Moparts

motorhome vrs living quarters

Posted By: cold85

motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/22/11 07:20 PM

So i can not make up my mind I sold my 38ft trailer and I either am going to buy a trailer with living quarters or an older rv and smaller trailer. I have a 03 dually diesel now. I am looking to spend less than 20k. I only plan on spending a few nights in it a year and most will be local track just need somewhere for the kids and wife during down time so I am kinda leaning toward a 44-48 trailer. any opinons
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/22/11 07:32 PM

I have a LQ trailer... I like it... if I want it can
sleep 4 but I prefer only 2 so the couch stays closed.
Mine is a 43' home made

Attached picture 6543640-Trailer2.JPG
Posted By: lorenr

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/22/11 07:40 PM

Quality Motor Homes have taken a much bigger beating than homes in Las Vegas. It seems people will sell their RV before losing their home to foreclosure.

The problem with motor homes is that their quality and road worthyness is all over the board. I've seen heavy duty diesel pushers with everything ready for towing a box trailer and 60,000 miles sell for less than a two year old Class C that is worthless for towing. The MPG wasn't that much different.

Go figure.

Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/22/11 07:43 PM

Locally I tow with my 2006 Dodge diesel but if we go for anything longer than a one day race we take the motorhome. Its a 27 ft class C with a 460 engine and tows like a pig but I love having it at the track. Heat,Air conditioning,toilet,bed,crapper,microwave,stove,refrig. Those afternoon naps are GREAT. My trailer is only 24ft and PA is pretty hilly but it gets me there. If you buy one check the rear frame because most of them are not beefy enough to haul the weight we do but its an easy fix. Your wife or girl friend will love you for buying one.
Plus having a shower. How the heck could I forget about the shower.
Posted By: Chassisman

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/22/11 07:57 PM

Ibeat my brains out on this one years ago. I ended up with the trailer over the RV. Trailer was cheaper to maintain.Cheaper to insure and register. And here's the biggie.....once at the track....your STUCK...what happens if you need to run to town?....or...like this last weekend in Bakersfield. Event was postponed one week....instead of hauling it all home....dumped the trailer and cruised back in my dually. RV's are great if you use them for more than racing. My Dad uses and RV...he's finally starting to realize the truck trailer combo is more practical.
Posted By: BeEtLeJuIcE !

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/22/11 08:03 PM

Quote:

I've seen heavy duty diesel pushers with everything ready for towing a box trailer and 60,000 miles sell for less than a two year old Class C that is worthless for towing.

EXAMPLES please ! ...... I just might broom-out my Mopar powered Discoverer motorhome !
Posted By: Chassisman

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/22/11 08:05 PM

Here's a great deal http://www.racingjunk.com/category/146/U...g-quarters.html

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/22/11 08:17 PM

Quote:

Here's a great deal http://www.racingjunk.com/category/146/U...g-quarters.html

sent that guy a pm asking for more pics and cargo length. thanks
Posted By: Phil Saran

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/22/11 08:34 PM

Can I throw a little more wood on this camp fire?

I tow with a 2004 Ford F350 diesel and tow a 18 ft open
car trailer with a 5 ft tall box on the front.

I added a 9'-11" cab over camper, has all the amenities
of a MH just a little smaller. Mine is a 2001 and cost
less than $6K in 2010.

BUT if you go bigger than a 8' camper then you get into
hitch extensions and air bags ($$$).
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/22/11 08:40 PM

You can get a smaller RV if it's beefy enough to do the towing you need. I've seen those things have taken a hard hit on price lately.
Posted By: mistress

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/22/11 08:49 PM

I did the motorhome thing 34 ft (460 ford power) pulling a 24ft enclosed. yes it always got me where i wanted to go but it was gutless, had horrible fuel milage, was another vehicle to insure and maintain and if you wanted to go somewhere after you were setup you had to depend on somebody taking you. the motorhome was roomier for sure but i sold it and bought a 40ft goose with quarters and my cummins dually pulls it very well. Trailer with quarters gets my vote...
Posted By: Kindafast

