Moparts

64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures

Posted By: LAR_414

64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/18/08 01:12 PM

Here are some pictures of a real 64 A-990 Hemi Dodge.

Apparently it was (not complete) at the Hemi re-union. I remember this car when the owner got it about 10 years ago. It was totally a race car all it's life with a scary roll bar in it, hacked up tubs and hacked everywhere.

But when I saw it in a corner of the owners place (Huge Ford guy), I knew what it was. My buddy is a ford guy but is interested in all old cars. I bet him that I could lift that door (bare metal leaning against a wall) with one finger. He said, "no way". I did.

Alum doors, Alum fends, Alum door hinges.

Check this car out.

Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/18/08 01:35 PM

Cool car, thanks for sharing LAR!

*As nice as that car looks it's screaming for the correct engine paint, coil, voltage regulator, plastic fuel filters, dip stick/tube/clip, and a few other minor details.
Posted By: therocks

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/18/08 05:50 PM

Fredrick Motors is right up the street from me.Hine motors used to campaign cars all the time in the 69s and 70s.I still think they run 2 Hemi cars at Quaker.I could have bought a car just like that in the early 70s for 500 bucks.No motor but it was aluminum car.Turned it down because I didnt care for the body style.Wish I had bought it now.Rocky
Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/18/08 07:59 PM

Carlon Hine only has 1 car still out and running right now, sort of. It's currently getting a fresh motor. It's a mid-80's Charger chassis car.

The Big Bad Dodge could've been bought for $4600 in 1966 off the showroom floor at Frederick's.
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/18/08 08:34 PM

yep Jeff Melnik still runs the chargin - after it was burned up in a fire at Jeff's garage the name was dropped as it never had a Hemi in it. Carlon still has the Haulin Hemi that is black 68 Road Runner and of course the 65 plymouth the Honkin Hemi. The chargin had a twin off the same chassis jig - Berraducci's Hefti Hemi. After the fire the chargin was stretched and put back together. Jeff's car the Devils Duster was destroyed in the fire and the chassis later came back as a Dart owned by Big Joe Delsignor - I have pictures somewhere of all of them out at the swamp

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/18/08 09:05 PM

Jeff Jr told me they're gonna build a Hemi for it this winter. The old Duster is somewhere in WV now.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/18/08 09:14 PM

Posted By: B3422W5

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/18/08 09:46 PM

Quote:

Cool car, thanks for sharing LAR!

*As nice as that car looks it's screaming for the correct engine paint, coil, voltage regulator, plastic fuel filters, dip stick/tube/clip, and a few other minor details.

Depends on perspective ...i could care less about that stuff..to me its screaming "race me" instead of letting it sit in a showroom somewhere collecting dust.

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/18/08 10:20 PM

Quote:

Depends on perspective ...i could care less about that stuff..to me its screaming "race me" instead of letting it sit in a showroom somewhere collecting dust.

And what exactly makes my opinion any Than yours?

The reason I noticed these items is because it appears to be a nicely restored car....All except the final percentage that could have set it appart from other amateur attempts. It would be easy to fix those items, even easier to fix some of them by doing it right the first time, and it wouldn't have cost much if anything to do so in the first place. BTW, regardless of what it screams to you, I doubt you'll EVER see that car go down a drag strip again.

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/18/08 10:22 PM

It might not go down a track, but it won't sit. All the black trails in front of Don's garage aren't there for nothing.

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/18/08 10:36 PM

the A990 package was started in 1965.
not in 64.
Posted By: dave571

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/18/08 10:42 PM

Darn nice car

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/18/08 10:50 PM

Quote:

the A990 package was started in 1965.
not in 64.

Oh yea, and that too
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/18/08 11:03 PM

Not picking, but didn't the 64 cars have the black version of the dist cap

Regardless, I'd love to have it. I seen it up close at the reuniun
Posted By: KD800X

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/18/08 11:42 PM

Quote:

Here are some pictures of a real 64 A-990 Hemi Dodge.

Apparently it was (not complete) at the Hemi re-union. I remember this car when the owner got it about 10 years ago. It was totally a race car all it's life with a scary roll bar in it, hacked up tubs and hacked everywhere.

But when I saw it in a corner of the owners place (Huge Ford guy), I knew what it was. My buddy is a ford guy but is interested in all old cars. I bet him that I could lift that door (bare metal leaning against a wall) with one finger. He said, "no way". I did.

Alum doors, Alum fends, Alum door hinges.

Check this car out.

This was at the Hemi Reunion, after Bob Fredrick owned it the story goes that Benny Bertock found it in a barn with no glass and no motor. He bought the car for $900.00. He raced it at Quaker City for years under the Buckeye Brawler name. He quit racing it in the mid 80's after deciding that it was too valuable to have anything happen to it, he then ended up selling it a few years after that. I grew up in the same town as Bertock's and they had a barn full of Hemi cars. Dad bought his 65 Coronet off of them. I never knew who bought it until we were at the Reunion.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/18/08 11:43 PM

Quote:

BTW, regardless of what it screams to you, I doubt you'll EVER see that car go down a drag strip again.

