Moparts

WIRE MY SOLENOID...PLEASE

Posted By: Racebuddy

WIRE MY SOLENOID...PLEASE - 08/02/11 01:03 PM

Need help wiring this GM solenoid.

I'm sooo confused. Can someone show me what gets hooked to each of these terminals please??

The car is a GTX and is stripped of all factory wiring, its in pure drag mode with MSD digital 6.

Which terminal feeds my Moroso switch panel??

Thanx 4 the help!

Attached picture 6758934-solenoid.jpg
Posted By: 408strokerdart

Re: WIRE MY SOLENOID...PLEASE - 08/02/11 01:15 PM

Is that a plastic solenoid? Is is grounded? What are we looking at as far as wires coming in/out? Not sure you are providing enough info, but I will say this....the two large terminals should be the power in/out and the small terminals are the switching side of the relay. I have seen the switching side wired differently, but I think that has to do with grounded or non grounded.

Re: WIRE MY SOLENOID...PLEASE - 08/02/11 01:53 PM

Well...this is an Jegs purchased solenoid. instructuions were for a GM car. This is a ground up wiring job for this drag car.

I figure that the battery POS goes to one big post and the other gets the big starter wire. Is it particular which side gets the battery cable?

The 2 small terminals, one of them gets my starter wire from my neutral safety switch. what hooks to the other small terminal??

Which terminal do I run a hot juice wire to my switch panel to feed all my accessories?

Re: WIRE MY SOLENOID...PLEASE - 08/02/11 01:56 PM

Don't pay attention to anything in the pic thats wired to the solenoid. Let's start from the very beginning.

It is a plastic solenoid. Solenoid grounded?? Do u mean like the chrysler solenoids where we use one big post and one little post only?

No not hooking it up like that. Want to use all the posts on it.
Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: WIRE MY SOLENOID...PLEASE - 08/02/11 02:00 PM

That solenoid is for the starter only (by the way - that is a FORD starter Solenoid). If you want to use the battery side as a terminal to feed other items (like switch panel) you can. But only the starter should be connected to the other side of the solenoid. The two smaller terminals activate the solenoid. One should be connected to ground (through a neutral safety switch) and the other to the start button on the switch panel.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: WIRE MY SOLENOID...PLEASE - 08/02/11 02:26 PM

Quote:

Well...this is an Jegs purchased solenoid. instructuions were for a GM car. This is a ground up wiring job for this drag car.

I figure that the battery POS goes to one big post and the other gets the big starter wire. Is it particular which side gets the battery cable?

The 2 small terminals, one of them gets my starter wire from my neutral safety switch. what hooks to the other small terminal??

Which terminal do I run a hot juice wire to my switch panel to feed all my accessories?

There are 2 types of that style solenoid... a standard
that is intended for short periods of time... then
you have the continuous duty which is designed for
the coil engaged for long periods... if you are going
to run the accessories through the solenoid you better
make sure its a continuous duty... battery can go
on either large terminal, then as said 1 small terminal
is the ground (or neutral safety switch which then
goes to ground), then the other small terminal is
the power in to activate the coil to turn on the
solenoid, which can be a switch or the key
EDIT
If you want to hook it up so it turns on with the
master shut off... jump the small terminal that would
be switched to the battery input terminal of the solenoid
Posted By: Todd

Re: WIRE MY SOLENOID...PLEASE - 08/02/11 02:58 PM

If your gonna use it to power up other stuff need a constant duty solonoid. The Ford ones get hot and quit after about 30 seconds. I use one to switch off the alternator. If your using it for just the starter it will do just fine.

BTW got this one at NAPA.

Attached picture 6759108-DSC00787(Large).JPG

Re: WIRE MY SOLENOID...PLEASE - 08/02/11 03:10 PM

If it is a FORD solenoid then I'm confused why they offered 2 different ways to wire it up to a GM vehicle and didn't offer any other wiring for other cars.

anyway...still a little foggy on what i should do. Just use one side of the solenoid then??

Re: WIRE MY SOLENOID...PLEASE - 08/02/11 03:17 PM

Quote:

If it is a FORD solenoid then I'm confused why they offered 2 different ways to wire it up to a GM vehicle and didn't offer any other wiring for other cars.

anyway...still a little foggy on what i should do. Just use one side of the solenoid then??

