to say, I told you so when it breaks and takes out
a engine BUT I cant do that to anyone..... yet so
many want to continue to buy knock off parts....FLAME ON
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 03:22 AM

Agreeded, and don't know why.
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 03:24 AM

hey I hear ya I am trying to give away a 20k plus motor and cant get any bites on it and there are plenty of members here that have seen it run and know what it is.
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 03:26 AM

I hear you. I have had arguments with some buddies over cheap or wrong picked parts.
Even machine work and or assembly preferences has lead to words.

I go to the greats with great parts after doing research to the T.
I even traveled to your Michigan to get the right parts, advise and service.
Posted By: Crazy68Dart

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 03:30 AM

I think everyone is cheap... maybe you just see it more because you frequent this site more than others? I cannot imagine most Ford or Chevy guys have money to take a flame thrower to either. The majority of American's expect to have the best of everything for nothing. Generally, we get our way because of all the off-shoring. Don't want to get political, but it is the truth.

In general these cars are more expensive to build (engines, body parts, chassis, drivetrain, trim, etc.), so the money does not go as far as it would say for a Camaro or Mustang. Of course this is all relative to what a guy is doing with his car.

Not trying to get on your bad side... just saying...

Take care.
Posted By: Labratt

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 03:34 AM

Mike..could a "slightly-used" set of SS springs be any cheaper than a case of Keystone Lights? I actually talked Ronnie down to a 6-pack! ....does that make me CHEAP???
Posted By: Crizila

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 03:50 AM

Would it help if they were referred to as "less expensive". Less expensive (or cheap) doesn't automatically equate to poor quality. I think the linkage is between the cost of the parts you use and the HP you wanna make. Again, you should have a plan going in. I personally don't believe in the " build it now to handle the big HP that you might want to make at some point in the future" theory. Waste of $ IMO. Beside the initial poor utilization of parts ( you paid how much for those pistons to make 450 HP???), too much can happen between "now and then" - parts obsolescence being near the top of the list.
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 03:51 AM

mr p , i dont think everyone into 'cheap' , has to do with trying to get the most bang for you buck,,
i really dont know what cheap is,, in my case i don't make the money that most do, so i have to figure a way to get what i need , trade parts, work off labor for labor/parts, try to wait out buying parts until they are on sale or discounted!
i have been fortunate that the friends i had built me one heck of a car, and there is noway i could have built it without thier hard work
gary heilman out performed, outdid his work, i cannot thank him enough for his hours he put into my car!! yes there was others too,
i dont think i was cheap,
if it pertains to buying something other than usa made parts,
i know of several of the guys including gary who has source stuff and others who have rocker arms , that they dont have any issues, with anything,
i ve seen all kinds of issues with workman ship and issues of machine work , which will induce issues with any body parts,
then you had that unknow item of well did they really tell the truth about what they did or didnt do to help destroy that 'cheap' parts/parts??
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 04:04 AM

Hell some or most would call me the cheapest person here
because I do make alot/most things on my car BUT I
enjoy fabbing... I did build my car... but I dont look
for the cheapest off shore part or the cheapest thing
thats on e-bag ... and they expect it to fit and or
work... it does piss me off that people are loosing
their jobs and they continue to buy off shore... and
then they wonder why their own job is on the line

Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 04:16 AM

. it does piss me off that people are loosing

Every part in my motor is made in the USA except the rods and the timing set.
Posted By: quick77rt

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 04:21 AM

Im cheap, most my shirts are from parts houses, I wear cloths until they fall apart.

The one thing I am not cheap on is my steet racer. The reasons are simple, seen so many over built cars crashed on the street because the car didnt match the motor, 100k mile axles snap, front end parts break.

Yes most dont approve of street action, but I like it and have tried to take out as much risk to others and myself, so for that reason, neither to complain or brag my parts list alone is over 40k, alot for a street car toy, well at least for me. But in the past 3 years ive only done a freshenup after my nitrous fire and have not broke one part and I hammer it very hard, very often.
Posted By: Dabee

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 04:22 AM

Quote:

hey I hear ya I am trying to give away a 20k plus motor and cant get any bites on it and there are plenty of members here that have seen it run and know what it is.

I have the same problem. I have dyno sheets time slips. build data, complete cost sheet listing every part, the engine has a total of 80 documented passes on it and no bites.
Posted By: abodiesonly1

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 05:07 AM

Its a sad state of affairs, but its the way this country is going and will continue to go.

That being said the quality of some "USA" parts leave alot to be desired anymore.
Posted By: earthmover

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 05:15 AM

i dont think its cheap just useing your funds...i have got a used top end that was fast and trying to go fast and was buying parts... then i said to myself to be fast you need a chassis.. so now i have stopped buying parts and looking to buy a chassis ..(cause if you cant hook it you cant do nothing) so im not cheap im just trying to make the best of what i got....now i did have a small block i spent alot (oh my god) of money in and did nothing. then i took it apart and redid it with my son and was 3ths faster.. i paid about 5000.00 to have it done in a shop and no go... so i look at every dollar now .. im not cheap just looking out for me and what i want to do.. i know the machine shop has to pay fro rent,tools,and misc, but not on my dime...lol not cheap just carefully is what you can call me mike

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 05:26 AM

Quote:

i dont think its cheap just useing your funds...i have got a used top end that was fast and trying to go fast and was buying parts... then i said to myself to be fast you need a chassis.. so now i have stopped buying parts and looking to buy a chassis ..(cause if you cant hook it you cant do nothing) so im not cheap im just trying to make the best of what i got....now i did have a small block i spent alot (oh my god) of money in and did nothing. then i took it apart and redid it with my son and was 3ths faster.. i paid about 5000.00 to have it done in a shop and no go... so i look at every dollar now .. im not cheap just looking out for me and what i want to do.. i know the machine shop has to pay fro rent,tools,and misc, but not on my dime...lol not cheap just carefully is what you can call me mike

I dont think its cheap buying some GOOD used parts
to save a buck... its just cheap parts... or should
I say JUNK parts that some insist on buying and then
they cry the blues... hell I put the same parts back
in my engine on the freshen up's (lacking the bearings
and such) unless they dont check out
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 05:30 AM

no flame from me. worse yet is when someone will spend major coin on "the good stuff", only to finish it off with some cheap junk that compromises the whole thing.

