Moparts

NGK Plugs ?

Posted By: joedust451

NGK Plugs ? - 03/06/11 11:05 PM

What part # or heat range NGK would work best in a .030" 440 with Indy EZ heads, FT pistons, compressions at 11.1, Resistor or non-Resistor.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/06/11 11:09 PM

-7 or-8 on the last( ) number depending on the fuel and the tune up I like the extended tips plugs also I can go look at the numbers on the plugs if you need them
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/06/11 11:09 PM

Quote:

What part # or heat range NGK would work best in a .030" 440 with Indy EZ heads, FT pistons, compressions at 11.1, Resistor or non-Resistor.

5672A-9
Posted By: moderncylinder

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/06/11 11:15 PM

autolite ar3922 or if a little bit colder ar3911

autolite plugs make about 5-10 hp more than ngk plugs all the time,, thought the ngk are easier to read
Posted By: MoparJunkie

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/06/11 11:17 PM

Will those work with Eddy heads also? (not trying to jack your thread, just asking...)

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/06/11 11:20 PM

Quote:

Will those work with Eddy heads also? (not trying to jack your thread, just asking...)

I have used both the AR3911 and AR3910 plugs in my Eddy headed motors,on the street and at the strip, works good, last a long time
Posted By: clovis

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/06/11 11:30 PM

R5671A-8 (4224) is non-projected tip (right) $3.99/ea
R5672A-8 (7173) is a projected tip (left) $1.99/ ea

joe, is this a project for the dart ?

Attached picture 6514443-7173-4224.JPG

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/06/11 11:35 PM

Quote:

R5671A-8 (4224) is non-projected tip (right) $3.99/ea
R5672A-8 (7173) is a projected tip (left) $1.99/ ea

joe, is this a project for the dart ?

What Dart

No, just helping out a friend

I'm sure the Projected tip would work better for NA.

Hey Chris, Have you fixed the Duster yet??
Posted By: Brian Hafliger

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/06/11 11:58 PM

Quote:

Stock # 7173 for the track (-8) or a BCP7ES for the street. The 8 plug will load up and foul after a while on the street. If the 7 does too, drop down to the BCP6ES...
Brian Hafliger
IMM Engines
Posted By: 602heavy

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 12:03 AM

Stay away from the projected style plug , NGK-6 will be fine on the street & track , will be difficult to read if any colder.

Posted By: clovis

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 12:16 AM

joe, its coming together. I am hoping to get the block, crank and rods from the machine shop this week. The converter is here, heads are almost done and the dana is going in this weekend. if all goes well should have it to the track by mid April.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 12:28 AM

Quote:

Stay away from the projected style plug , NGK-6 will be fine on the street & track , will be difficult to read if any colder.

The lower the number the hotter the plug 10 being the coldest 6 being the hottest.
Posted By: mopar65

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 12:37 AM

Quote:

what is wrong with a projected tip?? sorry just wondering. thanks mopar65

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 12:54 AM

Quote:

joe, its coming together. I am hoping to get the block, crank and rods from the machine shop this week. The converter is here, heads are almost done and the dana is going in this weekend. if all goes well should have it to the track by mid April.

Cool, so are you getting rid of the 906s?

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 01:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The lower the number the hotter the plug 10 being the coldest 6 being the hottest.

-5 being the hottest , to cold a plug will load up , used -6 with no problem on an 11.5:1 street motor , 7s are ok but a tad cold when 'cruising' around , the projected type plug will get too hot due to the ground strap being deep into the combustion chamber , ok for a stock type motor running low compression , the projected type plug will glow like an ember when running high compression street motors.

Posted By: RemCharger

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 01:38 AM

Quote:

autolite plugs make about 5-10 hp more than ngk plugs all the time,, thought the ngk are easier to read

Now theres good tech right there! I think I'll give that a try in the spring. Thanks Jeff.

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 01:43 AM

Quote:

wow...

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 01:48 AM

Quote:

I will try them in the BB TR deal we'll dyno in a week or so.

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 02:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Please do Brian, curious to know, post results
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 02:15 AM

there no truth to that statement
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 02:21 AM

BCP7ES for the street.
If the 7 doesn't last (cold), drop down to the BCP6ES...
With that "low" CR, you don't want too cold of a plug like the -9 NGK. IMO, a -7 will be about the coldest I would run.

