Moparts

How fast in 1/4 with single AFB style carb

Posted By: 6PACMAC

How fast in 1/4 with single AFB style carb - 04/05/11 11:36 AM

I know max wedge guys are well into the tens with 2 AFBs. I'm just curious how fast with just one
Posted By: Cudajon

Re: How fast in 1/4 with single AFB style carb - 04/05/11 01:04 PM

You're limited by the CFM of the Carter/Eldebrock. In a small block with a super liteweight car 10's would be possible. But for a big block in a full size car probably 12's.
Posted By: 9SecRoadRunner

Re: How fast in 1/4 with single AFB style carb - 04/05/11 09:43 PM

I have seen with MY OWN EYES alot faster then 12's ....and I have personally also been deep into the 9's with 2 edelbrock 1407's

Re: How fast in 1/4 with single AFB style carb - 04/05/11 10:01 PM

I've run in the mid-upper 11's with one in a unset up, 67 gtx 3800# pig. Gotta be somebody in the tens with a set-up car
Posted By: Kevins493

Re: How fast in 1/4 with single AFB style carb - 04/05/11 10:35 PM

I'm sure there are plenty of super stock cars running AFB's in the 10's....
Posted By: mbogina

Re: How fast in 1/4 with single AFB style carb - 04/05/11 10:37 PM

65 Coronet, 383, 516 heads, 3470 lbs, best of 10.34 in SS/JA, 625 AFB
Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: How fast in 1/4 with single AFB style carb - 04/05/11 10:43 PM

Quote:

That's the one I was thinking of, John Winslow's car. Steve Wann did the engine.

Re: How fast in 1/4 with single AFB style carb - 04/05/11 10:46 PM

John's car is a 426W w 516 heads, he might have gone a bit faster by now. The 383 car I am referring to is a Div 5 SS car, we sold it a 3 years ago, now in the Denver area.
Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: How fast in 1/4 with single AFB style carb - 04/05/11 10:48 PM

Quote:

John's car is a 426W w 516 heads, he might have gone a bit faster by now. The 383 car I am referring to is a Div 5 SS car, we sold it a 3 years ago, now in the Denver area.

Oops, you're right. I totally skipped over where you said 383. I know John's car was in the National Dragster a few weeks ago and I do remember it saying he was into the 10's.

Re: How fast in 1/4 with single AFB style carb - 04/05/11 10:58 PM

Quote:

What kinda work in those heads? I know, I know you'll have to kill me if you tell me. Just some hints and maybe a air flow number or two

Re: How fast in 1/4 with single AFB style carb - 04/05/11 11:12 PM

Flow at 28"- Intakes flowed 285, 2.08 valve. Exhausts flowed 190, 1.60 valve. Stock port volumes, I believe they were 184 cc intakes, 64 cc Exhaust. Major PITA to work with- thin, no room to reshape.
Posted By: pro6pakRR

Re: How fast in 1/4 with single AFB style carb - 04/06/11 03:51 AM

Quote:

I know max wedge guys are well into the tens with 2 AFBs. I'm just curious how fast with just one

My brothers 71 roadrunner with a 750 has gone 11.40@118

Attached picture 6570865-19-02.JPG
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: How fast in 1/4 with single AFB style carb - 04/06/11 09:14 PM

you might be able to pull 12's. however if you went with a real carb you could be in the 11's easy. Depends on the build, car and carb size.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: How fast in 1/4 with single AFB style carb - 04/07/11 12:04 AM

Quote:

If the only rule was that the engine needed to use one AFB carb then it wouldn't take long before guys were running in the 9's or even 8's. If there was money involved, they would figure it out.

The Super Stock guys are in the 10's but that is with a whole rule book of rules that they have to follow. Get rid of those rules and the times would drop like a rock.
Posted By: dOc !

Re: How fast in 1/4 with single AFB style carb - 04/07/11 12:12 AM

Quote:

you might be able to pull 12's. however if you went with a real carb you could be in the 11's easy.

Ahhhh ... a REAL carb ? ... like a Plastic-Fantastic !!

Re: How fast in 1/4 with single AFB style carb - 04/07/11 12:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

you might be able to pull 12's. however if you went with a real carb you could be in the 11's easy.

