Moparts

Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...??

Posted By: cudadoug

Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/12/11 04:03 AM

Nitro FC final at Route 66, a "premier" facility according to NHRA and there is PLENTY of seats available.

I know attendance is down in all sports forms, BUT is NHRA's problem the economy or is NHRA Pro Drag Racing as we know it losing some of it's sparkle?? What IS the economy in metro Chicago-land like these days??

On another note...Zippy is DA MAN! Tuning, driving...putting up with Force...LOL!!

Attached picture 6725192-Chicago_nfc_final.jpg
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/12/11 04:16 AM

Economy....Hands down.

They close off entire grand stands in NASCAR now, thousands of seats unsold.
Posted By: StrkrDart69

Re: Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/12/11 04:59 AM

Way to expensive. $51 a ticket for friday and $75 for sunday I have gone to every race since the inaugural and I used to pay $18 on fridays. This year I did buy a groupon coupon for $60 a ticket. It included a hospitality tent, food, drinks race tickets and a question and talk with John Force. Don Garlits and T J Zizzo. I hope they offer that again next year.
Posted By: theraif

Re: Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/12/11 05:36 AM

I know its not like being there but i have been watching on espn3.com live, or in reply later
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/12/11 05:48 AM

Quote:

Way to expensive. $51 a ticket for friday and $75 for sunday I have gone to every race since the inaugural and I used to pay $18 on fridays. This year I did buy a groupon coupon for $60 a ticket. It included a hospitality tent, food, drinks race tickets and a question and talk with John Force. Don Garlits and T J Zizzo. I hope they offer that again next year.

PURE GREED on the part of NHRA and NASCAR. And they are paying-the-price now. YES .. the economy is part-of-it but not the mostEST.

BTW ..... HOW does DHL justify that sponsorship ? ... they don't offer service in the USA and Canada anymore ...do they ?
Posted By: Irun5snd8th

Re: Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/12/11 05:51 AM

The seats were not as empty from the starting line on down the track. But they are definitely pricing themselves out. Of course its happening in NBA and MLB as well. People just cant afford $75 tickets. I am personally bored with it and I am one of the biggest drag racing fans there is. Bring on the Pro Mods and 10.5 cars. How about some cars that do wheelies on TV NHRA??
Posted By: SeanD

Re: Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/12/11 12:08 PM

Personally, I love Stock/SuperStock and throw in the rest of the sportsman classes and I am good.

Divisional events are a whole lot less expensive.

Re: Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/12/11 12:11 PM

Aren't some DIV events FREE ENTRY for spectators ?
Posted By: The Avg. Valiant

Re: Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/12/11 12:47 PM

Yes, but that normally doesnt include the pitside. At least thats how it was in Columbus last time I went.
Posted By: Thor500

Re: Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/12/11 12:57 PM

Those funny cars are about as eye apealing as the nascar cars. Ugly, dorky generic are a few descriptions that come to mind.
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/12/11 12:59 PM

Someone has to pay for all the tractor trailers and all the "hospitality tents". They've done priced themselves right out the game.
Posted By: moparacer

Re: Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/12/11 02:46 PM

We need some TF, FC and PS drivers wrecking each other on the track and then fighting in the pits.

They would have to eliminate the center line rule if they tried that though.

Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/12/11 05:25 PM

Quote:

On another note...Zippy is DA MAN!

Posted By: 69dart

Re: Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/12/11 05:29 PM

It was also super HOT. I think it was 95 degrees and muggy?
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/12/11 06:06 PM

They can keep whistling past the graveyard, coming up with excuses, but the sad truth is that attending a National Event just costs too much money. Period.

I'm not saying the show isn't good, isn't worth it, but the end game is that someone still has to shell the bucks out and they are not doing it.

You figure, seats are $50 a piece, for the final day, only. If you want to attend Fri-Sat-Sun you will have $150 in it. + motel. + food. +cost of driving. If you take your wife, double the amount. If you want to take your wife and kids, double, triple, or quadruple that amount.

NHRA operates on a level that cannot support itself, it has to rely on the spectator gate, as opposed to Stock/SS/brackets who support themselves with entries and sales by contingency sponsors. The Pro show relies solely on spectators, and the spectators are out of bucks.

Tough times ahead.
Posted By: Hemi Joe 4911

Re: Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/12/11 06:15 PM

NHRA has never and in my opinion will never admit that they have done anything wrong. As an example this is the first NHRA Columbus/Norwalk race in probably 25 plus years that we have not attended. They have priced themselves out of business and they push the reserved seating so much that fans have said the hell with it. I for one refuse to buy a reserved seat so that I can sit and blister in the sun and have
someone spill beer on me or blow smoke in my face, and I'am stuck in that seat all day.

