Moparts

{{{{{{ IT'S FINALLY ALIVE }}}}}} VIDEO ADDED....!!!!!

Posted By: rickstershemi

{{{{{{ IT'S FINALLY ALIVE }}}}}} VIDEO ADDED....!!!!! - 07/26/11 03:02 AM

Yep....fired up the 408 today on the test stand I built and it runs great....no leaks, fairly aggressive idle and snappy as all get-out....oh yeah love the tunnel ram and 500 avs's

Now....after a good 20 minute run-in @ 2000 rpm and a few heat cycles....i ck'd cranking compression and all holes are between 205 - 210

Best guess on compression is somewhere around 10.5 - 11.1 flat top icons / 5cc reliefs @ zero deck.....J Heads 2.02/1.60 midly massaged that have been decked a few times throughout their life and uncertain on volume...????

Erson Cam: Intake 312/504 Exhaust 320/517 110+4 Gross Lift: Intake 335/248 @.050 Exhaust 345/256 @.050

Timing is locked out for now at 32* w/10* start retard, the MSD E-Curve works flawlessly and not a hint of detonation on 93 pump swill with zero load of course.....will it live on 93 on the street....?????

Keep in mind the 64 Valiant will probably end up weighing at close to 3000# 4-speed and 3,23's w/27" tires

Engine builder seems to feel it will be A/OK.....what are your thoughts ??????

Rickster
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: {{{{{{ IT'S FINALLY ALIVE }}}}}} - 07/26/11 03:08 AM

Cool... I think your going to be to high on compression
with over 200..... JMO.... assuming this is a street engine
Posted By: 68shifter

Re: {{{{{{ IT'S FINALLY ALIVE }}}}}} - 07/26/11 03:09 AM

Engine will be fine!
The rear tires and your left leg on the other hand

Great build. Keep the updates comin.
Posted By: POS Dakota

Re: {{{{{{ IT'S FINALLY ALIVE }}}}}} - 07/26/11 03:13 AM

I agree...although in the light car it may be ok who knows?
If not, you could always go with some more cam to tone it down.

If you get away with it, I really woudln't be surprised though.
I know someone with a 390 and just about the same cranking compression and he ran fine on the street in a heavy dakota 4x4...

Congrats Rick!

SO how about a vid??????
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: {{{{{{ IT'S FINALLY ALIVE }}}}}} - 07/26/11 03:18 AM

Congrats... post up some pics please

Re: {{{{{{ IT'S FINALLY ALIVE }}}}}} - 07/26/11 03:20 AM

Quote:

Congrats... post up some pics please

Took a video Bob but it was windy and sounded like crap so I dumped it....will try and get one posted up tomorrow

Rickster
Posted By: mshred

Re: {{{{{{ IT'S FINALLY ALIVE }}}}}} - 07/26/11 04:45 AM

congrats rick! I can't really offer any insight on whether it will run pump gas or not, but im sure it felt great to have it running with no problems, and your probably that much more hungry to get it in the car and beat on it!

and by the way...video please!
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: {{{{{{ IT'S FINALLY ALIVE }}}}}} - 07/26/11 05:13 AM

Don`t ya just love firing up a fresh mill providing nothing goes wrong? Enjoy.............
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: {{{{{{ IT'S FINALLY ALIVE }}}}}} - 07/26/11 01:01 PM

your gonna want to source a distributor that has mechanical/vacume advance...Especially with a stick..and the concern about detination..

the only way to tame it is going to be with timing that moves as your rpm/vacume changes...
especially lugging a stickshift on normal road driving/parkinglot/.. it will detinate if the timing and or dist. is fixed.. IMHO.

great to hear about the progress...
cheapst

Re: {{{{{{ IT'S FINALLY ALIVE }}}}}} - 07/26/11 01:09 PM

Quote:

your gonna want to source a distributor that has mechanical/vacume advance...Especially with a stick..and the concern about detination..

the only way to tame it is going to be with timing that moves as your rpm/vacume changes...
especially lugging a stickshift on normal road driving/parkinglot/.. it will detinate if the timing and or dist. is fixed.. IMHO.

cheapst

Jim maybe you missed that it has an MSD E-Curve with over 100 different mech/vac advance curves.....being a stick car I will most likely pick a slow curve that's all in by say 3000rpm.....one thing nice about a clutch it's like an adjustable converter...leave where you want....lol

Pics and vid to follow

Rickster
Posted By: tboomer

Re: {{{{{{ IT'S FINALLY ALIVE }}}}}} - 07/26/11 01:14 PM

Good luck,Rick!

