Moparts

Internal balancein 360

Posted By: HotRodDave

Internal balancein 360 - 06/10/11 03:17 AM

Can a 360 internally balance if you use a light weight rod like a SCAT I beam and a piston that is a little lighter like a KB107 can it be internally balanced with no mallory?
Posted By: ETASPEN

Re: Internal balancein 360 - 06/10/11 03:26 AM

I don't know for a fact, but I did a similar build with a light forged Wiseco flat top piston, scat rod (factory cast crank), and was told it could not be done without mallory. It did ext. balance fine.
Posted By: LA360

Re: Internal balancein 360 - 06/10/11 03:50 AM

I don't believe so, closest I have seen is a 360 I had that had 6.625" Aluminium rods with a ultra lightened flat top venolia piston with a thin wall wrist pin. Piston and pin weighed around 440-460 grams. Whomever balanced the assembly welded extra material to the ends of the counterweights. I don't see it happening with off the shelf parts, you would need atleast a couple slugs of mallory metal.
Posted By: Performance Only

Re: Internal balancein 360 - 06/10/11 04:41 AM

Quote:

Can a 360 internally balance if you use a light weight rod like a SCAT I beam and a piston that is a little lighter like a KB107 can it be internally balanced with no mallory?

the 107 isn't light enough to get you there. to internally balance you'll need to be around 1475-1525 grams on the bobweight. the lightest i've typically seen with light shelf parts is around 1725. remember that your dealing with cranks that typically already have 1" holes 1 1/2 inches deep in the front and rear ctwts. welding them up like one might do with a steel crank isn't recommended on a cast crank.
Posted By: fasteddie

Re: Internal balancein 360 - 06/11/11 03:40 AM

The 360 in the Dart is internally balanced. We used a stock cast crank, flat top SRP pistons and Scat I beams. I don't know the weights but I do know the machine shop had to drill some holes in the crank to balance it. No Mallory metal needed.
Posted By: Performance Only

Re: Internal balancein 360 - 06/11/11 04:39 AM

Quote:

The 360 in the Dart is internally balanced. We used a stock cast crank, flat top SRP pistons and Scat I beams. I don't know the weights but I do know the machine shop had to drill some holes in the crank to balance it. No Mallory metal needed.

so you didn't have a damper or flexplate on it when it was balanced? i've used that same combo of parts and the bobweight was in the mid 1700's. i'd love to know what the casting # of that crank was in your combo that still needed to be lightened. very very unusual.
Posted By: formula S

Re: Internal balancein 360 - 06/11/11 12:43 PM

Quote:

Could you post the balance sheet I'd like to see the weights of the components used in your build
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Internal balancein 360 - 06/11/11 02:16 PM

Quote:

Our 360/408 has Scat cast 4" crank, Scat I-beams & Icon flat tops (not light) and took one very small slug.

Rickster
© 2024 Moparts Forums