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 02:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Please do Brian, curious to know, post results

me three
Mopar65

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 02:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

As a fellow BB TR user could you tell us some info about the build? if you have to you can pm me. thanks Mopar65

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 03:22 AM

are you saying there is no truth to my statement? thats just my experience,, ive done it a few times on my dyno and its always worth power

in a ss hemi gained 10
in a ss 427 chevy gained 10
in a pump gas small chevy gained 6
in a 480 cubic inch fe pump gas was worth 8
in a 505 bb mopar pump gas was worth 6

all average power numbers which is all i ever look at

so i built a small blk ford motor for a guy local who works for the prince of quatar(alanabi guy),, so he is hooked up with shannon jenkins from some nitrous company,, i told my customer to run autolite plugs but they didnt cause they later told me i didnt tell them a part number,,, so they ran ngk,, so they went down south and shannon told them to go to the store and get some autolite plugs cause they make more power than ngk plugs,,, so they did cause they were told to by two totaly different sources. its a 360 cubic inch 8.2 deck ford with tfs heads in a 2900lb car, clutchless 5 spd,, nitrous,, been 7.80's at 180something

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 08:01 AM

Quote:

are you saying there is no truth to my statement? thats just my experience,, ive done it a few times on my dyno and its always worth power

in a ss hemi gained 10

so i built a small blk ford motor for a guy local who works for the prince of quatar(alanabi guy),, so he is hooked up with shannon jenkins from some nitrous company,, i told my customer to run autolite plugs but they didnt cause they later told me i didnt tell them a part number,,, so they ran ngk,, so they went down south and shannon told them to go to the store and get some autolite plugs cause they make more power than ngk plugs,,, so they did cause they were told to by two totaly different sources. its a 360 cubic inch 8.2 deck ford with tfs heads in a 2900lb car, clutchless 5 spd,, nitrous,, been 7.80's at 180something

And that is why we test folks!
Posted By: 68roadrunner

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 01:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

in a ss hemi gained 10

And that is why we test folks!

and we appreciate the testing and information that everybody brings here.

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 04:10 PM

i will believe that there might be a minisque diff in some plugs
as in heat range tips lenghts , ets but to come make bold statements
that this plug will make more hp than the same equivalent plug from diffrent plug manufacture , is totally without merit ,
now if youre testing a totaly diffrent plug vs a racing style plug
with diffrent heat range , then i will believe some of youre statement!
other than that, show me dyno results with no other changes than
that of a plug change, using the same indexing , timing, etc
just a plug change thats all ,, lets see the results!!
Posted By: BLONDE BARRACUDA

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 04:23 PM

I have a hard time believing this to but hopefully he's right that will be the cheapest horspower I have made in a while
Posted By: ademon

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 04:27 PM

Quote:

I have a hard time believing this to but hopefully he's right that will be the cheapest horspower I have made in a while

Horse power TV always makes that type of power increase with the plug of the month
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 04:57 PM

440-1 NGK-9-what is the equivalent Auto lite? Willing to try them.
Posted By: therocks

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 05:47 PM

12.5 Stealth headed 440 I run NGK R5671A-8.My kids price at Advanced was about 14 bucks for 8.Great plug.Car runs better than when I ran the Autolites.Rocky
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 08:27 PM

I have ran both the AR 3911 and the NGK 7173 both extended tip only change was plug in my case car ran same et but with the AR 3911 I gained 1 mph and the car idles much better this was back to back test same day 30 minutes apart.
Posted By: ademon

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 08:48 PM

Quote:

I have ran both the AR 3911 and the NGK 7173 both extended tip only change was plug in my case car ran same et but with the AR 3911 I gained 1 mph and the car idles much better this was back to back test same day 30 minutes apart.

This was replacing and old set with new AR's & new NGK's? or were you replacing the NGK's with AR's?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 09:07 PM

Quote:

Woody... whats the compression on your engine... was
that with the W-5s

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 09:18 PM

Don't wanna rain on anyones parade here but..........................................if ANY of you believe a HP gain when swapping out a new NGK for the equivilant Autolite you better go back to basics..............they call it HOGWASH.