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/22/11 09:04 PM

I never had a trailer with living quarters but I have seen a bunch. While they are very nice , I say buy a Motorhome. Reason being it's real comfortable , Has it's own power and water system and it can be used for more than a race weekend with the bud's. We use our 35' motorhome a lot ,for more than racing and I wouldn't have it any other way. My motorhome has the big block chevy 502 crate engine in it and tows it's butt off. I have never had a problem towing my trailer even in the mountians. It does have it's bad points like mileage and finding a place to turn around. Even with the drawbacks I couldn't imagine towing with anything else.
Posted By: 47hudson

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/22/11 09:22 PM

We tow with a Motorhome and really enjoy it. Going up the hwy you can use the restroom make a sandwich etc. One of the biggest benifits to a Motorhome is a hyd. leveling jacks! I hate to try and cook and sleep when the place is unlevel! I saw several guys at the Hot Rod Reunion parked way out of level with their living quarters trailers and I just thought thats gotta suck.

Attached picture 6543764-090725_134455.jpg
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/22/11 10:01 PM

I just bought this one and leave for Roanoke in the morning to pick it up.also I intend to buy a stacker.
I will still keep my dualie and trailer for certain events

Attached picture 6543809-10127768_2002_Four_Winds_Fun_Mover.jpg
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/22/11 10:18 PM

Quote:

I just bought this one and leave for Roanoke in the morning to pick it up.also I intend to buy a stacker.

I'm suggesting a dual dualie.
Possibilty to upgrade to a Schubeck 904 in the future too....?

Posted By: BeEtLeJuIcE !

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/22/11 10:22 PM

Quote:

Hey FREDster .... you thinking maybe a triple-HEMI-engined Apache OFFSHORE boat NEXT ?
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 01:03 AM

That looks like a very fast garbage can in your post Mr P
Posted By: Eric

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 01:19 AM

I have an older 23ft Winnie Class A that I use for multiple day events...It's old...sucks gas..and smells according to Heather ..but it's been paid for since the day I bought it in 03' and it keeps me warm and dry at the track. The 454 doesn't even know my 18ft enclosed is behind it and it has towed as big as a 26ft box.

That being said...I have been thinking of a truck camper or a LQ trailer in the future.

One thing to think of...if my truck won't start...I always have the Winnie to get me there..

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 02:14 AM

Quote:

That looks like a very fast garbage can in your post Mr P

It was... I was painting parts on it
Posted By: dartman366

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 02:45 AM

bought a POS 27ft winnebago last year and did a bunch of fixin' to make it road worthy,, used it a couple of times,,,while it kind of neat and nice to have all the amenities of home, I really don't think it's my cup of tea,,probably finish fixin a few thing's and sell it and get a bigger trailer with the living quarter's and pull it with my dually.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 02:49 AM

No question for me. I looked into the living quarters trailer, Toter and motorhome. I prefer the ammenities of the coach over all others. IMO a living quarters trailer is a "uni tasker", meaning it is not really set up to be a home away from home for days or weeks at a time. The toter's are nice and have plenty of power. But from most I have seen were set up for racing. Meaning the ability sleep many and keep people happy at the track but not as nice as a Class A. Also the tend to "stick out" more to certain folks than a motorhome will. I went with the class A becuase it had plenty of power to get me to the track. Is like a home away from home, and the ability to take it wherever we like and get away. Yes the big down side is not having the ability to easily unhook and run to town. But I have not found an issue with that. If something comes up and we have the need to go to town we have never not been able to find a way.
Posted By: 80arrow

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 02:51 AM

You already have ins and maint. on a truck, use that for a trailer with l/q. A motor home is just another thing to do maintenance on and to insure. My dad has a trailer with l/q and I think that is the way to go. We don't spend that much time inside anyways so its plenty big.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 02:53 AM

To each his own I suppose. Stacker is next on my agenda. It makes those multi day Divisional and Mopar racers much nicer
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 02:58 AM

Air mattress and sleeping bag in the bed of a pickup truck. Ah, yes, we're living the high life.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 03:01 AM

Quote:

You already have ins and maint. on a truck, use that for a trailer with l/q. A motor home is just another thing to do maintenance on and to insure. My dad has a trailer with l/q and I think that is the way to go. We don't spend that much time inside anyways so its plenty big.

I only did the motorhome thing because my wife started going with me and it is a little more comfy and private, but I think she is agreeable with the l/q trailer, if she get's to decorate.

