Moparts

ultra mini ?

Posted By: a493demon

ultra mini ? - 08/27/11 12:49 AM

just got a ulta mini alt. about 5 weeks ago put on all good . when i put it on and reved it up i could hear the fuel pump speed up well have not been hearing it speed up so i brought my volt meter home not charging.what could have happend just a junk alt.or just my luck? it's got 12.5 volts to it but no charging.it is a one wire 70amp.thanks brad
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: ultra mini ? - 08/27/11 01:07 AM

I have a 50 amp, one wire mini-alternator. Mine has a "kick-in" rpm where it starts charging after it's reved up to a certain point. A smaller crank or larger alternator pulley will raise that rpm kick-in point.

I've also noticed that if the battery is discharged quite a bit, it will look like it's not charging. Make sure the battery is fully charged and check the voltage with the engine off, then with it reved up.

I have an Autometer volt meter in my car and watch it regularly. But at 50 amps, I don't rely on the alternator to keep the battery fully charged, especially when I run the water pump and fan between rounds to cool it. So I always charge between rounds to keep the battery charge as high and consistent as possible.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: ultra mini ? - 08/27/11 01:29 AM

My powermaster will not charge unless I have a ground strap to the case of the alt.
Posted By: a493demon

Re: ultra mini ? - 08/27/11 01:45 AM

mine would kick in around 1500 .i do put a charger on when i get to the pits.tried putting a ground wire on tonight but nota.i did charge the batt. tonight and will recheck in the morn.thanks brad
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: ultra mini ? - 08/27/11 01:52 AM

This is the reason I dont like the 1 wire alt...
your going to buy a whole alt even if its a regulator
problem... plus(this I'm not positive about) the external
regulator kicks in at a much lower rpm
© 2024 Moparts Forums