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 10:25 PM

it works for me,,, i have my own dyno,, it repeats.... party on guys
Posted By: mac56

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 10:58 PM

Quote:

it works for me,,, i have my own dyno,, it repeats.... party on guys

Thanks for the info Jeff.

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 11:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

that with the W-5s

no this was with the Indybrocks with the motor at 12.5-1 and that was install brand new NGK's made 1 pass then installed brand new AR 3911.
The test was done because my machinist swears by the Ar's
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 11:39 PM

i have bbeen running the NGK R5671A-9's for yrs..
if Jeff says they are worth an improvement..thats good enough for me..
i agree the chrome/nickle base is easier to read then the black phosfate.
i think they have a nickle version fwiw...i just dont know the part number..

what # Autolite plug is a direct cross match from the NGK R5671A-9 plug?

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 11:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

that with the W-5s

no this was with the Indybrocks with the motor at 12.5-1 and that was install brand new NGK's made 1 pass then installed brand new AR 3911.
The test was done because my machinist swears by the Ar's

I'm trying to figure out what plug to run in my W-5s
for my drag week car, 11:1 ... I've been using Champion
race plugs for my W-9 but they are pretty pricey

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 11:50 PM

from my experience with the AR's I would give them a try they have been great in mine.

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 11:56 PM

Quote:

from my experience with the AR's I would give them a try they have been great in mine.

Since I'm not familiar with their plugs number wise
what would you suggest..... 11:1 engine
thanks
Posted By: moparniac

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/07/11 11:57 PM

Ill give the autolites a whirl this time....what the heck!

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 12:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

thanks

well I can tell you that the list I found show a
AR 3910 = a c59yc
Ar 3911 = a c61yc
does that help any
the 3911 ran fine in the motor at 12.5-1 and I am still running that plug now at 14-1
The 3910 would be a step colder.

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 12:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

thanks

well I can tell you that the list I found show a
AR 3910 = a c59yc
Ar 3911 = a c61yc
does that help any
the 3911 ran fine in the motor at 12.5-1 and I am still running that plug now at 14-1
The 3910 would be a step colder.

Thanks... I'll try the 3911 after I get the car running
and see how they act

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 12:39 AM

feel the same
HOGWASH is a good word i had a diffrent word but it would be bleep out
but do carry on the b s
i'm getting a good laugh
Posted By: BLONDE BARRACUDA

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 12:59 AM

I may also try a set being I usually start with new set of plugs anyways I have used NGK in the past but never really tried back to back test before with them one question I have is a lot of people are recommending heat ranges based on compresion ratio alone but isnt cam selection a huge factor being cylinder presure is determined largely by cam duration and compresion ratio. just a thought

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 01:25 AM

Quote:

I may also try a set being I usually start with new set of plugs anyways I have used NGK in the past but never really tried back to back test before with them one question I have is a lot of people are recommending heat ranges based on compresion ratio alone but isnt cam selection a huge factor being cylinder presure is determined largely by cam duration and compresion ratio. just a thought

It is... its cylinder pressure... but for me the
11:1 which it is based on the area its a good place
to start... thats why I said I'll see how they act

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 01:30 AM

Quote:

feel the same
but do carry on the b s
i'm getting a good laugh

Well Jeff has FACTS to back up what he said..... lets
see what you have.... not that I am a believer or not

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 01:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

feel the same
but do carry on the b s
i'm getting a good laugh

Well Jeff has FACTS to back up what he said..... lets
see what you have.... not that I am a believer or not

Mike I went to them based on my machinist recommendation and he has a dyno and does a lot of dynoing and his findings mimic those of Jeff so that's good enough for me.
I found for a fact they idle better in my motor than the NGK so that works for me.

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 02:06 AM

Thought this was April fools till i realised it's a few weeks away.

Plug INITIATES the burn , that's all it does , too cold a plug for the application 'may' leave a 'tad' power on the table due to unburnt fuel residing in base of plug , then you have too hot a plug 'may' leave a 'tad' power on the table due to mixure being lit off 'slightly' earlier , pretty 'negligible' which ever way you look at it.

