Moparts

Engine Run In Stand Design- Who's is best and Why?

Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Engine Run In Stand Design- Who's is best and Why? - 09/14/11 04:46 AM

I posted over in general but figured the racer crowd might be more in touch with the subject.............

I was checking out the features of the "Easy-Run" design and like it, the placement of the controls, battery, radiator, etc. is very nicely laid out. However there's no way I'm dishing out over 2K to buy one when I can build my own with some simple box tubing and a few ready made store bought componants so I'm going to build my own.

I can tough it out and start from scratch but if anyone has design plans/dimensions, etc. for a similar design as the Easy-Run I'd love to have a head start!

Attached picture 6825597-EasyRun.jpg
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Engine Run In Stand Design- Who's is best and Why? - 09/14/11 05:00 AM

You can only break in the cam and check for leaks.
The rings need cylinder pressure to seat - and that means a load.
If you blip the gas, it's upside down instantly.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Engine Run In Stand Design- Who's is best and Why? - 09/14/11 05:15 AM

I won't be using it to actually break in an engine, I need a new one for running my mule engine on that I test run restored carburetors with. My current one is an old cobbled together rig that I'm not happy with.
Posted By: DakFink

Re: Engine Run In Stand Design- Who's is best and Why? - 09/14/11 07:20 AM

Is there any device or way to add a Load on a test stand like this?

I know Dyno's use Water Brakes and Eddie Current brakes. I believe that is also a BIG part of their expense as well. Next to the Software.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Engine Run In Stand Design- Who's is best and Why? - 09/14/11 07:25 AM

Not the best option but I have a core 727 that I plan to use & I'll lock it up like a transbrake so I can load the engine against the torque convertor to help seat the rings.... I'll probably smoke the trans by the time I'm done but it's just a spare core anyway....
Posted By: topbrent

Re: Engine Run In Stand Design- Who's is best and Why? - 09/14/11 08:21 AM

That Easy-Run is very thoughtfully designed piece. The creator of that stand was at MATS a few years back. In person, it was easy to see why he designed and built that stand the way he did.
Posted By: quick77rt

Re: Engine Run In Stand Design- Who's is best and Why? - 09/14/11 11:36 AM

Thats what I did and Scott other then time you can build one pretty cheap and not alot of time in it, I also have a semi junk trans to put a load on things.

Quote:

Not the best option but I have a core 727 that I plan to use & I'll lock it up like a transbrake so I can load the engine against the torque convertor to help seat the rings.... I'll probably smoke the trans by the time I'm done but it's just a spare core anyway....

Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Engine Run In Stand Design- Who's is best and Why? - 09/14/11 12:37 PM

My home built. Started with an overseas shipping rack for coiled aluminum foil stock.

Attached picture 6825841-IMG_0006.jpg

Re: Engine Run In Stand Design- Who's is best and Why? - 09/14/11 12:38 PM

Attached picture 6825842-IMG_0005.jpg

Re: Engine Run In Stand Design- Who's is best and Why? - 09/14/11 12:39 PM

Attached picture 6825844-IMG.jpg

Re: Engine Run In Stand Design- Who's is best and Why? - 09/14/11 12:40 PM

Attached picture 6825846-IMG_0004.jpg

Re: Engine Run In Stand Design- Who's is best and Why? - 09/14/11 12:42 PM

..I have had NO problem with it wanting to move around or upset when throttle is wacked..

Attached picture 6825849-IMG_0002.jpg
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Engine Run In Stand Design- Who's is best and Why? - 09/14/11 01:05 PM

Quote:

I won't be using it to actually break in an engine, I need a new one for running my mule engine on that I test run restored carburetors with. My current one is an old cobbled together rig that I'm not happy with.

Scott I built the one in this video for under $100 in steel, casters and half a day on a Saturday cutting and welding it up.....it's very stable and doesn't walk around at all.....plus it's very easy to roll with the casters.....something like this should get you where you want to be cheap....no reason to spend big bucks on a commercially made unit IMO

Rickster
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: Engine Run In Stand Design- Who's is best and Why? - 09/14/11 01:50 PM

Around here there are tractor dynoes, and they are a water type load device that hooks to the pto. It could be easy enough to adapt the PTO to a flange or a yoke to hook to the tranny, wouldnt think it would take much at all. Im sure if your around an implament shop they would let you use the dyno. We were able to use the one from a local shop, and tried this on an irrigation engine I rebuilt.

Kasey
Posted By: Scotts71chall

Re: Engine Run In Stand Design- Who's is best and Why? - 09/14/11 02:50 PM

My good friend built this.
It does not flip over when ya hit the gas!

