Moparts

Tow rigs UPDATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Tow rigs UPDATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 03/30/11 01:33 AM

I had the chance to drive a 02 dodge 1 ron with the cummings in it, and I must say that I was not that impressed with the power. Maybe it was just that one but non the less it was slugish on low end. Now with that said it had 97000 miles on it. I also drove a 05 ford f350 and that thing was a beast in terms of performance. I have a chance of get the ford for about 15000 grand. Was wondering if anyone has towed with one, and how what it. Its a 6.0 powerstroke. Just looking for some input before I comit to anything. Thanks guys...
Posted By: 70HemiGTX

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 01:38 AM

97,000 mi. That Cummins isn't broken in yet. I know the power is down on certain years because of the emissions, but don't know exactly which ones.

I have a 95 3500, Cummins, 5 spd. Only a 185 hp engine. So it's one of the little ones. Wouldn't be afraid to put it up against most anything. It would hold it's own. Plus it only has 3.54 gears.

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 01:43 AM

The dodge is alot more money and I kinda wanted to stay around 15 grand. I know its not a lot but its what I have to work with. My 03 with 4.7 just doesnt have the legs it use to. I'd love to stay with the dodge but this just seems like a screaming deal. I dont know, looking at all these trucks the last couple of days is making my head spin.
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 01:43 AM

Quote:

I had the chance to drive a 02 dodge 1 ron with the cummings in it, and I must say that I was not that impressed with the power. Maybe it was just that one but non the less it was slugish on low end. Now with that said it had 97000 miles on it. I also drove a 05 ford f350 and that thing was a beast in terms of performance. I have a chance of get the ford for about 15000 grand. Was wondering if anyone has towed with one, and how what it. Its a 6.0 powerstroke. Just looking for some input before I comit to anything. Thanks guys...

something must have been wrong with the truck I have had an 04 an 05 and now I have an 06 and they all had power to spear.
I pull a 35' 16000# 5th wheel and have no problems getting it moving with my bone stock truck.
I can run down the highway all day long at 80+ mph if I want to and when it is empty it will go 0-80 in a hurry for a 8000 ride.

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 01:54 AM

Yeah, I must say that I was very disapointed in its performance. I cant afford a new one or,thats where I'd be heading. Doesn't anyone tow with a ford. I don't really want to by goverment motors, so its between the ford and dodge. But I'll have to keep looking if its going to be a dodge. I'm really not in a hurry to get anything but this one fell in my lap at a good price and don't know if I should just pass and wait or go ahead and get it.
Posted By: DragDart360

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 02:03 AM

6.0 Power Stroke do a google search then run far away as fast as you can!
The Cummins, no G is a beast . Go to www.cumminsforum.com to learn more. If it didn't match power with the Ford something was seriously wrong.
Posted By: biff426

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 02:05 AM

From personal expierience STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM A 6.0 FORD AS YOU CAN GET you have been warned had 3 different trucks that our company owned all left me on the side of the road they were serviced at all the correct intervals and never beat on injector failures out the wazoo head gaskets EGR coolers oil coolers they have MAJOR ISSUES good power when they run the last one ford bought back.I own a 06 Mega cab cummins best truck I have ever owned do your research before you buy 6.0=junk 6.4=junk warning warning warning

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 02:10 AM

By the way if the prone to fail lift pump was bad on the cummins it will run like dog doo and could have damaged the injector pump this is really the only problems with 98.5-02 cummins trucks I have owned 2 of them as well
Posted By: Kyle Reasbeck

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 02:10 AM

i've driven a bunch of both and even with both running right, the 6.0 Ford will outrun the cummins considerably. That being said, both again being right, will do more than enough towing most race setups. 6.0s have some serious head issues, and if i remember correctly the cab comes off to put heads on it. they also have injector issues and EGR. The 5.9 cummins is a much better motor, but make sure the lift and/or injection pump isnt on its way south with the one you drove. It's extremely common and they'll run but be waaaayyy down on power.
Posted By: Kyle Reasbeck

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 02:11 AM

biff426 you tree'd me!
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 02:20 AM

Duramax/Allison

Rickster
Posted By: HEMIDARTS

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 02:22 AM

We just changed both pumps in our 2000 dodge.
They are very expensive.
But we have hauled some heavy stuff, and never knew it was back there!
Posted By: BEEQUIK

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 02:35 AM

I work at the ford dealership and they all give me grief over having a dodge truck. I tell them I drive a dodge because I cannot afford a ford and all of its mechanical issues.Shop is always full of them with lots of problems.My cummins has 166,000 on it and I have replaced the lift pump and injector pump.Other than that no mechanical issues. Mine is a 2001 and with a K&N filter and a superchips power controller($400) it is a bear.Also keep in mind you are comparing a 6 cylinder to an eight cylinder!My truck also gets 21-25 mpg empty,17-18 pulling the open trailer and as much as 14 pulling the 28 foot enclosed.If you have tons of time and money to drop on repairs, buy the ford. Otherwise you better get a dodge.And the 3.54 geared trucks tow great,thats what I have. Mine is a 2 wheel drive shortbed sport model.