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 03:04 AM

Quote:

To each his own I suppose. Stacker is next on my agenda. It makes those multi day Divisional and Mopar racers much nicer

Your set-up is awsome. It would be way better than l/q in a trailer. I'd love to have it but I'm pretty sure my wife would kill me if I brought something like that home. She wasen't to happy when I bought a used 26 foot enclosed trailer.

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 03:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I only did the motorhome thing because my wife started going with me and it is a little more comfy and private, but I think she is agreeable with the l/q trailer, if she get's to decorate.

I have a 26 foot enclosed trailer that my wife and I stay in at the track, along with the car and 2 dogs. Cozy Someday we'll get a trailer with actual l/q. We had a POS motorhome for 2 years, it worked but I was always trying to fix something, insure it, tires, pretty much a headache. It started on fire one evening becuase of the wiring the previous owner did for a radio. If we would have spent the $ on a good one that probably would have been different. They are more comfy but a trailer is a better set-up for us.

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 03:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Hey FREDster .... you thinking maybe a triple-HEMI-engined Apache OFFSHORE boat NEXT ?

no water sports for me

I have too many toys now and need to thin the herd
My 2005 CTS-V Caddy,a 1935 Auburn boattail,
Duster Dave's car, two Harleys , 28' classic dominator
and 2007 mega cab Laramie are all going up for sale as are all of my parts

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 03:35 AM

I have a 26 foot enclosed trailer that my wife and I stay in at the track, along with the car and 2 dogs. Cozy Someday we'll get a trailer with actual l/q. We had a POS motorhome for 2 years, it worked but I was always trying to fix something, insure it, tires, pretty much a headache. It started on fire one evening becuase of the wiring the previous owner did for a radio. If we would have spent the $ on a good one that probably would have been different. They are more comfy but a trailer is a better set-up for us.

I use to stay in my sleeper(semi sleeper) mounted
to my Dodge duallie... that was pretty small but
worked... pulled a 26' box and slept in there also
with the car under the awning... then the LQ trailer
I can say for what I have into the trailer its works
for me.... my wallet isnt $150,000 lighter.... or MORE

Attached picture 6544485-DSC00074.JPG
Posted By: Kam*Kuda

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 04:13 AM

Quote:

Mine is a 43' home made

Was it difficult to add the washroom facilities?

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 04:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Mine is a 43' home made

Was it difficult to add the washroom facilities?

No... it has a shower and I have a porta pottie in
there... has a kitchen area with a sink, frig, micro,
TV, AC and heat, couch and a bed in the V in front...
not all that fancy but does what I want... I normally
cook on the BBQ outside and most of the time eat
out there on a fold up table... a couple of chairs
and thats about it for the front LQ section... on
ANY trailer I would suggest a awning... best thing
there is when there's no shade around
Posted By: rowin4

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 05:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm suggesting a dual dualie.
Possibilty to upgrade to a Schubeck 904 in the future too....?

I could go for the dual dually, nice truck Pull in with that and there'd be more people looking at it than your car.
Posted By: sr4440

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 06:03 AM

Ok, I have had both a 30ft MH and a 28ft trailer and a 03 dually and a 53ft trailer. They both have advantages and disadvantages, but the one thing no one has talked about is a driver’s license. Big trailer with a dually = CDL, hell a small 10,000 trailer you need a CDL, but not if your pulling it with a MH.

Just my 2 cents

Joe
Posted By: pro6pakRR

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 06:29 AM

I have a 2500 V10 Ram and a 32 ft Hallmark Edge .We sleep in the trailer we have everything we need

Attached picture 6544693-IMG00209.jpg
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 08:27 AM

I don't have much to offer on this really but this. I rode in a friends 36' diesel pusher a few months back with his 38' boat hooked to it. The combo was over 70ft and I was really impressed with how well it got around. The overhang on the back lets the trailer follow alot different than I thought it would. I just rode on a test drive with him for a few miles around town and a little on the highway and was amazed how easy it was to navigate. With the big cummins and air brakes the only way to tell that boat was there was to see it on the camera. It made the MH trailer combos make alot more sense to me. I had no idea they would be that easy to get around in.
Posted By: Brandon70cuda

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 08:54 AM

Quote:

I have a 2500 V10 Ram and a 32 ft Hallmark Edge .We sleep in the trailer we have everything we need

That trailer looks more like a 12x60 or 14x70 to me

Sorry I couldn't resist. Shouldn't that be a you might be a racer if joke? You might be a racer if your car trailer is newer then your house trailer!