Attached picture 6825994-440onstand,smallpic.jpg
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Engine Run In Stand Design- Who's is best and Why? - 09/14/11 03:45 PM

Quote:

My good friend built this.
It does not flip over when ya hit the gas!

My dad and I built one very similar to Scotts71chall, only it doesn't look nearly as nice, lol. It works great though and doesn't even come close to flipping over when you romp on the throttle. Last motor I had on it was my Indy headed 440 that makes close to 700 hp.
I just use an old cast iron 4 speed bellhousing and flywheel.
It was worth every bit of time and effort we put into it. Built w/ scrap we had laying around. Retorquing heads, swapping valvesprings after cam break-in, fixing leaks, and any other problems that come up...much easier to fix on the stand rather than in the car.
Posted By: BANDIT

Re: Engine Run In Stand Design- Who's is best and Why? - 09/15/11 02:39 AM

Heres the one I built last winter when I needed to run a couple of motors. Bought only $25.00 worth of iron to go with what I had laying around. Ignition, fuel, and rad were left overs. Have more in gauges and switches, but hey, it had to look nice. Casters are off of the toolbox in my trailer. It does not scitter around floor, gauges dont vibrate, and it DEFINATLEY doesnt flip over when you blip the throttle. Had a stout blown SBC on it and it didnt flip it. PM me if you want some dimensions or tips. Depending on what you have laying around and going a little less expensive route on gauges and switches, a person should be able to build a nice one for way under $500. Jim

Attached picture 6826863-DSCN0566.JPG
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Engine Run In Stand Design- Who's is best and Why? - 09/15/11 03:57 AM

Quote:

Heres the one I built last winter when I needed to run a couple of motors. Bought only $25.00 worth of iron to go with what I had laying around. Ignition, fuel, and rad were left overs. Have more in gauges and switches, but hey, it had to look nice. Casters are off of the toolbox in my trailer. It does not scitter around floor, gauges dont vibrate, and it DEFINATLEY doesnt flip over when you blip the throttle. Had a stout blown SBC on it and it didnt flip it. PM me if you want some dimensions or tips. Depending on what you have laying around and going a little less expensive route on gauges and switches, a person should be able to build a nice one for way under $500. Jim [/quote

That looks great! Next time you take a picture though be sure to tuck the rest of the dog back up into the control panel .
Posted By: BANDIT

Re: Engine Run In Stand Design- Who's is best and Why? - 09/15/11 06:20 AM

Here he is shooting out of one of the headers, he came out in really good shape.

Attached picture 6827246-DSCN0567.JPG
Posted By: DakFink

Re: Engine Run In Stand Design- Who's is best and Why? - 09/15/11 11:54 AM

Quote:

Around here there are tractor dynoes, and they are a water type load device that hooks to the pto. It could be easy enough to adapt the PTO to a flange or a yoke to hook to the tranny, wouldnt think it would take much at all. Im sure if your around an implament shop they would let you use the dyno. We were able to use the one from a local shop, and tried this on an irrigation engine I rebuilt.

Kasey

Hmmm? Maybe a Boat Prop in a barrel of water connected to a shaft that bolts to the fly wheel or some kind of U-joint??? Just some ideas.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Engine Run In Stand Design- Who's is best and Why? - 09/15/11 12:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Kasey

Hmmm? Maybe a Boat Prop in a barrel of water connected to a shaft that bolts to the fly wheel or some kind of U-joint??? Just some ideas.

I think that would lead to a nice wet shop
Posted By: DonnieLawson

Re: Engine Run In Stand Design- Who's is best and Why? - 09/28/11 01:37 AM

Quote:

Heres the one I built last winter when I needed to run a couple of motors. Bought only $25.00 worth of iron to go with what I had laying around. Ignition, fuel, and rad were left overs. Have more in gauges and switches, but hey, it had to look nice. Casters are off of the toolbox in my trailer. It does not scitter around floor, gauges dont vibrate, and it DEFINATLEY doesnt flip over when you blip the throttle. Had a stout blown SBC on it and it didnt flip it. PM me if you want some dimensions or tips. Depending on what you have laying around and going a little less expensive route on gauges and switches, a person should be able to build a nice one for way under $500. Jim

Bandit

I need to build one , I really like yours. PM sent for build info

Thanks
Donnie
Posted By: Blown61

Re: Engine Run In Stand Design- Who's is best and Why? - 09/28/11 01:50 AM

Quote:

You using a scatter shield and flywheel? or a convertor some how??
Posted By: DonnieLawson

Re: Engine Run In Stand Design- Who's is best and Why? - 09/28/11 01:54 AM

Currently have a couple 727's I could use , I'm also open to getting a flywheel and bellhousing...

Oh sorry...... Thought you was asking me ,
© 2024 Moparts Forums