Moparts

Heads heads and more headaches......

Posted By: Mojoluv

Heads heads and more headaches...... - 07/13/11 03:32 AM

Building a 500 inch 440 for my 68 Charger. This will be an all steel, full interior car. I want the car to be able to run high 6's in the eighth mile on pump gas, mufflers, breather, etc. I have a 9 inch converter, low geared 727 with 3.54 Dana. The Charger has low hood clearance. What heads would you guys recommend? Anybody have any that they want to get rid of?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Heads heads and more headaches...... - 07/13/11 04:56 AM

1968 chargers are not lightweights so your going to need a really good set of heads to meet your goals I would probally choose a set of 440-1 heads CNC ported and a good, M.W. size intake port manifold like the 440-2 or the 440-3. Hood clearance is probally going to be a issue so maybe to go that fast you may need a fibreglas hood with a Hemi or six pak scoop Let us know what you decide, BTW my 3450 lb street car runs low tens on Oregon pump gas with the exhaust on and air cleaner in place, so it is doable Good luck

Attached picture 6727007-MVC-045S.JPG
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Heads heads and more headaches...... - 07/13/11 06:46 AM

I would use some sort of max wedge port head like an Indy or Victor MW. The hood clearance is the hard part. you may have to use a carb hat and relocate the air filter. If you can afford Fuel injection there are some low profile throttle bodies that would help with hood clearance while running a tall intake.
Posted By: RemCharger

Re: Heads heads and more headaches...... - 07/13/11 07:08 AM

I don't do 1/8 mile, but that gear seems steep for that program?
© 2024 Moparts Forums