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 05:36 AM

i agree i use to be that guy lol... but i work to hard to be cheap now and would like to see my money go fast....i was a small block guy still have alot of parts,but got tired of trying stuff that didnt work.. now i plan to build a big inch motor and all my small block buddies hate me..... i gain cubes but lost friends lol.....i think you just need to plan before you do ,have a ## in mind and build to be there....and go from where you are to where you would like to be on your budget.....i'm not rich but i love to race ,and will set aside a few $$$$$$$ here and there to do what i want now ....i use to just spent and try( could have been a test dummy lol ) but now i try and ask before hand.........there is alot of great info on here and just the web it self...also you can go fast on a budget just gotta look and ask the right ????? when doing.....
Posted By: Stroker Scamp

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 06:10 AM

personally i think they are cheap and dont want to think outside the box, how many procharged, turbo'd or nitrous mopar do you see out there compared to brand X models, i realize that mopar parts cost more, im willing to pony up, heck at the mopar race last weekend out of all the cars there mine was in the top 20 as far as being quick and i only run a 10.10 street legal car, just wait till you see whats coming on the next build

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 06:23 AM

personally i think they are cheap and dont want to think outside the box, how many procharged, turbo'd or nitrous mopar do you see out there compared to brand X models, i realize that mopar parts cost more, im willing to pony up,

well i dont really agree with this thinking.... thats kinda why mopar parts are high....if (we) would be like the chevy/ford boys and have parts thats cheap and there for the racer we would be ahead of the game....but ma mopar wants it all in racing and cars we drive everyday....i drive mopar and nothing else( even the old dump is mopar) but with that said ma have stuck it to use many times over with bull$it parts.....if not we would buy mopar instead of indy,and all the other,driver i have a 02 ram 1500 the dash is junk they will pay some but not all, they didnt put the uv stuff in...my fault i think not....so its not all the people being cheap,its ma mopar aswell......ford and chevy have many heads for small. and big block,how many do mopar have that is inline with brandxxxxxx?????none.....you can get a frontend for a ford about 500.00 but mopar 1200.00 not cheap just not in some budget...jmho mike
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 06:39 AM

the chevy and ford guys have the same "cheap" parts available . Procomp , chinese parts , etc..

my 440 Source bottom end is still honkin after 4 years of abuse by the way .

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 06:54 AM

yea thats right but any time you say 440source,or any other part it starts a war... buy this not that ..the job you save will be yours...lol... and we all know its alot of poeple not on this board and on this board that run this stuff but say stuff to be in the cool crewed..lol if thats what you want and fit the bill do it.. its not being cheap its using what you have ..and there is nothing wrong with that... i have a buddy that works everyday that building a (or shooting for)1000hp in a chassis car and he has it almost going...i have did the same kinda work he do but he makes the best and he is in a better place then i was back then...am i cheap hell no i used what i had to race.....some time you can use what you have and not be the best,and sometime you can have the best and not be able to use it.........if you hit the lotto for 1 mill. and spend 5k on a motor do you think that makes you better then the guy that spent 10k????? i think not cause at the end of the year i wonder whos car is still going with min. or no problem.....think of it this way you can have a movie star if you have movie star money ,but you want be happy long and you can have the wife you got now with what you got now are you happy (just saying are you cheap?????) its more to racing/life then racing money...ims mike
Posted By: RickRoss

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 11:45 AM

O.K. Mike lets get the blood pressure down a little
Posted By: Crazy68Dart

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 11:45 AM

Anymore it is tough (for me anyway) to determine what is USA made and what is not. This could be rectified by calling the company and asking I suppose. It is everywhere. You cannot by reman/replacement parts for your daily driver's without getting into something that was made in mexico, etc.

Bottom line is, people want to be in the hobby, but not all can afford top of the line stuff or have the skills or facilities to make their own parts.

It comes down to, would it be better for the hobby/industry if they lost numbers due to people not being able to afford parts, or is it better that people stay in the hobby buying some "cheap" parts now and then? Dunno.

I know a lot of guys that have given up the hobby due to the cost of even the "cheap" parts. And these are not Mopar guys.
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 12:03 PM

I know what you are saying, but buying cheap or used would have helped me a ton. I have put the best new stuff I could buy in my car, and 8 years later I am still 'almost there'.
Some day...
Posted By: JAKE68

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 01:01 PM

WHY????? Heres my take. Someone sees how fast or impresive someone elses car or program is and that is what they want to. Only thing is they don't have the budget for it so... Theres your market for the knockoff stuff that is afordable for them. The only thing they do not take in consideration is the chance they take when they don't hold up. Which then cost more in they end. When it comes down to it it seems like we look for the instant gratification because we want so bad that if we just layed back and saved our money and bought the good stuff later on we would spend less in the long run. Oh the need for speed. It is like a drug!!!!!!!!!!!!!Jake
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 01:35 PM

because we have to pay so much for the body???
really isn't it human nature to look for the best deal?
A few things I always look for used are, headers, intakes, carbs
Can't really screw those things up.
Posted By: fishy340

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 02:01 PM

amen MR P i can almost sense ur frustration..easy big fella PS u r 100% correct w your statement
Posted By: Labratt

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 02:24 PM

Mr. Yuck...I totally disagree with you on the notion that a carb can't be bought used, "screwed-up"!!! I've seen more than a few that were SCREWED-UP BIG TIME!
Posted By: theclutcher

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 02:40 PM

It has gotten to the point I laugh to myself at the cheapskates.

What really irritates me is when they want to cheap on me at my expense without shame.

If one offers something at a decent price and you need it, counter offer fairly.

An insult get you nada.

DIE FLIPPER DIE.

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 02:45 PM

Quote:

I enjoy fabing my own stuff too when I can - part of the "You built it" thing verses "you bought it". Agree on the buying off shore thing also ( My licenes plate frame reads " FOREIGN CAR CRUSHER" ), But that has been going on for years - in every facet of our lives. Also agree on the quality issue re: usually not as good as US made ( but not always ). A sight like this can help you sort through the junk stuff a bit, but it really is ( and always has been ) about the $$. The "pay for what you get" is a slippery slope. Not always a true statement. One of the things I enjoy about this sport / hobby is the $$ spent verses the ET. Always a challange for me.

