Moparts

BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY

Posted By: rickb67

BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/23/11 04:45 AM

I HAVE STAGE VI HEADS AND I AM NOT HAPPY . 125 PASSES AND HAVE HAD TO REDO THEM TWICE AND THE INTAKES ARE SUNK IN THE HEAD. JUST SO I DON'T SCREW UP AGAIN. WHAT SHOULD I BUY.
Posted By: Twin Turbo Mower

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/23/11 04:51 AM

Indy sr's or ez heads that use standard rockers.
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/23/11 04:58 AM

Indy Sr's or the EZ's for a relatively stock looking head after the Indy logos are ground off. Hide the oil feed lines in the rear and pop on some stock valve covers and you're in like flint.
Posted By: cudabin

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/23/11 05:17 AM

How much Horsepower do you want to make, and how many cubes???

No "one answer" for all applications...

Cheers,

Arnie
Posted By: Ari440

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/23/11 05:27 AM

440-1s

aready had the indy sr,s

and moved up to the 440-1 cnc 345s

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/23/11 05:38 AM

Would like to be around 650 horse. Next engine will be a 500 incher.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/23/11 05:56 AM

500 cubes is borderline between SRs and 440-1 heads, or B1s. Each will do a good job for a certain application. If you get a copy of AndyFs book How to Build max-performance mopar big-blocks, he has a chart of the three most common port sizes and where the torque peak comes on for each at different motor size.
I would be shopping for Eddys up to 675 hp, Indy heads or Eddy Victors for 700 to 900 hp, or if I am going for 900 hp and above, B1s.
Posted By: moparniac

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/23/11 05:59 AM

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/23/11 06:39 AM

Where can i find that book. might answer a lot of questions
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/23/11 07:29 AM

Quote:

Edelbrock RPM heads CNC ported by Modern Cylinder heads will make that power no problem on a pump gas 500 inch motor Been there, done that I have made 625 Hp with a set of standard 440 port size 906 on a high compression bracket race 452 CI motor and a little more HP on race gas using a non ported set of B1-BS heads with standard 440 port size heads on another bracket 452 C.I.440 motor The block becomes the limiting factor when you start getting above 650 HP on the high deck Mopar blocks
Posted By: rebel

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/23/11 07:45 AM

my home port SR's made 650 hp with a streetable solid cam in my first 451. that got my'71 'cuda down to 10.7@127mph in street trim. std Hooker headers work with the low deck Indy heads too.

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/23/11 02:04 PM

Quote:

Where can i find that book. might answer a lot of questions

Amazon carries it, another great book is Big block Mopar performance, by Chuck Senatore. Both worth reading over and over.
Posted By: cudaboy

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/23/11 04:24 PM

Where are all the ProComp cheerleaders?

Dennis
Posted By: 2QUICK4U

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/23/11 04:29 PM

B1BS HEADS ARE GREAT TOO.IM MAKING 842 HP WITH THEM.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/23/11 04:44 PM

As stated it will depend on the desired application for the engine in question. Greg's outline is pretty much what we follow. Hard to beat the Edelbrocks for value. I have no first hand experience with the 440 source heads but I would think they would be pretty hard to beat as well for anything in the 600-700hp range. Provided they get a good bill of health. If it is primarily a street car I think I would want to keep the port cross section smaller to make it a more street friendly set up, especially in a heavy car. I had very good luck with Indy SR's in my Belvedere. It was 3770lbs with a 451 and SR's with the std port size and the car went 10.50's on pump gas. Worked very well for me..
Posted By: AndyF

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/23/11 08:09 PM

Quote:

650 hp can be done with ported Edelbrock heads if that is as far as you want to go. If you want to step the engine up in the future then a set of Indy EZ heads would be a better strategy. The EZ heads are good up to 800+ hp which is then where you need an aftermarket block.

Read the book, I covered this topic in there in a lot more depth.

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/23/11 08:11 PM

The Stage VI heads are good once you get them fixed. Dwayne can take care of them for you but it will probably cost as much to fix them as it would to just by a set of RPM heads. Tough choice to make, especially if you need to by a new intake manifold.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/23/11 08:31 PM

Quote:

Dennis

i would try the Procomps after Jeff at Modern has stated several times here that he can get big flow numbers out of them
Posted By: DaKuda

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/23/11 09:29 PM

I have had most all of them except the exotics....street friendly...Indy SR all the way and dont look back. Great head.
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/23/11 10:16 PM

Quote:

I would second that!

Brodix makes the B1-BS head and I have never had a problem with them. They are real good if you open them to the Max Wedge port.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/23/11 10:22 PM

I really like my home ported rpm`s..............slightly bigger than stock port and just had em freshened after 6 years and all they needed was a valve job. The guides were awesome and we put rubber seals on instead of the teflon I was running. I should be making 600+ based on my et and weight of 3150+lbs AND, I drive the hell out of it on the street.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/23/11 11:00 PM

i wouldn't buy a bottle of wax from indy. had garbage hemi heads from them & after hearing other problems on here, i'd spend ur hard earned money on b1's or bodix!! stay safe, seeya, Rick.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/23/11 11:01 PM

915's

Seriously, depends on the combo and what you want to do with it as stated above.