Btw not being a d*ck and ripping on ya for the house trailer. The best part of my life was spent living in a trailer park so I'm not some snob that looks down on trailers. Looking hard at moving into my RV full time actually but that's a whole other topic.

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 12:19 PM

Quote:

Ok, I have had both a 30ft MH and a 28ft trailer and a 03 dually and a 53ft trailer. They both have advantages and disadvantages, but the one thing no one has talked about is a driver’s license. Big trailer with a dually = CDL, hell a small 10,000 trailer you need a CDL, but not if your pulling it with a MH.

Just my 2 cents

Joe

Thats a good point. Around here if your trailer is not all stickered up or has "So and So Racing" on the side they pretty much leave you alone, so far. And if you say your going to a car show with no chance of winning $, then I don't think you need a CDL. I could be way wrong on this and if I am someone will let me know. I would like to know for sure tho so if I need a CDL in the future I can get one.
Posted By: RonTheAnnouncer

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 12:36 PM

Here's my motorhome when I go to multiple day races:

It's also my race car and pit vehicle as well. 1/8 mile dial, BTW!
Posted By: mopar376d

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 12:54 PM

My 2

I prefer the trailer with living quarters and have had both. If money wasn't a object I would have a motorhome diesel pusher with slides but can't justify it. All we do is basically sleep in it and have a shower. I like towing with it better and get better mileage.

Attached picture 6544824-04duallygooseneck.JPG
Posted By: julian2007

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 01:07 PM

trailer!!!!!!!!!!!! We built are own living quarters it was half the money and twice the quality.The factory lq's are pretty cheep unless you really drop some coin

Attached picture 6544836-101_0370.JPG

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 01:11 PM

one more

Attached picture 6544842-101_0371.JPG
Posted By: Garceau

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 01:13 PM

Have 29 ft class C with V10 and it pulled my trailer no issues.

Had to resupport the rear frame, it has been a race tow vehicle since it was new. Its a 97 with 50K miles on it. I havent used it lately as I havent raced in a long time. But with the economy I wasnt going to give it away to get rid of it.

With the Class C you lose alot of inside space, the front area takes up alot of the length. It was pretty small for 4 of us at a divisional. But when its just the wife and I, it works great.

She can get away from some of the noise and heat at times. It made racing much more enjoyable for her.

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 01:14 PM

Got any inside pis? I thought about doing l/q myself in a trailer in the future but don'rt really know where to start. I can build houses but don't really have a clue as to trailers and where to get materials for the inside.
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 04:04 PM

I smile when people say they just stay in the trailer. In this part of the country there are periods of the year when that's impossible. The mosquitos will carry you off. I haven't seen a trailer yet with screens on the doors. Even with an old motor home I carry an insect fogger to spray around and under the MH and trailer and sometime that doesn't even help. An old motor home sure loves the gas but it's sure nice for those 2 to 4 day races.
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 05:29 PM

Quote:

Air mattress and sleeping bag in the bed of a pickup truck. Ah, yes, we're living the high life.

sleeping bag in the trunk of my car.

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 05:39 PM

I will take some after work.I had a custom cabinet maker make all the wood work (he owed me for painting his truck),bought a shower from lowes,took off all the out side skins and installed r6 foam board ( very important),a/c / heat pump and all other camper stuff from "big discount rv".Bought used windows from a camper dealer,fridge from menards.Look at a factory lq trailer they are pretty much slapped together.If you can build a house you can kick this things a$$.
Bruce
Posted By: pro6pakRR

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 06:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That trailer looks more like a 12x60 or 14x70 to me

Sorry I couldn't resist. Shouldn't that be a you might be a racer if joke? You might be a racer if your car trailer is newer then your house trailer!

Btw not being a d*ck and ripping on ya for the house trailer. The best part of my life was spent living in a trailer park so I'm not some snob that looks down on trailers. Looking hard at moving into my RV full time actually but that's a whole other topic.