That is the sad truth. It will be forever banished to a chalk mark controversy existence.

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/18/08 11:53 PM

Quote:

This was at the Hemi Reunion, after Bob Fredrick owned it the story goes that Benny Bertock found it in a barn with no glass and no motor. He bought the car for $900.00. He raced it at Quaker City for years under the Buckeye Brawler name. He quit racing it in the mid 80's after deciding that it was too valuable to have anything happen to it, he then ended up selling it a few years after that. I grew up in the same town as Bertock's and they had a barn full of Hemi cars. Dad bought his 65 Coronet off of them. I never knew who bought it until we were at the Reunion.

The car was raced as the Hustlin' Hemi by Bertok. I have a picture of when Snyder bought it somewhere at home. It was blue/silver with a red interior.

The Buckeye Brawler was a red/black '65 Plymouth hardtop.

Ben Bertok also bought Carlon Hine's original Chargin' Hemi. That car was destroyed in a freak accident at Quaker when Ben was staging the car, The guy behind him started doing a burnout and the car let go running into the Charger.

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/19/08 12:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The car was raced as the Hustlin' Hemi by Bertok. I have a picture of when Snyder bought it somewhere at home. It was blue/silver with a red interior.

Ben Bertok also bought Carlon Hine's original Chargin' Hemi. That car was destroyed in a freak accident at Quaker when Ben was staging the car, The guy behind him started doing a burnout and the car let go running into the Charger.

That's right, I had them confused... sorry.

Rochester Mi. What happen to New Castle?
Posted By: beepsalot

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/19/08 12:17 AM

the 64 alum pkg was just that, a pkg, available on both max cars as well as the hemi's, the difference being the scoop, but thats a neat car...marvin hughes had a 64 hardtop dodge a few years back(20?), it was neat to look at...turquoise w. ly blut interior, supposedly orig paint

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/19/08 12:27 AM

This was Marvins car, it's still around, Greg Nelson just traded it off to a new owner

1964 Dodge
Posted By: beepsalot

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/19/08 12:29 AM

the thing i liked about that car(i have a beef w/ marvin, but thats between me him and my uncle) is the marks on the headliner where the rollbar was....
Posted By: HemiGreg

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/19/08 12:36 AM

yup.
black cap,stel heads,brass breather elbow,terminal adaptor-etc,etc.
theres tons of tells
but i love anyway. scotts just jelous
anyone witness the orig alum car roll at norwalk?I was there and it was a real and correct car built to race and- it was raced stuff happens.
we were running freds sox and martin duster even more unreplaceable and doing what it was best an doing kicking butt mid 8s.
as we chat my R vin 8500 mile cuda is outside under leaves and gets pounded on regulary to keep the stangs and Z06s in therir place. i think its got a flat from last runs
trailer queens are good only for the scared and $$ guys whose nuts are not theirs to have fun with.
we play with the toys and share our nuts

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/19/08 12:43 AM

And yes, I'm jeleous....Who wouldn't want one of those?

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/19/08 01:01 AM

Quote:

This was Marvins car, it's still around, Greg Nelson just traded it off to a new owner

1964 Dodge

watching that video, makes me wonder how fast they could have gone with those 4.56 gears for any length of time, that engine must have been screaming!!!

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/19/08 03:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's right, I had them confused... sorry.

Rochester Mi. What happen to New Castle?

I'm slowly making Rochester home. I had been planning this for awhile now. All my cars are still at home though, So I'll be back in the summer.
Posted By: SSDA5006

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/19/08 04:38 PM

"chalk mark controversy existence"- TOO FUNNY(and how sad/true)!!!

Thanks for sharing the photos of Snyders 64 Dodge Hemi Car. A990 or A864-who really cares, most people know what you mean.

LOL,
Alex

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/19/08 05:41 PM

Special thanks to B Body Bob who had a copy of the pic I mentioned earlier saved!

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/19/08 05:57 PM

The timing of this post is interesting, I just looked at an original A864 Dodge on Monday, in Rochester Hills, MI, also a red car.

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/19/08 06:14 PM

No kidding. I'm technically in Rochester Hills, but my mailing address is Rochester. Is it in a collection?

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/19/08 06:34 PM

Yes, it's in a collection, a very private one so I can't elaborate.

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/19/08 06:54 PM

Man that pic of the Hustlin Hemi brings back some memories - I gues I would have left it the way it was. What ever happened to the carcass of original Chargin Hemi - I never did hear what happened to it

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/19/08 07:42 PM

Quote:

Man that pic of the Hustlin Hemi brings back some memories - I gues I would have left it the way it was. What ever happened to the carcass of original Chargin Hemi - I never did hear what happened to it

Very good question.

Bill Pakula told me a few years that Carlon had an old Charger race car at his shop and Ray Berarducci told me this past June about the accident but never said what happened to the shell.

