Moparts

Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi

Posted By: STEFF

Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/03/11 11:34 PM

I dyno’d my 6.1 Hemi yesterday at Muscle Motors. All went well & I’m pleased with the results. I’ll post some pics of the dyno sheets, once I can darken up the copies I have as they washout when I take pics of them.

Motor Details: Stock Short Block, Modern Cylinder Head ported 6.1 Heads, 358/240cfm @ .650 lift, Stock 2.08/1.58 Hollow Stem Valves, PAC Springs & related parts, Stock Rockers, Trend Pushrods, 5/16 x .080 wall, Performance Werks Racing Custom Hydraulic Roller to work with stock piston (no valve reliefs): 224/228 @ .050, .620/.640 lift , 112CL +2 , Drag Pack Intake, Proform HP950 Carb, Milodon Pan & Windage Tray, Firecore Prototype Coil Packs, 1 3/4 primary x 30” long dyno headers, ATI Drag Pack Damper, Meziere Remote Water Pump.

Dyno pulls were from 4500 to 6500 rpms.

Torque curve is very nice, starting at 472 ft. lbs. at 4540 rpm, peaking at 487 ft. lbs at 5258 rpm, then tapering off to 450.5 at 6454 rpm

Horse Power started at 408.1hp @ 4540 rpm & steadily climbing to a peak of 556.5 hp @ 6441 rpm.

I know dyno’s are what they are & the proof is in the MPH at the track. But, I’m still very pleased! I’ve got plenty of data now for a base line for a converter, fuel & timing.

Big Thanx to Mike Ware for the dyno & help…… Rick Gorski & Firecore for the Coil Packs. They DO make Power!!.... Andy at PWR for the Cam & to Jeff at Modern for the Awesome Port Work!!

It’s going to be a FUN Summer!!!!

Posted By: W5Duster436

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/03/11 11:36 PM

Posted By: mshred

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/03/11 11:42 PM

Nice man!

really shows how much potential these new hemis have...Kinda wish I had done a Gen3 hemi build over my 360 LA
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/04/11 12:18 AM

Cool deal. Jeff did some really nice work on those heads. That engine should be a ton of fun.
Posted By: 340RICK

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/04/11 12:59 AM

Congrats all of you

That is sweet for a stock short block
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/04/11 01:03 AM

Steff, thanks for the opportunity to test our 6.1 FireCore Coil Packs. We have one more place testing them, and if the results are similar to yours, they will go into full production. Those were amazing results with just a coil pack change. What is more amazing is what you have accomplished. It should be the default-build for Gen3 Hemi guys. It is going to have me, and a lot of others, looking hard at what it takes to put these into our dinosaurs. Congrats, I'm proud of you.
Posted By: hemidup

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/04/11 01:23 AM

Quote:

Steff, thanks for the opportunity to test our 6.1 FireCore Coil Packs. We have one more place testing them, and if the results are similar to yours, they will go into full production. Those were amazing results with just a coil pack change. What is more amazing is what you have accomplished. It should be the default-build for Gen3 Hemi guys. It is going to have me, and a lot of others, looking hard at what it takes to put these into our dinosaurs. Congrats, I'm proud of you.

Off topic but Rick, What would it take to try out a set of your new Hemi coil packs? Heading back to the engine dyno April 13th to finish tuning a built and blown Gen III Hemi. Had to quit at 5500 rpm last time cause we ran out of fuel. Made 936hp/898ft lbs, tq @ 5500 and still didn't see peak tq. Got the new injectors and we're ready to roll again.

Back on topic.

Congrates Steff. What size jet's did you find to work the best and did you try a carb spacer?
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/04/11 01:34 AM

me like!!

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/04/11 01:47 AM

Quote:

Congrats Steff. What size jet's did you find to work the best and did you try a carb spacer?

86/94 & no, didn't try an extra spacer. It was getting late & I figured I could try it at the track. Plus, I'm not sure what style of spacer to try, as the intake has a "cloverleaf" type of machined plenum opening.

