of people to really get the most out of the heads.
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 09/26/11 10:10 PM

I wish they would have been available when I got my Indybrocks would have been another choice.Although I have no complaints out of them.
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 09/27/11 12:39 AM

Quote:

A 320-350 cfm head is going to push the power potential of stock SBM blocks with any kind of cam and compression in the build.

I think this new head sounds like a GREAT product! I just think a new block may be in order for a lot of people to really get the most out of the heads.

I saw the model Dave had at INDY. It had 18-bolt provisions.

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 09/27/11 12:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Sounds like a good w5 replacement without all the leaks and oddball headers. Hopefully the intake rocker will be offset, Ill bet it is.
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 09/27/11 01:00 AM

I'm pretty sure it will use the W-5 header.
Posted By: Pat7272

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 09/27/11 03:00 AM

Quote:

That is definitely for the best!

If this is a 700hp pump gas set of heads they're going to fit a really nice spot between the current Eddy's and more trick W stuff.

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 09/27/11 07:32 PM

geeez, you guys are starting to make me and giddy with anticipation
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 09/27/11 09:33 PM

Quote:

A more affordable block would be nice, real nice. It's hard for me to justify $2300 plus the machine work for an R3 although I've had 2 of them but needed to sell them before I got around to using them. Since I got them for nothing I don't see that happening again anytime soon the way the economy is.
Posted By: LXguy

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 09/27/11 09:39 PM

I was at Hughes' booth and talking about cylinder heads. Would have been nice if someone had pointed it out to me!
Posted By: StrokerAspen

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 09/27/11 10:30 PM

I might just have to come down for PRI just to see this thing first hand!

-Kenny
Posted By: 11secaarcuda

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 09/28/11 05:29 PM

Will it take a stock pattern intake manifold?

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 09/28/11 05:51 PM

Quote:

Will it take a stock pattern intake manifold?

Good Question. If I had to take a guess, I would guess the Super Victor that was released a few years back, is going to be the manifold for these heads. The angle of the Super Victor manifold runners look like they would work better with a raised port.
Posted By: lucky13

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 09/30/11 05:51 AM

Anyone know if they may be on display at the SEMA show? Or just at the PRI show?
Posted By: darndart

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 11/13/11 06:05 AM

Here's a litte info about them straight from the 2012 Edelbrock catalog.
http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/ddacbf6e#/ddacbf6e/16
Posted By: ademon

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 11/13/11 07:50 AM

some very good news!!
Posted By: lucky13

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 11/13/11 09:57 PM

I talked to the edelbrock guys at SEMA, and the first 2 didn't have a clue. They brought me to talk to a third guy and he gave me the "New for 2012" handout. He said that they are hoping to have a pair cast for the PRI show. He didn't know anything more than what they have in the handout. He was thinking that they would be using the Super Victor Intake.
Posted By: moparacer

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 11/14/11 05:53 AM

Quote:

The Hughes guys said the head should be capable of flowing 350 cfm. Also said they will take a big block style shaft mount rocker system, and that the cost of these heads shouldnt be much higher than a standard small block Eddie head

Oh my......

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 11/14/11 05:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The Hughes guys said the head should be capable of flowing 350 cfm. Also said they will take a big block style shaft mount rocker system, and that the cost of these heads shouldnt be much higher than a standard small block Eddie head

Oh my......

now that sounds interesting.
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 11/15/11 02:09 AM

we should send Vic Edelbrock a thankyou cake.

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 11/15/11 02:21 AM

Quote:

we should send Vic Edelbrock a thankyou cake.

I will second that motion!

Might have a customer interested in getting an engine done next year with these bad boys!

-Kenny
Posted By: Irun5snd8th

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 11/15/11 04:22 AM

I am a customer ready to do a set NOW!

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 12/05/11 08:11 PM

So? Anyone see these at the PRI show? Were they there? Any pictures??

-Kenny
Posted By: LSP

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 12/06/11 01:54 AM

Quote:

So? Anyone see these at the PRI show? Were they there? Any pictures??

-Kenny

They were there, sorry no pics. I talked to Rick Roberts at the AETC Conference for a little while about them. He did say that they will take the W5 headers, the valve locations were shifted, and that they will compete with the Indy stuff.
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 12/09/11 03:49 AM

I saw the Edelbrock display at IMIS today. They had a "Proport Raw" Victor casting on display. When I asked about a finished head or a head with valves like a big block Victor,the rep said it won't be done.
His reasoning is that they make known good quality castings,and would rather a good head porter come up with a port design that works. He also said they did not want to make comprimises that won't work for everybody.
The good news is they were 18 bolt heads and appeared to be cast with a near factory port size,with no pushrod restriction anywhere near the ports. They were not allowing photographs to be taken at the show per IMIS staff's request.
Keith
Posted By: ademon

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 12/09/11 04:04 AM

So what are they charging for this hunk of aluminum? i would think a finished head would sell great with all the strokers

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 12/09/11 04:15 AM

That w5 flange behooves me. I like the idea of a raw casting though. Just wont sell well Im afraid with mopar guys.
Posted By: Abodyjohn88

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 12/09/11 07:12 AM

Quote:

. Just wont sell well Im afraid with mopar guys.

why not? even if you buy a set of rpms ootb they have to go to the machine shop anyway. and if the victors are only alittle bit more cash idk see why the wouldnt sell better.just my 2
Posted By: Burnincircles

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 12/12/11 04:30 AM

The Edelbrock Rep that I talked to at IMIS told me there would be a finished head available. He said that the head on display was rushed out for the shows, and is the only one in existance at this time. They want to get the heads to some of the builders for feedback before they put out a finished product. I was under the impression it would eventually be available either way. This guy might have been blowing smoke, but that is what he told me.... Bob P.
Posted By: Darryls-Demon

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 04/23/12 09:59 PM

This may be old news but here goes, I talked to an edelbrock Rep last weekend at the SpringFling car show in California and was told that the SB victor heads will be on sale by mid summer.
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 04/24/12 09:58 PM

Quote:

This may be old news but here goes, I talked to an edelbrock Rep last weekend at the SpringFling car show in California and was told that the SB victor heads will be on sale by mid summer.

great!
Posted By: ddart81

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 07/11/12 03:48 AM

Any news?
Posted By: mshred

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 07/11/12 05:09 AM

Quote:

Any news?

Well there are part numbers for them now, but I checked on a few major sites like Summit and Jegs as well as some big mopar shop websites and couldn't find anything. I wonder who is carrying them and what prices are like or if they are still not released yet
Posted By: rck850

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 07/11/12 05:11 AM

After I heard a part number was out a few days ago I actually called Edelbrock. Lady the answered said they are still in the development stage with no ETA set yet.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 07/11/12 05:14 AM

Called them last week....of course couldn't get past the phone jockey to someone who may actually know something. Hoping they have the capability to be modded to a 48 degree block. No additional info was offered other than the obvious....w5 flange, super victor already available will fit.
Posted By: Brian Hafliger

Re: Some more small block victor head info - 07/11/12 07:03 AM

Things at Edelbrock are very slow...the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

They will most likely not be available for any kind of purchase until the end of the year.
© 2024 Moparts Forums