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/19/08 07:49 PM

it would not surprise he still has it Carlon was not one to sell the race cars - because of all the "secrets" he used to grind the cam part numbers off the engines he built for people
Posted By: Bigbeep

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/19/08 08:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The Buckeye Brawler still is red and black and is sitting in my older brother's trailer. We had found out a couple of years ago a lot of the cars history from one of the past owners, Jack Aekin (spelling?) He actually painted the car red and named it the Buckeye Brawler in the winter of 75-6. The black was later added. The car before that was Bullet Bob Reed's Locomotion. Not an original hemi car, but it had been converted in the late 60's to a hemi 4 speed and held some kind of ahra record (I think that is the right sanctioning body).

My brother was told that the guy who wrecked into Ben's Chargin hemi actually bought the Buckeye Brawler and gave it to Ben. He was also told that he (Ben)didn't like the car and it didn't work as well as his old car and was never really pleased with it. Any one know how to get ahold of Ben Bertok? Maybe my brother or I could verify this. We have kind of enjoyed hearing all the tails of this car. Thanks, John

Attached picture 4697111-09-111(2).JPG
Posted By: sixpaktoogo

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/19/08 08:33 PM

Not to steal your thread, but I had a friend in Painesville, Ohio, named Ron Tarczy who passed away in 1992. A few years (maybe less) before he died, he sold his A990 65 Belvedere (minus motor). It was white and red, and had a funny car cage in it. Does anyone know where this car is today?

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/19/08 08:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The Buckeye Brawler still is red and black and is sitting in my older brother's trailer. We had found out a couple of years ago a lot of the cars history from one of the past owners, Jack Aekin (spelling?) He actually painted the car red and named it the Buckeye Brawler in the winter of 75-6. The black was later added. The car before that was Bullet Bob Reed's Locomotion. Not an original hemi car, but it had been converted in the late 60's to a hemi 4 speed and held some kind of ahra record (I think that is the right sanctioning body).

My brother was told that the guy who wrecked into Ben's Chargin hemi actually bought the Buckeye Brawler and gave it to Ben. He was also told that he (Ben)didn't like the car and it didn't work as well as his old car and was never really pleased with it. Any one know how to get ahold of Ben Bertok? Maybe my brother or I could verify this. We have kind of enjoyed hearing all the tails of this car. Thanks, John

Jack Eakin?

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/19/08 09:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, you are right... I remember Ben Sr. telling us that they guy who wrecked into Benny bought him the Brawler. And yes, I remember Benny saying that he didn't care for the car.
Posted By: Bigbeep

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/19/08 11:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Jack Eakin?

I didn't think I spelled it right. He lived in the Cleveland area and relocated to Florida. He run the car down there for a little while and then sold it to (I think) "Biggie" a tech inspector or something at Quaker City. Please don't quote me on this as didn't talk directly to him. My brother has talked to him and he actually sent him some pics of the car in mid to late 70's. John

Attached picture 4697512-09-111(2).JPG

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/20/08 02:57 AM

Jack raced for Carlon Hine years ago, late-60's/early-70's.

My Horizon used to be "Biggie" lettered. Here's a pic of it with the Brawler in the background.

Posted By: 68hemiss

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/20/08 03:29 AM

Guys,
Not trying to hijack the thread but I have a picture of Jack Eakin in a 1968 Hemi Dart called the Buckeye Brawler. I am researching the 1968 Hemi S/S cars and wondered if anyone knew anything about this one? Was this Benny's car or Jack's? Was it a factory car - any history?
Thanks,
Mark Janaky
1968 Hemi S/S Registry

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 09/20/08 05:21 AM

Post the pic!!!
Posted By: Frito

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/17/09 03:29 PM

Hemi Greg, If you are talking about the Red 64 that crashed & belonged to Terry Thurman, it was not an orginal factory car. It was built from a street car by Dave Mosley and sold to Larry Riffe. The aluminum fenders and hood came from a max wedge car I bought from Loren Zeedyke. The hood scoop was traded for here locally. The grill was made by Ben Mosley from two we obtained from the local junk yard. Terry knew the history of the car. Still, it was a very nice piece. To bad the way it ended.

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/17/09 04:19 PM

anyone got pictures of dorothy davis' wild wild west 64 dodge hemi car.
she sure could drive.
Posted By: RAT PATROL

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/17/09 07:47 PM

I only have this one. Maybe I can coax Mom into taking a couple passes in my car this year. Not worried about if she might go faster, that's a given. I couldn't equal her achievements in two lifetimes, but I'm not done trying either.