Re: {{{{{{ IT'S FINALLY ALIVE }}}}}} - 07/26/11 04:41 PM

Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: {{{{{{ IT'S FINALLY ALIVE }}}}}} - 07/26/11 04:49 PM

The only thing I would look into is a set of 3.54 or 3.73 gears.......that's it!

Enjoy!

Posted By: justinp61

Re: {{{{{{ IT'S FINALLY ALIVE }}}}}} - 07/26/11 04:59 PM

Quote:

...will it live on 93 on the street....?????

I'll be surprised if it runs on 93 without detonating. It should be a fun car .

Re: {{{{{{ IT'S FINALLY ALIVE }}}}}} - 07/26/11 05:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

...will it live on 93 on the street....?????

I'll be surprised if it runs on 93 without detonating. It should be a fun car .

Like I said earlier...I have a friend with a 390 cid stroked iron headed magnum engine with 11:1 compression and a 236/242 @ .050 cam. He ran 93 in it, in a heavy azz dakota 4x4...I am thinking he might get away with it. Now the 390 was a closed chamber and rick's using j heads....how much difference that will make I dunno...but I guess there's only one way to find out!
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: {{{{{{ IT'S FINALLY ALIVE }}}}}} - 07/26/11 11:05 PM

Re: {{{{{{ GOT VIDEO }}}}}} - 07/27/11 01:56 AM

Ok.....here's a short video....don't expect much....lol It's running pig rich....need to install a regulator as the pressure is at 9lbs and the AVS's like 5.5 - 6lbs max.

Rickster
Posted By: DusterDave

Re: {{{{{{ GOT VIDEO }}}}}} - 07/27/11 03:22 AM

Rick, nice job! That car should be a hoot on the street! Start turning those wrenches, and you can be driving it this weekend!

Re: {{{{{{ GOT VIDEO }}}}}} - 07/27/11 01:09 PM

Thanks to all for your thoughts and comments.....I guess we will have to wait and see when she hits the streets....I'm on the fence but do have faith in Mike's judgement when it comes to engines

If it ends up requiring a blend it's not like it's going to be a daily driver....now just to hit the lotto and get the car finished

Can't wait to take her for a spin

Rickster
Posted By: quick77rt

Re: {{{{{{ GOT VIDEO }}}}}} - 07/27/11 03:08 PM

Very very nice, a smoke and a beer.....motors cool as well
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: {{{{{{ GOT VIDEO }}}}}} - 07/27/11 10:40 PM

Posted By: Chad Bittle

Re: {{{{{{ GOT VIDEO }}}}}} - 07/27/11 11:08 PM

Wanna sell that black D150 in the background for cheap?
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: {{{{{{ GOT VIDEO }}}}}} - 07/27/11 11:19 PM

Nice!!

I like that ya have grade 8 bolts holding the guage pannel on. Thats just incase the torque spins her around huh??

Sounded REAL good!!

Kasey

Re: {{{{{{ GOT VIDEO }}}}}} - 07/27/11 11:26 PM

Quote:

Wanna sell that black D150 in the background for cheap?

Nope

Rickster

Re: {{{{{{ GOT VIDEO }}}}}} - 07/27/11 11:29 PM

Quote:

Nice!!

I like that ya have grade 8 bolts holding the guage pannel on. Thats just incase the torque spins her around huh??

Sounded REAL good!!

Kasey

Thanks and that's funny...lol Whatever's lying around handy...that's how the stand got built also...pulled from inventory....yeah that sounds better

Rickster
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: {{{{{{ IT'S FINALLY ALIVE }}}}}} - 07/28/11 01:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

cheapst

Jim maybe you missed that it has an MSD E-Curve with over 100 different mech/vac advance curves.....being a stick car I will most likely pick a slow curve that's all in by say 3000rpm.....one thing nice about a clutch it's like an adjustable converter...leave where you want....lol

Pics and vid to follow

Rickster

Oh!! even better...that msd set up should help you find the right curve..

We did a rat rod (guy down the street) he had flat deck 360 with eddies.connected to a newprocess 5spd.
the car was light...(framerails and cab type deal)
it had a 3.23 gear..with a 31" rear tire.
I drove that car alot..and on pumpgas it would ping..quite a bit at low lugged rpm..like pulling in and or out of parking lots..or if you made a turn..in the wrong gear....it would ping..
Otherwise...It ran fine if you didnt lugg it..
Even at highway speed..when you tipped into it.
no pinging at all..and from a stop normal driving or leaving hard...no detination...

was alot of fun to drive on the street...that 3.23 gear was neat..sort of like a powerglide..
The torque multiplication ..felt like a fluid or hydraulic application of power in the low gears..
cheapst
© 2024 Moparts Forums