Moparts

will a Turbo melt a Glass' hood??

Posted By: speedfreak440

will a Turbo melt a Glass' hood?? - 06/07/11 06:59 PM

Got a 69 Charger I am in the process of turbocharging. Anyone have a problem with melting/setting fire to a fiberglass hood?

My glass hood is a stock-style so there's not alot of clearance, I would love to save weight but it's not too late to switch back to the steel hood before paint.

Forgot to add, this is a street car & it will see idle-time in traffic.... Gets up to 110 degrees or so here in Alabama.
Posted By: dOOc

Re: will a Turbo melt a Glass' hood?? - 06/07/11 07:38 PM

How far away is the major heat-source from the hood ?

Re: will a Turbo melt a Glass' hood?? - 06/07/11 07:42 PM

Based on initial mock-ups I'm thinking some of the after-turbo hot piping will be around 2.5" away.
Posted By: CUUDAK

Re: will a Turbo melt a Glass' hood?? - 06/07/11 08:11 PM

Quote:

Based on initial mock-ups I'm thinking some of the after-turbo hot piping will be around 2.5" away.

Coat it and wrap it and you will have NO worries!!
Posted By: dOOc

Re: will a Turbo melt a Glass' hood?? - 06/07/11 08:39 PM

Quote:

2.5 inches is close ..... but in any case ... WHICHever hood you choose .... you are going to have to protect it.

Get some reflective/insulative sheeting and glue-it to the hood ...and then build a shield over that piping.

Re: will a Turbo melt a Glass' hood?? - 06/07/11 08:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Will do, thanks. I was planning on coating those parts anyway just wasn't sure if it would still be too much heat. So thanks for the re-assurance.

Re: will a Turbo melt a Glass' hood?? - 06/07/11 08:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

2.5 inches is close ..... but in any case ... WHICHever hood you choose .... you are going to have to protect it.

Get some reflective/insulative sheeting and glue-it to the hood ...and then build a shield over that piping.

2.5 inches is a conservative measurement (probably closer to 3.5) but I like to give myself a little bit of room for error. I will go ahead & mount a sheild/insulation as well as coating & wrapping. Thanks for the intel.
Posted By: feets

Re: will a Turbo melt a Glass' hood?? - 06/07/11 09:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That's it!

No glove, no love.

Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: will a Turbo melt a Glass' hood?? - 06/08/11 12:26 AM

I had the world's crappiest hood. An "unlimited" brand. The hood would smell like fresh fiberglass on hot days cruising. During dragstrip passes it would get so soft it would look like a flag in the breeze...No joke.
I ended up making some very light, thin gauge aluminum shields mounted on the underside of the hood and it solved all the previous mentioned problems. It was very cheap, and never got in the way or complicated working on the engine in any way.

Attached picture 6671809-e-mailsizedpics011.jpg
Posted By: CUUDAK

Re: will a Turbo melt a Glass' hood?? - 06/08/11 01:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Will do, thanks. I was planning on coating those parts anyway just wasn't sure if it would still be too much heat. So thanks for the re-assurance.

This is what I am using,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DEI-TITAN...sQ5fAccessories

I also got the high temp silicone coating and media blasted all the hotside pipe and turbine housing and shot them and cooked them per instructions. I will get them wrapped this weekend and post a pic.
Posted By: joshking440

Re: will a Turbo melt a Glass' hood?? - 06/08/11 06:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's it!

No glove, no love.

I run that same turbo blanket and ir rests against the paint of the car with zero issues.

Re: will a Turbo melt a Glass' hood?? - 06/08/11 07:51 PM

I actually work at a John Deere dealership & have access to industrial turbo blankets like that, I will pick one out of our parts dept. that fits my turbo pretty closely. Thanks for all of the replies, it's cool that moparts is really starting to get some turbo love!!!
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: will a Turbo melt a Glass' hood?? - 06/10/11 02:54 AM

Ha ha ha
Snail condoms!

I need a big one
© 2024 Moparts Forums