Moparts

Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital......

Posted By: Dragula

Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 06/30/11 01:48 AM

Well, my engine builder got the Duster back from the chassis shop with the 4-link set-up a lot better. Shocks in a different position, different springs, correct pinion angle, and everything all set the way its supposed to be.

I called as I left work and TNT was still a go. So I get to the track but Paul ends up in the seat for the first pass, not the best driver, but he has been the hired wrench as of late, so he gets the go, and as the car leaves the line....Kaboom! Trans lets go in spectacular fashion! I hop the fence as he pulls it over right in front of me and he kinda stumbles out limping. A lot of parts entered the car, and the floor and gas pedal are now occuping the same space as the brake pedal.

He ended up with a trip to the ER with a broken foot I think. It was almost me, hope he is alright, but I think he is going to be off his feet for a while....
Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Re: Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 06/30/11 02:20 AM

Glad it wasn't any worse than it was. Something like that will get your attention for sure.

Tim
Posted By: cudadon

Re: Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 06/30/11 02:21 AM

Hope he is ok. 1st gear burnout?

Re: Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 06/30/11 02:26 AM

He was not able to walk on the foot, and the hospital was 30 min away, I should know tomorrow.

No, not a 1st gear burn out, but I think when he launched, somthing odd happened. The car spun real bad off the line in 1st, and before short shifting into 2nd he lifted and it sploded.

Now 1, it should not have blown the tires off at the hit, so I am not sure what exactly happened and why it spun, but it hit the rev limiter hard. This was the first pass since the 4-link was set-up, and its a 17x33 slick...
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 06/30/11 02:33 AM

if he spun then hooked it killed the sprag them boom. with out a billet drum or LBA valve body thats a no no.hope he's ok
Posted By: quick77rt

Re: Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 06/30/11 02:58 AM

Any reason your not there or take him yourself? Almost sounds like better him then me, ahh youll be ok, the hospital is only 30 minutes away, you drive an auto? you can make it on one foot.

Please say there was a blanket, shield or steel drum or somthing in the trans to protect any driver.
Posted By: BobR

Re: Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 06/30/11 03:42 AM

Overrunning clutch. The Achilles heal of torqueflite transmissions.

Re: Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 06/30/11 10:41 AM

Quote:

Any reason your not there or take him yourself? Almost sounds like better him then me, ahh youll be ok, the hospital is only 30 minutes away, you drive an auto? you can make it on one foot.

Please say there was a blanket, shield or steel drum or somthing in the trans to protect any driver.

His wife took him after we loaded him in the car. He refused the ambulence...And I normally drive. The car is new and we are working the bugs out. Since it was TNT and not a full race night, he was driving to get some seat time.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 06/30/11 12:18 PM

Sorry to hear about the tranny....I hope your freind is ok..
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 06/30/11 01:31 PM

He is very lucky. A friend had a stock drum saw its way out through the floor, gauge set, dash, and windshield! He was lucky also, only suffered burns from hot fluid.
Posted By: slippery440

Re: Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 06/30/11 01:53 PM

Hope he is OK. Is that the car I saw forsale on Cragslist its Lime Green? How old of a converter? Just a thought that he may have blew thur the converter.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 06/30/11 01:56 PM

Quote:

Yup, not really a racing trans.

Re: Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 06/30/11 02:38 PM

Status report:

Paul has two broken bones in his foot and will be off it for a while. Being that he is self employed, I am not sure about insurence and such, so this cannot be good finacially, but he will be alright, and just needs some time to heal up. Luckily the trans wasn't real hot yet, or it could have been far worse.

Based on what I saw, and what my engine builder is seeing as he pulls what's left out of the car, the over running clutch is what failed when it spun in 1st and he lifted. The convertor and flex plate are all in the car and intact. The trans is what let go in the drum area. Not good, but a Griener LBA VB was just ordered.

And no I don't believe this car was green. It came to the shop in all brown primer, and a pile of boxes and missing a lot of parts.

Re: Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 06/30/11 03:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 06/30/11 03:23 PM

Better get the converter checked out. Mine bent the snout when the trans blew up. As well as the driveshaft.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 06/30/11 03:32 PM

Quote:

The trans is what let go in the drum area. Not good, but a Griener LBA VB was just ordered.

