Moparts

Launch picture question...

Posted By: Jeepmon

Launch picture question... - 08/16/11 02:52 AM

I know what causes the left front to lift more than the right, but what is the fix to get both tires to lift equal ??

Its a ladder bar car, leaving at 4500 rpm, 3100 lbs and this pic was taken on a 9 second pass..

Attached picture 6780188-infineon8-11.jpg
Posted By: bumps440

Re: Launch picture question... - 08/16/11 02:56 AM

you need just a little more preload on the right rear ladder bar. What kind of bars do you have? are they easily adjustable ? One more flat or 2 on the adjuster will fix that right up.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Launch picture question... - 08/16/11 02:59 AM

Quote:

I know what causes the left front to lift more than the right, but what is the fix to get both tires to lift equal ??

Its a ladder bar car, leaving at 4500 rpm, 3100 lbs and this pic was taken on a 9 second pass..

Does the car go straight on the launch
Posted By: topfueldart

Re: Launch picture question... - 08/16/11 04:20 AM

Anti Roll Bar in the rear.

Re: Launch picture question... - 08/16/11 04:30 AM

Quote:

That will take care of it if its going straight now
Posted By: Brian Hafliger

Re: Launch picture question... - 08/16/11 04:37 AM

Have you scaled it? When I scaled mine I was surprised that it was actually pretty good but I had one large battery on each side of the fuel cell in the trunk.
After moving the left side battery over to the right, my car leaves level and high! What a difference it made for such a small change. It was a 108lb. swing moving it from the left to the right. So it makes sense to me that it worked so well.
Also tire pressure in the rear slicks, ladder bar adjustment, shock adjustment, tire circumference from left to right, etc....can all play a part in a crooked launch.
I would scale it first, and make it right then go from there.
Nice Duster!!
Brian
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Launch picture question... - 08/16/11 05:24 AM

SHOW OFF

Well the picture is kinda crooked so how can we tell. I know it could use some shocks, both front and rear It looks pretty good to me. Glad to hear you got the 9's out of the way now time to build a motor for it.

Re: Launch picture question... - 08/16/11 06:34 AM

Quote:

you need just a little more preload on the right rear ladder bar. What kind of bars do you have? are they easily adjustable ? One more flat or 2 on the adjuster will fix that right up.

The car was originally built in the 80's, so I'm not sure what brand bars they are.. but yes, its easy enough to add a flat or two..

Quote:

Thats a difficult question to answer.. most of the time it will go straight, but every once in awhile, it will want to veer off to the right..

Quote:

I was told that anti roll bars do not work on ladder bar set ups..

Quote:

Have you scaled it?

My scales moved to Las Vegas... and I do have two batteries in the trunk, one on each side of the fuel cell.. and I also have mounts for weights in the trunk.. I can easily remove the left battery and put 70 lbs of weight on the right rear..

Quote:

now time to build a motor for it.

Would you believe a trans.. and its coming out this weekend...

Re: Launch picture question... - 08/16/11 07:06 AM

Really...That bites. Gonna give Johnny a call?
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Launch picture question... - 08/16/11 07:22 AM

Try making it hit the right stop first..

Still looking for the Uni-Filter..

Chris..
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Launch picture question... - 08/16/11 12:49 PM

I would steer clear of who told you anti roll bars don't work on a ladder bar car. They work very well. Actually they need to be stronger in a ladder setup, because of the short instant center which makes for high leverage for the twisting force. Get a ladderbar car screwed up enough, you can leave with the car on one slick. I have accomplished that!
Here is a pic of my first anti roll, that bent on the first pass. It had a .125 x 1 1/4 tube.

Attached picture 6780613-Dartpics067-1.JPG

Re: Launch picture question... - 08/16/11 01:22 PM

Quote:

Thats a difficult question to answer.. most of the time it will go straight, but every once in awhile, it will want to veer off to the right..

Quote:

I was told that anti roll bars do not work on ladder bar set ups..

I would scale it first but if you think its goes
straight most of the time it should be close...if
the car flexes (which its doing), then yes a anti
roll will correct it but the anti roll is covering
up flex... if it wasnt flexing you wouldnt need a
anti roll(the ladder bars would hold it level)

Posted By: Keith Richards

Re: Launch picture question... - 08/16/11 02:19 PM

Don, How old are the tires? or how many runs on them? I don't see too much too worry about in the picture you posted. Old tires will and can throw you one way or the other pretty easy, my car does that as it always wears out the sidewalls usually before the tread at least with the last Hoosiers (especially when it was 60' ing 1.23 with the 4.56 gears). With fresh tires if it still goes slight right add preload to the passenger side. I am there to help you if needed. I also like to rotate the tires side to side about every 25 -30 passes to let the sidewalls live longer.
Posted By: Keith Richards

Re: Launch picture question... - 08/16/11 02:24 PM

One other thing, If you want to scale the car on a weekend I am sure I would be able to borrow my buddies scales, if not you would have to do it at his shop during the week. Let me know I am here to help.

Keith
Posted By: deaks

Re: Launch picture question... - 08/16/11 06:03 PM

Nice car jeepmom, the top colour looks like mine, is it prowler orange, also is there a reason you run without the hood and does it help at all.
Mick

Re: Launch picture question... - 08/17/11 02:42 AM

Quote:

Nice car jeepmom, the top colour looks like mine, is it prowler orange, also is there a reason you run without the hood and does it help at all.
Mick

Earlier this year the hood pulled right thru the dsuz's and went a good 30' into the air.. So running the car without a hood is not done on purpose...
Posted By: FY1TA

Re: Launch picture question... - 08/17/11 03:20 AM

Anti-roll bar fixed mine from flexing .
Posted By: TC67CUDA

Re: Launch picture question... - 08/18/11 03:26 AM

Hey Don my buddy had the same problem and ended up putting an anti roll bar and it straightened his launch right up.I probably should put one on too. BTW what were the rest of the numbers on your 9 sec run?

Re: Launch picture question... - 08/18/11 05:48 PM

Quote:

Hey Don my buddy had the same problem and ended up putting an anti roll bar and it straightened his launch right up.I probably should put one on too. BTW what were the rest of the numbers on your 9 sec run?

Right Lane
Don Riley
Car Number R705
Class PRO
Q/P 0
Dial In 0.00
R/T .006
60' 1.343
330' 3.985
1/8 6.221
MPH 109.600
1000' 8.162
1/4 9.819
MPH 135.62
Posted By: deaks

Re: Launch picture question... - 08/18/11 10:07 PM

What does it weigh?, is it a stroker?.
Mick

Re: Launch picture question... - 08/19/11 06:10 AM

It's just a baby motor

Re: Launch picture question... - 08/19/11 06:23 AM

WOW! What the heck did you do to run those numbers?

Re: Launch picture question... - 08/19/11 04:57 PM

Quote:

WOW! What the heck did you do to run those numbers?

Diet and Exercise

(I gave them both up)

Re: Launch picture question... - 08/20/11 01:32 AM

Now thee is a man after my own heart...Belive in the miracle of modern medicine I always say

Re: Launch picture question... - 08/20/11 03:49 AM

Diet and Exercise

(I gave them both up)

Hmmm Ok
© 2024 Moparts Forums