Thanx everyone!
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/04/11 01:49 AM

me following......
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/04/11 02:20 AM

Now find a Colt to put it in and you'll have a drivable 9 second streeter.
Posted By: gremlinsteve

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/04/11 02:31 AM

told ya that they can do it. congrats on the build
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/04/11 02:31 AM

Steff when do you plan on putting it in...
or I should say is the car done

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/04/11 02:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Off topic but Rick, What would it take to try out a set of your new Hemi coil packs? Heading back to the engine dyno April 13th to finish tuning a built and blown Gen III Hemi. Had to quit at 5500 rpm last time cause we ran out of fuel. Made 936hp/898ft lbs, tq @ 5500 and still didn't see peak tq. Got the new injectors and we're ready to roll again.

Back on topic.

Congrates Steff. What size jet's did you find to work the best and did you try a carb spacer?

Call me tomorrow.. Thanks..

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/04/11 02:57 AM

Quote:

Steff when do you plan on putting it in...
or I should say is the car done

1970 Road Runner. Mechanically, the car is done. Motor was in the car & running this past fall. I removed it to make the upgrades. I just need to finish the interior & dash wiring.
Posted By: Dartman928

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/04/11 02:57 AM

Great job Steff

Mike and the guys from Muscle Motors are good guys for sure
Posted By: Big Squeeze

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/04/11 05:16 AM

That's pretty awesome, Steff.....
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/04/11 01:01 PM

Good work Steve!!!
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/04/11 02:25 PM

Now that's interesting! Cool!
Posted By: Dartin

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/04/11 04:15 PM

Going to be a sweet ride! Can't wait to see it in person!

Randy
Posted By: gdemon

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/04/11 06:23 PM

Those are some great numbers. Cant wait to hear it run.

Jerry
Posted By: topbrent

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/04/11 08:59 PM

What power difference do you think there would be between the tall Mopar Drag Pack intake you are currently using, and a lower XV style intake?

Posted By: MuscleMike

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/04/11 09:44 PM

Can't argue with results. 556 HP and 486 toque out of a little ole 370" engine is stout. Honestly when it idles down to 750 rpm you can't even tell there is a "cam in it". Because of the stock piston design you can't put a lot of duration in it or even open the intake valve earlier to lower your peak torque RPM. I do believe the MP intake is worth power over the XV but the XV is 1)available and 2)will not require a hood scoop.
Just goes to show what a good flowing set of head will do for ya. Going from 7" of vacuum to no vacuum yeilded ZERO difference in power (with the stock ring package that Steff ran)
The flat/broad torque curve is really impressive and will really pull like a freight train in high gear.

Attached picture 6568089-ScannedImage-7.jpg
Posted By: 65signet

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/04/11 10:02 PM

That is nice I am really likin the Gen 3 hemi!

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/04/11 10:03 PM

Mike, that thing is really going to push his car well. Thanks for doing the very first dyno test with our FireCore coil packs. I feel that these will be our biggest breakthrough since the developing our 8.5 wire. Thank you.

We only got the stock dyno results sheet in the fax. Thanks. Are you able to print out the A/F, EGT and O2? Thanks
Posted By: MuscleMike

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/04/11 10:25 PM

Hey Rick, sorry I forgot to mention your coil packs. Steve and I had agreed that we had gotten what we were gonna get out of the engine. Spark plugs had the mark in the middle of the bend, O2's looked good, ran with and with out the vacuum pump and it made 3 or 4 pulls between 554-556 HP.

I was skeptical to say the least that to coil packs would make a difference. I figured in a high compression or a boosted application it would matter but a 10:1 pump gas combo i figured the stock coils would be fine. It took us about 4 minutes to swap out the Firecore Coils for the stock ones and INSTANTLY lost 5 HP and 6 ft/lbs. A second pull verified that the Firecore Coilpacks definitely made more power. I would use the again in second, on ANY Gen III project!

Mike @MM
Posted By: wldtm

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/04/11 10:56 PM

Congrats, very impressive. I think it is great someone has decided to put this technology to work in a different build...

Is the intake working as well as if it was an EFI engine. Since the drag paks were design for EFI, I was just curious if that effects any hp or torque since the intake is now "wet" for the lack of a better word.