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 02:20 AM

Quote:

Plug INITIATES the burn , that's all it does , too cold a plug for the application 'may' leave a 'tad' power on the table due to unburnt fuel residing in base of plug , then you have too hot a plug 'may' leave a 'tad' power on the table due to mixure being lit off 'slightly' earlier , pretty 'negligible' which ever way you look at it.

Ok... weather I believe or not, how do you explain
the difference in HP on the dyno and the better idle
quality if they are a straight change heat range wise
and I do understand the principles of the plug

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 02:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

This is the problem i'm having..............can't fathom how the autolite plug netted 5/10hp over the NGK , i would of thought the opposite , an autolite has a thicker ground strap than an NGK which could 'hinder' grounding..............bit like the multi electrode ground strap being the best thing since sliced bread , if this were the case 'indexing' a plug would also be hogwash.

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 03:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is the problem i'm having..............can't fathom how the autolite plug netted 5/10hp over the NGK , i would of thought the opposite , an autolite has a thicker ground strap than an NGK which could 'hinder' grounding..............bit like the multi electrode ground strap being the best thing since sliced bread , if this were the case 'indexing' a plug would also be hogwash.

I suggest you look at the 2 plugs in question the Ar has a cut back ground strap the NGK does not.

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 03:25 AM

right the ar plug has a cut back ground strap and the ngk does not,, you usually run a tighter plug gap with a cut back strap,, like .025-.030 as compared to .045-.050 with a full strap

maybe you should go work for champion since i have about 4 styles of plugs from them, same heat range, with full strap, cut back strap, fine wire electrode, and no ground strap.. imagine how much money you would save them in engineering and production by knowing what works without actually testing anything and all that matters is the heat range

or maybe a pro stock team,, those guys have like 10 sets of carbs,, when all a carb does is flow air and "spray" the fuel into the airstream based on booster draw and emulsion,,, youd think all they need is one set,, lots of $ saving there if you only buy one set,, the possibilities are endless if you know the answer and testing is not needed

so now we have three totally independent guys who own dynos and test that say the same thing,, must be a conspiracy

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 03:36 AM

ya know.I have been thinking of having my engine dynoe'd this time around....... if I do this IS one test I will have done.........
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 03:46 AM

Quote:

right the ar plug has a cut back ground strap and the ngk does not,, you usually run a tighter plug gap with a cut back strap,, like .025-.030 as compared to .045-.050 with a full strap

maybe you should go work for champion since i have about 4 styles of plugs from them, same heat range, with full strap, cut back strap, fine wire electrode, and no ground strap.. imagine how much money you would save them in engineering and production by knowing what works without actually testing anything and all that matters is the heat range

or maybe a pro stock team,, those guys have like 10 sets of carbs,, when all a carb does is flow air and "spray" the fuel into the airstream based on booster draw and emulsion,,, youd think all they need is one set,, lots of $ saving there if you only buy one set,, the possibilities are endless if you know the answer and testing is not needed

so now we have three totally independent guys who own dynos and test that say the same thing,, must be a conspiracy

Why do..."..you usually run a tighter gap with a cut back strap.."??
They come out of the box tighter,,but you don't have to run them that tight and I don't. I gap them the same as regular strap plugs. Work better with wider gap too,,especially with alcohol.
Posted By: 65racer

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 03:58 AM

What plug number would it take for
a steel headed bb mopar, with a 3/8" reach, and a
13/16 wrench size, I have ran NGK'S for several seasons,
and would like to do some testing with the autolites,
and see if there is anything there?????????????

Thanks
Dave

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 04:04 AM

sorry,, i should have said also with higher compression you run a tighter gap

why do i do it? cause it makes more power with a tighter gap for me,, with higher comp,, like 14/1

i dont run alcohol,, so i dont know what works with it

its crazy to imagine that on a motor that has 8 cylinders, each making 105-120 hp/cylinder that you could change the plug and influence the combustion process and gain 1-1.25hp,, thats like.... a lil less than 1%,, wow thats alot... added up through the 8 cylinders it could be 5-10hp..... its crazy to think the combustion process actually matters in the motor,, wait... it does

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 04:05 AM

Plug gap is dependant on cylinder pressure/voltage , those cut-back plugs are/were 'marketed' for high HP motors running high cylinder pressures , hence the tighter gap.............some guys on here running NGKs will be pulling em out & cutting the straps back , will also go through two sets of cut-backs to one set of standard type plugs...........maybe the cut-backs worked better in you're application due to problems elsewhere , might not gain in every application , the NGK 'V' series plug definatly did'nt help regards my combo.