Attached picture 6749039-DSC00729.JPG
Posted By: Jacob Pitt

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 03:27 PM

I am on a budget only being in my late 20's but I count on my car to not let me down at the track, so I put the best parts I can get in them. No I can't afford billet made cranks, but for the power I make I don't need them. I do buy quality whenever possible and it pays off by not breaking in the money rounds.
Posted By: shoebox

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 03:41 PM

My car is a super budget car. One income household, new baby, I need
To save wherever I can. 1k dollar stealth heads saved me 600-700
Over eddys. In the end it's the same performance. These heads
Are proven. My parts choices are appropriate for my goals. If I were to
Have a Chinese part take me down I'm not going to tell you! Sorry
I don't make as much money as you... Forgive me for wanting to get
My car running in this lifetime.... I'm not going to wait 8 yrs to drive
My dart
Posted By: 383man

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 03:54 PM

Quote:

Mr. Yuck...I totally disagree with you on the notion that a carb can't be bought used, "screwed-up"!!! I've seen more than a few that were SCREWED-UP BIG TIME!

Yes I have to agree with Randy on that. I have seen many people buy used carbs and get someone else's headache. And most of the time that person knows nothing about carbs and cant fix it themself's. I only pick up used carbs from someone I know and trust and if it is a small problem I can fix it myself. But for the money most will be better off spending the money and getting a new carb thats what they really need.

I myself think alot of people go with cheaper parts as they feel they will never get their car done buying the best parts. Alot of us car nut gearheads know enough that when we buy cheaper parts we can decide if we think it will work ok. I know when it came to rockers for my new 493 I wanted very good rockers but I wanted a roller rocker and not the iron ductile Isky or Crane I have used most of my life. I looked into it and was ready to buy HS rockers but I came across a great deal on the Hughes roller rockers and I like what I saw in them. And my brother has ran a set of them for 2 years with zero trouble so I went with them which were a bit cheaper then the HS but they still cost a good bit. It is tuff for many people who really cant afford the best parts all the time and dont know which are really good budget priced parts. I see alot of my friends ask me many times about parts they really dont know about and I hate to steer them wrong but they cant always afford what I tell them they should use.
I guess thats one of the great things about our great Moparts ! You have tons of good techs and racers to ask on here. Ron
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 03:55 PM

my Cuda is filled with the cheapest junk parts i could possibly buy

$100 paint job
my rad cost $170 for a dual pass off ebay
2 new mr gasket fuel pumps were $55 a piece
had my alt built from a ebay member for a 3rd the cost of a powermaster
my fans were $13 a piece
aluminum fuel line insted of braided hose
cheap rack and pinion off ebay
relays and other wiring stuff either used or cheap ebay stuff
rear susp free
dana rear out of a van free
motor plate, carpet, seats, belts free or used cheap

here is a pic of me splurging

Attached picture 6749119-051101_1729[00].jpg
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 04:00 PM

Quote:

I must have good luck. I've bought at least 3 old 750DP's tore them down, rebuilt them and they all worked very well. You can't expect to buy a used carb and not have to mess w/ it.
Posted By: StrkrDart69

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 04:50 PM

Quote:

My dart

How come if your car has $50k in it, those peolpe look down on the guy that can only spend $20k on their car. And the $20k guy laughs at the guy that can only spend $10k. You build what you can afford. Hopefully you run the car at the level it was built for. You should never worry about what somebody else buys or does to his car. Just be happy with what you can do to yours. If I, or anybody else wants to buy a cheap or lessor part than one your deep pockets can afford, its none of your dam buisness.

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 05:23 PM

Amen
Posted By: d-150

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 05:30 PM

build to your budget mopar fans i too get used heads, used intakes,carbs, but i would not by used rods, pistons,crankshaft,unless first checked out.heck stock steel crank 340 or 440 stock rods stock heads open up valves do the port work yourself slap a good aluminum intake a good camshaft and your ready to go. fast class cars get low 11' high 10 and there is alot of limitations

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 05:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

My dart

How come if your car has $50k in it, those peolpe look down on the guy that can only spend $20k on their car. And the $20k guy laughs at the guy that can only spend $10k. You build what you can afford. Hopefully you run the car at the level it was built for. You should never worry about what somebody else buys or does to his car. Just be happy with what you can do to yours. If I, or anybody else wants to buy a cheap or lessor part than one your deep pockets can afford, its none of your dam buisness.

Part of the problem is, if that cheapo part did cause
a failure the guy/guys are to embarrassed to man up
and say it broke... it would maybe help another person
if they knew

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 05:39 PM

yes not everyone can afford the big high end stuff all the time,
but i have sen good ol american stuff blow up as much as anything, so i go back to my statement,, " youre motor is only as good as the builder who built it,, and the machinest who did the machine work"
these are performance engines, noone can tell if or when the break, blow up, or run as requested, words are ,, ,," it should,, it could or it might" if it does have a great time,
Posted By: mloboda

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 05:42 PM

I run a stick car. The car won't tolerate me buying any cheap stuff.
I also bend over backwards to buy USA made (I include Canada as well).
"Globilization" of corporations has muddied the waters, but a phone call to the company will most often get you the truth.
Posted By: dragram440

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 05:43 PM

It seems people ask if anyone has any real world experience with the cheap stuff and if so what was it? I built my car mostly out of used cheap junk. It was the only way possible for me. Lots of used parts including a nice 1050 domi for 400 bucks, The complete top end came off e-bag. I guess if people let other people know if the cheap stuff worked for them or not and if people have had problems to let others no that is great. Thats what this site is for! You only have to read the posts you want. I like to hear about that cheap stuff so keep it coming.

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 06:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My dart

Part of the problem is, if that cheapo part did cause
a failure the guy/guys are to embarrassed to man up
and say it broke... it would maybe help another person
if they knew

I would not be embarrassed to "man up". But who the he77 are you for me to "man up to" I could care less what you think of me, my car or my parts. I would never man up to someone about a part that broke. If a part broke and someone asked me a question about it I would answer. I am not afraid to answer no matter what it is. It sounds like you know a lot about cheap parts and not manning up.
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 06:40 PM

NOT ME!!!

thats why it took me SOOOOOO long to build my heap.

The way I look at it is, Yes its an expensive hobby, Yes the parts, machining, and know how are expensive, but if you really only have to do it once, in my case, its better in the long run. I bought K1 crank, Child track master rods, Diamond pistons, Solid roller cam, smith bro pushrods, Indybrock top end, and I dont drive the car very much at all, but when I do I HAMMER on it, and smile everytime I do it. I know how my right foot reacts to my emotions, and its never easy on parts.

I totally agree with ya Mike, and have the very same theory.