It's a 14x60 that I rent out.Mine's on the other side of the car trailer.It a 14x70.We are not in a park,have 4 acre's.That's ok don't feel ripped on.Best thing is that the rental unit pay's 90% of my house payment and all my taxes.This is my house.you can just see the back corner

Attached picture 6545256-IMG00208.jpg

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 08:01 PM

Quote:

Had to resupport the rear frame,

that seems to be common and done to many motor homes. I am ordering a TrailerToad for not only supporting the trailer weight but due to the long overhang it will change the way it follows and turns. Gone will be the tendency of the trailer not taking the same turning radius as the tow vehicle
Posted By: tboomer

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/23/11 08:04 PM

Quote:

that seems to be common and done to many motor homes. I am ordering a TrailerToad for not only supporting the trailer weight but due to the long overhang it will change the way it follows and turns. Gonw will be the tendency of the trailer not taking the same turning radius as the tow vehicle

Fred...They are local to me...Want it delivered??
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/24/11 01:31 AM

Depends as well on what else you want to use it for. If only for racing, the lq trailers can be decent, however I have seen some factory lq trailers that were very, very spartan inside. Some countertop area, cabinets and a bed and that's it. If you want to also use it to go on camping trips, then you would likely be happier with a motorhome.

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/24/11 01:42 AM

Kinda of leaning toward living quarters due to I have the truck and want to spend less than 25k on everything. And i do not see us using it for more than the track.
Posted By: Plumb Wired

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/24/11 02:25 PM

I've done it both ways, toter w/ 28' enclosed and dually w/ 48' LQ. I personally preferred the toter & 28', easier to park, maneuver on the road and dump the black water tank. 48' LQ was a pain in the butt, had to park at a buddy's place of business because of the size, harder to get into restaurants, some fuel stops, etc. Financially the dually and LQ make more sense but...

Mike Gray
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/24/11 02:47 PM

Quote:

I've done it both ways, toter w/ 28' enclosed and dually w/ 48' LQ. I personally preferred the toter & 28', easier to park, maneuver on the road and dump the black water tank. 48' LQ was a pain in the butt, had to park at a buddy's place of business because of the size, harder to get into restaraunts, some fuel stops, etc. Financially the dually and LQ make more sense but...

Mike Gray

I've been trying to stay out of this discussion, But...LQ in a car trailer is not the answer for me. Too small, both the LQ and the car storage area and the trailer is too big and very heavy overall with a very low resale value. imo
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/24/11 03:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I've done it both ways, toter w/ 28' enclosed and dually w/ 48' LQ. I personally preferred the toter & 28', easier to park, maneuver on the road and dump the black water tank. 48' LQ was a pain in the butt, had to park at a buddy's place of business because of the size, harder to get into restaraunts, some fuel stops, etc. Financially the dually and LQ make more sense but...

Mike Gray

I've been trying to stay out of this discussion, But...LQ in a car trailer is not the answer for me. Too small, both the LQ and the car storage area and the trailer is too big and very heavy overall with a very low resale value. imo

^^^^^ Great advice ..... ask me how I know

Rickster

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/24/11 03:58 PM

Quote:

Got any inside pis? I thought about doing l/q myself in a trailer in the future but don'rt really know where to start. I can build houses but don't really have a clue as to trailers and where to get materials for the inside.

Houses and trailers are 2 different things. Because what you put in a trailer must be lightweight because you pull it and pay for fuel every trip. Your tires and axles can only carry so much weight.
Trailer cabinets are way different than kitchen cabinets, trailer cabinets have no backs or tops to save weight and should be aluminum. Wooden cabinets that you install in your kitchen are way heavy for a trailer. Then pull your trailer 50-100K miles and tell me what kind of shape your wooden cabinets are in. There not made for vibration.

By the time you add all the stuff in your LQ if not done right, you will need more truck to pull the heavy LQ trailer, then you might as well have a MH or totorhome.
I pulled a 49' aluminum trailer without LQ, with my specially equipped dually and it was too much for my dually.
LQ adds a lot of weight even done with aluminum everything.
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/25/11 01:24 AM

Quote:

I pulled a 49' aluminum trailer without LQ, with my specially equipped dually and it was too much for my dually.

Although I posted above L/Q's not being a great deal....I hauled my 50 footer for a few years and many miles @ 26000#'s combined & my GMC Duramax Dually w/firestone bags towed like an animal and never felt unsafe....we're talking everywhere east of the Mississippi east & as far north as VA.