Attached picture 4954345-DCMatchrace.jpg

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/17/09 08:40 PM

Quote:

I only have this one. Maybe I can coax Mom into taking a couple passes in my car this year. Not worried about if she might go faster, that's a given. I couldn't equal her achievements in two lifetimes, but I'm not done trying either.

she is a class act. one of my favorites. say hi to her for me.put up a few pictures of her racing. she was one of the best!!!
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/17/09 09:51 PM

Quote:

she sure could drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WICf2lloj0&feature=related

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/18/09 12:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

she sure could drive.

thanks jeff for the video. anyone got one with her next to her car or racing it as a picture?
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/18/09 08:55 AM

Quote:

1964 Dodge

Thats an awesome video......something about it.......doesnt get much greasier than that....

that car sounds like it will rip your face clean off.

Posted By: fury64

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/19/09 03:48 AM

My dad remembers Carolin Hines cars from the 60s and 70s. We were there when the Chargin Hemi Got rearended at Quaker City, and the Haulin Hemi Road Runner before it got parked. But he can also remember 2 Honkin Hemi cars painted the same, the color and the lettering were the same. 65 Plymouth and a 65 Dodge, he remembers the Dodge because of the headlight delete. Anybody recall.
Posted By: prochargedhemi

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/19/09 03:55 AM

Quote:

the 64 alum pkg was just that, a pkg, available on both max cars as well as the hemi's, the difference being the scoop

I would highly contest your statement about the scoop being different. my father owns a 64 lightweight HEMI car and it wears a maxie scoop and battery mounting. Pilot car? Find someone that REALLY knows 64 cars and i will divulge more info until then all you guys have is speculation

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/19/09 04:11 AM

Quote:

My dad remembers Carolin Hines cars from the 60s and 70s. We were there when the Chargin Hemi Got rearended at Quaker City, and the Haulin Hemi Road Runner before it got parked. But he can also remember 2 Honkin Hemi cars painted the same, the color and the lettering were the same. 65 Plymouth and a 65 Dodge, he remembers the Dodge because of the headlight delete. Anybody recall.

I have a pic of the Dodge, i think it may have started or later turned into Bill Quinn's car. I've been trying to find someone who might know about the Dodge for awhile now. Very obscure, little known car.

The Haulin' Hemi was parked because of body twist. Bill Pakula drove the Chargin' Hemi (after Bill Quinn), then the Haulin' Hemi, and finally the Honkin' Hemi.

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/19/09 02:07 PM

Hemi had a different hood scoop as well as single headlights in the grill, wedge had two headlights. Hemis had alum. doors, wedge did not.
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/19/09 03:55 PM

The Hemi scoop was definitely different than the "double hump" maxie one.
Posted By: 1OFNONE

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/19/09 11:24 PM

Early '64 hemi cars used the Maxi scoops. They had not designed the '64 A990 scoop yet. Guaranteed.
Posted By: ww63

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/19/09 11:47 PM

When did they start putting the hemi scoop on the 64 hemi cars? date-time frame? any pics of a factory 64 hemi with wedge scoop?

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/20/09 03:11 AM

I have watched these cars for years as well as owning. I have never seen a "factory" hemi with the single headlight grill AND a double hump wedge type scoop. The are also some interior things that are different. Fred, glad to see you are watching this. I would think you would know. Maybe we need to confir with Jim Schild.

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/20/09 06:23 AM

Quote:

I have watched these cars for years as well as owning. I have never seen a "factory" hemi with the single headlight grill AND a double hump wedge type scoop. The are also some interior things that are different. Fred, glad to see you are watching this. I would think you would know. Maybe we need to confir with Jim Schild.

need to do some more research. i have a copy of an article galen did a few years back explaining this. ask reid if you like as that is exactly what his car is aswell

you first "FACTORY" HEMI car with a max wedge scoop

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/20/09 06:25 AM

Quote:

Early '64 hemi cars used the Maxi scoops. They had not designed the '64 A990 scoop yet. Guaranteed.

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/20/09 12:16 PM

OK! You have changed my thoughts. Did these cars have a back seat,front buckets or bench?? Can you get me a copy of Gaylen's article? Not to dispute but I want to learn as much about these cars as I can, Thanks.
Posted By: moparphillie

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/20/09 07:55 PM

Jim Schild, in my humble opinion, would be the best person to contact with any 1964 Hemi car questions. Jim has devoted most of his life to the early "B" body Hemi cars. He is a great guy also and he is never too busy to answer or research your questions.

Good luck...