Attached picture 6556830-DSC00966.JPG
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 02:35 AM

Ok everyone get thier stones ready to toss at me..

I have an 05 F350 crew cab dually. It has been a very reliable workhorse for me since i bought it new. It has been back to the dealer ONCE since I bought it. That was for an FICM and that is it. Plenty of power for me and my 28' trailer that is full of stuff.

I also service a fleet of ambulances and tow trucks. They are all Fords. We have had one ambulance that needed a shortblock, two that needed EGR coolers and four vehicles total that needed FICM's or injectors. We also have 13 Dodge's in the fleet. For the most part the engines have been pretty reliable one lift and fuel pump replacement. The rest of the truck, IMO total garbage. The brakes, suspension and steering on these compared to the Fords are a joke. If you lay the parts used side by side you will see why.

I am actually wrestling with the idea of selling it and getting a new one. Frankly the prices of the new trucks scare me, plus I dont use my truck as much these days for the tow rig. For the out of town stuff we use the motorhome to tow with but the truck was used for years in that capacity. My 18 year old 5'2" daughter now drives it back and forth to school.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 02:37 AM

I'm happy with my Mega Cab 2500
Posted By: BEEQUIK

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 02:39 AM

Quote:

They are very expensive.

i had mine done at 104000 miles and it cost me $1600 for the lift pump,injector pump and the fuel filter.Lots cheaper than the constant repairs on the powerstrokes. Now the new powerstrokes are super badass power-wise(800 foot lbs)but so is the price tag!
Posted By: JD Dart

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 02:42 AM

I bought a 1997 Dodge Cummins turned up the power just a little it will pull any hill and make them flat that's only at 25 psi of boost. The 12v are easy to get insane power out of and they would be very affordable. Power stroke anything ford
The Cummins will out last the ford.

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 02:45 AM

Al how many miles are on your truck ours were good to about 75k then all heck broke loose look at the resale-what your truck would actually sell for vs a 2002 7.3 equipped the same way I think you will be surprised nobody wants a 6.0
Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 02:49 AM

Quote:

I have been looking for a tow rig myself. Before you buy in Ohio check out Cars.com and look at what is available in the Dallas TX area. Selection and prices are very good because there are so many of these type trucks there. You can easily buy a plane ticket and fly down to pick one up. The trucks are very clean from down there as well. I am leaning toward this idea.

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 02:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

They are very expensive.

i had mine done at 104000 miles and it cost me $1600 for the lift pump,injector pump and the fuel filter.Lots cheaper than the constant repairs on the powerstrokes. Now the new powerstrokes are super badass power-wise(800 foot lbs)but so is the price tag!

We changed the lift pump to try and save the injector pump.
A week later the injector pump left us stranded in Indy on the side of the highway.
This was a couple weeks ago.
We put the best lift pump in at $300.
Dealer cost on injector pump is $2300
We got an injector pump for $1300
WE did all the work our self and had $1600 in it.
This is the only thing that has ever gone wrong with the truck.
They are very reliable trucks!!
Posted By: MoparPitBull

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 02:56 AM

05 dually 4x4 dodge, best truck ive owned, wouldnt trade it for 3 fords.

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 02:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I have been looking for a tow rig myself. Before you buy in Ohio check out Cars.com and look at what is available in the Dallas TX area. Selection and prices are very good because there are so many of these type trucks there. You can easily buy a plane ticket and fly down to pick one up. The trucks are very clean from down there as well. I am leaning toward this idea.

Go out west! Hell you can have it hauled home cheap.
There is a nice crew cab on here in nevada.
I have too much other stuff, or i would buy the 1 in nevada!
Its an 85 1ton converted over to a 92 Diesel.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 03:01 AM

I have a OLD 95 3500 with the 12v and the good pump,
if I want to up the power I change the fuel card in
the injector pump(right on top)... wish I had the
3.54 gears vs my 4.10... I get good mileage but I
want more
Also to the OP... that Dodge could be as simple as
fuel filter being dirty.... no fuel, no power
Posted By: Chassisman