It's actually fun to have choices, unlike the 80's
Posted By: B1Fish540

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/23/11 11:27 PM

Quote:

Dennis

yeah Pro Comp are the best bang or buck! Or the 440 Source both are from China...but so are most of the cranks and rods you buy too...so what difference does it make?
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/24/11 01:00 AM

After you buy a set of heads and have to have them maxx out to get enough CFM you end up with about the same $$$ as a set of 440-1 heads. And later if you ever need more cu. in. & you will,you won't have to buy new heads again.

The only problem I have ever had with Indy,is breaking parts from the power they make.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/24/11 01:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Dennis

yeah Pro Comp are the best bang or buck! Or the 440 Source both are from China...but so are most of the cranks and rods you buy too...so what difference does it make?

i'm holding out for the chinese copy of the drag pack hemi intake. $1000 is just a little to much to swallow from ma mopar. you have to wonder how many they could sell if they would cut the price in half
Posted By: moparmanjames

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/24/11 03:21 AM

Quote:

Dennis

Excellent head if you buy it bare and have it CNC ported, the downside is having to buy offset rockers but if you can afford it Modern Cylinder got them to flow 386 according to this:

http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tablehdc.htm#Chrysler_Big_Block
Posted By: brktracr

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/24/11 03:32 AM

I run the SR's and the car runs 9.40's - 9.50's weighing 3140 with me in it. As previously stated I think the 440-1 or B1's are the best value for the money. Wish I would have bought them instead of the SR's. Much more potential performance not for a whole lot more money. My
Posted By: dartman366

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/24/11 03:51 AM

Good post guy's,,keep it going.

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/24/11 04:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dennis

i'm holding out for the chinese copy of the drag pack hemi intake. $1000 is just a little to much to swallow from ma mopar. you have to wonder how many they could sell if they would cut the price in half

I agree, and wish they would. Unfortunately, they would probably need to sell three times as many for the same profit.

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/24/11 04:40 AM

Wow great coments.I have a 67 cuda bracket car 3300 lbs with driver 440 with 727 4.56 29.5x10.5 m/ts. wold like to run 10.50's. If i can i will keep the VIs just because i made that choice and i am hardheaded.
Posted By: PolyDart

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/24/11 05:10 AM

I've got Stealth heads with OOTB ports. I've run a best of 10.41 @ 127 in a 512 CI Dart which weighs 3380 with me in it.

Looking forward to having them CNC ported and dropping down to the 10.0s.

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/24/11 06:26 AM

A 440 with Stage VI heads should go 9's in an A body without too much trouble. Just have to get it sorted out.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/24/11 06:40 AM

The Edelbrock Max Wedge victors are decent for the price, but not without some issues. The heads with valves from Edelbrock are setup for stock valve spring heights. If I used them again, I would get the heads without valves, then get longer valve. Because the longer valves will change the rocker geometry, mill off the rocker stands and use the maxwedge style rocker shaft hold downs.

On my 4.15" stroked 400 block (about 500"), with the KB/ICON flat top pistons it has about 12.4:1 compression. The pistons could use deeper valve pockets if you are going to run a cam with 270 or more duration @ 0.050.

I'm running a 264@0.050" cam and the engine makes over 650 HP.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/24/11 06:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I would second that!

Brodix makes the B1-BS head and I have never had a problem with them. They are real good if you open them to the Max Wedge port.

The B1-BS heads are good, but the small 65cc chambers would make a 500" engine with flat top pistons about 13.9:1 compression, which may be good if using race gas (or not too good if using pump gas?). OOB they don't flow much different that a RPM head, but can be ported to over 350cfm with maxwedge port size.

I have a set of used B1-BS heads with one damaged port/chamber. I was going to have them rebuilt and ported, but got the Victor heads. If your interested in the used heads, I'll sell them for $1,000 (Less than the cost of one new bare head.)
Here is a pic of the bad chamber:

Attached picture 6648156-b1bsChamber.jpg
Posted By: gch

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/24/11 11:07 AM

SEnd your heads to Dwayne Porter and let him check them out.Maybe he can repair them.
Like every one said it depends on your power level and how far you want to push the block.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/25/11 05:08 PM

But he's looking to sell them.
R.

