Moparts

How do Indy's rocker shafts hold up to roller springs?

Posted By: BradH

How do Indy's rocker shafts hold up to roller springs? - 04/04/11 08:39 PM

Just curious if the Indy rocker arm shafts like they provide w/ their 440-1 kit hold up to 600#s OK, or if they're not beefy enough and end up oblonged / egg shaped after usage. These would be for use w/ plain-bearing style rockers, not needle-bearing fulcrums.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: How do Indy's rocker shafts hold up to roller springs? - 04/04/11 09:15 PM

We use their thick wall shafts with zero failures.
Posted By: Old School

Re: How do Indy's rocker shafts hold up to roller springs? - 04/05/11 02:09 AM

Quote:

Just curious if the Indy rocker arm shafts like they provide w/ their 440-1 kit hold up to 600#s OK, or if they're not beefy enough and end up oblonged / egg shaped after usage. These would be for use w/ plain-bearing style rockers, not needle-bearing fulcrums.

shafts seem ok, but this is what there rocker arms do with to much pressure....

Attached picture 6568679-brokenrockerarms2.jpg
Posted By: steeldust

Re: How do Indy's rocker shafts hold up to roller springs? - 04/05/11 02:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I broke three 1.5 offset rocker on a 640 lift cam last year they were IND black arms i know four guys that have broke rockers and they went to JESEL but i got me a set of T&D shaft mount rockers i got 1.6 rockers on a 725 lift cam i will see if they hold up in a 572 stoker. GOOD LUCK

Attached picture 6568771-67253_152855518085378_100000827931162_228698_4851710_a.jpg
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: How do Indy's rocker shafts hold up to roller springs? - 04/05/11 03:26 AM

Same situation here. A little more lift and spring pressure but not many passes before we broke rockers.
Posted By: juicedcuda

Re: How do Indy's rocker shafts hold up to roller springs? - 04/05/11 04:05 AM

They dont!

Re: How do Indy's rocker shafts hold up to roller springs? - 04/05/11 02:54 PM

I'm well aware of the issues that the Indy (Dove) rockers have w/ roller-level spring pressures and am only interested in how the shafts themselves hold up. I would never run the Dove rockers w/ that much spring pressure.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: How do Indy's rocker shafts hold up to roller springs? - 04/05/11 03:31 PM

Quote:

What spring pressures and how much time were on the rockers?
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: How do Indy's rocker shafts hold up to roller springs? - 04/05/11 03:33 PM

Quote:

I broke three 1.5 offset rocker on a 640 lift cam last year they were IND black arms i know four guys that have broke rockers

What spring pressures and how many passes when you started breaking them?
Posted By: BloFish

Re: How do Indy's rocker shafts hold up to roller springs? - 04/05/11 03:50 PM

Did you give up on the VI's Brad and switch to Indy?

Re: How do Indy's rocker shafts hold up to roller springs? - 04/05/11 03:54 PM

Quote:

Did you give up on the VI's Brad and switch to Indy?

The Stage VIs have a pending deal on them; this is just looking into options for shafts for the Victors since Hughes doesn't sell theirs separately anymore (only as part of rocker arm kits) and my used RAS shafts are going w/ the Stage VIs. Will still be using Hughes/Probe rockers w/ the Victors.
Posted By: RADAMX

Re: How do Indy's rocker shafts hold up to roller springs? - 04/05/11 04:27 PM

definately run the thick wall shafts. the kit shafts will bend big time they are junk...I have no problems with My indy 1.5 black rockers
700 + lift and 7800 rpm..Knocking on wood as I type

Re: How do Indy's rocker shafts hold up to roller springs? - 04/05/11 04:41 PM

Also curious to know if Harland Sharp's shafts are the same diameter as stock. They're really beefy, too, although the oil holes (as I recall) are done differently than what most other shafts have. Anyone run HS shafts w/ non-roller bearing rockers?
Posted By: Old School

Re: How do Indy's rocker shafts hold up to roller springs? - 04/05/11 06:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What spring pressures and how much time were on the rockers?

i just changed springs to k motion 950,s. they are about 755 @1.200. they did not last an hour.
Posted By: Barnstorm

Re: How do Indy's rocker shafts hold up to roller springs? - 04/05/11 06:53 PM

We use Mopar perf HD shafts with Comp 948 springs {950@ 1.20 open] and Indy black 1.5's...geometry is dead on with plenty of oil uptop. 440-1 offsets....broke 1 ex rocker in 15 yrs. Lucky?

Attached picture 6569786-6180939-IMG2413[1].jpg
Posted By: racerx

Re: How do Indy's rocker shafts hold up to roller springs? - 06/16/11 05:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

...I broke a rocker a few weeks ago with the car idling in the garage can't remember the spring presure off hand but the cam is a solid roller with 693/706 with 274/277@50 and it broke a rocker almost like in the shape of a C
Posted By: 68roadrunner

Re: How do Indy's rocker shafts hold up to roller springs? - 06/16/11 06:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I broke three 1.5 offset rocker on a 640 lift cam last year they were IND black arms i know four guys that have broke rockers

What spring pressures and how many passes when you started breaking them?

mine was good for a hundred passes with 300# on the seat and 690# open.
and also one shaft was cracked when i took them off.

did not know they offered a thick wall version, thats what i get for not buying from bg.
© 2024 Moparts Forums