I dont know, so I am asking input on if there would be anymore power (not necessarily peak) if converted to efi???

Anyone have any hard data??? IE? Dyno sheets?

thanks jm
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/05/11 12:38 AM

Nice numbers Steff! Gonna be a fun car!
Posted By: Irun5snd8th

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/05/11 12:46 AM

Quote:

Congrats, very impressive. I think it is great someone has decided to put this technology to work in a different build...

Is the intake working as well as if it was an EFI engine. Since the drag paks were design for EFI, I was just curious if that effects any hp or torque since the intake is now "wet" for the lack of a better word.

I dont know, so I am asking input on if there would be anymore power (not necessarily peak) if converted to efi???

Anyone have any hard data??? IE? Dyno sheets?

thanks jm

You can rest assured that EFI will outrun a carb in basically any application if properly tuned. There is so much that you can do with a laptop as far as fuel curves are concerned that it is apples to oranges comparison.

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/05/11 03:15 AM

Quote:

What power difference do you think there would be between the tall Mopar Drag Pack intake you are currently using, and a lower XV style intake?

Our dyno sheet's using a stock 5.7 truck intake vs 6.1 SRT8 intake vs the 5.7 XV intake. The engine was a 6.1 based 418 stroker using our 5.7 cnc heads. Even with matched ports, the XV lacked in both hp and tq. The port matched 5.7 truck intake and the mismatched 6.1 SRT8 intake where pretty much neck n neck. All the above intakes were tested using the same adjusted fuel trims.

Attached picture 6568841-08%20no2%20mods%201%20018.jpg
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/05/11 03:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Our dyno sheet's using a stock 5.7 truck intake vs 6.1 SRT8 intake vs the 5.7 XV intake. The engine was a 6.1 based 418 stroker using our 5.7 cnc heads. Even with matched ports, the XV lacked in both hp and tq. The port matched 5.7 truck intake and the mismatched 6.1 SRT8 intake where pretty much neck n neck. All the above intakes were tested using the same adjusted fuel trims.

that makes me wonder how the edelborck with longer runner duel plane would do. that intake looks like a big loss across the whole chart

Very Nice Steff
Posted By: 10secGTX

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/05/11 03:37 AM

Way to go Steff ! and thanks again
Posted By: Bubba

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/05/11 07:33 PM

WOW Great Numbers SteveO... Anyone wanna buy a World Block and Callies Crank?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/05/11 11:56 PM

Quote:

I dyno’d my 6.1 Hemi yesterday at Muscle Motors. All went well & I’m pleased with the results. I’ll post some pics of the dyno sheets, once I can darken up the copies I have as they washout when I take pics of them.

Motor Details: Stock Short Block, Modern Cylinder Head ported 6.1 Heads, 358/240cfm @ .650 lift, Stock 2.08/1.58 Hollow Stem Valves, PAC Springs & related parts, Stock Rockers, Trend Pushrods, 5/16 x .080 wall, Performance Werks Racing Custom Hydraulic Roller to work with stock piston (no valve reliefs): 224/228 @ .050, .620/.640 lift , 112CL +2 , Drag Pack Intake, Proform HP950 Carb, Milodon Pan & Windage Tray, Firecore Prototype Coil Packs, 1 3/4 primary x 30” long dyno headers, ATI Drag Pack Damper, Meziere Remote Water Pump.

Dyno pulls were from 4500 to 6500 rpms.

Torque curve is very nice, starting at 472 ft. lbs. at 4540 rpm, peaking at 487 ft. lbs at 5258 rpm, then tapering off to 450.5 at 6454 rpm

Horse Power started at 408.1hp @ 4540 rpm & steadily climbing to a peak of 556.5 hp @ 6441 rpm.

I know dyno’s are what they are & the proof is in the MPH at the track. But, I’m still very pleased! I’ve got plenty of data now for a base line for a converter, fuel & timing.

Big Thanx to Mike Ware for the dyno & help…… Rick Gorski & Firecore for the Coil Packs. They DO make Power!!.... Andy at PWR for the Cam & to Jeff at Modern for the Awesome Port Work!!

