Moparts

Six Pack Gurus?

Posted By: strokin73cuda

Six Pack Gurus? - 03/08/11 03:29 AM

I have a dual plane intake on my car (eddy) now and want to try a single plane. I'm running indy srs mildly ported, best time last year was 6.87@98 1/8th car weighs 3550 w me in it. Where do I get one for a six pack or whats the best way to build one?
Posted By: 6bblFLASH

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/08/11 04:03 AM

I would look into an INDY inline intake and put a 6bbl lid on it.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/08/11 04:15 AM

Quote:

I have a dual plane intake on my car (eddy) now and want to try a single plane. I'm running indy srs mildly ported, best time last year was [Email]6.87@98[/Email] 1/8th car weighs 3550 w me in it. Where do I get one for a six pack or whats the best way to build one?

There are three options that I'm aware of, Indy two piece with the six pak lid, custom made sheet metal intake and the last is the old Weiand Super Stock cast aluminum two piece semi tunnel ram six pak intakes.IHTHs
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/08/11 02:00 PM

hey Joe, here is a thread on the Indy mod man intake. you may as well get the heads opened to MW if you go this route

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...part=1&vc=1
Posted By: Tommy D

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/09/11 04:26 PM

Joe,

Assuming you are running a 440 and not a small block...there's the option of running the Weiand tunnel ram six pack set up. It's no longer manufactured, but you can still find them on ebay and craig's. I have one, but don't have pics now. The part number is P3690982. There is a lot of info about this intake in the thick Mopar Engines Manual. Tom
Posted By: gtx69

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/09/11 09:24 PM

Someone said wieland

Attached picture 6520655-HPIM0200.JPG
Posted By: Ari440

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/10/11 12:37 AM

working on this one

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/10/11 03:02 AM

Yeah its a 440. It looks like I will be trying the mod man from indy scince it also has a max wedge port version wich I plan on upgrading the heads to in the near future. Thanks for the input guys.
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/10/11 05:38 AM

Quote:

working on this one

Thats 1 way to fix a 6 bogger - run the Ford carbs with accelerator pumps in the end carbs.

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/10/11 08:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

working on this one

Thats 1 way to fix a 6 bogger - run the Ford carbs with accelerator pumps in the end carbs.

Them ain't no Ford carbs. Those are a set of the original aftermarket six pak carbs for whatever you wanted to put them on They make more power on the engine dyno than the OEM carbs do, even modified by a good carb shop

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/10/11 07:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

working on this one

Them ain't no Ford carbs. Those are a set of the original aftermarket six pak carbs for whatever you wanted to put them on They make more power on the engine dyno than the OEM carbs do, even modified by a good carb shop

They may not be FORD carbs, but they sure aren't Mopar (STYLE) carbs. Not with pumps in the end carbs, no vacuum seconday pods, full mechanical throttle linkage, and the fuel inlets on the linkage side. And, yes I'm aware of the accel pump conversion kits for the ends, but that still leaves the fuel inlets on the other side of the carb, like the FORDS.

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/11/11 08:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

working on this one

They may not be FORD carbs, but they sure aren't Mopar (STYLE) carbs. Not with pumps in the end carbs, no vacuum seconday pods, full mechanical throttle linkage, and the fuel inlets on the linkage side. And, yes I'm aware of the accel pump conversion kits for the ends, but that still leaves the fuel inlets on the other side of the carb, like the FORDS.

The key word is "Holley aftermarket carbs" for sale over the counter for 340,440 six paks and Corvette Tri Power, not for Fords. The Ford carbs where turn around so the fuel bowls would not hit the distributor is what I remember on the 1962 and 1963 406 Ford Tri Power cars I seem to remember some of the 1969 A12 440 6 pak cars having drivers side fuel inlet also, is that true? Any of the real A12 guys on here?
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/11/11 04:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

working on this one

They ARE Mopar carbs..... Kinda. They were sold by Mopar's Direct Connection back in the day. Check out one of the old catalogues. Excellent performance and drivability AND no idle circuit headaches in the outboards.

Attached picture 6524149-IMG_1136(Large).JPG

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/11/11 05:52 PM

Without seeing the numbers on the carbs, I call them Ford carbs because that is the configuration that Ford ran in STOCK 3x2 form - fuel inlets on the linkage side, mechanical linkage, and accel pumps in ind carbs. Mopar carbs in STOCK form had vacuum pods (and no accel pumps)on the end carbs, and the fuel inlets on the pod sides. I guess I should have known to say Ford TYPE or Mopar TYPE to eliminate the nit-picking and hair spliting.