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/20/09 08:50 PM

You are right. I have talked to Jim personally several times. He too loves this stuff. I had a 64 max wedge ( former Flack & Comstock "Plum Crazy" ) that for some reason that I don't remember, (70s), I made a single headlight grill and installed. I found a photo the other day. It passed tech nobody ever said anything. I guess I was a hemi wanna be. That's why I am leary of photos. But strange things did happen when these cars were released.
Posted By: wkroncke17

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/20/09 10:40 PM

My dad started working Dodge dealership in '61. He ordered and raced 2 '63 Max Wedge cars (they were delivered to his dealership. He became very good friends with Ronnie Householder (he was the head of all of Dodge racing) and was able to order a '64 Hemi/auto. alum. front end package car, and had to pick it up at their "special" location near the factory. I asked him numerous questions about it all the time, and to this day that is my very favorite Dodge of all time.
He told me there was 32 Alum/Hemi Dodges built in '64. (thats what he knew of) His had one headlight/side and the Hemi (flat) hood scoop. I'm sure it could be discussed all year long about what all these cars came with, because sometimes they would throw on whatever was laying around the race department just to get the car out the door!! My dad recalls Chargers with Plymouth hubcaps,horn buttons - all kinds of goofy stuff in the dealership, so one can only imagine how the race stuff came out!
I have a couple pics of the car, but dont know how to post them. Could someone e-mail me so I can send them pics to post?
Thanks guys!!
Keep on talking about these cars, as I love to see and hear about them!!
Wally.
Posted By: rocketresto

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/20/09 11:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

she sure could drive.

That is cool footage, I wish there were more vintage movies like that being posted. By the way the blue and white 63 wagon she races at the end is called WAR AXE and was Ron Mandella's old max wedge car that won the 64 summer nationals in A/Stock.

Attached picture 4961405-hw7.jpg

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/21/09 12:22 AM

another big thing that is looked over or forgotten very often is that not ALL 64 HEMI cars had aluminum noses or doors. that video of marvins car, if i remember correctly was an all steel car (except maybe the scoop)
Posted By: SSDA5006

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/21/09 01:43 AM

Don't know how prochargeds photo from the 70's proves anything(show me that car new in the 60's-very cool car by the way). But here's a neat photo found somewhere on the net. Maybe we can have Jim Schild and Galen verify what motor is in this car.

Attached picture 4961893-doorcar003.jpg

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/21/09 01:51 AM

Quote:

Don't know how prochargeds photo from the 70's proves anything(show me that car new in the 60's-very cool car by the way). But here's a neat photo found somewhere on the net. Maybe we can have Jim Schild and Galen verify what motor is in this car.

very cool pic. i believe that may be the 2% car mike guffy now owns? if in fact it is my fathers car was built the same day as mikes dodge was
Posted By: wkroncke17

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/21/09 03:38 AM

Quote:

another big thing that is looked over or forgotten very often is that not ALL 64 HEMI cars had aluminum noses or doors. that video of marvins car, if i remember correctly was an all steel car (except maybe the scoop)

Yes his car is all steel. I believe its the only one known?? My father always questioned that car being real.
Posted By: TheBlackCar

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/21/09 04:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, you are right... I remember Ben Sr. telling us that they guy who wrecked into Benny bought him the Brawler. And yes, I remember Benny saying that he didn't care for the car.

Your story is correct. The charger was hit on the starting line at Quaker in the early 80's. I know the story well, it was a friend of mine that owned the car that hit him. He bought that Brawler car and gave to the guy and bought the charger from the guy. Then he and my dad spliced the charger back together and sold it. Last time I saw it, it had a shiney new coat of black lacquer and if I recall, a sb in it, sittin in our drive. Oh, and the part of the story that nobody mentioned.....the car that hit the charger was originally Dave Koffel's 65 AWB. Afterwards, it sat under a tarp in his back yard for some years until he scrap-ed it!
Posted By: TheBlackCar

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/21/09 04:16 AM

Quote:

Not to steal your thread, but I had a friend in Painesville, Ohio, named Ron Tarczy who passed away in 1992. A few years (maybe less) before he died, he sold his A990 65 Belvedere (minus motor). It was white and red, and had a funny car cage in it. Does anyone know where this car is today?

The car your asking about was not Dick Halls 65, was it?
If anyone knew this Tarczy fellow, I have a couple questions about another car he may have owned. Thanks, sorry if I'm off topic....
Posted By: Troublemaker427

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/21/09 01:29 PM

Quote:

That is the car Mr. Guffey owns. The four '64 AFX Mopars (some call them 2%) all were originally shipped with Max Wedge engines. The Hemi's were sent later. The Hemi's all went to the NASCAR guys early on. When there was enough engines for them the drag racers got theirs. My guess is this is a very early photo and the hoodscoop had not been changed to the Hemi scoop. I've seen this car with both scoops. The four AFX cars were 1.Strickler 2.Ramchargers 3.Golden Commandos 4. Melrose Missle Three of the four survive and Mr.Guffey has two of them.
Posted By: ww63

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/21/09 02:36 PM

I think you know what motor is in that car as I believe you have spent a lot of your life with someone that I think is the most knowlegeable guy in the country on these car.
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/21/09 04:10 PM

So if the 2% cars were shipped as Max Wedge cars did they have the aluminum doors like the A864 cars or just the aluminum front end like a Max Wedge?
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/21/09 04:24 PM

Who's to say what the solid facts are.Having work for Chrysler(dealers) and raced Dodge and Plymouth race cars since 1963 I can only atest to the hodgepodge and mismatch of conglomerations of packages that were assembled and shipped and the same slipshod policys of what dealers did in supplying race related packages,that the only conclusions that can be made is "yes anything was possiable"Especially in the fast growing popularity of racing in those early years.To place any statement as absolute would be incorrect.