It’s going to be a FUN Summer!!!!

Awesome results. Very Cool. How long did it take to build?

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/06/11 02:08 AM

Quote:

Awesome results. Very Cool. How long did it take to build?

Not long at all. I started a low mileage, running motor & made the changes described in my first post.

Thanx Again Everyone for the compliments!!
Posted By: biff426

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/06/11 02:52 AM

Quote:

WOW Great Numbers SteveO... Anyone wanna buy a World Block and Callies Crank?

YEP
Posted By: MikeCompTA 57

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/06/11 09:37 AM

Are these numbers with the serpentine belt and all the accessories?

Quote:

Can't argue with results. 556 HP and 486 toque out of a little ole 370" engine is stout. Honestly when it idles down to 750 rpm you can't even tell there is a "cam in it". Because of the stock piston design you can't put a lot of duration in it or even open the intake valve earlier to lower your peak torque RPM. I do believe the MP intake is worth power over the XV but the XV is 1)available and 2)will not require a hood scoop.
Just goes to show what a good flowing set of head will do for ya. Going from 7" of vacuum to no vacuum yeilded ZERO difference in power (with the stock ring package that Steff ran)
The flat/broad torque curve is really impressive and will really pull like a freight train in high gear.

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/06/11 11:37 AM

Quote:

There are no accessories other than an alternator & it was not on the motor when dynoing. I did try a vaccuum pump on the motor.

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/06/11 02:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

There are no accessories other than an alternator & it was not on the motor when dynoing. I did try a vaccuum pump on the motor.

Any gains shown with the vaccuum pump?
Posted By: drmopar

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/06/11 02:33 PM

Awesome Steve, I look forward to seeing my old road runner on the road with that potent driveline!

Attached picture 6571366-x970rr.jpg
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/06/11 02:40 PM

He put a pump for sale right after the dyno session.

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/06/11 02:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Any gains shown with the vaccuum pump?

No gains. Had regulator set to pull about 1" vacuum at idle (to be safe) & it was pulling about 7" thru the pull. The only thing it did was mess with the oil pressure. Oil pressure was showing in the 50's at the start of the pull 4500 & dropped to the high 40's at the end of the pull, 6500. We removed the pump belt & hose from the motor & the oil pressure came right back to 64 lbs, pretty much thruout the pull.

Pump was mounted to fitting/port next to oil fill on Intake.
Posted By: moper

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/06/11 05:04 PM

Awesome build. I'm impressed. I'm also totally out of it on new gen stuff... Out of curiousity: What does a package like that cost if you have no core? (not including the dyno and head porting) What do the factory heads flow? I'm just curious about the cost comparison to a comparable LA based 550-600hp NA engine.

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/06/11 05:20 PM

Quote:

Awesome build. I'm impressed. I'm also totally out of it on new gen stuff... Out of curiousity: What does a package like that cost if you have no core? (not including the dyno and head porting) What do the factory heads flow? I'm just curious about the cost comparison to a comparable LA based 550-600hp NA engine.

I bought a running motor for $2300, which was a great deal. They typically go for quite a bit more than that. I've got an additional $2710 in it, as it sits, so the grand total invested is $5010.
Posted By: mshred

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/06/11 05:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I bought a running motor for $2300, which was a great deal. They typically go for quite a bit more than that. I've got an additional $2710 in it, as it sits, so the grand total invested is $5010.

Id say thats pretty good, considering you haven't even gone into the bottom end...it would be impossible to make that power in an LA without going into the bottom end.

I love this build, very very impressive

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/06/11 05:47 PM

Quote:

Id say thats pretty good, considering you haven't even gone into the bottom end...it would be impossible to make that power in an LA without going into the bottom end.

I'm going to address the bottom end this coming winter. I was going to do a stroker, but I may just leave it stock cubes, do a rod & piston change & put a "real" cam in it with more duration.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/06/11 11:42 PM

Great results Steve, thanks for posting

Here's some history on the intake, since I happened to be there at the time:

It was designed as a high performance carbureted intake. It's first use was on a carbureted 392ci crate engine. FI entered the picture around a year after it had begun being used as a carb intake.