The theory came from Dad, RIP, If your going to build something, build it strong, correct, and make it pirty. Dont slobber it together, dont have brake lines bent way out of the way just so you dont have to cut, and re flare it. Dont have 10 mile long plug wires coiled up and tied to the shock stud, Dont have the thing look like a half thought out rat trap, and have fuel lines rubbing, or close to heat.

Always have a plan even if it gonna cost ya a few hundred, grand or more than origionally thought.

Kasey

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 06:44 PM

Quote:

It seems people ask if anyone has any real world experience with the cheap stuff and if so what was it? I built my car mostly out of used cheap junk. It was the only way possible for me. Lots of used parts including a nice 1050 domi for 400 bucks, The complete top end came off e-bag. I guess if people let other people know if the cheap stuff worked for them or not and if people have had problems to let others no that is great. Thats what this site is for! You only have to read the posts you want. I like to hear about that cheap stuff so keep it coming.

I agree with you somewhat, but cheap in your case hasnt meant poor quality. Just cause you got it cheap dosnt mean those Jessel rockers you threw on that 588" B1 monster you have are Junk, they might have 4 passes on them, and they were hitting something in the top end. So poor quality may not be what your buying, but your getting the "used" parts at a great buy as I have done off here SOOO many times.

Kasey
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 06:45 PM

Quote:

Dont slobber it together, dont have brake lines bent way out of the way just so you dont have to cut, and re flare it. Dont have 10 mile long plug wires coiled up and tied to the shock stud, Dont have the thing look like a half thought out rat trap, and have fuel lines rubbing, or close to heat.

OK I'm never going to let anyone look at my
car again

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 06:50 PM

Hey Zippy,

No offence if you have stuff like that, I just was raised and tought no to, and I guess Im a little on the analretentive side when it comes to car work.

kasey

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 06:58 PM

I would not be embarrassed to "man up". But who the he77 are you for me to "man up to" I could care less what you think of me, my car or my parts. I would never man up to someone about a part that broke. If a part broke and someone asked me a question about it I would answer. I am not afraid to answer no matter what it is. It sounds like you know a lot about cheap parts and not manning up.

I really could care less about you or your CHEAP
parts... because I dont buy crap... I might have to
wait a month or so to get the better parts
Posted By: fishy340

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 06:58 PM

hey i buy 1 thing at a time..it took a while,but im on a budget..but the stuff i buy hopefully will last..also you get whatcha pay for
Posted By: tboomer

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 07:01 PM

Pretty good thread here...At the end of the season I am gonna dump my Stage VI heads for Indy...Looks like the best bang for the buck!!
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 07:08 PM

Cheap is a hard lesson to learn; once you've been burned by junk you either bail out or take your lumps and do it the right way the 2nd time.

Example - How many things did your parents try to teach you, but you didn't listen cause you thought you knew better, til you screwed up and found out they were right all along?

Some lessons you just have to learn for yourself.

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 07:25 PM

Quote:

Hey Zippy,

No offence if you have stuff like that, I just was raised and tought no to, and I guess Im a little on the analretentive side when it comes to car work.

kasey

Was only kidding Kasey

I've got a few loops in my brake lines in spots, for flexibility and to make it easier to work on, that I was never totally happy with the appearance of...other than that, am pretty much of the same mind.

Have become much less of a perfectionist (about appearance stuff) as I got older. When neatness really counts the most, is when it affects safety, maintenance and function too. But you'll never catch me polishing my transmission case, for instance

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 07:29 PM

polishing a tranny case, for instance

Ummmmm I can think of another pink A body lover LOL

Kasey

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 07:34 PM

Yeah your car made me think of our friend
from Louisiana
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 07:34 PM

when beeing poor you realy cant afford being cheap..

nope im not buying cheap whatsoever i know that most of the time i save in the long run by paying a bit more in the first place.

from time to time its frustrating reading on this forum about how some think that some parts are just to expensive,when im paying much more just to have the stuff shiped and then added taxes when its imported.

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 07:37 PM

I'm not embarrassed to say but why tell the OP and hear flak from
Some a###ole? Why would you even start this thread? Your tube chassis
Fast as #%^* RACE car is ugly anyway!

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 07:45 PM

Quote:

Do you have a problem with me... if so ... piss off
and dont read the post or put your useless 2 cents
in anyways

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 07:59 PM

I don't have a problem with you. I just don't understand WHY your being
Ugly. You go spend your megabucks on w this and 9 that and if a
Guy wants to run cat rockers who cares? Everyone knows that
Cheap parts can fail just your stuff can too! But don't knock what
I'm doing!
Posted By: blue_stocker

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 08:03 PM

Quote:

I run a stick car. The car won't tolerate me buying any cheap stuff.
I also bend over backwards to buy USA made (I include Canada as well).
"Globilization" of corporations has muddied the waters, but a phone call to the company will most often get you the truth.

Great way to explain Mike. Having been a stick racer myself, I know mediocre parts won't cut it and will ultimately break.

Quote:

Quote:

Do you have a problem with me... if so ... piss off
and dont read the post or put your useless 2 cents
in anyways

Come on children, haul your horns in this isn't a bashing session! Some of us can't afford hi-dollar and some of us do the best we can with what we have.
No sense in getting 'pissy' with one another, we're supposed to be enjoying this, so...CHILL OUT KIDDIES!!!

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 08:04 PM

Quote:

I don't have a problem with you. I just don't understand WHY your being
Ugly. You go spend your megabucks on w this and 9 that and if a
Guy wants to run cat rockers who cares? Everyone knows that
Cheap parts can fail just your stuff can too! But don't knock what
I'm doing!

Mike dosnt care that your cheap. What he and I both dont care for is people like you for instance who tend to complain, cry, or want sympathy when YOUR junk breaks. Mike is a stand up guy, he dosnt brag, or pop off, very often, on here, and I for one dont understand you getting soo offensive and crude over what I thought of as a good post.

Kasey
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 08:06 PM

Quote:

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 08:22 PM

I read the ORIGINAL post and was offended. I have cheap and used
Parts in my car and I work damn hard to have what I have! Don't
Chastise me for having Chinese heads. I know they can be
Problematic. I'm going to buy a offshore oil pan for the car... You know
Why? The damn milodon 400 dollar pan has to have holes
Enlarged and the windage tray modified which is rediculous might
As well save200+ dollars if I'm going to have to modify the thing!
( it would be ok with the OP if I had the milodon pan, modified it then
Got mad and blew up on the milodon tech guy on the phone)
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 08:24 PM

Agree with Shoebox 100 %

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 08:26 PM

Thank you my big block brother! Lol

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 08:35 PM

I understand the cheap, Ive been ther, But ive never complained, or raised hell with someone because my junk blew up. What Mike is making his main point of, I think, is the guy who cries his eyes out because his cut to fit pushrods bent, and he dropped a valve, which blew it up.

the thread wasnt meant as a snub for the guy who cant afford high dollar parts, it was more of "ive had enough with the phone calls, threads, crying to me about their junk breaking" whe he knows they are running very cheap junk.