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/21/09 04:35 PM

Quote:

So if the 2% cars were shipped as Max Wedge cars did they have the aluminum doors like the A864 cars or just the aluminum front end like a Max Wedge?

The AFX or 2% cars had aluminum doors along with the front ends. Bill Stiles has told me the Strickler car was raced with the max wedge very early on before being swapped over to Hemi. The way you can tell the aluminum doors on the AFX cars was no wing vent windows. The aluminum doors ended up on the Strickler SS Hemi car when the AFX car was sold to George Whalen. The car became the Rebel with steel doors....

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/21/09 04:57 PM

The picture of the 64 Ramcharger Dodge clearly has the 2% wheelbase modifications but it has a wing glass, A864 grille mods and a Max Wedge scoop. I am not trying to stir the pot here. Just trying to provoke a discussion that will possibly shed some light on the evolution of these cars.

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/21/09 05:09 PM

Who knows about the Ramchargers car?? I know about the Strickler car because I know those involved. Maybe the aluminum doors weren't available yet or the rules at this race required steel doors??? Mike Guffey would know. He posts over at the HAMB if you want to contact him. I'm sure all four teams who got these cars could and would get the latest and best parts available. I also know the current owner of the Melrose Missle 2% car. He assures me this car was also originally a max wedge car.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/21/09 05:16 PM

Quote:

The picture of the 64 Ramcharger Dodge clearly has the 2% wheelbase modifications but it has a wing glass, A864 grille mods and a Max Wedge scoop. I am not trying to stir the pot here. Just trying to provoke a discussion that will possibly shed some light on the evolution of these cars.

I will get interesting,especially when it its noticed that many 63s had 64 front clips and many 64s had 65 front clips.And the "beat goes on" I recently found an old article on my 64/65 AFX(Soul Shaker/Godfather)That was so full of BS.Fact be told Bob Morrision and myself(First owners and builders)can't seperate fact from fiction.
Posted By: rocketresto

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/21/09 06:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

So if the 2% cars were shipped aMax Wedge cars did they have the aluminum doors like the A864 cars or just the aluminum front end like a Max Wedge?

The AFX or 2% cars had aluminum doors along with the front ends. Bill Stiles has told me the Strickler car was raced s with the max wedge very early on before being swapped over to Hemi. The way you can tell the aluminum doors on the AFX cars was no wing vent windows. The aluminum doors ended up on the Strickler SS Hemi car when the AFX car was sold to George Whalen. The car became the Rebel with steel doors....

I am doing the resto on a A864, the "NICE GUYS" car. It has the original paint aluminum doors with stock glass vent windows, plexi roll-up windows, regulators and brackets made from thinner gauge steel and the normally cast window mounting channel is stamped from light gauge aluminum. This car wes a great reference source as it was never tubbed or caged, it was original paint from the doors back and has been in storage with one family since 1969.
Mike

Attached picture 4963239-the_nice_guys.jpg

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/21/09 06:06 PM

Just going from the picture, looks like a 64 GTO parked at the fence so we know it was not early in model year. One of the fellows has a jacket on but several don't and its in Detroit. So what month would you guess April or May 1964? The car was running in the A/FX class as it is marked on the window, so I would think anything goes. It is the Ramcharger car so being they are Factory connected. You would think they would have the best parts available. Anyone else see anything that helps?

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/21/09 06:54 PM

Mike looks like a great car to restore. Do you have any detail pictures?

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/21/09 06:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So if the 2% cars were shipped aMax Wedge cars did they have the aluminum doors like the A864 cars or just the aluminum front end like a Max Wedge?

The AFX or 2% cars had aluminum doors along with the front ends. Bill Stiles has told me the Strickler car was raced s with the max wedge very early on before being swapped over to Hemi. The way you can tell the aluminum doors on the AFX cars was no wing vent windows. The aluminum doors ended up on the Strickler SS Hemi car when the AFX car was sold to George Whalen. The car became the Rebel with steel doors....

I am doing the resto on a A864, the "NICE GUYS" car. It has the original paint aluminum doors with stock glass vent windows, plexi roll-up windows, regulators and brackets made from thinner gauge steel and the normally cast window mounting channel is stamped from light gauge aluminum. This car wes a great reference source as it was never tubbed or caged, it was original paint from the doors back and has been in storage with one family since 1969.
Mike

Well I guess that throws out my theory that the no wing windows indicated aluminum door... Like I've said before I know the aluminum doors on the Strickler car didn't have the vent windows. I have photos on another computer that show that. I'm still certain that the 4 2% cars started life as Max Wedges.

Great car Mike!! That had to be a dream find!! How far along are you with the restoration? Your car does show the aluminum door cars didn't get the same wing window assembly as a steel door.
Posted By: Mac's Hemi 64

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/21/09 07:34 PM

According to Darrell Davis Book: 55 330 Hemi Chargers Built all with aluminum package, 35 440 Hemi chargers built In 1964. Like BG said alot of swapping of frontends, doors etc probably going on.

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/21/09 07:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That is the car Mr. Guffey owns. The four '64 AFX Mopars (some call them 2%) all were originally shipped with Max Wedge engines. The Hemi's were sent later. The Hemi's all went to the NASCAR guys early on. When there was enough engines for them the drag racers got theirs. My guess is this is a very early photo and the hoodscoop had not been changed to the Hemi scoop. I've seen this car with both scoops. The four AFX cars were 1.Strickler 2.Ramchargers 3.Golden Commandos 4. Melrose Missle Three of the four survive and Mr.Guffey has two of them.

all i can really say is this car was built the same day as these 4 2% cars everyone speaks of.(they were all built on the same day)It IS an original HEMI car. If what you are saying about all these cars coming with max wedges i would love to know who did the shock tower conversions?

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/21/09 07:52 PM

I have too seen the picture of the Strickler car with no wing windows. So was that a racer or factory modification? This also means the 2% cars could have had aluminium doors along with a A864 single headlight grill. I think it is probable as the A864 cars were nearing production and the parts were probably available. The 2% cars were the last evolution of the Max Wedge cars most likely.
My next question is, were the the A864 Hemi cars faster right out of the box than the Max Wedge cars? I would not have thought so with the Max Wedge cars having over two years of development on the track. I would figure the teams would have used what ever they could off of the new programs on the old platform till the new package would out perform the tried and true.

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/21/09 08:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

all i can really say is this car was built the same day as these 4 2% cars everyone speaks of.(they were all built on the same day)It IS an original HEMI car. If what you are saying about all these cars coming with max wedges i would love to know who did the shock tower conversions?

If your Dad is saying his car and the 2% cars and his have the same sceduled production date on the fender tag, that really has nothing to do with the actual production date of the car. They could have been built weeks even a months apart.
Posted By: j oliverio

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/21/09 08:35 PM

The 64 SS car is owned by Frank Lupo and I beleive it has wing glass.

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/21/09 09:09 PM

I'm sure Mr.Luppo or a prior owner switched it back to steel doors to make it class legal.

Strickler & Stiles went to Beeline AZ. for the AHRA winter nats in '65 with the '64 SS hemi car. The '65 AWB car wasn't done yet and they had sold the '64 AFX car to Whalen. They had put the aluminum doors on the SS car by then. Dave ran SS with the car there and I believe he won. The next week they went to Pomona for the NHRA Winter Nats with the same car. NHRA caught the aluminum doors and made them run modified production. They won there too. The car had Dave Strickler Racing Enterprises on the side not Dodge Boys. Jenkins wasn't part of the team any longer. This was told to me by Bill Stiles.

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/21/09 09:19 PM

Here is the Strickler SS car with AFX doors.

Attached picture 4963626-IMAG001.jpg

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/21/09 09:22 PM

Here is the '64 AFX car.

Attached picture 4963630-316212540OVzwJo_ph.jpg

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/21/09 09:23 PM

Here they both are with Jiggs....

Attached picture 4963637-da%20grump64.jpg

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/21/09 09:26 PM

Here is the AFX car post-Strickler.

Attached picture 4963651-exstrick.jpg

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/22/09 01:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If your Dad is saying his car and the 2% cars and his have the same sceduled production date on the fender tag, that really has nothing to do with the actual production date of the car. They could have been built weeks even a months apart.

first off my dad isn't saying anything, I AM. We know exactly what this car is (as do others that know the car) if you think it is just coincidence that these cars were all built the same day with the same codes you my friend are in a perfect world. IBM punch cards don't lie. as said earlier all you guys have is speculation

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/22/09 04:56 AM

Prochargedhemi
If you knew me you would know that my code is never say never with Chrysler. You are also correct in that I do not know everything about the 62-64 Max Wedge cars or the 64 A864 cars that came after them. But I try to keep an open mind and my ears and eyes open. I don't believe I ever doubted the authenticity of your Dads car or any other. But fact is that sometime in the latter part of the 1964 model year they ceased to build Max Wedge cars and began to build Hemi cars at that point it is probable there were both on the line and built the same day. Yes this is speculation as I was not working for Chrysler at that time as I was 9 years old. But the knowledge that I did try to convey to you is fact, like it or not. All the A12 cars have SPD of 329 or 426, if you think they were all built on those dates possibly you are living in the perfect world.

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/22/09 05:27 AM

I guess what i said came out wrong. I am not speaking about authenticity (sp) of my fathers car. I am moreless saying that there is no certain parts/pieces a HEMI car would have came from the factory with. seems every car was a little different ie: wearing max wedge parts or strickly hemi parts

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/22/09 06:29 AM

That is why I am asking questions as there are some on here that were involved with these cars new and the longer we wait the less people there will be to give first hand information. There has never been a place where so many people that were interesed, owned and raced the early Max Wedge and Hemi cars could exchange their knowledge and experience. If this thread will run long enough and people that know people that were involved with the cars will post or pick the brain of friends that did, and post I believe we will see that there is much to be learned about these cars.