A (ballpark) 50HP split was observed between the tall single plane with an 870 carb, and a stock 6.1 intake on the same dyno at 392ci, high overlap cam, forged slugs with valve reliefs and so on.

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/07/11 01:33 AM

Zippy, great info. What are the chances of Ma Mopar being interested in our HP FireCore Coil Packs for the 6.1?
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/07/11 01:51 AM

Rick, what is the deal with your plug wires that come with the indy gen 3 valve covers? i over those covers and wonder what the hidden coil spark plug wires thing is
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/07/11 01:53 AM

Zippy, how about talking the guys into doing one of those tall NASCAR type intake manifolds for big block engines? 50 hp would be cool.

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/07/11 02:02 AM

Quote:

Rick, what is the deal with your plug wires that come with the indy gen 3 valve covers? i over those covers and wonder what the hidden coil spark plug wires thing is

Hi Ray. I really don't want to hi-jack Steff's dyno post. Maybe we'll start another post in the race section. We figured out a way to keep the springs on the boots and no zip ties on the coil !
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/07/11 03:58 PM

The tall intake is kind of required because the ports face straight up at the sky instead of faceing the oposite bank. With the low rise intake it has to make a sharp turn before it enters the head, with the super high rise intake the air fuel charge has a nearly straight shot at the valve. It would not work so well on a BB or SB because the A/F would have to make a sharp turn as it enters the head. To get a similar effect on a BB you would need to modify a (short)long ram manifold to accept a big side draft carb by cutting off the 4bbl pad end and make (weld on)an adapter flange to bolt the side draft carb to. This would be the most direct path to the port and the bend in the port going into the valve would be the only significant bend. You would still have fuel seperation as the fuel traveled along that long intake unlike the genIII hemi with the tall intake, any fuel that seperates will still fall directly onto the back of the valve.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/07/11 05:33 PM

Seems sort of unlikely the intake design
would work on a whole different engine layout?

50 over stock is a big gain for a gen 3 considering there are hardly any other intakes available for it....
but it isn't so for a wedge, not when you can just plop an indy/super victor/etc with a dominator on a wedge and be done with it, and the gains will be even greater.
50 years of development compared to 8 years doesn't seem fair....

On the coil packs, don't know for sure Rick, I haven't been asked for product suggestions for a long time. Safest bet is to write off a sample set and send them in for testing, that way the next time anyone starts fishing for new products they would be first in line.

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/08/11 03:28 AM

Thanks, Zip. Could you please pm me the address and contact names.. Sounds like a chance. Thank you.

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/08/11 04:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm going to address the bottom end this coming winter. I was going to do a stroker, but I may just leave it stock cubes, do a rod & piston change & put a "real" cam in it with more duration.

Steff, Stock stroke, stock bore, more compression and a good valve job with stock 6.1 heads and a 5xx cam will net you around 620-640 hp. Stroke it with ported heads will easily put you in the 700 hp zone with a complete engine that weighs around 450lbs.
Posted By: Irun5snd8th

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/08/11 04:20 AM

Keep talking guys. I want to hear more. My interest is really peaked.
Posted By: SRT6776

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/08/11 04:25 AM

5000lb daily driven Jeep SRT8 in the 9's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXY_RibGSEg&feature=related

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/08/11 04:56 AM

Quote:

5000lb daily driven Jeep SRT8 in the 9's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXY_RibGSEg&feature=related

GIDDY UP! Awesome, just awesome.
Posted By: POS Dakota

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/08/11 05:03 AM

You have to love the way it launches. It leaps.

Re: Dyno Results for My 6.1 Hemi - 04/08/11 05:54 PM

Quote:

Steff, Stock stroke, stock bore, more compression and a good valve job with stock 6.1 heads and a 5xx cam will net you around 620-640 hp. Stroke it with ported heads will easily put you in the 700 hp zone with a complete engine that weighs around 450lbs.

Stroker is still the off season direction. The rod/piston only change was just a passing thought.
© 2024 Moparts Forums