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/11/11 06:34 PM

Quote:

Without seeing the numbers on the carbs, I call them Ford carbs because that is the configuration that Ford ran in STOCK 3x2 form - fuel inlets on the linkage side, mechanical linkage, and accel pumps in ind carbs. Mopar carbs in STOCK form had vacuum pods (and no accel pumps)on the end carbs, and the fuel inlets on the pod sides. I guess I should have known to say Ford TYPE or Mopar TYPE to eliminate the nit-picking and hair spliting.

Yah, well....they're Holley carbs, and Ford is a four-letter-word around these parts. Besides, it's those Chevy carbs that had the vacuum pods and such on them. Mechanical's rule...vacuum sucks!!!

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/12/11 04:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yah, well....they're Holley carbs, and Ford is a four-letter-word around these parts. Besides, it's those Chevy carbs that had the vacuum pods and such on them. Mechanical's rule...vacuum sucks!!!

You CAN'T be saying that Mopars didn't run vacuum operated end carbs

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/12/11 08:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You are correct. I was mocking the reference to the mechanical carbs being referred to as Ford carbs, by referring to the vacuum carbs as Chevy carbs; all while attempting to point out that they are all just Holley carbs. Referencing either kind as one brand or another is ....folly, cuz they're all simply Holley.

Attached picture 6525792-'Cudaprepaint001(Large).jpg

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/12/11 04:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You are correct. I was mocking the reference to the mechanical carbs being referred to as Ford carbs, by referring to the vacuum carbs as Chevy carbs; all while attempting to point out that they are all just Holley carbs. Referencing either kind as one brand or another is ....folly, cuz they're all simply Holley.

You musta skipped over this part out of a post several posts ago - I guess I should have known to say Ford TYPE or Mopar TYPE to eliminate the NITPICKING and HAIR SPLITTING. I never said they weren't Holley BRAND, I was only referring the kinds of cars the different TYPES were usually associated to.
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/12/11 05:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have a dual plane intake on my car (eddy) now and want to try a single plane. I'm running indy srs mildly ported, best time last year was [Email]6.87@98[/Email] 1/8th car weighs 3550 w me in it. Where do I get one for a six pack or whats the best way to build one?

There are three options that I'm aware of, Indy two piece with the six pak lid, custom made sheet metal intake and the last is the old Weiand Super Stock cast aluminum two piece semi tunnel ram six pak intakes.IHTHs

You're forgetting one Cab, the Eldebrock STR-14 with the six pack top.

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/12/11 05:40 PM

Actually, it was more like a leap with a quick spin and a triple-2-barrel blast.

Sorry, I got excited, just had coffee, and am going out to test some bigger jets I just installed in my....Holley's.

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/12/11 05:49 PM

Quote:

Actually, it was more like a leap with a quick spin and a triple-2-barrel blast.

Sorry, I got excited, just had coffee, and am going out to test some bigger jets I just installed in my....Holley's.

Good for you. Do you have real Holleys, or the Mopar versions (of the Ford STYLE) from the old catalogs that you mentioned earlier?

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/12/11 06:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Oops, your correct, my memory is horrible:o I have seen pictures of them but never owned or work on one of them Another option would be a tunnel ram with a homemade top like Sixpak Gut used lots of options when you wnat to make your own

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/12/11 06:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Oops, your correct, my memory is horrible:o I have seen pictures of them but never owned or work on one of them Another option would be a tunnel ram with a homemade top like Sixpak Gut used lots of options when you wnat to make your own

Your memory isn't horrible, Cab - we all skip a beat now and then.
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/12/11 06:27 PM

And to get really off the wall, wasn't there an Offy or Weiand intake that used Rochester carbs? OOPS those would be GM style wouldn't they.

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/12/11 11:19 PM

Quote:

And to get really off the wall, wasn't there an Offy or Weiand intake that used Rochester carbs? OOPS those would be GM style wouldn't they.

Posted By: Redsled

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/14/11 03:34 AM

I run a STR-14-6 with mechanical carbs. The motor is a .060 over 440 w/ Eddy heads, 10.7 cr, and a Comp hydraulic in a 66 Coronet. I bought the STR partly because I was told "It will never work". I didn't believe that. I'm knocking on the 10 second door w/ a best of 11.03 @ 119. I'm working on a weight loss program......

