Moparts

indy heads one darker in color than the other???

Posted By: rlm2268

indy heads one darker in color than the other??? - 05/06/11 01:31 AM

I noticed when I took my indy SR cnc 295 heads out of the box one head is darker, almost a gray color and the other looks like regular aluminum color. Anyone ever see this and what causes it?, kinda sucks because I'm kinda picky on appearance.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: indy heads one darker in color than the other??? - 05/06/11 02:13 AM

My EZ's have what looks like a stain in the casting and I tried 3 different things to clean it and it seems to be permanent
Gus

Attached picture 6619467-burnoutpicturegus.JPG
Posted By: toplescuda

Re: indy heads one darker in color than the other??? - 05/06/11 04:09 AM

i have worked in diecast at briggs stratton for 8 years
2 things make alum change colors (cast anyway)
1 is the alum was 2 differnt temps when poured ,die was cooler on the darker one
2 the darker head was wet with something
the hoter the die and alum is when poured the shiner/ brighter the part is when it comes out
a colder part has a greater chance to have prosity in it as the alum is trying to firm up
Posted By: Joshs68

Re: indy heads one darker in color than the other??? - 05/06/11 02:21 PM

Ill take em if you just can't stand them....
Posted By: Crazy68Dart

Re: indy heads one darker in color than the other??? - 05/06/11 04:49 PM

Posted By: 440Jim

Re: indy heads one darker in color than the other??? - 05/06/11 05:22 PM

Have you tried taking a wire wheel on a drill to shine 'em up?
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: indy heads one darker in color than the other??? - 05/06/11 05:48 PM

unacceptable. they should be identical. processes and methods are refined enough (one would hope) that this would not happen. maybe it won't be an issue. maybe the bruins will win the stanley cup. maybe...
Posted By: Old School

Re: indy heads one darker in color than the other??? - 05/06/11 07:16 PM

Quote:

I noticed when I took my indy SR cnc 295 heads out of the box one head is darker, almost a gray color and the other looks like regular aluminum color. Anyone ever see this and what causes it?, kinda sucks because I'm kinda picky on appearance.

you are going to like those 295 sr,s. i have 3 sets....
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: indy heads one darker in color than the other??? - 05/06/11 07:39 PM

You can use Eagle One Etching Mag Cleaner, or just cast aluminum cleaner. It will turn them both white in color. I always used this stuff on my aluminum heads/block.. and they always look near new after.... Just use brush and scrub them soaked in this stuff.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: indy heads one darker in color than the other??? - 05/06/11 09:15 PM

Just paint the damn things with aluminum cast-blast and forget it.

I'm as picky as you are and had no two cast pieces the same color in the the entire engine compartment - until I painted them all !!!
Posted By: Lil Demon

Re: indy heads one darker in color than the other??? - 05/06/11 10:26 PM

I'm going to respectfully disagee with most in this thread. You just paid Indy good money for those heads. Tell them the issue and have them send you a new head - period.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: indy heads one darker in color than the other??? - 05/06/11 10:30 PM

Quote:

I'm going to respectfully disagee with most in this thread. You just paid Indy good money for those heads. Tell them the issue and have them send you a new head - period.

could lead to problems down the road and they are not the easiest to deal with. do it now.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: indy heads one darker in color than the other??? - 05/06/11 10:40 PM

i agree with lil demon. we work hard for our money. companies talk up their product, get ur cash, then u receive their product & it's not up to the standards u think they should be. i'm picky too, i'd send them back. u could try some zepalume, it's a good aluminum brightner. seeya.
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: indy heads one darker in color than the other??? - 05/06/11 11:18 PM

Lets see some pics....
Posted By: FastOne

Re: indy heads one darker in color than the other??? - 05/07/11 12:50 AM

I noticed a bit of core shift in one Indy head so thought I'd weigh the pair out of curiosity, the core shift head was lighter than the other one
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: indy heads one darker in color than the other??? - 05/07/11 12:57 AM

Quote:

one head is darker, almost a gray color

Time for a paternity test...

<Maury Povich> "You are NOT the father!</Maury Povich>
Posted By: DemonDust

Re: indy heads one darker in color than the other??? - 05/07/11 01:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

one head is darker, almost a gray color

Time for a paternity test...

<Maury Povich> "You are NOT the father!</Maury Povich>

Thats funny right there...

I agree with the above. You spend hard earned money on something they should make it right and do it right away. Indy will find a way to get out of it otheriwse...

Did you ever get in touch with Gritzmacher to do your heads?
Posted By: Stanton

Re: indy heads one darker in color than the other??? - 05/07/11 01:06 AM

Indy will say its not an issue and will do nothing.
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: indy heads one darker in color than the other??? - 05/07/11 01:10 AM

Quote:

I got ten bucks thats says they'll hang up on you. lol.
Posted By: DaKuda

Re: indy heads one darker in color than the other??? - 05/07/11 01:12 AM

Quote:

Re: indy heads one darker in color than the other??? - 05/07/11 01:22 AM

I acually bought them a while back from a moparts member on here, he said he got them directly from indy. I didnt try any aluminum cleaners yet. I'm guessing it might have to be a acid type alum. cleaner to do anything. I'll figure something out.

I didn't get in touch with gritzmacher yet about doing a valve job, just deciding on what valves to order and cutting the heads for spring cups.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: indy heads one darker in color than the other??? - 05/07/11 11:42 AM

If you bought them other than direct from Indy,someone may have beadblasted one head.When we clean and redo old heads(beadblast) they come out with a dull finish.

Re: indy heads one darker in color than the other??? - 05/07/11 01:12 PM

Quote:

I acually bought them a while back from a moparts member on here, he said he got them directly from indy.

Well, I hope it is not a functional issue (casting problem). I wouldn't expect any head company to do anything about color appearnce... If you had bought them recently from a registered dealer, they might go above and beyond if it was possible. And since they are technically used heads now (changed owners), I don't expect anyone to do anything.

Check them out carefully, and just do whatever appearance/cosmetic finish you want. Just a reality check, sorry.

Re: indy heads one darker in color than the other??? - 05/07/11 01:17 PM

Quote:

... just deciding on what valves to order and cutting the heads for spring cups.

From all the posts about rocker clearance, be sure and get valves long enough to not need +0.050" retainers, or lash caps. If they are a touch long, you can put -0.050" retainers on and that should give even more retainer to rocker clearance.

But if you are going with 1.5" dia springs and a low installed height (1.90"), then it shouldn't be an issue. If you want 1.95-2.00" and/or 1.625" springs, give this attention when buying valves.
This is when a race head shop is worth the money to get it right the first time instead of band-aiding the the issue.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: indy heads one darker in color than the other??? - 05/07/11 01:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I acually bought them a while back from a moparts member on here, he said he got them directly from indy.

Well, I hope it is not a functional issue (casting problem). I wouldn't expect any head company to do anything about color appearnce... If you had bought them recently from a registered dealer, they might go above and beyond if it was possible. And since they are technically used heads now (changed owners), I don't expect anyone to do anything.

Check them out carefully, and just do whatever appearance/cosmetic finish you want. Just a reality check, sorry.

second hand changes the whole ball game. no telling whats been done to them.

Re: indy heads one darker in color than the other??? - 05/07/11 04:22 PM

The heads for sure have not been used and not blasted. One thing is the cnc porting looks nice and they are the cnc castings.

I'm thinking maybe ferrea 6000 series valves and isky 8005a springs for a solid flat tappet cam.
© 2024 Moparts Forums