Ahhhh ... a REAL carb ? ... like a Plastic-Fantastic !!

hahaha yeah...I'll give you a thermo over a tiny afb

Re: How fast in 1/4 with single AFB style carb - 04/07/11 03:29 PM

Quote:

you might be able to pull 12's.

to the original poster...its obvious as stated several times already your are NOT limited to 12's using an AFB style carb, with some tuning abilities you can easily make them run fine and make good power...dont let the guys who say you cant do it decide for you...just because they cant do it doesnt mean everyone else cant
Posted By: AndyF

Re: How fast in 1/4 with single AFB style carb - 04/07/11 03:34 PM

Take a Pro Stock car, pull off the tunnel ram and put a sheet metal 4bbl intake on there with a single AFB. I bet that combo would run in the 8's.

We've done some dyno testing with small carbs before and while the motor drops power, it still makes enough to push a car down the track plenty fast. A big motor might drop 100 hp when you replace a Dominator with a Holley 650, but that is still enough power to run 8's or 9's with a good chassis.

Re: How fast in 1/4 with single AFB style carb - 04/07/11 09:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

to the original poster...its obvious as stated several times already your are NOT limited to 12's using an AFB style carb, with some tuning abilities you can easily make them run fine and make good power...dont let the guys who say you cant do it decide for you...just because they cant do it doesnt mean everyone else cant

didn't say you couldn't. but you'd have to spens big big dollars on an AFB to equal the performance of an off the shelf 750HP carb. The AFB mentioned above is far from a shelf unit. If rules allowed it he'd probably run a holley. It's just a better design PERIOD. So for the evryday Joe Smoe weekend warrior a holley is a much better choice for all out performance. I've run plenty of Carter and cater based carbs, No issues w/ any, you just get more form a holley.

Re: How fast in 1/4 with single AFB style carb - 04/07/11 09:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

didn't say you couldn't. but you'd have to spens big big dollars on an AFB to equal the performance of an off the shelf 750HP carb. The AFB mentioned above is far from a shelf unit. If rules allowed it he'd probably run a holley. It's just a better design PERIOD. So for the evryday Joe Smoe weekend warrior a holley is a much better choice for all out performance. I've run plenty of Carter and cater based carbs, No issues w/ any, you just get more form a holley.

OP asked "how fast in the 1/4 with a single afb style carb"....your answer " 12's "...not once was it limited to "box stock" or "price"....you said maybe 12's, your WRONG period !

Re: How fast in 1/4 with single AFB style carb - 04/07/11 10:08 PM

OK 9Second. sure one can do it. carry on. OP also never posted what build or his desired et.

Re: How fast in 1/4 with single AFB style carb - 04/07/11 10:54 PM

just bustin your b@lls Yuck...I owed you a few from the other carter/eddy/holley posts..but its all in fun, I dont take it serious or offensive, nor do I mean it that way

Re: How fast in 1/4 with single AFB style carb - 04/07/11 11:00 PM

Quote:

just bustin your [Email]b@lls[/Email] Yuck...I owed you a few from the other carter/eddy/holley posts..but its all in fun, I dont take it serious or offensive, nor do I mean it that way

I know, no worries. I don't mind. I have a buddy that flat refuses to use a holley. Drives me nuts. His bro gave him a 850DP to try he WON't put it on......I told him to put it on and if it didn't drop his et 3 tenths I'd buy him a case of beer.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: How fast in 1/4 with single AFB style carb - 04/08/11 12:03 AM

I've run 6.90's in the 1/8th with a tweaked 440 AVS before in a 440 a body, that's roughly a low low 11. Went just as quick as a 4779 holley but more consistent in hot weather.

A lot of guys don't know how to tune avs/afb's, or holleys, Q-jets or Webers....but that's not the carb's fault.

I run an 800 thunder AVS on my 427" small block Cobra, works better and is more tractible around corners than any Holley I've ever run....quick tip, on anything much over 450 horse running an AVS, it's best to run a dual line to the carb because the main achilles heel of the AVS/AFB design is the float bowls are a bit small for sustained High RPM power fuel flow, a single feed relies on internal cross-over flow.
Posted By: Cudajon

Re: How fast in 1/4 with single AFB style carb - 04/08/11 12:05 AM

OK a hypothetical question and a honest answer. I'm sure with enough money you can do a lot, BUT, every joe out there with his 4000lb car ain't gonna get his car into the 10's with a single 4 barrel. How fast do you want to go = How much are you willing to spend.
Posted By: tatrwedge

Re: How fast in 1/4 with single AFB style carb - 04/09/11 03:36 AM

We have two Max Wedge cars a 1963 Plymouth the best last year 8.65 and a 1964 Plymouth wagon the best 9.15 with two AFB 800's.They both ran this at Bowling Green last year.
© 2024 Moparts Forums