Thanks all...

Kasey
Posted By: 2734bbl

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 08:49 PM

I think cheap means different things to diffrerent people. I cannot speak for high end race parts because some guys have more cash in their block and machine work than I have in my whole car but truthfully I cant justify paying the kind of money it takes for a sheetmetal manifold even if I needed one because they seem over priced to me.

If that makes me cheap, so be it...

It does seem as though the brand X guys do spend a lot of money to obtain their goals though but that maybe just because there is more of those guys with more money.

To me cheap means I'm not gonna buy anything I DON'T need. I dont need T&D rockers on my 12 sec car when stamped rockers will do just fine, or if a certian brand of adj rockers have proven themselves for my application then I would buy those instead. I can spend my money in other places for greater effect.

Now to me youre cheap if you use stock rods in a 7000 RPM bigblock on spray and complain when it breaks. I'm sure some will chime in and say it can/has been done but buying better rods instead of a bottle would serve you better in the long run.

With that said I think some folks lose perspective on their build and try to stretch a dollar too far understandably in the pursuit of going faster and get disappionted when it fails.I feel it's better to buy the "good" stuff to run 10's(my goal) safely than the "cheap" stuff and try to run and survive in the 8's.

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 09:03 PM

hope everyone has a great time at the track , go out have fun say hello to youre friends,
watch the heat,, check on the elderly, most of all have a great day,
remain friends, you can never have enough , cherish youre family

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 09:18 PM

Quote:

I think cheap means different things to diffrerent people. I cannot speak for high end race parts because some guys have more cash in their block and machine work than I have in my whole car but truthfully I cant justify paying the kind of money it takes for a sheetmetal manifold even if I needed one because they seem over priced to me.

If that makes me cheap, so be it...

It does seem as though the brand X guys do spend a lot of money to obtain their goals though but that maybe just because there is more of those guys with more money.

To me cheap means I'm not gonna buy anything I DON'T need. I dont need T&D rockers on my 12 sec car when stamped rockers will do just fine, or if a certian brand of adj rockers have proven themselves for my application then I would buy those instead. I can spend my money in other places for greater effect.

Now to me youre cheap if you use stock rods in a 7000 RPM bigblock on spray and complain when it breaks. I'm sure some will chime in and say it can/has been done but buying better rods instead of a bottle would serve you better in the long run.

With that said I think some folks lose perspective on their build and try to stretch a dollar too far understandably in the pursuit of going faster and get disappionted when it fails.I feel it's better to buy the "good" stuff to run 10's(my goal) safely than the "cheap" stuff and try to run and survive in the 8's.

I think the sheetmetal manifolds are way to pricey
also... thats why if I want one I make it... I cant
afford them either... I'm retired... but to the others
I have to save to buy parts or I work more in the
shop to pay for the better stuff... yes I run TD
rockers because I turn a fairly high RPM... but I
saved up for them instead of having something break
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 09:41 PM

aahhh for the good ole days when you could score a Duster for under $1000--grab a 440 out of an Imperial, fresh it up,509 cam, valve springs, intake, cheap 750, headers , pair of slicks, gear, SS springs, shifter, J converter --cheap trailer and a worn out 78 1/2 ton pick up and Bam! You had a Ton of fun ! Now...everyone wants a BS rack and pinion Subframe that cost $3k, a 500 inch dynoed monster, etc etc and you all find your funds to fun ratio is ASKEW!!! Fast means more than fun --it has turned into an arms race--NO open trailers anymore--gotta have a 28 footer hooked to a $50K truck a $10K 4 wheeler etc etc You have lost sight of what a hobby is. Just my opinion--my Grandpa took a $100 12 ga, two apples and two shells--said boy..you want to go deer hunting? Ask Cabellas and you will see that it takes about $50K to be a deer hunter these days---same tale. We all have gone too far. I have sold every Mopar nut and bolt I owned--started gold panning on wk ends ( total cost to start about $80) and have decided a hobby should be fun and cheap. I have started work on my old photo darkroom--items for that are so cheap on Ebay is is just downright funny--started bee keeping and have decided that hobby will eat too much $$ after spending $200 to get started so I will stay with the one hive --I do not need the entire catalog with honey extractor ( $600 ) etc going to do it like Grandpa with a knife and big bowl--etc etc I raced 18 years and do miss it some but I love that extra jingle in my bank account better than racing and besides I can still go see my pals and watch them. We all have to think and go back to the basics in this crazy new USA. so...That is why I think everyone is pinching pennys and looking at China junk--they are not willing to run 7.0 in the 1/8th on stock American parts--( ok some of you can run way better than that on stock stuff but you get the idea) Don't hate me
Posted By: Dean_Kuzluzski

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 10:13 PM

I'll "man-up"..........

I've spent low $$ with a cheap machine shop just to find out that they used soft valveguide inserts and only got maybe 5000 miles out of my cylinder heads when the valves wobbled and beat the seats out of shape.

Now, I found a quality shop with a guy that does good work for a fair price. Pay more, get a decent deal.

Been burned on too many overseas items to risk a totally fresh rebuild to bottom dollar chinese stuff that will most likely have inconsistencies in the castings.

I'd rather build less HP and run more consistantly for years than compromise a higher $ build.

