Moparts

TRAILER TOAD anyone use one

Posted By: HEMIFRED

TRAILER TOAD anyone use one - 03/23/11 08:11 PM

Looks like there's one in my future. The Funmover has a good deal of overhang combined with heavy tongue weight of a stacker. With it pulling a stacker I expect it not to follow like towing a single car 28" would with a dualie.

what can you tell me about having one
Posted By: tboomer

Re: TRAILER TOAD anyone use one - 03/23/11 08:17 PM

Can't tell ya much,Fred...But I see a lot of them at the track..
Posted By: Garceau

Re: TRAILER TOAD anyone use one - 03/23/11 08:17 PM

Fred-

I can tell you not from personal experience but know many that have them and LOVE them.

Jok is a racer, writes for his own website and columns and a previous track owner. So he understands what these are about and the reasons he developed them.

Everyone I know loves them, and there is only issues when backing up you need to take care of.

They talk about them often on DRR if you want to take a look over there. I do believe Jok even pays contingency on them for any race, not just certain ones.
Posted By: The Avg. Valiant

Re: TRAILER TOAD anyone use one - 03/23/11 08:20 PM

My mechanic has one and liked it so much he became a dealer for them. He says he would recommend for anyone even thinking about it.
Posted By: SuperStockWagon

Re: TRAILER TOAD anyone use one - 03/24/11 12:45 AM

I have a new one that will be put to use this season..I talked with several current racers using them before buying one and mostly all positive feedback..mine is going behind a 3500 Cummins w/12ft overhead camper.

The only thing that I could come up with negative was having to get out and manually locking the units steering for backing up..but really not to big of a deal.

I think getting the latest model with 15" wheels and tires would be a huge plus to consider.

Re: TRAILER TOAD anyone use one - 03/24/11 12:58 AM

I spoke to Jok yesterday and he recommended his new unit
Posted By: oldiron

Re: TRAILER TOAD anyone use one - 03/24/11 02:06 AM

Spoke w/someone in UMTR who said he loved it, but have to carry 2 spares because the tires ride in the middle of the land and tend to pick up junk in the tires
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: TRAILER TOAD anyone use one - 03/24/11 02:12 AM

Any pics of what your looking to get?
Sounds cool

Re: TRAILER TOAD anyone use one - 03/24/11 02:54 AM

Quote:

Sounds cool

OF THE TOAD
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: TRAILER TOAD anyone use one - 03/24/11 02:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Sounds cool

OF THE TOAD OR TRAILER

trailer. sounds very very cool. I never heard of it.
Posted By: joshking440

Re: TRAILER TOAD anyone use one - 03/24/11 03:22 AM

I think this belongs in the general section........

Re: TRAILER TOAD anyone use one - 03/24/11 09:46 AM

Quote:

NO THEY DON'T WANT OUR ANIMALS OVER THERE

HOW MANY DO YOU THINK EVEN HAVE A TRAILER OTHER THAN THE ONE WHERE THEY LIVE
Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Re: TRAILER TOAD anyone use one - 03/24/11 11:56 AM

That's pretty cold, Fred. And no, I don't live in a trailer. I'm fortunate enough to own a nice house. I do have a very nice 5th wheel camper that the wife and I are thinking of full-timing in when we retire.

Tim
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: TRAILER TOAD anyone use one - 03/24/11 01:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

NO THEY DON'T WANT OUR ANIMALS OVER THERE

HOW MANY DO YOU THINK EVEN HAVE A TRAILER OTHER THAN THE ONE WHERE THEY LIVE

Yup I live in a house too, but I have friends who live in moble homes and they are great people too.
Posted By: 70RTRacer

Re: TRAILER TOAD anyone use one - 03/24/11 02:05 PM

Fred,

I had one with my class A and loved it. We even used it with the stacker and the class A. It works great.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: TRAILER TOAD anyone use one - 03/24/11 06:53 PM

Quote:

That's pretty cold, Fred.

My thoughts, too. No wonder Moparts is often bashed as being a clique...now a clique within a clique.
Posted By: mack

Re: TRAILER TOAD anyone use one - 03/25/11 01:01 AM

Hey Fred, just a different point of view... I have a Tuff Tow... Its very simular to the Trailer Toad.. But mine is attached inside the frame rails of the trailer. Still have to pin it to back up but this unit does not make your rig any longer... But does the same for the tongue weight... I have used mine for 5 years now and love it... See Shogun Industries website... As I said before just another way of doing the same thing... If you are interested pm me an e-mail and will send you photos.. Can't hurt to see all the options...

Re: TRAILER TOAD anyone use one - 03/25/11 03:25 AM

Quote:

Looks like there's one in my future. The Funmover has a good deal of overhang combined with heavy tongue weight of a stacker. With it pulling a stacker I expect it not to follow like towing a single car 28" would with a dualie.

what can you tell me about having one

Fred,
Here is a shot of my new Toad with 15" tires.

Attached picture 6548018-TrailerToad2.JPG

Re: TRAILER TOAD anyone use one - 03/25/11 03:27 AM

Another

Attached picture 6548024-TrailerToad1.JPG
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: TRAILER TOAD anyone use one - 03/25/11 03:42 AM

Fred, you mean that truck cant carry the load... my
OPINION those are a bandaid to carry the load... have
you looked at reinforcing the frame.... I am sure
you looked at the MAX lift bar hitches... I have a
buddy that had a similar set up and it toadded poorly,
that unit was ALWAYS trying to wander and wore out
the tires....... I've never owner one so this is just
a observation
Posted By: 3404

Re: TRAILER TOAD anyone use one - 03/25/11 09:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Sounds cool

OF THE TOAD

The most important thing that is missing in that picture is the 2 extra bars they now recommend that go from the outside corners of the frame to the back of you hitch. Then you will have three attachment points between the Toad and the hitch.

You wouldnt believe the side load that thing will put on your hitch when you back up with the wheels locked in place.
I had a "decent" hitch on a used motorhome I bought and it snapped the tube the hitch slides into clean off when I was backing out of my pit spot. That Sucked!

When backing up with the wheels locked it forces the tires of the Toad to skid as they slide sideways and with the tongue weight pushing down on the Toad it literally wants to break stuff.

Dont get me wrong I too like the Toad and it's far from any kind of Band Aid since it takes all the load and bounce off the MotorHome. No difference than the dual and triple semi trailers on the highways.

Eric
Posted By: PolyDart

Re: TRAILER TOAD anyone use one - 03/26/11 01:17 AM

Quote:

I've got a 4500lb Lance 11.5 ft camper in the bed of our Dodge Dually. The camper over hangs the rear hitch by a few feet... I've been pulling our 4x4 on a trailer for nearly 10 years traveling cross country several times. This is what I use

http://www.torklift.com/t.php?w_page=superhitch

http://www.torklift.com/t.php?w_page=supertruss

Works like a champ...
© 2024 Moparts Forums