Moparts

Turbo size? Opinions welcome.

Posted By: ADakotaRTGuy

Turbo size? Opinions welcome. - 05/28/11 08:53 PM

Looking at what size turbo to go with. 440 small block 9.5:1, W9 heads(unported), MPFI with FAST XFI, stainless steel manifolds T4 flange (1 5/8ths), 727, 3.23 gears.

Looking to push about 10psi on the street and 14-18psi at the track.

Looking at something in this range.

87mm 1.25 Turbine housing T4 4” downpipe.

Good? Opinions?
Posted By: EV2DEMON

Re: Turbo size? Opinions welcome. - 05/28/11 10:09 PM

Do you have any parts yet? If you're starting from scratch with those cubes, go T6 and look at something like a GT47 88.
Posted By: feets

Re: Turbo size? Opinions welcome. - 05/29/11 01:20 AM

You need something bigger than a T4 flange if you plan on a single. If not, you're going to seriously limit yourself on power and have insane back pressure.
Posted By: CW25

Re: Turbo size? Opinions welcome. - 05/29/11 03:54 AM

If it is for twins a T4 is good. Single you need a T6 and at least a 88mm probably better off with a 91... What are you looking to make for HP. Boost means nothing those W9 heads will flow alot.

Re: Turbo size? Opinions welcome. - 05/29/11 05:10 AM

Right now I don't have anything. Not even a wastegate or anything. Just the motor. Space is my limitation. I was looking to do about 1000hp or about 800 to the wheels.

This is my old setup with a 408 and a supercharger. All the A/C stuff is gone as well as all the other stuff sitting in that corner.

Posted By: CUUDAK

Re: Turbo size? Opinions welcome. - 05/29/11 05:50 AM

Quote:

Space is my limitation.

You think you got space issues now?? Think about where your 5 inch DP is gonna go with a T6 like an S480! It is one honker of a turbo! I know, I got one.

Re: Turbo size? Opinions welcome. - 05/29/11 11:24 AM

So it sounds like major fabrication or a set of twins.
Posted By: feets

Re: Turbo size? Opinions welcome. - 05/29/11 04:30 PM

The twins vs single debate will continue until the end of time.
What it boils down to is packaging. You should use whatever will fit in your engine compartment best.
Posted By: Wilde Racing

Re: Turbo size? Opinions welcome. - 05/29/11 04:34 PM

It is, but so is getting an BW s480. It might be easier to fit two 3.5 pipes vs one 4.5-5 inch pipe. plus 5 inch pipe costs a lot of money. a single s480 set-up will still be cheaper than twins, unless you use china turbos. If you have the money you can find a smaller T-6 80+ turbo than the Borg Warner, the Garrett GT-80 is about an inch small height and length.

Re: Turbo size? Opinions welcome. - 05/29/11 05:12 PM

Will the 1 5/8th in header pipes work? I am sure I could hack up the fenders and create space. But a 5 inch downpipe won't fit in between the trans and frame. Would have to go to a bumper exhaust or something creative. How illegal is driving on the street with an exhaust sticking out of the front bumper?

This is what I can cut out to try and make something work. This will be street driven.

Old picture, but only one I have of the passenger side bumper. Outline in white circle where the exhaust could possibly go.

Posted By: CUUDAK

Re: Turbo size? Opinions welcome. - 05/29/11 05:55 PM

You can remote mount it! Somewhere under the bed!! Alot more pipe involved but no worries about where to mount it!

Re: Turbo size? Opinions welcome. - 05/29/11 06:39 PM

Been there, done that. The oil return pump is always a concern.

Re: Turbo size? Opinions welcome. - 05/29/11 06:46 PM

Yea, not a big fan of the remote systems.

I am sure a good fabricator can make a T6 fit in there.

SDCE does make a twin kit that will fit.

http://www.sd-concepts.com/pages/cfTurboDakotaRT.cfm

Re: Turbo size? Opinions welcome. - 05/29/11 07:27 PM

OMG, that looks tight.

I dont think you will like driving the truck if you dump the five inch out the front bumper. My truck was WAY lound when I had the 3 inch cut-out open with my five inch down pipe.

Re: Turbo size? Opinions welcome. - 05/29/11 07:29 PM

Even more reason to go with a twin system. I can do two 3" pipes pretty easily and still be able to run some pipe to quite it down and be able to enjoy it on the street.
Posted By: Sick 660r

Re: Turbo size? Opinions welcome. - 05/29/11 08:41 PM

saw this comming LOL

Re: Turbo size? Opinions welcome. - 05/29/11 08:44 PM

Yea, well you can bask in it all you want. I don't like that twin system, but looks like my only real option vice going completely custom. Wish I was home to actually work on the damn thing.
Posted By: EV2DEMON

Re: Turbo size? Opinions welcome. - 05/29/11 09:36 PM

I'm doing a Ford Fox body right now, and I think I'm going to dump it right behind the front tire. 5" won't fit under the car, and I don't want to split into 2 pipes.

If you dump a single 5" at the bumper, there may be room to get a bullet style muffler. Might make it tolerable anyway.

Local guy has a GN with a 4" downpipe right in front of the front tire that he street drives, and it's not as loud as you'd think.
Posted By: Sick 660r

Re: Turbo size? Opinions welcome. - 05/29/11 10:11 PM

Im dumping mine out the fender under the antenna. I will only see a few street miles so im not that worried about it.

Re: Turbo size? Opinions welcome. - 05/29/11 10:16 PM

At this point I might forgo the entire turbo system and just slap some headers on it. Pending where I get orders too next I might not see the truck for 2-3 years. No need to dump all that extra money on it for it to sit. I can do that when I come back.
© 2024 Moparts Forums