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/25/11 05:54 PM

Quote:

I HAVE STAGE VI HEADS AND I AM NOT HAPPY . 125 PASSES AND HAVE HAD TO REDO THEM TWICE AND THE INTAKES ARE SUNK IN THE HEAD. JUST SO I DON'T SCREW UP AGAIN. WHAT SHOULD I BUY.

why did you have to have them redone twice? As far as which heads to run what is the application(street, race only or?) and how much power do you want to make? Also what C.I., comp. ratio and camshaft used?Lots of choices out there Mild to wild i have used stock 906 and made 480 HP on CA pump gas on a 452 C.I. 440 street motor. I just finished dyno testing a 527 stroker 440 block that made 845 HP at 7000 RPM on race gas, 440-1 CNC ported 12.9 to 1 comp. ratio single 1050 dominator carb.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/25/11 07:56 PM

My stroked 400(470)went 10.40`s w/traction issues and made 614hp-580tq w/906`s and a 590-605 solid Isky cam.
Posted By: dragram440

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/25/11 08:19 PM

I have stage VI heads on a 499 in a 3800 lb charger and with no tuning it has ran a best of 10.60 in the 8 passes I have on it. We will see how long they last I guess. I bought the whole top end package from somebody off ebay and they were already worked over but still brand new. I dont know how good of a job is done to them but they seem to make ok power. I think I have a little power left in it. I was launching very easy off a idle with the foot brakes. 1.52 60 ft. I guess I am happy with the power we will see on durability.
Posted By: Dean_Kuzluzski

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/25/11 09:32 PM

Can't see throwing down for an aftermarket block yet.

So for me, a pump gas, OEM production B or RB block with a 4.15 stroker kit is the plan.................after much evaluation of what's out there, it'll be a set of the Indy EZ's. They have the improved intake runner/passage, taller valves, aluminum (weight savings), will fit either my A or B body, takes a wide selection of standard valvetrain/rocker gear and can be ported to MW inlets later.

The complete kit is here.........http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/indyezheads1.html
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/26/11 02:18 AM

I think The EZ's are the best head for the money with room to grow
It would be easy to put a car into the nines with them and not have to spend a lot of money on high dollar parts
Gus

Attached picture 6651086-burnoutpicturegus.JPG
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/26/11 02:37 AM

I'd like to know what the problem was with the stage IV's in the 1st place

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/26/11 05:08 AM

Mr cab my cuda is race only bracket car. the reason i have had to redo them twice is the intakes are leaking during a leakdown test. It seems the seats are dropping.

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/26/11 06:09 AM

Quote:

Mr cab my cuda is race only bracket car. the reason i have had to redo them twice is the intakes are leaking during a leakdown test. It seems the seats are dropping.

It sounds like the seats are moving around when running or warmed up I wonder how soon it will be before one falls all the way out I have used B1-BS, Indy SR M.W. port size, Indy 440-1 CNC ported, Eddy RPM stock and CNC ported on two different motors all made good power, the bigger the ports(air flow) the more power you can make I have a new set of Koffels original B1 that they ported for me which I haven't use yet I'm waiting for a really good iron block to use them on It depends on how much power you want the heads to make and how big the motor is Lots of choices out there
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/26/11 07:23 AM

Quote:

Send them to a reputable shop and have new seats put in. Much cheaper in the long run.

Porter, Koffel, Radar come to mind.

My 3000# 500" Barracuda went 9.20's with Stage VI M/W ported heads. However, they were done by Don Studley, who is not with us any more.

But the first thing he did was put new seats in new heads..

Wonder why that was..

Chris..

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/26/11 02:34 PM

A buddy had a set of pro comps set up to race with. The guy at the shop said it would be best to work with them basically bare with valves for a race deal. They did make good power after some port work though. But that is only one set of heads. As they say, results may vary.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/26/11 02:38 PM

Chris is correct..I would send your Stage VI heads to Dwayne Porter or Radar...If Jeff at Modern Cylinder was well,he would also be a great choice!
Posted By: supercomp

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/26/11 06:40 PM

We used a set of bare cnc ported pro comps and had Mike Chenoweth to plane to 60cc's and do the valve job using Ferrea valves. We're setting them up with trick flow pacaloy roller springs, comp spring cups, retainers, locks and T&D rocckers. Turned out nice. Going on a 451.
Posted By: Womanator

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/26/11 09:50 PM

I am running the SR's
Solid cam in the .650 range
Ran a best of 9.59
499 ci engine.
230 cold block
300 plus pass's on the block

Ported heads this year,more comp,bigger roller cam and upgraded the valve gear.
Lightened car more
Looking for low nines
All this with Sr heads

T and D rockers

I was at 756 hp before the new mods
The sr's worked out for me

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/27/11 04:57 AM

I did talk to Dwayne at Porters. I am gonna race this year with the 440 and stage VIs and then this fall I will send Dwayne the heads and he will make them right. I didn't race at all last year so it is time. Told my son to get his duster ready cause we are going to mopars on the strip in 2 years.
Posted By: rva

Re: BEST BIG BLOCK HEADS FOR THE MONEY - 05/27/11 10:53 AM

Quote:

I did talk to Dwayne at Porters. I am gonna race this year with the 440 and stage VIs and then this fall I will send Dwayne the heads and he will make them right. I didn't race at all last year so it is time. Told my son to get his duster ready cause we are going to mopars on the strip in 2 years.

© 2024 Moparts Forums