On TV they only care about top fuel or funny car, and John Force it is a strain for them even to partially cover my favorite pro stock, and other classes are not even mentioned. Remember, if you look at the age of the fan it is middle aged and older and they cannot take the blistering sun. I know at Norwalk, Friday evenings are very crowded and popular and the last Indy race I attended it was the same. At least NASCAR has started to move more races to the evenings, it is easier on the fans and the race cars. Why not start the event at say 2pm and go on from their, and run the final day say from 8am to 5pm. Only a suggestion that I know NHRA will never consider- HEMI JOE
Posted By: ademon

Re: Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/12/11 06:50 PM

"What IS the economy in metro Chicago-land like these days??" economy is about the same as anywhere else, prices are on the high side for a family to attend, and this is geared to old geezers, i'm 42 and would much rather see stock body type cars running twin turbos, 10.5" tires, wheelies, heads up, ETC..ETC..
Posted By: C_Notch

Re: Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/12/11 07:59 PM

Im not sure what I would blame. This yr was my first trip to Route 66 Raceway. I normally attend at Gateway in STL since we live here but with the track being closed it was a toss up as to which event to attend.
Strange thing I noticed this year during eliminations. People where leaving after their "favorite" driver got knocked out. It was hot, Im talking 90-92 on sunday. So the heat might have had something to do with it but we sat next to a lady who was in her 80's and she was living it up...
EVERYONE leaves during PS. No respect for those guys from the fans or most of us.

I was expecting sold out crowds since Gateway was closed and Joilet is only 4.5 hrs away.....I was way wrong. We only sat in our reserved seats on Sunday, only for 1st round. Then you could sit almost anywhere you wanted.
Posted By: moparlifer

Re: Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/12/11 08:02 PM

water was $4, $6 pop, $7 beer sandwichs $10 w/fries. Where does this money go? I guess to pay for John forces "sharpies"?
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/12/11 09:22 PM

I wonder how many stayed home because of the high temperature/humidity.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/12/11 09:32 PM

Were not even good enough for any NHRA events....
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/13/11 01:20 AM

You mean there aren`t thousands of people spending big money to go to National events to see the " Track Walk". Whats sad is that with declining attendance you know NHRA will start charging the Sportsman racers more "user fees" and higher entry fees to make up for the loss then act like its a privilige to race for them.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/13/11 01:39 AM

It's not just the economy or NHRA. About 5 years ago, I had a chance to sit in on a talk given by the Rte 66 complex administrator. It was disgusting. Guess he didn't realize that there were people in the group he was talking to that were racers and spectators. Trust me, it was all about the $ and what ever they thought the populis could bear. I was so pissed I never went back there. Personally, I hope they choke on their 3$ bottles of water.
Posted By: StrkrDart69

Re: Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/13/11 03:07 PM

I only went because I got a great deal with a groupon ticket. Alot of people dont like Force and say he is a sell out, but he is fun to listen to. Here is some talk from friday.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMgqFViBUG4
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/14/11 01:13 AM

BTW ..... HOW does DHL justify that sponsorship ? ... they don't offer service in the USA and Canada anymore ...do they ?

D H L is the independant co that Kalletta Air runs under i beleieve
D H L was airborne express, back in the day,
DHL is mainley overseas, and carries alot of our equip. supplies
goverment money never runs dry

Re: Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/14/11 01:35 AM

Wow ...ole CK sure has a huge operation. And YEAH ... DHL bought-out Airborne ....and actually Airborne was better than either Fedex or UPS in the quick-delivery-biz.
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/14/11 02:13 AM

this year at Atlanta id say it was %80 or better...it was also hot...but the count didnt look anywhere near as bleak as some of those photos...I also recall thinking that the sat only ticket wasnt to bad...price wise..
cheapst.
Posted By: dan1320

Re: Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/14/11 03:50 AM

I agree with Irun6snd8th, I'm bored with it. I'm 56 years old, been going to and racing my own junk since the late sixties early seventies and I think drag racing has lost it's soul. Bracket racing is boring to watch, the cars are too consistent and predictable ( I know, I know, it's the name of the game)and hard for newbies to understand. So unless I'm racing or going with friends who are I'm staying home. As far as the crap on tv...Every race looks like a rerun of the race before. If you don't own or drive for one of the super teams what real chance do fans have to see something or someone different? My choice is to "watch" it on DRC in about 10 minutes of reading the results.
Posted By: Frito

Re: Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/14/11 02:04 PM

Quote:

Someone has to pay for all the tractor trailers and all the "hospitality tents". They've done priced themselves right out the game.

At Bristol, one fuel team had FIVE tractor trailers, even Jim Head has two now!! The Greeks 30 plus year old Chapperal looked WAY out of place parked next to the semis. One team has a semi just for tables, chairs, hospitality stuff and the front full of slicks. Where will it end? or has it already??
Posted By: RATTRAP

Re: Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/14/11 03:54 PM

After they stopped running a full quarter mile, I lost alot of intrest in the nitro class
Posted By: ademon

Re: Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/14/11 04:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

At Bristol, one fuel team had FIVE tractor trailers, even Jim Head has two now!! The Greeks 30 plus year old Chapperal looked WAY out of place parked next to the semis. One team has a semi just for tables, chairs, hospitality stuff and the front full of slicks. Where will it end? or has it already??

I would probably be more excited about seeing Chris Karamesines and his antiquated rig, tools etc.. than all the identically new shiny stuff the corporate sponsored teams have

Re: Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/14/11 04:53 PM

The last NAT event I went to ....G-ville ... 02 ?

REMEMBER that TF team that had the RAMP TRUCK ? .. They had more "fans" than the Shoe team !

Re: Sad FC final pic from Route 66: Bad economy or...?? - 07/14/11 05:10 PM

Attached picture 6729448-TFramptruck2.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums