Moparts

Electric vacuum pump?

Posted By: Eric

Electric vacuum pump? - 04/22/11 02:49 AM

So I have a slight oil leak issue...and I think the bungs on my headers aren't pulling enough vacuum out of the mill. I just stopped at Wafflebatter's house last weekend up in NY and he had put a electric pump off a S10 on his new 421 SBC...he pulled the cap off the other valve cover and my hand was darn near glued to the hole. I was thinking this would be a "frugle" way to maybe keep the oil leaks down...any input??
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/22/11 02:55 AM

I used to use the one off Corvettes.. They work good enough, but use quite a bit of battery power. Lots of amps..

I think they pull 8" of vacuum.

Chris..

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/22/11 03:14 AM

Thanks Chris...I figured I would run it while I was going down the track and for a few minutes after the pass...I do run an alternator..watcha think?

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/22/11 03:15 AM

With an alternator it's all good..

Chris..
Posted By: topside

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/22/11 03:17 AM

I've been using a GM one, IIRC off a Firebird/Camaro; pulls 5" even though we took no special pains to seal up the crankcase as far as the front crank seal. It hasn't been a problem as far as amp draw, but I run an alternator. I ran a relay for it. It definitely helped the low-tension ring seal on my 368" SB. The whole thing including the catch tank might weigh a few lbs.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/22/11 03:21 AM

how about a part number and is this a dealer item or can I get one thru a parts house.

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/22/11 03:42 AM

Just get one @ a wrecking yard.

1995 up If I remember. I used to have the part number, but not any more.

It is an air pump from Firebirds, Cameros, and Corvettes..

Chris..

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/22/11 04:15 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-RACIN...=item1e62fcf5f7

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/22/11 04:19 AM

That's the one..

Chris..

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/22/11 04:33 AM

You guys think it might help with the leaks?
Posted By: topside

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/22/11 04:44 AM

Mine didn't leak with the old pan evac setup, but they didn't pull much vacuum. Used to smoke a bit from oil getting past the low-tension rings, but the pump fixed that.

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/22/11 05:28 AM

Quote:

You guys think it might help with the leaks?

Yes.

Chris..
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/22/11 12:30 PM

Eric...A few years ago when I worked on rebuilding ambulances,we used to replace the vacuum pump in the patient compartment. They would toss em to the garbage. They were 12 volt and probably were around 6-8 pounds and ran off of 12 volts. I don't know how many amps they pulled. Always thought about trying one of those..Also,there wasn't any disgusting stuff in them..
Posted By: PolyDart

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/22/11 03:57 PM

Are these used along with a header evac system, or as a stand alone unit??

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/22/11 09:46 PM

Stand alone..
Posted By: dragnduster

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/22/11 10:17 PM

Been running one for alot of years, it didn't help the performance of the engine any but it sure took care of the nagging leaks I had at the rear main seal and the valve covers. One side note, I run methanol and the pump really helped to avoid milking the oil if I run the pump while I am warming up the motor.
Posted By: Lee

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/22/11 11:06 PM

Can somebody post a picture or a part number?

Lee
Posted By: HR5058

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/22/11 11:47 PM

I posted the same question on my radiator cap question. I want to run the electric vacuum pump that is listed above. I seem to have some leakage running the .043 top and second ring and 3.0m oil ring and the header evac just is not enough. Question is do I run it all the time or only at WOT? My alternator only charges at 4500 rpm and above. If I run it all them time will it kill my batteries? Should I run a relief valve so I dont have oiling issues and do I only hook it up to one valve cover or both? Thanks Chuck

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/22/11 11:50 PM

Turn it on as soon as you go into the box.

Turn it off after the run..

Chris..

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/22/11 11:54 PM

I can do that, I think . What about the relief valve and one or both valve covers? Also, what tank do you use? Thanks Chuck

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/23/11 12:12 AM

Quote:

Lee

AC Delco 215-425
Posted By: moparacer

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/23/11 01:19 AM

Quote:

Been running one for alot of years, it didn't help the performance of the engine any but it sure took care of the nagging leaks I had at the rear main seal and the valve covers. One side note, I run methanol and the pump really helped to avoid milking the oil if I run the pump while I am warming up the motor.

Yep I ran one on my dragster with injection and I since I just put the injection on the Dart, I decide to put the pump on it too.

You can wire it up with a relay to come on with the ignition switch, Or just toggle switch it on and off.

With Alky I like it coming on with the switch so you don't forget it.

Gas it wouldn't be as big of a deal.

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/23/11 02:14 AM

One last question and I will stop. Star Machine's tank allows for the pump to go second from the tank to eliminate the chance of issue with oil junk up and pieces getting into the pump. Will the electric pump work for this or will it reduce the vacuum? thanks chuck

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/23/11 02:26 AM

Mount the AC Delco unit with the rubber boot up and take the filter out and you should be fine..
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/23/11 02:34 AM

Eric

I would expect you to be rigging up a shop vac in the passenger seat and your little generator in the trunk - your going all high-tech now.....

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/23/11 03:08 AM

Quote:

Eric

I would expect you to be rigging up a shop vac in the passenger seat and your little generator in the trunk - your going all high-tech now.....

hey...I have an inverter

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/23/11 06:05 AM

Quote:

I can do that, I think . What about the relief valve and one or both valve covers? Also, what tank do you use? Thanks Chuck

It doesn't pull enough vacuum for a relief valve. I never used one.
I didn't even use a puke tank.

I had this breather in Valve Cover. Moroso # 68788

Chris..

Attached picture 6598422-68788_partbreather.jpg

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/23/11 06:29 AM

Chris, I am confused. Out one side valve cover and in the other side valve cover? Thanks Chuck
Posted By: Steve Reynolds

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/23/11 02:19 PM

I am very interested in this system, having to fight misc oil seepages. Could someone post some pictures & more detail on their cars with the vac pump from AC/Delco & how they are using it?
Thanks Steve

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/23/11 03:59 PM

Here is how I do it on alky.

I am concerned about moisture so I come out of each valve cover at the front, go into a breather tank that catches the moisture so I can drain it, then come out of it to the vacuum pump.

I don't think its a good idea to suck any oil and water through these pumps so that's why I put a catch can between the engine and pump.

Will post a pic of my setup after while.

Finishing it up right now.
Posted By: Keith Black®

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/23/11 11:41 PM

..would this be good on a street car..?

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/24/11 02:29 AM

Ok here is how I rigged it up with my alky injection I just put on this past week.

First pic shows out of the front of the valve covers and don't forget to make sure they are baffled or it will suck oil when the engine is running.

Second pic is the breather setup I use to catch the moisture from the alky. I mounted the pump under the fender up front to save on space under the hood. The breather tube runs down through the hole where the battery tray was originally. As you can see the clear tubing is completely fogged up with moisture and water droplets with it running so its definatley pulling it out. Better off there then in the pan!

Last pic is the pump under the fender.

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/24/11 03:30 AM

Got it. So the red hose goes to ????. Thanks Chucdk

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/24/11 03:32 AM

Also what breather tank is that? Thanks Chuck

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/24/11 03:58 AM

That red hose is the air outlet for the pump.

I just run it down along the frame to the lower control arm area.

If you are on gas or using it on the street it might not be a big deal where you run it to but I was concerned if it blew some moisture out on alky, where I ran it.

That tank is a moroso breather tank that I chopped up and modified into a catch can.

If you run on gas and had your valve covers baffled good you and didn't suck any oil into the pump you could go from the valve covers through the pump and put a breather tank on the outlet of the pump.

Moroso 85470 would work for that.
Posted By: Steve Reynolds

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/24/11 01:19 PM

Thanks for the pictures & descriptions, they clear up all confusion. Our car runs on 111 race fuel so I hope not to see very much if any moisture, I'm just tired of the continous oil seepage. Thanks again Steve

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/24/11 04:33 PM

It should fix that.

Had a friend who had a 8 second Beretta and it had some oil seeps. He put on on it and it fixed it right up.

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 04/24/11 08:32 PM

Quote:

It should fix that.

Had a friend who had a 8 second Beretta and it had some oil seeps. He put on on it and it fixed it right up.

Thats what I want to hear

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 05/01/11 10:43 PM

I had an annoying pan gasket leak that would leak oil on the trailer floor between races. I had the header evac's on it the last 2 years.

Ran the car with the electric pump on yesterday and checked this morning and the floor is dry as a bone!

Also, I came back from a pass yesterday and noticed that the dipstick was blown out, and oil had leaked from the valve cover gasket on the pass side.

A further investigation found that the fuse holder that powers the vac pump lost contact and it wasn't running on that pass so yea, these things do make a difference!

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 05/02/11 03:13 AM

Nice!!!!
Posted By: mopacltd

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 05/02/11 04:22 PM

Anyone come up with the part number yet?

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 05/02/11 04:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Lee

AC Delco 215-425

Posted By: ProSport

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 05/02/11 11:57 PM

I definitely want to put one of these on my car, I had no problems with the header evacs on my old 451 but for some reason this Indy headed 500" motor blows oil out of every part of the engine after a hard pass.

Would this electric pump run full time on a street car or should I put a micro switch on the carb so it only gets power at full throttle?

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 05/03/11 12:03 AM

Quote:

Would this electric pump run full time on a street car or should I put a micro switch on the carb so it only gets power at full throttle?

I would run it all the time. You guys with street cars keep in mind this thing is pretty noisy.

A lot louder then the fan on my car.

I am fooling with a wideband tonight I will shoot a video of it and post it after while.

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 05/03/11 01:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I would run it all the time. You guys with street cars keep in mind this thing is pretty noisy.

A lot louder then the fan on my car.

I am fooling with a wideband tonight I will shoot a video of it and post it after while.

I used one for several years. The only problem was that it uses quite a bit of power, so if you don't have an alternator, it will drain your battery quicker.

Keep in mind, these were designed to run all the time on factory cars, so don't worry about running it full time.. With an alternator..

Chris..

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 05/03/11 02:00 AM

Quote:

Anyone come up with the part number yet?

Chuck-O

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-RACIN...=item1e62fcf5f7

Chris..

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 05/03/11 03:18 AM

Vac pump

Basically a shop vac hooked up to your engine lol.

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 05/03/11 04:05 AM

Thanks for the help, guys. Chris, when we going to see the Cuda?

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 05/03/11 07:46 AM

I'm supposed to pick it up Memorial Weekend..

Will bring it out to test after that, going to try another converter.

It has a different scoop.. etc.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...part=1&vc=1

Chris..
Posted By: 69Mcode440

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 05/06/11 12:46 AM

What a great idea! I got mine today. My barracuda has those same annoying oil leaks.

What about the connector for the electrical hookup? Is it a standard GM part available at any auto parts store? Or just clip it and wire to the relay?

Thanks.

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 05/06/11 11:57 AM

There is a GM part number for the connector. I got mine years ago at a dealer.

Don't have the number anymore..

Chris..

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 05/06/11 05:57 PM

I called a friend at the dealership and it's in stock and the price is something I can afford. Looks like the Colt just may be closer to being done than I thought.
Posted By: Dartwizer

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 05/07/11 12:39 PM

Quote:

I called a friend at the dealership and it's in stock and the price is something I can afford. Looks like the Colt just may be closer to being done than I thought.

Do you Have a Part # on the connector?I want to do the same on mine also,,,,Thanks, Jimmy
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 05/07/11 02:35 PM

Guys they do not run all of the time on OEM cars!! Best way to use it is with a MSD window switch for a no hassle way.

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 05/07/11 10:22 PM

Quote:

Guys they do not run all of the time on OEM cars!! Best way to use it is with a MSD window switch for a no hassle way.

under what conditions do they operate Bob?

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 05/08/11 03:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Do you Have a Part # on the connector?I want to do the same on mine also,,,,Thanks, Jimmy

Posted By: ProSport

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 05/08/11 03:32 AM

Quote:

Vac pump

Basically a shop vac hooked up to your engine lol.

Thanks for the video, you can definitely hear it working.
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 05/08/11 01:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

under what conditions do they operate Bob?

The pump is commanded to turn on at start up to help lower the emmisions and get the cat converter working sooner. As soon as the engine is deemed *clean* by the ecm it shuts off.

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 05/11/11 02:43 PM

Correction on connector part # ... 88988942.. sorry fella's.

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 05/11/11 09:24 PM

Quote:

The pump is commanded to turn on at start up to help lower the emmisions and get the cat converter working sooner. As soon as the engine is deemed *clean* by the ecm it shuts off.

thanks. the tradeoffs are noise/space/weight vs oil leaks.

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 05/21/11 12:31 AM

Moparacer,

Looks like you are using 10 or 12 line. I have enough of 8, will that work or do I need to go to 10 or 12?

Thanks
Chuck

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 05/21/11 04:15 AM

Quote:

Moparacer,

Looks like you are using 10 or 12 line. I have enough of 8, will that work or do I need to go to 10 or 12?

Thanks
Chuck

I used 12....

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 05/21/11 05:39 AM

Quote:

Moparacer,

Thanks
Chuck

Sorry so late but I think you should use -12 or 3/4 ID.

Need the CFM AT W.O.T.

sent you a pm.
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: Electric vacuum pump? - 05/21/11 11:12 AM

Quote:

Ok here is how I rigged it up with my alky injection I just put on this past week.

First pic shows out of the front of the valve covers and don't forget to make sure they are baffled or it will suck oil when the engine is running.

Second pic is the breather setup I use to catch the moisture from the alky. I mounted the pump under the fender up front to save on space under the hood. The breather tube runs down through the hole where the battery tray was originally. As you can see the clear tubing is completely fogged up with moisture and water droplets with it running so its definatley pulling it out. Better off there then in the pan!

Last pic is the pump under the fender.

can you repost these pics ...I would like to see what you have done..thanks..
© 2024 Moparts Forums