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 03:02 AM

I tow a 40ft triple axle enclosed that tips the scales at 22K loaded for the races. I have a 1999 F350 Crew Cab SD Dually. 7.3 Powerstorke with a 6 spd. 4.10 rear gears....it's all stock.Fom here to Las Vegas(pretty much up and down hills....flat.....then more hills) it averaged 15.5 MPG ....that was setting the tach at 2,000 rpm the magic number for PS Fords...I pulled Tehachapi at 55-60 MPH...I pulled the hill coming out of stateline at 45-50 MPH....not pushing it.
Arguably the 1999-2002 7.3 PS's were the best made....it took me 3 years to find mine....LOVE IT..... REALLY LOVE IT !....
BTW....best light mileage... 25.5....flat landing between Bakersfield and Sacramento....2k RPM...62 MPH

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 03:09 AM

My personal truck has 89K on it right now. The FICM issue was at 34K. I am very well aware of the Ford issues with the 6.0. Form my experience both taking care of the fleet and running the shop the 04 trucks are definitely ones to steer clear of. As for the rest of them they can be a crap shoot for sure. One of the ambulances we have has had pretty much every one of the issues that they are known for as well as needing a shortblock. Others nary a hickup. As for mileage on the fleet they range from 8K to 178K.

Dont get me wrong SOME 6.0's have huge issues, but some I have been around have none. Look at how many of these they have been sold. Also dont beleive everything you read on the internet. Most folks are not gonna be a brave as me and we all know coomplainers rule the day. FWIW I worked at a dealerships as well. Both Ford and Dodge, they both have problem children...
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 03:38 AM

Overall I'm pretty happy with my 01 Ram 2500 CTD 4wd.
At 70 mph you don't even know there's a trailer back there.
I bought it used in June 09 with 122k on it.
I had to have l/s ball joints done then, they're being done again now (warranty) at 146k.
That's more a problem with the ball joints than the truck. I know they're rough on them, but only getting 24k out of them is pathetic.
At 130k it was running badly, of course it was the VP44 injection pump. After a new pump was installed it ran great again.

A buddy of mine uses Ford for his snow plow trucks and has constant problems with them.
I've worked on them for him and every time I'm cussing the whole time.
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 04:04 AM

I have two Dodges 99 2500 5.9 and 2007 Laramie dualie Mega Cab 6.7
nothing can pull uphill like either of them. the 99 runs the entire PA turnpike wich is uphill and never even gets out of High (5th) gear.The 6.7 loaded with twice the weight of my friends f450 outpulls it under any condidtions, I just bought a motorhome F650 chassis but Cummins 5.9 also
Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 04:59 AM

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 05:01 AM

Ok and....just sayin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmU2Vgh3Lrk
Posted By: pro6pakRR

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 05:21 AM

Quote:

The dodge is alot more money.

The question is why is the 02 Dodge a lot more then a 05 Ford?

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 05:40 AM

still ove this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELJ-TqahoEo and it was 2008....LOL
Posted By: sr4440

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 10:26 AM

I not sure what the OP wants, but in Texas here is a 2003 dually for $8000

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct...;standard=false

here's a bunch of 3500's

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresu...m=1301476637723

FYI Texas trucks are usually rust free

Joe
Posted By: fattire

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 11:55 AM

I have a 05 f350 P.S. and I love it I think it's like any thing else, when something goes wrong we want to talk to the president of the company and call everyone we know to tell them about it,but we never put that much energy in it when we have a good experience. As for me I think it's a great truck to bad we will not be able to drive them because of the price of fuel Ford ,Dodge,Chevy it just does not matter.
Posted By: bwdst6

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 12:35 PM

All diesel trucks from a given year run pretty much the same if they’re stock and nothing is wrong with them. Both the new Powerstrokes and Cummins are rated at over 800+ ft-lbs now. And it’s easy to get more power from any of them, just add more fuel! What you should be worried about is reliability and spending over $1k on replacement parts and getting stuck on the side of the road isn’t very reliable!

The Ford 6.0 injectors suck because they are way too complicated and run off of a high pressure oil pump located at the back of the engine’s valley area. The pressure is used to generate the force to inject the fuel. It’s an awful system!!!

The Cummins from year 98.5-02 use a Bosch VP-44 pump that’s just plan horrible. It was a stop gap measure used until they could go with a common rail set up.

Now anything from around 07 and later is a mess because of all the emissions equipment… DPF’s, CATs, NOx filters, EGR valves and now Urea injectors…

All that being said I unloaded a ‘99 Cummins after being sick of the injection pump issues and now have a ’07 Cummins 6.7 that mysteriously had its’ emission equipment fall off?
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 12:38 PM

Just got a new (to me)work truck from work. Real nice 07 f550.It had 82,000 miles on it.It now has 113,554 and only took two headgaskets,a egr cooler,one injector,and a right side charge pipe.It was only about 9500.00 dollars worth of repairs at the ford dealer in 35,000 miles of driving.Don't know how anyone would even think about buying a 6.0 or 6.4 ford truck.Great trucks worst deisel in history!I would buy a gas motor before a diesel ford.I personaly own a 06 quad cab 5.9 and tow a 26ft enclosed 9000 lbs(car,quad,gen,tools,etc)and love it never a problem with motor.Been to dealer for other problems but still love it and over the life of the truck 67,000 mi,I don't have one of the bills for the ford into the dodge.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 12:50 PM

And don't get me started on my previous work a f450 with a 7.3. Or the 100s of other 6.0 fords my company has.I think we have put in 40 or 50 motors in them.And its only 12,000.00 for a long block from ford. After 2007 my company will not buy ford diesels, it took us a few years of owning 6.0 and they gave up.We keep track of total repairs and we have f350s that it has taken 60 or 70,000 dollars to keep on the road to 200,000 miles.But we also have some that don't take that much service to go to 200,000 mi , its a crap shoot.But I really love them because I am a road mechanic for them and they give me job security!
Posted By: FlyFish

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 02:45 PM

I tow with a 2003 F350 KingRanch, 6.0 diesel, Crew Cab, SRW….I love the truck, TONS of power, pulls GREAT! It has 103,000 miles and has been very reliable. I have had one sensor go out…but that’s it besides the freak accident stuff like getting struck by lightning.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...&PHPSESSID=

BTW, it is all fixed now…~14000 bucks later…but none of it out of my pocket

I think if you find a good one, it’s a good one…on that same note, if you find one that has been plagued with problems, walk away. FWIW, mine is for sale (down sizing) but it is probably more than what you want to spend.

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 11:02 PM

Have driven mainly Dodge trucks my entire life and some fords thrown in between....my 2007 3500 Dually GMC 4x4 Duramax/Allison blows everyone of them out of the water.....it only has 80k on the clock, has never been back to the dealer....the power, ride, handling, interior comfort is like no truck I have ever owned....towed my 50' living qtrs trailer effortlessly....I'd put it up against any other brand in a heartbeat

Rickster
Posted By: nasty68

Re: Tow rigs - 03/30/11 11:31 PM

I have a 2000 f350 crewcab dually 4wd with 4.10's and a auto. I love this truck and so does the wife. One thing i can say is it is very comfortable and has not given me any troubles and has 168,000 on the clock. Gotta love the 7.3's, practically bulletproof. I mainly use it to tow the dart and to take the jeep up in the Pennsylvania mountains to go four wheeling. The wife sees a fifth wheel in the future.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Tow rigs - 03/31/11 12:01 AM

Quote:

Have driven mainly Dodge trucks my entire life and some fords thrown in between....my 2007 3500 Dually GMC 4x4 Duramax/Allison blows everyone of them out of the water.....it only has 80k on the clock, has never been back to the dealer....the power, ride, handling, interior comfort is like no truck I have ever owned....towed my 50' living qtrs trailer effortlessly....I'd put it up against any other brand in a heartbeat

Rickster

I've heard the same thing from a friend of mine, he owns a towing company. He had many different makes of diesels in the past. When he got his first duramax, he was pumped. Made me get it and take a ride. This was 3 or 4 years ago. Turns out the GMC class 6 truck has been the leader with that engine.
My brother now has one and I have driven it, it is awesome, feels like it could bust the tires loose at 30mph roll?
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Tow rigs - 03/31/11 01:09 AM

I have an 05 F350 in the fleet at work. Its a delivery truck that wieghs about 12K loaded and gets about 200 miles a day put on it mixed city and highway driveing. The 6.0 has great power, and the automatic trans is great! It even gets decent mileage(13ish). However if it hiccups, burps, or coughs it costs $2000 to repair easily. Its got 160K on it and its had, oil cooler, EGR bypass, turbo, 9 injectors, and its currently got something wrong with it as it has no power until it warms up and then its 100%. Since I know it will cost a min of $2000 to fix we just let it run for a few minutes before it gets used everyday lol.

Like I said its got 160K on it and its alway got wieght on it and is never unloaded. Other than a few parts that were recalled early on its not had any front end work and still drives like it has 10,000 miles on it.

Re: Tow rigs - 03/31/11 03:58 PM

I've always thought that if you could have a Ford Super Duty chassis/body......the good Cummins motor.....and an Alison Auto.....you would have the PERFECT truck.

Re: Tow rigs - 03/31/11 04:07 PM

Quote:

I've always thought that if you could have a Ford Super Duty chassis/body......the good Cummins motor.....and an Alison Auto.....you would have the PERFECT truck.

Posted By: Eric

Re: Tow rigs - 03/31/11 04:39 PM

I'm thinking my next truck will be a 99-02 7.3 Ford....they seem to be the most affordable and reliable.
Posted By: prostreet68

Re: Tow rigs - 03/31/11 04:47 PM

I have owned my 97 2500 5 speed since 2000. Since then I have do a few things to it for towing a 11k travel trailer. It has twin turbos,aftermarket injectors,3k governor springs,dual disk South Bend Clutch. All of this except the clutch has approx 100k on the upgrades. The truck has 300k on it and still starts and runs great.
12v trucks are easy to make power but 24v or Common Rails make power and you can control the smoke easier. Yes 24v trucks have that VP44 and lift pump issue of failure. Lift pump failure can be fixed with a FASS pump back close to the pump..
Mileage on the Cummins motors is not normally the problem..its all the sensors getting old that rears their ugly head.
If I were looking for another tow truck I would look for a common rail. Only issue is if you live in the state of Ca. you will have to smog it.
I was lucky with mine because they want 98 and newer smogged. Even though the first part of 98 was 12v.
Go figure.

Rick

Re: Tow rigs - 03/31/11 05:20 PM

Quote:

Since then I have do a few things to it for towing a 11k travel trailer. It has twin turbos...

That’s kind of like saying I need to upgrade to a 120mm smoothbore cannon so I can go duck huntin’!
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Tow rigs - 03/31/11 06:07 PM

I think the early Ford 6.0 had a bunch of issues, Ford had sued International because of all the problems and warranty work. I have heard this is why Ford went off and designed/manufactures the engines in the new Trucks? The late 2002/2003 7.4L Fords are pretty good.
I think the 2006 Dodge 5.9L was one of the best Truck years. I have a 2005 and it had some issues (Plastic ended intercooler, and door weather strip) that were fixed on the 2006 model.
The earlier models had an external fuel pump (lift pump) that would fail, Not sure when the fixed the "killer dowl pin" issue, and front track bar issue? The new 6.7L Trucks with the six-speed are really nice, but expensive.

Looking at Edmunds, it looks like a loaded 2006 larmie would be about $20,000?
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Tow rigs - 03/31/11 08:23 PM

I put about 20K miles driving an 04 F450 6.0L for one of my past jobs. Towed 5-15K+ all day long, literally all miles were towing. It left me on the road a few times, had to mcgyver it. Had all the normal head gasket issues and such.

Even the local Ford Dealer told me that they have to sell the 6.0's so cheap aka no resale value because everyone knows they're probably gonna have to pay big bucks for someone to fix them.

Otherwise, I like ford trucks, trans are better than the Dodges, arguably faster, 6.0's rep just ruins those trucks from 03-06 though.
Posted By: prostreet68

Re: Tow rigs - 03/31/11 08:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Since then I have do a few things to it for towing a 11k travel trailer. It has twin turbos...

That’s kind of like saying I need to upgrade to a 120mm smoothbore cannon so I can go duck huntin’!

Not really..I wanted enough air flowing at towing speed(60 mph) so I didnt run higher egts. With this combination I see 18-20lbs of boost and not over 750* or so egts. With my combo I should be 475-500 rear wheel hp.
I have towed lots of miles with a 35/40 modified turbo but with the upgraded injectors I did...I needed more air to feed them. You can run stock and still tow well.
Posted By: julian2007

Re: Tow rigs - 03/31/11 09:19 PM

how much are you towing? I use a 04 2500 hd with the 5.7 hemi to tow a 44 ft haulmark w/living quarters with no problems.It gets 10 mpg towing and pretty much as fast as you want to go.We haul a dragster,golf cart,50 gal of meth,70 gal of fresh water,tec 1000 mack tool box (full),100 qt cooler full of ice food and drinks,two honda eu 2000 generators,gen fuel,four people and a 60 lb dog.10 mpg and 75 mph all day long.Do you really need a diesel???
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Tow rigs - 03/31/11 09:38 PM

Quote:

how much are you towing? I use a 04 2500 hd with the 5.7 hemi to tow a 44 ft haulmark w/living quarters with no problems.It gets 10 mpg towing and pretty much as fast as you want to go.We haul a dragster,golf cart,50 gal of meth,70 gal of fresh water,tec 1000 mack tool box (full),100 qt cooler full of ice food and drinks,two honda eu 2000 generators,gen fuel,four people and a 60 lb dog.10 mpg and 75 mph all day long.Do you really need a diesel???

The diesel will get nearly twice the fuel mileage (loaded or unloaded) and have more towing power. I always had gas trucks and thought they were fine. Then I got my first diesel and will never go back to a gas truck.
Posted By: challenger1320

Re: Tow rigs - 03/31/11 09:46 PM

So your diesel truck gets 20 mpg pulling a 44 ft trailer fully loaded. That must be the most fuel efficent truck in the world.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Tow rigs - 03/31/11 09:50 PM

Quote:

So your diesel truck gets 20 mpg pulling a 44 ft trailer fully loaded. That must be the most fuel efficent truck in the world.

Friend of mine has a 2001 dodge 2500 Cummins that gets 19-20 mpg towing a 16k lb horse trailer at 80 mph on the interstate. 24-25 mpg unloaded.

We got 17 mpg towing a fully loaded 48' gooseneck car trailer up to E-town w/ a programmed '05 Duramax.

Re: Tow rigs - 03/31/11 09:51 PM

Quote:

Had one...please don't take this as a personal attack, but have to call BS unless you only tow downhill....

Rickster

Re: Tow rigs - 03/31/11 10:23 PM

6504 mason rd ft loramie ohio 45845 is my address You can ride with me to the Columbus event if it don't do what I say I give you 100 dollars if it does you give me 100 dollars and you have to tell everyone how cool my truck is.

Better yet I will put my go pro camera in the truck for the ride.
I should have did that when I went to the CURT GEORGE pitts race last year so you could see it pull those grades with ease!! ask challenger 1320 I went around him up a 3% grade at 85 mph and that's no BS.

also I have had a 96 3500 dodge 5.9 ctd,a 2004 dodge 3500 ctd,a 2000 renegade 13 lq with a 300 cat,and 2004 ford 350 power joak and unless you tow with it every day the math don't come out on the fuel savings verses the cost of owning a diesel truck like oil changes,fuel filters,fuel cost,injector cost,lift pump cost,main pump cost ect ect ect and 19 mph fully loaded is total BS,I know I owned them all and my buddies duromax is no better. DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR DODGE HEMI TRUCKS BEAT ANY DIESEL TRUCK.....

Re: Tow rigs - 03/31/11 11:49 PM

Quote:

6504 mason rd ft loramie ohio 45845 is my address You can ride with me to the Columbus event if it don't do what I say I give you 100 dollars if it does you give me 100 dollars and you have to tell everyone how cool my truck is.

Better yet I will put my go pro camera in the truck for the ride.
I should have did that when I went to the CURT GEORGE pitts race last year so you could see it pull those grades with ease!! ask challenger 1320 I went around him up a 3% grade at 85 mph and that's no BS.

also I have had a 96 3500 dodge 5.9 ctd,a 2004 dodge 3500 ctd,a 2000 renegade 13 lq with a 300 cat,and 2004 ford 350 power joak and unless you tow with it every day the math don't come out on the fuel savings verses the cost of owning a diesel truck like oil changes,fuel filters,fuel cost,injector cost,lift pump cost,main pump cost ect ect ect and 19 mph fully loaded is total BS,I know I owned them all and my buddies duromax is no better. DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR DODGE HEMI TRUCKS BEAT ANY DIESEL TRUCK.....

Did I comment about any diesel mpg's.....didn't think so. I towed a 50' LQ Trailer and the very best it ever got was 9mpg.....but with ease up any grade 7% grade in Tenn being the worst but effortless.

I have owned (2) 5.7's one a 1500 and one a 2500 I know very well what kind of gas mileage they get (LOUSY ESPECIALLY TOWING)

And my Duramax would eat your 5.7 for lunch (and mine as well except for the 1500 w/nitrous)

Rickster
Posted By: haddixj

Re: Tow rigs - 04/01/11 12:22 AM

That sounds like a heavy setup to tow with a hemi. But before the big diesel craze everybody had gas rigs they were just a little slower. But with that said I have a 12 valve cummins in a 90 F350 because the dodge truck is a giant POS. But If I had to choose I would go with a cummins and deal with the suspension problems. If you get a 2wd they wont have near the problems. If you have 15k cash to spend and dont live in Ca buy a superduty and a older 12 valve and swap it in and have the best of both worlds.

both bad pics but after the thing was done I didnt really take anymore. I am in the hunt for a set of superduty seats to update the interior.
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: Tow rigs - 04/01/11 12:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

thasts what my neighbor/chassis builder has a 350 dually king ranch with a cummins motor..has a head,cam and exhaust manifold with a bigger turbo makes 600hp 1300trq...
ive never ridden in it but he claims he smokes vettes with it...
its broken 2 heavily modified-upgraded ford transmissions...tows the race rig and or a 30ft camper with it..
cheapst
Posted By: 66Hemiwagon

Re: Tow rigs - 04/01/11 02:59 AM

OLD SCHOOL TOW RIG-1964 DODGE D500 W/413

Attached picture 6561331-6328537-5157620-MVC-002S.jpg

Re: Tow rigs - 04/01/11 03:18 AM

Well, I got to take the ford out for the better part of the day, and Im glad I did. The truck runs very good and I do like it. But as I drove it, I started to notice that when I rolled in to the gas it would not shift into high gear, then the rpm would go crazy and then it would shift. So after all was said and done Im getting a dodge that they just took in on trade. Its a 2009 mega cab one ton 2wd with a cap and all the fixings. It ran like a flippin beast. The best part is that it only has 26,000 miles on it. I got it for 19,900 then they gave me 4,500 for my 2003 1500 dodge. Im very happy so far and as far as I can tell it runs as well as the ford. So all in all Im gald the for the ford getting me to stop or I would gave never known bout the dodge coming in. Thanks guys for all your input on the different trucks.

