Moparts

Help with camshaft

Posted By: ddart81

Help with camshaft - 09/06/11 07:54 PM

Hi, I have a Dodge Dart with 360 LA engine, but with magnum heads.
The intake is mopar M1 magnum, and the rocker arms in the magnum heads are roller, with 1.7 rocker ratio.
The camshaft is a sollid flat tapped Mopar 296/296 (557 lift). The problem is that the car is very heavy (3550 lbs), and I think that the camshaft isn't good for this combo, because the 1.7 rocker arms, and the engine now is very radical...The engine goes to 7000 rpm quickly (4 speed manual gears), but is very difficult drive the car in the city. I have a fried that has the same camshaft, but with 1.5 roller rockers, and his car is more civilized, more enjoyable, and runs as fast as my.
What do you suggest, please, change the camshaft? Change the rocker arms? I was thinking about the 282 XS comp cams (282/290, lift 520/540). Thank you.
Posted By: Lew

Re: Help with camshaft - 09/06/11 09:45 PM

Call Hughes engines (309 745 9558) talk to Kevin or Tim, Dave if he's having a good day! tell them what they need to know about your car and what you want it to do, they will put you spot on and they sell good parts!
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Help with camshaft - 09/06/11 10:05 PM

Rocker arms has little effect on the cam's street manners. Yes the hair more in rocker ratio, will make the valve action a little faster.
That car isnt that heavy either. I really like the MP 557 cam. But the end user needs to be happy. But remember a fast reving engine is a sign of a good running combo.
I dont know what to tell ya, other than switching rocker arms will NOT change much.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Help with camshaft - 09/07/11 12:13 AM

There is certainly a lot variables that affect the driveability of a combo, not the least of which is the carb or injection tune. Your description is too vague to make any assumptions about so I think a test drive is in order. Send me a round trip ticket and I'll come down there and help you straighten it out.

Oh and please make it around Carnivale time.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Help with camshaft - 09/07/11 08:10 PM

Huh, can't understand why he hasn't taken me up on my offer yet...
© 2024 Moparts Forums