Ford used that style soenoid for years as a starter
solenoid thats why everyone calls it a Ford solenoid...
I dont know what you mean by using 1 side... if you
dont use both sides (big terminals) then all it would
be is a junction point

Re: WIRE MY SOLENOID...PLEASE - 08/02/11 03:21 PM

So... Im gonna use only one side of the solenoid. battery cable to one side and ALSO feed my switch panel from that side.

on the 2 small terminals, the starter switch goes to one side and the other small terminal goes to neutral safety switch on the shifter?!

so i can use both small terminals on this solenoid even though i'm using only one of the big posts?

I can drive a racecar but get confused with this wiring stuff!!!

thanks for all input fellas
Thanx

Re: WIRE MY SOLENOID...PLEASE - 08/02/11 03:23 PM

ok thanks Mr P Body

To start over, i will use both big terminals.
I will ensure that it is a continuous duty switch and go from there.
this should b easy to hook up shouldn't it?
Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: WIRE MY SOLENOID...PLEASE - 08/02/11 07:54 PM

Quote:

To start over, i will use both big terminals.
I will ensure that it is a continuous duty switch and go from there.
this should b easy to hook up shouldn't it?

Well, easy till you find out the car doesn't shut off with the battery disconnect switch, which is a whole different problem! LOL

I have two big plastic tubs of wire, relays, switches, gizmo's and connectors I use for wiring race cars. Let me know if you want to meet up in Indy for a day and help get everything right.

Scott

Attached picture 6759508-P1010925a.JPG
Posted By: mopar400

Re: WIRE MY SOLENOID...PLEASE - 08/02/11 08:16 PM

I have mine wired like the diagram in this article. My understanding was the "I" terminal was used to jump straight 12 volts to coils running a resistance wire/ballast to the coil. When starting the voltage is boosted to the coil to aid in starting. I don't use the "I" terminal because the MSD controls the coil voltage. Also the starter button should run through the neutral switch and then to the "S" terminal. Kevin

Wiring Diagram
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: WIRE MY SOLENOID...PLEASE - 08/02/11 09:37 PM

The labeling (raised letters) on the small terminals determines how it's wired, if the terminals are labeled "S" and "I" wire it like above, if there are no labels near the terminals one is power and the other ground.

Re: WIRE MY SOLENOID...PLEASE - 08/03/11 03:19 PM

The 2 wires coming off of the momentary starter switch, thats my next question.

one of these is going to the small terminal on the solenoid.

The other gets routed to and thru my micro switch on the shifter for neutral safety. Where does this wire end up??
Does it go directly to the small post on the starter? does it go to a continuous hot source?

My solenoid is not marked "I" or "S"
As it is mounted on firewall, I have battery POS cable mounted to right side big terminal and starter cable running out the left side going to starter big post.

i have hooked up the starter switch 6 different ways and can't get the momentary switch to activate starter

Yes I know... I suck at wiring, but please help
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: WIRE MY SOLENOID...PLEASE - 08/03/11 03:35 PM

Quote:

That solenoid is for the starter only (by the way - that is a FORD starter Solenoid). If you want to use the battery side as a terminal to feed other items (like switch panel) you can. But only the starter should be connected to the other side of the solenoid. The two smaller terminals activate the solenoid. One should be connected to ground (through a neutral safety switch) and the other to the start button on the switch panel.

that was my 1st thought, it looks like a Ford starter solenoid.

Re: WIRE MY SOLENOID...PLEASE - 08/03/11 03:42 PM

Quote:

The 2 wires coming off of the momentary starter switch, thats my next question.

one of these is going to the small terminal on the solenoid.

The other gets routed to and thru my micro switch on the shifter for neutral safety. Where does this wire end up??
Does it go directly to the small post on the starter? does it go to a continuous hot source?

My solenoid is not marked "I" or "S"
As it is mounted on firewall, I have battery POS cable mounted to right side big terminal and starter cable running out the left side going to starter big post.

i have hooked up the starter switch 6 different ways and can't get the momentary switch to activate starter

Yes I know... I suck at wiring, but please help

When you say the "momentary starter switch" are you
refering to your push button inside the car...if so
one side gets 12v into it... out the other side to
the starter solenoid terminal with the "I"... the
"S" will go to your neutral safety switch on one side
the other side of that switch goes to ground to complete
the ground circuit for the starter solenoid

Re: WIRE MY SOLENOID...PLEASE - 08/03/11 03:43 PM

One side of your starter switch should have a fused constant battery power. The other side should go to the Neutral switch, out the neutral switch and to the "s" on the starter relay. At the starter run a small jumper wire from the big post to the small post like in the picture.

