Moparts

440 main bearings

Posted By: 68roadrunner

440 main bearings - 07/07/11 11:56 PM

what brand and type do you like 3/4, full groove. do you think it makes a difference.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: 440 main bearings - 07/08/11 12:10 AM

3/4 grove is plenty of grove to feed the bearing. Even that is considered over kill by some experts, but they make them because of demand. Anything more just takes away bearing area to support the loads, which are heaviest on the cap half of each bearing. No brand preference, I think I have Clevites in there at the moment.
Posted By: Performance Only

Re: 440 main bearings - 07/08/11 01:37 AM

the demand is there for the full groove bearings simply because they work. getting oil to the rods full time is much more important that losing a little surface area. BB mopar mains have plenty of surface area, even with a full groove to handle horsepower beyond what almost anyone on this site will be making.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 440 main bearings - 07/08/11 06:52 AM

Quote:

the demand is there for the full groove bearings simply because they work. getting oil to the rods full time is much more important that losing a little surface area. BB mopar mains have plenty of surface area, even with a full groove to handle horsepower beyond what almost anyone on this site will be making.

Take a look at the standard race full groove Hemi bearings(real wide grooves ) and then look at the race narrow groove wedge bearings or the Federal Mogul truck main bearings with the full, narrow groove Oiling the rods full time is real important if your going to race the motor and shift it above 6000 RPM very often
Posted By: moparmxz

Re: 440 main bearings - 07/08/11 01:01 PM

I,ve run the half groove clevites for over twenty five years,never a failure. I have laid it on the rev limiter set at 7000 plenty of times.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: 440 main bearings - 07/08/11 01:02 PM

Quote:

I use the Clevite MS-1277HG which are full groove for the later blocks (large thrust surface blocks). The oil to the rods full time is my reason. My last set of rod bearings were in this motor for over 600 passes, so I am happy.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: 440 main bearings - 07/08/11 01:07 PM

Quote:

3/4 grove is plenty of grove to feed the bearing. Even that is considered over kill by some experts, but they make them because of demand. Anything more just takes away bearing area to support the loads, which are heaviest on the cap half of each bearing. No brand preference, I think I have Clevites in there at the moment.

Meant to say full grove are considered overkill,,,,,,,,
This is going to be interesting
Posted By: 68roadrunner

Re: 440 main bearings - 07/08/11 01:34 PM

from what i find only federal mogal and clevite make a h series for this engine, is this correct?
© 2024 Moparts Forums