If you can afford to go the m/h route IMHO that's the way to go, if not the L/Q works....just plan on keeping it forever

They can be comfortable:

Rickster

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/25/11 01:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Although I posted above L/Q's not being a great deal....I hauled my 50 footer for a few years and many miles @ 26000#'s combined & my GMC Duramax Dually w/firestone bags towed like an animal and never felt unsafe....we're talking everywhere east of the Mississippi east & as far north as VA.

If you can afford to go the m/h route IMHO that's the way to go, if not the L/Q works....just plan on keeping it forever

Rickster

NICE!! Definetly better than nothing and nicer than most!!

I believe you, my dually is a 99 chev with a 454 and factory 4:56s and it ain't no diesel. Diesel would out pull it for sure. My dually didn't stop real well with all that weight even with good trailer brakes.

I also had a complete alcohol operation inside my 49 footer along with 2 spare engines, 2 spare B&Js about 100 clutch discs, a clutch grinder machine along with many other tools. But no LQ lol

Here's my dually in front of my race rig, we use it as a pit vehicle now.

I just remembered after seeing your photos, that there are wood cabinets in our toterhome, but it's on a truck chassis.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/25/11 01:38 AM

If it were just me, trailer with living quarters. Wife and kids, definitely motor home.
Posted By: Eric

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/25/11 01:41 AM

Quote:

If it were just me, trailer with living quarters. Wife and kids, definitely motor home. [/quote

Wish I had the cash for yours when you were selling it Greg...
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/25/11 01:43 AM

Eric, it got a good home, the grand kids got it!
Posted By: Leon441

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/25/11 02:53 AM

I watched guys do it both ways. To me it was an easy decision. If I was interested in doing more camping outside of racing I would consider a motor home. I looked at Exiss trailers for years. Just could not afford one. The gooseneck I had was 32 ft and no where near big enough. Finally I was able to buy the Exiss the way I wanted it. Built the living quarters and could have paid to have it done just as cheap but the guy built very heavy. I built lighter. There are some things I would do different in the LQ but for the most part it has worked very well. My 3,000 lb car with an 800 lb golf car, cabinets front to rear 7,000 watt Onan RV genset plenty of waste and fresh tanks, plus 50 gallon gas tank my combined weight with wife and kids is 23,500. The Dodge 3500 pulls as if we were in business to steal trailers. LOL. I used some common sense though. 40 ft trailer and pack it tight. The trade off is worth it on the VA mountain paths to the track. It was plenty big when my twin boys were little. Now they are 12 and growing like weeds. It is a tight fit for them to sleep on the converted table to bed at night. I am probably going to make the garage area convertable in the future and add another AC.

My parents are now into an RV that is old and wouldn't tow well. It would have worked out as they do their thing in the winter to have a deisel pusher and pull a smaller trailer to the race track. But, they are $100,000. I have less than that in my combination.

I am not sure how to buy a LQ trailer for $22,000 new. But, the used market is probably very attractive right now. I wanted an all alluminum trailer. The trailer in skin and frame is over $30,000 new. Sense I knew I would never be able to afford a second venture at this I built a garage big enough to store the trailer in. Best thing I ever done.

Leon

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/25/11 03:21 AM

At some point you HAVE to consider the weight you are
going to pull, what are you WILLING to live with...
mine is sinple... it works... didnt cost a arm and
leg... could I have gone nicer... sure but you have X
area to play with and how much WEIGHT do you want to add,
mine is a trailer... its insured as a trailer and
they know what I carry
Posted By: Stroker Scamp

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/25/11 04:40 AM

i camp more than i race so its a moho for me, sometimes i rent it out also for some extra cash

Attached picture 6548164-duster1.jpg
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/25/11 05:55 AM

I have a 32' Millenium LQ tag trailer with 20' garage and it works great for me! I paid $21K for mine new and I designed it the way I wanted it on thier website. I added an escape door, observation deck, and propane package. Since it is a tag trailer anything extra you need to race goes in the pickemup bed, really no extra room in the trailer. I do have two plastic truck boxes in the front of the trailer for camping necessities and works great for me!

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/26/11 01:31 AM

I am going to look at the one on racing junk

Re: motorhome vrs living quarters - 03/26/11 09:59 PM

Bought it and hope it works out good I just figured this was my best move for under 16k. And if I decide to sell it is nice so resale should be good.
© 2024 Moparts Forums