Re: WIRE MY SOLENOID...PLEASE - 08/03/11 03:48 PM

Do you have a part number for the relay you bought from Summit? Are you using an after market shifter? Kevin

Re: WIRE MY SOLENOID...PLEASE - 08/03/11 05:02 PM

I assume you have the Summit SUM-G1750 Kit

That relay grounds through the mounting bracket (Ref. line 2 of above instuctions). Putting a ground to the I or S would cause no operation or a short. From Summits diagram the Stud on the left of your initial picture (yellow wire) would be the "S" terminal.

Re: WIRE MY SOLENOID...PLEASE - 08/04/11 01:49 AM

THANKS EVERYBODY FOR THE INPUT. i GOT IT DOWN NOW SO LOOK FOR ME TO BE GIVING WIRING ADVICE ON MOPARTS NOW. LOL

C ya at the track

Attached picture 6761811-lastcarpics008.jpg

Re: WIRE MY SOLENOID...PLEASE - 08/04/11 01:57 AM

Quote:

THANKS EVERYBODY FOR THE INPUT. i GOT IT DOWN NOW SO LOOK FOR ME TO BE GIVING WIRING ADVICE ON MOPARTS NOW. LOL

C ya at the track

So did you get it done and functioning
Posted By: Madness

Re: WIRE MY SOLENOID...PLEASE - 08/04/11 02:07 AM

I'd like to try to help. I've been doing this on race cars & Coca Cola vehicles since the early 70's. Remember when GM spent a fortune trying to get their starters to spin after 'hot soak'?
First- Run a battery cable from battery positive to one side of the solenoid. Also attach a #10 wire to that same terminal & run it into the cabin for all you power needs. (Add one or two more wires if necessary for power.) On a stock wiring harness, these wires were attached to the starter big post. Why, I never figured out.
Second- Run a battery cable down to your starter, the big post. Put a good bridge from the starter big post to the starter small post. No other wires should be hooked to the starter but the battery cable.
Third- Inside the cabin, run a small wire from a battery positive wire from a good source under your dash to your starter switch, hopefully a button. Run the same size wire thru your neutral safety switch & back out to your Ford solenoid, small post. You can easily tell which post by simply touching a wire from battery positive (the big post) to one of the small posts. If the solenoid 'makes' (a loud click), attach your small wire there. The other post is not used. It was for shooting a full 12 or 13 volts to the ignition coil on points type ignitions, bypassing the coil resistor, for a hotter spark while starting. Once running & the starter button switch released, the voltage went thru the resistor to the coil, preventing burning up the points.
Using the Ford solenoid gets all wiring out from under the motor where burnt wires & shorts can occur. Also, you now have a great place to connect your timing light & your remote starter button for bumping the motor a degree at a time.
Hope this helps. If you want more details, pm me.

Re: WIRE MY SOLENOID...PLEASE - 08/04/11 11:36 AM

Yep, got her spinning the starter and full power to the switch panel.
the jumper wire to the starter...i had never used that method B4.

It works and I am tickled
Thanx again MOPAR BROTHERS

Re: WIRE MY SOLENOID...PLEASE - 08/04/11 07:32 PM

Posted By: 383man

Re: WIRE MY SOLENOID...PLEASE - 08/04/11 08:39 PM

Glad to hear you got it right. Mr.P is dead right as Ford made two solenoids that looked like that. The one is for short time like Mr.P said as it will work the starter and it made to be on no more then 30 to 45 seconds at most. The small S terminal comes from the ign switch start terminal for power in the start position only. The small I terminal was for the ign resister bypass in the crank mode as the contact inside it sent 12 volts out to the coil in the crank position. The other solenoid that I remember only had one small terminal as it got power from where ever the operater wanted it to be on which most of the time was in the ign run position. It would stay on a long time as they were used on alot of tow trucks to power the yellow overhead rotating tow lights. Ron
© 2024 Moparts Forums