Attached picture 6528954-IMG_0003.jpg

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/14/11 05:02 PM

Red Sled, you have a PM

I'd love to hear some details about the times run with the Weiand tunnel ram. I tried this unit, and had some trouble with a bog (using stock style 6-pack carbs). I ran it on a 3700 pound Road Runner with 4.30 gears, a 3800RPM converter, and a modified stock motor with a .575 Comp roller cam. It was modified per the Mopar Engine book. It ran great once it got over a bog between the idle and secondary metering systems. Have you guys had this same issue? Were your set-ups anywhere near the ones mentioned in the book? Tom

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/14/11 06:03 PM

Quote:

I run a STR-14-6 with mechanical carbs. The motor is a .060 over 440 w/ Eddy heads, 10.7 cr, and a Comp hydraulic in a 66 Coronet. I bought the STR partly because I was told "It will never work". I didn't believe that. I'm knocking on the 10 second door w/ a best of 11.03 @ 119. I'm working on a weight loss program......

I always wonder when I see a car with a 6 barrel that has a slightly low MPH to the ET if it's running out of air/carburetion. A setup up like yours would be easy to swap to a 2X4 barrel top with a pair of 600's for a good comparison. I'm not saying anything is wrong with your combo - it runs real hard - just curious about if it could use a little more air.

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/14/11 08:30 PM

No, it was fuel. The air was a little better than I thought it was, as I found out later. I should have fattened it 2 jet sizes. I ran an hour later, w/no changes and ran 11.09 @ 120.4. The DA had went up 400 feet. I just keep chipping away at it and also have a good time.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/14/11 08:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I always wonder when I see a car with a 6 barrel that has a slightly low MPH to the ET if it's running out of air/carburetion. A setup up like yours would be easy to swap to a 2X4 barrel top with a pair of 600's for a good comparison. I'm not saying anything is wrong with your combo - it runs real hard - just curious about if it could use a little more air.

its not the carbs, its the intakes. and IMO, i personally dont see me gaining much if anything on my combo if i bolted on a dominator

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/14/11 08:47 PM

The PM didn't come through.

I had the bog issue when I ran the stock intake and carbs. I put put metering blocks in the outboard carbs so I could jet them, and put a bigger pump squirter in the center carb. A #35 squirter, #88 jets in both outboards w/ purple springs #68 jets in the center carb worked for my combo.

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/14/11 08:57 PM

Sixpackgut, I agree with you on that......I could run 1 4bbl. and maybe go a little quicker and faster, but I don't want to be like everybody else!

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/15/11 03:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

its not the carbs, its the intakes. and IMO, i personally dont see me gaining much if anything on my combo if i bolted on a dominator

I don,t think I have any problem with my carbs either, I ran at thunder road this sat first full quarter passes on my car with 4.56s and 28.5 effective ht on my wore out 325 -50 15 mickey thompson radials in 4 passes I could never get it to hook but ran 99+mph on every pass at the 660' and 121+mph every pass at the 1220' my et suffered from the spinning with a best 1.67 60' 10.93 et ,my 60' is usually low 1.50s The problem lies with my intake being a (dual plane) stock style-stock port window-mill with runners as crooked as polititions are famous for being. I have no "six boggers" on my ride very much Thanks to Mr. Cab and Mr. Ray (sixpackgut) helping me learn to tune it, although I can,t see a big difference in my holley 2 bbls and holley 4 bbls wich use the same parts. I would be willing anyday to let anyone switch it to a 4-bbl settup with a similar intake as mine and see if it will pick-up any et and I would be willing to bet they will be dissapointed with the results. I would simply like to try the best for the buck single plane intake under my very reliable six pack.

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/15/11 05:00 AM

My pump gas 518 with the Eddy low deck dual plane six pak intake with a set of 1970 440 vacume carbs modified by C&J engr. has gone as quick as 10:34 at 128.6 MPH running out of fuel from the hit of the throotle to the finish line according to the LM1 wide ban I put on it. That is with me in it at 3450 Lbs and with the air cleaner and mufflers on it I fixed the fuel delivery issue and then broke a roller lifter before getting the AFR perfect I loves six paks carbs systems BB Mopars love all the air you can feed them

Re: Six Pack Gurus? - 03/17/11 12:50 PM

Cab,

You might benefit from running the larger center carb. I purchased a 500CFM Holley Carb with the full round air cleaner horn on top. We installed the six pack carb throttle arm and milled the air cleaner bell to the same size as our 6-pack carbs. It definately shoots more fuel.

Before trying it myself, I borrowed a friend's set up. My car picked up two tenths with just this mod. Tom
© 2024 Moparts Forums