Re: Tow rigs - 04/01/11 03:25 AM

Sounds like a good deal to me!!
Posted By: haddixj

Re: Tow rigs - 04/01/11 03:51 AM

awesome deal. But check into DTR or cumminsforum and do some reading about the DPF and EGR delete.

Re: Tow rigs - 04/01/11 03:54 AM

Will do, and thanks again to all that responded.. It was a great help.
Posted By: 506RR

Re: Tow rigs - 04/01/11 03:56 AM

I always had gas trucks and thought they were fine. Then I got my first diesel and will never go back to a gas truck.

Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Tow rigs - 04/01/11 04:00 AM

Is the 09 a 6.7? Completely different beast than the 5.9. I had a 95 5.9 and traded up for and 08 with the 6.7, night and day difference. You will be happy with the Cummins
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: Tow rigs - 04/01/11 04:05 AM

what and no pictures?
if its white...than its basically exactly what iam looking for.
sounds good and seems like a fair price as ive shopped alot...good mileage and the mega..seems good price....have fun..
cheapst

Re: Tow rigs - 04/01/11 04:11 AM

Yes 6.7, and I will get a pic up as soon as I can. Been busy with the truck and now Im working two jobs to help pay for the beast. The wife wants a new car now. So I have to try and get it paid off fast than normal. No its not white, its siliver. Its a pretty good looking truck, so we'll see how much I like it over my gas truck.
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: Tow rigs - 04/01/11 04:40 AM

It amazes me when I read some of the prices available other places. It's not that way here. The dealers that deal in late model 3/4 and 1 ton trucks buy up as many Fords and Dodges they can. Buy them from out of state and stick huge prices on them. I just looked at a nice 2008 Ram 2500 diesel, crew cab, 4X4 with 61K mi and they wanted $34K for the thing. People buy the used 6.0 Fords like there are no more.

Re: Tow rigs - 04/01/11 11:37 AM

Quote:

Not really..I wanted enough air flowing at towing speed(60 mph) so I didnt run higher egts. With this combination I see 18-20lbs of boost and not over 750* or so egts. With my combo I should be 475-500 rear wheel hp.
I have towed lots of miles with a 35/40 modified turbo but with the upgraded injectors I did...I needed more air to feed them. You can run stock and still tow well.

Did you first try an aftermarket intercooler? It’s about half the price of a twin turbo set up.

My 6.7 still has EGTs in the 1400’s, which even though the 6.7’s can handle the heat better it’s too high for my comfort. I’ve done all my deletes and the last thing was relocating the restrictive heater grid. I’ll have to wait until I start towing again but my next move will be an intercooler if neccessary!

Re: Tow rigs - 04/01/11 01:06 PM

I was not talking about you on the mpg of 19 it was the guy before you I did not feel like wasting a hole other reply on such fabricated garbage talk. I would hope your truck could eat my trucks a$$ for lunch with how much more you paid for it.Mine works fine for me and why would I lie about its performance its not like I sell them. maybe your truck could kick my trucks A$$ but my Dad could kick Your Dads A$$

Re: Tow rigs - 04/01/11 01:10 PM

Stop typing and go paint something
Posted By: dragram440

Re: Tow rigs - 04/01/11 02:31 PM

I have a 03 Ford f-250 7.3 edge programmer that towing on the highway gets 12 to 15 max down hill and I just got a 04 Ram 3500 Hemi which I havent even got to tow with yet. Where I was going with this is we go west snowmobiling every year about 18 hour drive and with the o3 7.3 best ever was 12 mpg, The other guy that goes drives a 04 ram 2500 6 speed cummins and the best he gets with that is 13 mpg and we drive about 70-75 mph. Maybe you can get 20 mpg with a diesel not towing driving 55 or slower.

Re: Tow rigs - 04/01/11 02:37 PM

I think he just does't know how to do the math or maybe he is using that new fangled metric stuff.
Posted By: 87MO DAK

Re: Tow rigs - 04/01/11 03:42 PM

89 2wd Cummins ,25 around town ,20 towing ..well pretty much
anything .Dodge diesel's need a better converter to get good milage.

Attached picture 6562185-rev_02.jpg
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Tow rigs - 04/01/11 04:35 PM

I've had gas and diesel trucks and prefer the diesels. Fuel mileage is about double what my V10 got and the diesel is 4WD. I could get 25 or better towing an open trailer with my 89 Cummins. The 06 gets about 12 pulling a 30' enclosed, the V10 was lucky to get 7.