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 10:32 PM

Quote:

Oh Shoebox... I'm sorry you dont like my car... I guess
I'm just not into your cookie cutter cheap mentality

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 10:35 PM

Mr P, i love your offshore wheels on your rampage. wish they had more backspacing options
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 10:38 PM

Quote:

aahhh for the good ole days when you could score a Duster for under $1000--grab a 440 out of an Imperial, fresh it up,509 cam, valve springs, intake, cheap 750, headers , pair of slicks, gear, SS springs, shifter, J converter --cheap trailer and a worn out 78 1/2 ton pick up and Bam! You had a Ton of fun ! Now...everyone wants a BS rack and pinion Subframe that cost $3k, a 500 inch dynoed monster, etc etc and you all find your funds to fun ratio is ASKEW!!! Fast means more than fun --it has turned into an arms race--NO open trailers anymore--gotta have a 28 footer hooked to a $50K truck a $10K 4 wheeler etc etc You have lost sight of what a hobby is. Just my opinion--my Grandpa took a $100 12 ga, two apples and two shells--said boy..you want to go deer hunting? Ask Cabellas and you will see that it takes about $50K to be a deer hunter these days---same tale. We all have gone too far. I have sold every Mopar nut and bolt I owned--started gold panning on wk ends ( total cost to start about $80) and have decided a hobby should be fun and cheap. I have started work on my old photo darkroom--items for that are so cheap on Ebay is is just downright funny--started bee keeping and have decided that hobby will eat too much $$ after spending $200 to get started so I will stay with the one hive --I do not need the entire catalog with honey extractor ( $600 ) etc going to do it like Grandpa with a knife and big bowl--etc etc I raced 18 years and do miss it some but I love that extra jingle in my bank account better than racing and besides I can still go see my pals and watch them. We all have to think and go back to the basics in this crazy new USA. so...That is why I think everyone is pinching pennys and looking at China junk--they are not willing to run 7.0 in the 1/8th on stock American parts--( ok some of you can run way better than that on stock stuff but you get the idea) Don't hate me

Great post! I think of selling it all too. I buy good parts. It limits me alot. Unlike the others posted above, I dont have people constantly PM ing me complaining about their cheap parts that broke tho. At least thats how they are making it sound. Give the "cheap" guys a chance to live and learn the same way you did. Some of us take ALOT, and I mean ALOT for granted (union job, good/reasonable health, ). I also know some racers who feed their kids pb&J sandwiches all week just so they can go indulge in racing. Its really hard to box people in like the OP is doing. No disrespect.

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 10:39 PM

Quote:

Mr P, i love your offshore wheels on your rampage. wish they had more backspacing options

So do I... sure hope they dont break
Posted By: quick77rt

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 10:46 PM

I think weather on the cheap or on the high end its cool we all have mopars.

Yea I look at the "others" in jegs and if I had a chebbie id have 3 times the car.....go figure we need approx $1500 in machine work to have a race block ready to assemble on top of the cost of the block...

A simple chebbie dart 4 bolt near ready is $1400
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DRT-31161111/

So I myself say props to every poster here and on the site as well for doing all they can do and flying the mopar flag

Opinions vary and so do budgets, ego`s, ect....but at leat its all mopar here.
Posted By: sshemi

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 10:50 PM

some of the "expensive" parts are not any better than the "cheap" ones.

I could name a few of them but i dont want to.

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 11:12 PM

Heck, Ill name some "cheap" spendy aftermarket parts, and really get the buzz going.

Eagle. Not a fan, SIR rods are a total joke.

Nat a huge fan of some of the Eagle cranks that still took hundreds of dollars to machine correctly, and balance.

Probe pistons, NOT a fan. Ive seen a LOT of them break at the skirt n small block fords.

Currently Eddy heads, Not a Fan. Dan over at performance only had to basically re machine everything about them. Guides too tight, valves didnt seal for crap, nasty burrs on the valve stems, etc, etc,

So I totally understand both sides to the story, but Ill still bank on the made in the USA parts that cost me more, even if it takes some machine work to make them correct. Besides NOTHING is out of the box good. I would never trust a label to tell me its 100% good to go.

I do agree with Quick77s mentality though, Were all MOPAR here and thats the point correct??

Kasey
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 11:43 PM

Mr. P Body,

There is a simple sticker some of us need-

Look at what I BUILT not what I BOUGHT!

The guys that run some of cheap stuff will come to there sinces as soon as they start going fast.

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 11:48 PM

Quote:

some of the "expensive" parts are not any better than the "cheap" ones.

I could name a few of them but i dont want to.

OH NO! I cant believe you just brought up MSD distributors. your in trouble now!!!
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: WHY - 07/27/11 11:59 PM

I have always had good luck with Mallory but I hear they are junk all the time.
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 12:04 AM

Really its the "quantity vs. quality" mentality. Look at the people you know that have a bunch of "off shore" anything, from clothes to Die-cast models,more is always better quality be damb'd.
I prefer quality rather than quantity I don't usualy buy platinum, but hardly ever buy plastic, with me its about cost vs. use and desired life expectancy. If I dont have the money to buy the thing I want, I'll wait 'till I do, some just gotta have it now...

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 12:15 AM

well the main thing is we are all mopar brothers here... when i see another mopar on the street or strip i smile ear to ear because i know we are in the same club! anyone with deep pockets can make anything fast. ive always rooted for the lil guy with the 12.20 street car that is going that fast with nothing fancy. less is more in his case. id could run 9.0s buckfifty NO PROBLEM if i had the funds and desire. id rather have a small block turbo street car that runs in the 8s and drives to the track! but the point is everyone is at whatever level they are and its cool. i love these cars and i dont want to be anywhere else. i think this site is the best. i pay all lot of attention to what yall say and soak up as much info as i can. thanks for that.

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 12:46 AM

Good children, now get along good and papa will buy you a Tiawan version of the Motown Missle...okay!?! If not, I'll take the sand out of the sandbox and you can play on the asphalt! Hahaha...thanks GUS, mopar/Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge...brothers and sisters...
Posted By: coronetville

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 12:56 AM

Maybe some people don't have your money or arrogance

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 01:25 AM

EDIT:

IF that was directed at me...No arrogance intended, just humor. Why not see things on the light side?! Besides I'm a poor guy! Poverty level seems to be my place after slick Willy! Do I complain? NO, just try to make the best of it...thanks!

BTW, Hi Mike, how's things doing with you these days?..wb

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 01:25 AM

Quote:

Maybe some people don't have your money or arrogance

Now who is this directed at
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 01:43 AM

" Lets Make A Deal"

Pic #1

This guy approached me Sunday at the track with a " problem" with his " new" engine. I know the builder, and I know HE didnt choose these parts. The customer did.He saved a ton.

Attached picture 6750014-PC440Srocker.JPG

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 01:45 AM

Lets Make A Deal 2

You'll notice a pattern here...

Attached picture 6750017-PC440srocker2(2).JPG

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 01:46 AM

ok...there are 4 levels of parts here....match the price to the parts.....