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/22/09 07:24 AM

Agreed 100%

There is definately a story behind my fathers car (at the factory) i would just like to try and find some info as to HOW or WHY the car got released to the public
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/22/09 02:36 PM

For what ever it's worth, as I have studied the 2% cars for a long time, They were super secret experimentals that were to lead to the AFX AWB campaign.
I suspect that Chrysler was looking at how these cars would perform and handle with a much lighter rolling weight than the common Maxies and steel/aluminum Hemis already out on the field.

The 11 or so all out Fiberglass AFX'rs of the following 65' would then prove that they were just too crazy of a concept, hence the wild wheel stands that Chrysler opposed of.

With this, the 4 special cars came with aside of their slightly altered bases, aluminum doors with no vent wings, aluminum door hinges, aluminum window regulators, full aluminum dashes, aluminum rad supports, aluminum fenders, aluminum hood with Hemi scoop, aluminum master brake cylinders, and rumored to be, under dash aluminum brake brackets and so forth.
Like said here before, these cars were probably in a manic state of switching games between the teams and or various classes. People were cheating like crazy back then and I wouldn't put it past a team to hoax another (even their own make)with part switching schemes to break the suspicions.
Maybe some witching hour favors with super secret stampings of other parts that would not be part of the original parts list?

LOL. I would like to see the electrical utility bills of Chrysler's stamping facility back when, to see if any of the super draining presses and stamp machines were all of a sudden working late at night. Busted!
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/24/09 02:41 AM

Attached picture 4968955-scan0001.jpg
Posted By: SCATPK

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/24/09 05:04 AM

Here is a picture of the wild exhaust on these early hemi powered cars.

Attached picture 4969312-DSC00409(Large).JPG

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/24/09 05:05 AM

another

Attached picture 4969314-DSC00414(Large).JPG

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/24/09 05:07 AM

last one

Attached picture 4969319-DSC00420(Large).JPG
Posted By: QuickSilver

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 01/24/09 12:04 PM

SWEET! Love the EE1 paint! I can't wait till my Dodge is done!!! Do you have any topside pics to show off?
Posted By: 69hurstsc

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 12/19/13 07:12 PM

Quote:

With this, the 4 special cars came with aside of their slightly altered bases, aluminum doors with no vent wings, aluminum door hinges, aluminum window regulators, full aluminum dashes, aluminum rad supports, aluminum fenders, aluminum hood with Hemi scoop , aluminum master brake cylinders, and rumored to be, under dash aluminum brake brackets and so forth.

Isn't the Missile car documented as having the MW scoop?
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 12/20/13 02:51 AM

Attached picture 7964588-IMG_1163.JPG
Posted By: Triggerfish

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 12/20/13 05:10 AM

Here's a great vintage race video with awesome footage of Maxies &
Hemi lightweights. About 1:46 into the video, shows a fantastic
in car video of Grumpy rowin the gears in the Stricker/Jenikins
Mopar. Looks to have a hemi hood scoop, too. Shows Landy's AFX, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydvcA_O-TNg
Posted By: Goat330

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 12/20/13 07:23 AM

The 65 that Ron Tarczy sold was the old Dick Hall car.I bought a 63 Polara off of him in 87 and he was fooling with the car then. Him and his buddies really didn't seem as though they knew much about a car like that 65 and believe it was advertised in Nat'l Dragster sometime after that. The Carlon Hine car that got destroyed at Quaker City was by a guy with the initials T. M..
Posted By: THE GLASS MAN

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 12/20/13 03:43 PM

In 1964 or 65 I witnessed a red 64 Dodge Hemi car called "The Hemi Charger" at Hyde Park Raceway, go end over end at the finish line. The driver, Larry Karshner died that night from injuries. It was an aluminum nosed and aluminum doored car, and from what I had heard, his 2 brothers put that car back together with steel parts and sold it in the 90's. Does anyone know of the car today?
Posted By: DMCMopar

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 12/20/13 08:31 PM

Larry I remember that car very well as I use to frequent Hyde Park with my oldest brother back then until 1967 when I was old enough to drive,I had heard back in the 80s or even late 70s that the Hrudka Brothers had bought the car and had put it back to original condition, but this was information I got from another person.

Re: 64 Hemi A990 (REAL) car pictures - 12/21/13 08:32 PM

I have early photos of the Strickler 2% '64 car with a MW scoop also. As I stated years ago these cars started as MW cars and were later converted to Hemi's. I'm 99.9% sure that one photo I have of the Strickler 2% car with the MW scoop it has a Hemi in it and they have not swapped the hoodscoop to the Hemi version yet.
© 2024 Moparts Forums