exhaust quiet - 08/24/11 12:06 AM

do these things work? my cuda is stupid loud

Attached picture 6791840-1763DI25R.jpg
Posted By: emarine01

Re: exhaust quiet - 08/24/11 12:25 AM

No... Get better neighbours
Posted By: Performance Only

Re: exhaust quiet - 08/24/11 12:46 AM

don't do it. it's a race motor, it's supposed to be loud.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: exhaust quiet - 08/24/11 12:56 AM

No they dont work.... you need area/volume to control
the noise... if its a street type car, get the muffs
as far back(to the rear of the car) so the exhaust is
cooler... cooler exhaust has less voume/area and is
easier to control
Posted By: moparniac

Re: exhaust quiet - 08/24/11 01:00 AM

Quit being a sissy ray!
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: exhaust quiet - 08/24/11 01:21 AM

the car will blow out windows!

i swear to god
Posted By: Performance Only

Re: exhaust quiet - 08/24/11 01:38 AM

Quote:

i swear to god

big deal, it'll blow out windows, but will it blow the doors off the competition, that's the real question.

do we need to donate some money so you can get some big boy pants to put on.

Re: exhaust quiet - 08/24/11 01:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

i swear to god

big deal, it'll blow out windows, but will it blow the doors off the competition, that's the real question.

do we need to donate some money so you can get some big boy pants to put on.

think i'm going to need money to pay for windows
Posted By: fig426

Re: exhaust quiet - 08/24/11 02:18 AM

Hooker Aero chambers on mine. Now my car is stupid quiet.
Posted By: emarine01

Re: exhaust quiet - 08/24/11 02:36 AM

Ear plugs work
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: exhaust quiet - 08/24/11 05:40 AM

As Mike has already said, mount the muffs as far back as you can, preferrably behind the rear end housing forget the Flow Masters, look at a Magnaflow or other straight through design, I have a set of 3.0x14 oval magnaflows on my Duster mounted between the rear sub frames and the outer 1/4 panels at the rear bumper, it is quiet at part throttle and non restrictive at WOT, not very quiet at WOT but it is not shattering windows I had a set of 3.5 Bullets on my 440 1969 Dart that dumped under the car straight out of the hooker fenderwells, I wanted to quiet it down so I added about 3 ft of 3.5 inch exhaust pipes in the shape of a V so it dumped in front of the rerar tires.That added pipe made a resonant(SP?) frequency that I was sure would break windows at part throttle bewteen 2700 and 3200 RPM Never again will I add pipes onto the muffs, mount the muffs way back as far as posiible
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: exhaust quiet - 08/24/11 05:48 AM

I have a pair of LARGE turbo mufflers on my Jensen, then another pair of Dynomax bullets out back. It's not quiet but it sure sounds decent.

My motorhome has two 3" Flowmaster 50 series. In TANDEM. It's quiet at idle, sounds like a musclecar when pounded. Not loud at all.

I think mufflers in TANDEM is the way to quiet down an obnoxiously loud car....
Posted By: 383man

Re: exhaust quiet - 08/24/11 06:11 AM

What size pipes are you using and do you run the pipes out the back of the car ? Ron
Posted By: ProSport

Re: exhaust quiet - 08/24/11 11:58 AM

I have a pair of one chamber Flowmasters in the race parts section that may give you the happy medium you are looking for. But I do prefer Magnaflows or Pypes race mufflers.
Posted By: moparacer

Re: exhaust quiet - 08/24/11 01:05 PM

Quote:

do these things work? my cuda is stupid loud

I bet it would be stupid slow after you put them on...

Mayes well ball up a bunch of tin a cram it up the pipe LOL.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: exhaust quiet - 08/24/11 01:25 PM

Use a pair of Dynomax bullets as resonators...it will not change the tone at all but it will reduce the volume at idle several decibels...and at WOT they will have nearly zero effect on performance. They are like turning the amp volume on a Marshall stack from '11' down to about 7 1/2

I think If you live in a residential neighborhood you need to show some respect for your neighbors....I can't stand incessant Dog barking and kids blasting Rap at all hours, so at least to some degree I can respect someone not appreciating our 'Mechanical Music' as much as we do.