$1500

$625

$400

$299

Attached picture 6750021-Rockers1.JPG

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 01:49 AM

$1500 were in a B1 Top Sportsman car

$625 were in a 9.40 bracket car..never had to adjust the valves once in 270 runs

$400...well...they worked for a while in a 10 second bracket car

$299....worked a few WEEKS in a 10.00 451 bracket car at only 6500 RPM

Attached picture 6750023-Rockers2.JPG

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 01:56 AM

Quote:

ok...there are 4 levels of parts here....match the price to the parts.....

$1500

$625

$400

$299

thats funny
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 01:58 AM

Show off

I have the $625.00 ones
But my heads only cost me $200.00 bare

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 01:58 AM

I try...but I'm gonna keep my day job....

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 02:53 AM

i think if i was going to buy cheap rockers they would be the bushed stainless cats but that would be with just a mild cam

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 03:06 AM

I'll be at Thompson Saturday...you gonna be there???????
Posted By: TrWaters

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 03:08 AM

And the reason for this post is?? Oh yeah.....look at me.

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 03:11 AM

no its look at that broke junk rocker

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 03:14 AM

Quote:

$1500 were in a B1 Top Sportsman car

$625 were in a 9.40 bracket car..never had to adjust the valves once in 270 runs

$400...well...they worked for a while in a 10 second bracket car

$299....worked a few WEEKS in a 10.00 451 bracket car at only 6500 RPM

I think most on here understand the concept. If you look up the word "Cheap" in the dictionary, it has atleast 6 different meanings ( not including made outside the USA )- which makes this thread "of little value" - which is meaning #4 in my dictionary
Posted By: LA360

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 03:15 AM

Thanks Mike for having the guts to say what many others think, and I agree with the statement made, it's not just confined to Mopars, but I seem to come across more tight wads in the Mopar community.

Firstly, let me clarify a couple of things. Being on a "Budget" and being "Cheap" are two different things in my eyes.

Being on a budget to me means a limited budget, and spending it wisely. With my change in personal circumstances (A baby on the way, a partner and step daughter) I don't have the disposal income I used to have. So intern, I spend my $$$ more wisely. In saying that though, I try to avoid the Chinese crap as much as possible and tend to opt for good second hand parts or new second hand stuff. I also try to make or fab whatever I can, or do barter deals. For example I have made a bunch of torque plates etc for a friend, he in turn has machine up my 360 for me. If I buy new, I buy whatever works best for my application from people that look after me. When I say look after me, price is a small part, the advice and service I get is more important.

I have little time or really understand people that are "cheap". They buy on price alone, giving little thought to how long the item might last etc. When buying second hand they will offer well below the asking price (What annoys me even more, is when they then re-sell the item and ask top dollar!) The lengths some of these guys will go to to save a few dollars astounds me.

As example of a tight wad. I make a kit for small blocks so you can run a remote oil filter.
I had a gentleman contact me via a local based web forum asking for more details and a cost on the kit.
I let him know that the one he inquired about wouldn't fit his application but I was about to finish one that would and the price would be the same.
Then he asked if a can make a custom one off right angle outlet fitting and how much it would cost. I gave him a price, it was too expensive. I quoted it cheap considering I would have to design, program, machine and test fit it, and make any corrections that might be necessary.
About a week of 2-4 emails a day from this guy, he eventually asks if he can buy just the filter plate, he was going to "butcher up" (his words, not mine) fittings and lines to suit. I gave him a price, he counter offered $5 less, to which I politely declined.
About 3 months later he contacted me again, asked how much for the filter plate, to which I gave him the same price. He responded with saying I told him the price he offered, to which I reminded him that he offered me that price and I politely declined. Haven't heard from the guy since. The thing that surprises me most if this is all he needed to get the car going apparently.

The thing that gets me going is the "I can get that from ABC Speed Shop for half that." If they are talking about two identical products, they are being fair and reasonable. Most of the time they are comparing a crappy cast item out of china to a Billet aluminium component made locally. I don't bother explaining the obvious to them anymore, and just advise them they would be probably better going and buying the a fore mentioned product.

I don't know how guys working in Speed Shops and other forms of customer service deal with it from day to day!

Rant off!
Posted By: cudadon

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 03:16 AM

If I was going to buy something CHEAP to save $$, it wouldn't be a rack for MY car!!
Hope you don't hit the wall someday.
Don

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 03:37 AM

Quote:

If I was going to buy something CHEAP to save $$, it wouldn't be a rack for MY car!!
Hope you don't hit the wall someday.
Don

the cheap rack i bought was brand new made in Italy. the flamming river rack cost more than double and its made in china

and the Cuda is built to hit a wall, my challenger wasnt

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 03:44 AM

Some people build engines/harleys in their living room with All the right parts on cheap carpetting drinkimg cheap beer in a cheap house. What does that make them. A white trash hillbilly... IMO. Is it wrong, absolutely not. Do what you want. Me I build what I can afford. If it is a 12 or 11.5 car, than so be it. I cant afford a 10 or 9 sec. car or a faster one done right. So what does all this mean. My family is first, house, daily drivers, then somewhere down the list my mopar hobby cars. Where you put your priorities, and money, is your god given american right. Do what YOU want.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 04:17 AM

Quote:

no flame from me. worse yet is when someone will spend major coin on "the good stuff", only to finish it off with some cheap junk that compromises the whole thing.

THIS !

Completely and utterly astounding that someone will spend large coin till the top end..........then go with junk rockers , valve springs or name the component of your choosing.
I am also from the " over build " school.
The lessons of not going with the best were simply expensive.
Luckily , they weren't harmful to anyone's health , but that was a distinct possibility.
One example from our last car.......12.0 Mercury Cyclone with a 429 and an auto. Stock N case , 31 spline axles and innards.
Shelled the pinion yoke at 1/2 track , which twisted the driveshaft in half and the front half of the driveshaft tried to beat it's way into the passenger compartment.
It had a front loop but the damage was ugly still.
Of course , it took the transmission case with it.
That 100.00 part I didn't buy ( 1984 dollars ) cost me significantly more.
I was standing behind the starting line , my better half is my pilot , and all I saw was smoke when the tranny fluid hit the headers.
I didn't know if she was on the wheels or on the roof.
The next rear end was probably good for 1500 h.p.
And I never gave it another thought.
Peace of mind also has a price.
The deal I am into now has taken longer and cost a bunch more than I expected.
But it will be right and I will not worry about it once it is done.
That is worth the extra money to me.
My well documented bias against off shore parts aside , there is right and there is right.............the definition of which is different for each of us.
But I am building this for me and / or Judy to drive , and I will not gamble with that.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 06:52 AM

I guess I'm cheap. I just can't afford a $10,000+ engine for a car that is basically a toy.
I try to use affordable parts that get the job done.
When I built my 451 stroker with stock 440 crank and rods, everyone told me I would break the old stock rods. My reply was "when it breaks I'll build a bigger one." 15-years later the engine broke, but not a rod, it was the intake valve in the "new expensive" heads I used when I built the engine.
So now I have a 500" stroker with the "affordable" 440 source kit. With my budget, it was either the "cheap" kit or back to stock parts, and the parts in the "cheap" kit are way better quality than the stock stuff.
If/when this engine breaks, I may step up to incrementally bigger and better parts as the stock 400 block is nearing it's (safe) power limits.