...and a shield and an aluminum from drum!
Posted By: cudadon

Re: Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 06/30/11 03:33 PM

Quote:

I don't know how fast the car is. And I know this can happen to a 12 sec. car also.
There is a reason NHRA mandates shields for 9.99 and quicker.
It's a PIA to install both shields at first. Crewchief Dave and I have it down pat.
I would rather have a PIA than a broken foot.
Don

Attached picture 6706878-wheelsup5-1-11.jpg
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 06/30/11 05:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree.

neither is the powerglide.
Posted By: aquamist60

Re: Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 06/30/11 05:13 PM

Man I'm really glad it wasn't worse, but it's still bad. I feel for him &hope for the best. I broke my right femur middle of May. I posted that story right after it happened. Still not allowed weight on it, after surgery & 3 x's every day doing therapy, and 3-9 months for it to heal. Tell him to stick with what his Dr. & therapists have him do, no skipping. I'm still stuck with a little time on crutches, a little more with a walker & when we go out a wheelchair. My bum leg is still about twice as big as the good one. I only do out outside steps on crutches and someone literally inches away in case I lose my balance, which is easy to do. Inside our house I go up & down the steps on my butt. After the hospital & nursing home & finally getting home it looks like I'm ahead of schedule, but just 1 slip & we start all over again. Wish him well for me.
Oh, I almost forgot. The $$$ cost. So far it's over $100,000, but the insurance is paying a huge part of that thankfully.
Posted By: FlyFish

Re: Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 06/30/11 05:39 PM

So, was there a blanket on the trans? Just curious.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 06/30/11 05:54 PM

Quote:

i would like to know also

sorry to hear about your friend

Re: Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 06/30/11 07:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree.

It's a way better trans for racing, way better.

Re: Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 06/30/11 07:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No...There will be a sheild when I get behind the wheel and the car is back togather. And I think on my two car I will have adjust for that as well.

At this point, I would bet the car will be running again before Paul is up and running again. I will call him today and see how he is feelng.

And to the guy that broke your femer, I read part of that story on how you broke it, and just cringed...I couldn't even read the whole thing. That had to really smart and I cannot imagine the recouperation...Ouch, and hope your doing better.
Posted By: slippery440

Re: Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 06/30/11 07:25 PM

No sheild!! and none on yours double . I have a couple of friends that think they don't need a Trany sheild. I won't get in their car to race it.I like to walk.
Posted By: wicked

Re: Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 06/30/11 07:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No...There will be a sheild when I get behind the wheel and the car is back togather. And I think on my two car I will have adjust for that as well.

At this point, I would bet the car will be running again before Paul is up and running again. I will call him today and see how he is feelng.

And to the guy that broke your femer, I read part of that story on how you broke it, and just cringed...I couldn't even read the whole thing. That had to really smart and I cannot imagine the recouperation...Ouch, and hope your doing better.

Yep,all the horror stories and this still happened , But the good thing is you'll make the necessary safety precautions before "YOU" drive it, Sorry guy,what happened to your buddy is a well known fact and your responses have been rather nonchalant.
Posted By: julian2007

Re: Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 06/30/11 08:32 PM

You still better put a good drum in it even with a low band apply brake.I would also put a&a's ultimate sprag in it as well you can't be too careful with your legs!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 06/30/11 08:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree.

Depends on the application.

Re: Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 06/30/11 10:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree.

You must use a TF in your so called race car.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 06/30/11 11:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree.

You must use a TF in your so called race car.

I do, at 3260# with a small block, 6.57 in the 1/8, I think a powerglide would kill it. Do you use a powerglide in your dragster? When was the last pass you made in it?

BTW, mines not a race car, I drive it on the street too.

Re: Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 07/01/11 03:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree.

There is absolutely nothing "powerglide" about my powerglide. It just resembles one. 3000 HP and zero failures over 4 years.
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 07/01/11 03:34 PM

Quote:

You still better put a good drum in it even with a low band apply brake.I would also put a&a's ultimate sprag in it as well you can't be too careful with your legs!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Somerdale Flash

Re: Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 07/01/11 03:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

X3... Give John Cope a call. No one better to deal with... Too many people getting hurt out there...John will explain what to do, to be safe.

http://coperacingtrans.com/
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Almost Ended Up with a Trip to the Hospital...... - 07/01/11 06:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree.

There is absolutely nothing "powerglide" about my powerglide. It just resembles one. 3000 HP and zero failures over 4 years.

exactly.
© 2024 Moparts Forums