Moparts

Installing Hydraulic lifters

Posted By: mshred

Installing Hydraulic lifters - 03/29/11 07:45 PM

When installing hydraulic lifters, whether they be flat tappet or roller, should I install the lifters pumped up or drained of oil totally? How do you guys do it? I am resusing all my old hydraulic roller lifters and was just curious about correct method for reinstalling. I know the oil holes on the lifters should be facing the camshaft, but im unsure on installing them pumped up or not

thanks
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Installing Hydraulic lifters - 03/29/11 08:34 PM

I like to put in a few squirts of oil so they are not dry , when you install the valvetrain the pushrod will pus out as much as they need to.
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Installing Hydraulic lifters - 03/29/11 08:56 PM

sure I wipe some kind of lubricant on the outside of the lifters. But I dont like to have them full of oil. Unless you dont care about measure or looking at lifter pre-load. Which most dont, but later complain about how noisy the valve train is on the Comp XE cams.. LOL
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Installing Hydraulic lifters - 03/29/11 09:45 PM

i install hydraulics dry, which makes it really easy to measure/verify preload, then i run the oil pump to pump 'em up.
Posted By: Mills

Re: Installing Hydraulic lifters - 03/29/11 10:35 PM

Quote:

i install hydraulics dry, which makes it really easy to measure/verify preload, then i run the oil pump to pump 'em up.

trying to adjust rockers on hydrualics with oil in them will usually lead you to an incorrect setting.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Installing Hydraulic lifters - 03/29/11 10:38 PM

Comp Cams says not to pump them up before installing.

Re: Installing Hydraulic lifters - 03/29/11 10:51 PM

Quote:

this seems like consensus then...I will install them dry to set lifter preload...and then after that before starting up the engine is priming the oiling system enough to get oil to the lifters for when the engine is first fired up? or after setting preload should I add some oil to the lifters?
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Installing Hydraulic lifters - 03/29/11 11:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

this seems like consensus then...I will install them dry to set lifter preload...and then after that before starting up the engine is priming the oiling system enough to get oil to the lifters for when the engine is first fired up? or after setting preload should I add some oil to the lifters?

if you run the oil pump for a minute or so, the lifters will be good to go. probably a good idea to turn the engine also.

Re: Installing Hydraulic lifters - 03/30/11 02:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

if you run the oil pump for a minute or so, the lifters will be good to go. probably a good idea to turn the engine also.

sounds good
© 2024 Moparts Forums