Also, the money saved on the engine helped pay for the needed transmission and drivetrain upgrades.
If I just droped $20K on a 1,000 HP engine, and put it in a stock car with stock drivetrain I would be breaking a whole lot of parts.
Posted By: 69B3GT

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 10:37 AM

You guys would probally hang me if you knew how cheaply im putting together a big block A-body

If you dont like me doing things on the cheap, any of you are more then welcome to pay for the expensive parts.
Posted By: Moparmal

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 11:56 AM

Quote:

Why is it that so many Mopar guys are so cheap...

I see guys looking to buy the cheapest parts possible and alot of times they get burnt by doing so...cheapest
rockers, cheapest heads...... you name it.... I understand
that we're ALL on some budget of some nature but I
really get sick of all the cheap ... I almost want
to say, I told you so when it breaks and takes out
a engine BUT I cant do that to anyone..... yet so
many want to continue to buy knock off parts....FLAME ON

Not sure about the USA, but "down under" a lot of guys got into Mopar because they were better value, more reliable and generally cost less to buy than the = Generic and Fraud stuff...mainly because they were less popular,

These guys were on a budget from the start

- roll on 25 years and suddenly Mopar stuff is "rare" and sought after - parts prices go up, and these same guys can't afford to keep up with the price hikes.

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 03:11 PM

I want to apologize to mike for being ugly to him. I like your car
And your inputs here on moparts. I have mopars On the brain
Constantly and want to get mine going so I can input somthing
More substantial! Lol. Let's all get along and continue to help
Each other

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 03:19 PM

Quote:

Each other

No problem... apology accepted

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 03:24 PM

Quote:

Each other

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 03:35 PM

Cool
Posted By: dizuster

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 05:55 PM

Wow... I feel like I inspired Mr. P-body to start this post after we found my Chinese POS wastegate was machined wrong and you can see daylight between the seat and the valve!

I have one project that is a no expenses spared, R3 block, Callies Crank, Oliver Billet Rods, W9 heads, T&D, etc...

My other project is a bunch of stock/low buck/ chinese junk thrown together with a turbo to have some fun.

I'm pretty sure I know which one will last longer... I knew that going in... My expectations are right where they should be for the parts I've chosen to buy.

If it breaks... it breaks... I don't expect the stock mopar rods to be any better then the Chinese wastegate. I tried to spend money where I thought it was important, and I skimped where I thought I could get away with it.

Stock rods, stock crank, stock block, might sound like a VERY strange combination with a big turbo, Stainless rings, cometic gasket, and a $300 set of inconel exhaust valves. But the point was that I spent money on where it was needed, and tried to get away saving costs on the non-critical areas...

I think it's the best approach for a budget minded project, just because obviously we all have limits on what we can spend...

Just my

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 06:16 PM

Quote:

Wow... I feel like I inspired Mr. P-body to start this post after we found my Chinese POS wastegate was machined wrong and you can see daylight between the seat and the valve!

I have one project that is a no expenses spared, R3 block, Callies Crank, Oliver Billet Rods, W9 heads, T&D, etc...

My other project is a bunch of stock/low buck/ chinese junk thrown together with a turbo to have some fun.

I'm pretty sure I know which one will last longer... I knew that going in... My expectations are right where they should be for the parts I've chosen to buy.

If it breaks... it breaks... I don't expect the stock mopar rods to be any better then the Chinese wastegate. I tried to spend money where I thought it was important, and I skimped where I thought I could get away with it.

Stock rods, stock crank, stock block, might sound like a VERY strange combination with a big turbo, Stainless rings, cometic gasket, and a $300 set of inconel exhaust valves. But the point was that I spent money on where it was needed, and tried to get away saving costs on the non-critical areas...

I think it's the best approach for a budget minded project, just because obviously we all have limits on what we can spend...

Just my

No Scott it wasnt you so dont even think it
Posted By: dizuster

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 06:28 PM

Just seemed like too much of a coincidence... lol

The only difference was I wasn't whining about my chinese parts... I was just MF'ing their quality, but I knew I got what I paid for...
Posted By: Performance Only

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 07:08 PM

it's good to see everyone has made up and all is hunky dory in Mopar land again.

i think there's a huge difference between cheap, low budget, appropriate budget and just plain rediculous or dumb. we deal with it on a daily basis in my business.

in many cases the low budget guy isn't necessarily a cheap guy. quite often the cheap guy will call to look for a certain part because he knows the price is low. if we know that part has a history of failure (not all do) we'll let them know. often times there's a better part available that's within just a few dollars, so when there is we let them know about it.

in any case, i believe everyone that's posted in this thread knows where they fall catagorically and it is what it is. no point in being judgemental IMO. people are who they are, that's what makes the world go around.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 07:16 PM

When I first read the post the first thought that came to mind was a poster that day was looking for some cheap gages. My way of thinking, and I am CHEAP! is if you spend a lot of money on your engine why would you buy a piece of crap to monitor it? Another was looking for info on pro comp heads while a set of good built quality heads were on the for sale on the moparts board for about the same money. A person can buy what they want , no money out of my pocket but I look for deals, A racer that is up grading usually has some good parts at reasonable prices and I buy those before new. Haven't got burned yet.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 07:30 PM

There's more then one way to skin a cat.

I have a set of thousand buck rods between 440 source pistons and 4.5 crank in a stock block ha ha ha.

Just because it's not your way don't meen it's the wrong way.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: WHY - 07/28/11 07:53 PM

Quote:

I'll be at Thompson Saturday...you gonna be there???????

I will do my very best to be there!
Shure would be nice to meet you in person
Will you have an air conditioned hospitality tent set up

on the details
© 2024 Moparts Forums