As for the Ford, some guys like them, I hate to work on them, they suck, the Cummins is much easier to work on.

Re: Tow rigs - 04/01/11 05:23 PM

Quote:

As for the Ford, some guys like them, I hate to work on them, they suck, the Cummins is much easier to work on.

Have you ever needed to work on removing/installing the #6 injector lines or injectors?
Posted By: 64_Plymouth

Re: Tow rigs - 04/01/11 05:54 PM

02 Dodge Cummins - 193,000 miles. Engine, Trans, Fuel System & Exhaust upgrades. I tow my 28' enclosed all over the country and drive the truck every day to and from work. I also have competed in some local truck pulls at the county fairs - 20-24 mpg empty, 12-16 towing (depending on if I go over 75mph). Burned up 1 injection pump and had to replace the water pump about 5,000 miles ago. Other than that the truck has only received routine maintenance. The Cummins engine is the best performing engine out there.

Oh yeah, I also let a buddy take it down the strip once with a BBQ and my truck box full of cement tools in the bed....it went 12.96
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Tow rigs - 04/01/11 06:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Have you ever needed to work on removing/installing the #6 injector lines or injectors?

Yes I have, I'm a Chrysler tech, not even close to working on the Ford.

Re: Tow rigs - 04/01/11 07:03 PM

Quote:

Well, I got to take the ford out for the better part of the day, and Im glad I did. The truck runs very good and I do like it. But as I drove it, I started to notice that when I rolled in to the gas it would not shift into high gear, then the rpm would go crazy and then it would shift. So after all was said and done Im getting a dodge that they just took in on trade. Its a 2009 mega cab one ton 2wd with a cap and all the fixings. It ran like a flippin beast. The best part is that it only has 26,000 miles on it. I got it for 19,900 then they gave me 4,500 for my 2003 1500 dodge. Im very happy so far and as far as I can tell it runs as well as the ford. So all in all Im gald the for the ford getting me to stop or I would gave never known bout the dodge coming in. Thanks guys for all your input on the different trucks.

Great deal, I thought the newer trucks would be well over $20K. That truck should run great, I think they had fixed the DPF issue by 2009.
The newer 6.7 get less mialage than the earlier 5.9 cummins, but also had alot more power, and the VVT turbo works well for an exhaust brake when that mode is selected.
TDR (Turbo Diesel Register) is a great source of information:
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/
Posted By: Jacob Pitt

Re: Tow rigs - 04/01/11 08:00 PM

Not to steal the topic or anything but I have a '06 Megacab Cummins and was wondering what kind of trans upgrades have you guys done? Who makes a good converter for them?
Posted By: 64_Plymouth

Re: Tow rigs - 04/01/11 08:29 PM

DTT Trans is a great place. That's where mine came from.

http://www.dieseltrans.com/dodge/transmission_components.htm

Suncoast is another place you might want to check out.
Posted By: 87MO DAK

Re: Tow rigs - 04/01/11 08:50 PM

Suncoast is what I have ,real real tight .Just make sure
with the newer trucks,that have lock up converter's that you buy
at least a triple disc clutch lock up converter.

Re: Tow rigs - 04/02/11 06:15 AM

Quote:

Not to steal the topic or anything but I have a '06 Megacab Cummins and was wondering what kind of trans upgrades have you guys done? Who makes a good converter for them?

I hear you, the 48RE is pretty decent, but the converter is way too loose. I have been thinking of getting an ATS 5-star converter. ATS is here in Denver, so I can just drive to their shop and get one. Really, I have been waiting for the trans to need a rebuild, and then I'll get the converter and modify the trans at the same time, but so far I've had no problems with the transmission, only have 75,000 miles on the truck.
Posted By: RonP

Re: Tow rigs - 04/02/11 01:14 PM

Just like converters in our cars, you will get a million different opinions. I have a billet Goerend trans in mine and it has been used and abused and abused. All the companies mentioned make great products from what i have seen.

I won't even touch the mileage thing or hemi thing. It is worse than 8 3/4 vs 9inch.
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: Tow rigs - 04/03/11 04:53 PM

Guys, how difficult is it to install a Cummins to replace a Ford 6.0?? Do you need a diesel mechanic to do it?? Just wondering I found a nice 2004 Ford pretty cheap!!

Re: Tow rigs - 04/04/11 04:57 AM

Just google power stroke to cummins conversion. It's pretty popular swap. The parts manager at the Dodge dealer even had a list of the common parts needed to do the swap.
http://www.fordcummins.com/99-ford-conversion-overview.html
© 2024 Moparts Forums