Re: exhaust quiet - 08/24/11 01:42 PM

Quote:

What size pipes are you using and do you run the pipes out the back of the car ? Ron

3.5 with bullets, exit in front of rear tires.

my friend told me his dad uses a cone type thing and puts them in his exhaust and said they work. but the are really pricey. i have to look and see if i can find them.

like Streetwise said, it not about me, its about the people that live around me. I try to keep the area outside my shop clean and keep the noise to a minimum if possible. its already bad enough my pitbull roams all over the place without them complaining any more
Posted By: bonefish

Re: exhaust quiet - 08/24/11 05:13 PM

just walk up to your neighbors one by one,look them in the eye,and with a stearn tone say"I KNOW" then just walk away.99% of them will leave you alone.
Posted By: topbrent

Re: exhaust quiet - 08/24/11 08:47 PM

Ron Silva uses 3.5" pipe from the collector to the muffler and 3" DynoMax Super Turbo mufflers on his Valiant, mounted back by the rear bumper.

Surprisingly quiet in person.

Attached picture 6793220-RonSilva1967plymouthvaliantdynomaxmufflers.jpg
Posted By: topbrent

Re: exhaust quiet - 08/24/11 08:51 PM

The mufflers don't seem to hinder Ron's performance that much.

Attached picture 6793224-Ron2.jpg

Re: exhaust quiet - 08/24/11 09:14 PM

Quote:

just walk up to your neighbors one by one,look them in the eye,and with a stearn tone say"I KNOW" then just walk away.99% of them will leave you alone.

exhaust outside the framerails
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: exhaust quiet - 08/24/11 09:30 PM

I have 4 cars, one with 700, one with 550, one with 500 and sidepipes and my daily driver has over 400. My neighbors (I live near a couple golf courses) are for the most part pretty cool and they know when I'm coming in and out of the neighborhood I pretty much just Idle around, keeping the db's to a minimum.

If it's a track only car and you got to do some adjustments, I used to flange my muffs and throw a pair of sears muzzlers on the car, as quiet as a milk truck and nobody bothered me the whole time. sometimes I just shove some wadded up steel wool in the tailpipes, you'd be amazed how many DB's it cuts things down, even at 11+:1 cr's and big overlap cams. don't shove it in too far and you fish it out with a coat hanger or a piece of rod with a bent hook on the end.

Nothing says "hey I'm a Douc%bag" like revving your (you know it's loud) motor for no apparent reason while driving around, like a very bad (and often undeserved) harley or ricer stereotype. I like good tone but not necessarily volume, and to me the most impressive street cars are the ones that are Quicker than they sound. They admire the sound for the right reasons and not the wrong ones. The worst is for a car or Bike to be both Loud AND Slow...and there's wayyyy too many of those out there. If you're loud and fast at least you're not around long enough to bother anybody, loud and slow and your annoyance just lingers on and on....like a lawn mower which most of those guys should just as well be riding

Would my cars be a tenth or 2 quicker running ultraflows instead of Hemi turbos'...probably, but not enough that I miss it. So my street cars are just loud enough, but just not loud enough to be annoying.

Re: exhaust quiet - 08/26/11 01:25 AM

Streetwize, took your idea and ran with it.

it took the sound from top fuel down to pro stock and sounds much deeper also

made these removable and adjustable steel wool baskets tonight

Posted By: Crizila

Re: exhaust quiet - 08/26/11 01:43 AM

Quote:

No... Get better neighbours

Waste of $ and time - and please don't ask me how I know .
Posted By: 68cuda2003

Re: exhaust quiet - 08/27/11 03:02 AM

Try Spintech. Check out their website. Several videos and muffler options. I love mine. Quiet at idle and sounds great. Good luck. Ken
Posted By: ProSport

Re: exhaust quiet - 08/27/11 09:26 AM

I removed my one chamber Flowmasters and installed Summit turbo mufflers yesterday. It sounds like my Durango, way too quiet. Back to the drawing board.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: exhaust quiet - 08/27/11 01:14 PM

Quote:

I removed my one chamber Flowmasters and installed Summit turbo mufflers yesterday. It sounds like my Durango, way too quiet. Back to the drawing board.

Bob, how large are those Summit turbo's you put on...
body size and inlet/outlet
© 2024 Moparts Forums