With respect.

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 04:12 AM

well the ngk v series is what i compared to in every test,,,,, so if you had a back to back test, between v and std, say it,, just dont say im wrong,,, tell what you found... lets be productive here and all try to learn off what each other has found

i have no clue if they make an "ar" series in a 3/8 reach

every pro stock guy i know runs autolite plugs,,, but they prob get them for free,, cause i do..

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 04:18 AM

Quote:

Plug gap is dependant on cylinder pressure/voltage , those cut-back plugs are/were 'marketed' for high HP motors running high cylinder pressures , hence the tighter gap.............some guys on here running NGKs will be pulling em out & cutting the straps back , will also go through two sets of cut-backs to one set of standard type plugs...........maybe the cut-backs worked better in you're application due to problems elsewhere , might not gain in every application , the NGK 'V' series plug definatly did'nt help regards my combo.

With respect.

I never seen the V or 4 point grounds do anything for
power but did get a lot longer life out of them...
I had a set given to me for my street rod(I would
have never bought a set)... same principle ... electricity
goes to the easiest ground path

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 04:19 AM

Quote:

i think you can make out anything you want, and put what ever numbers that are in line with that, to be the truth.
still when you talk of ngk race vs ar race plug and all you do is change the plug , you cannot , will not gain 10 hp peroid !!
the only way it could add any hp is if that cyl (s) wasnt fireing , or plug(s)fouled!!
if this was any kind of a true senario, ngk, motorcraft, denso, bosch,
ac delco, pulsar, and any other plug co, would be out of buisness tommorrow over such a find , it would be historic perportion in the racing world
OOOO MY GOD ,, my prayes have been answered ,!! all i need to do is buy set of $ 15.00 plugs
please keep this going i can see people throwing out there plugs now

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 04:22 AM

Quote:

so if you had a back to back test, between v and std, say it,, just dont say im wrong,,, tell what you found..

I did say it , no power gain using NGK BCRES over the 'V' series NGK , just talking out loud which had nothing to do with autolites.

I personally don't use the autolite plug due to it being harder to read (nitrous) , i prefer the NGK being the fuse as opposed the piston with the autolites.............maybe you got lucky the way the autilite was indexed as opposed to NGK.

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 04:29 AM

Quote:

What plug number would it take for
a steel headed bb mopar, with a 3/8" reach, and a
13/16 wrench size, I have ran NGK'S for several seasons,
and would like to do some testing with the autolites,
and see if there is anything there?????????????

Thanks
Dave

Try AR74, AR73 and AR72

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 04:31 AM

well this all started with a customer telling me they picked up 7hp on koffels dyno,, dean nicopolis,,, so i told my friends in louisana,, caro and teuton,, they gained,, i told westcott,, he started running them all the time but never tells anyone anything,, but him switching over said something,, then i got a dyno,, i did it,, gain,,, so we all gained.. nothing to do with indexing...

they are harder to read than an ngk plug,, and ive had a few buddies that run nitrous and said they didnt like the autolite for some reason and went back to ngk

i ran ngk heat range 8, 9 and 10,,, compared to ar 51, and ar 52 plugs and the autolite were obviously better,,, though tried a gap change on the 9 ngk plugs and on the 51 ar plugs,, and end up with an ar51 gapped at .025

i would wonder why all the pro stock guys run them then,,,, to be honest i didnt believe it at first either.. my friend james told warren barnett,,, he said no way,, then did it and gained around 7,, and had to try to find out why cause like you two guys,, said no way could it gain,,, i on the other hand dont care why it gained,,, it just did,, i did think about it a lil,,, but moved on to bigger things,, like working on controling the valvetrain,, or ring seal
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 04:36 AM

I don't doubt those numbers, but directly off Monte Smith's NOS class he says you should be using NGK.. Not sure if that's because of N2O or he thinks it's a better plug..

Read here: http://www.smotherssupercars.com/nitrousclass.html

Chris..

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 04:37 AM

Quote:

but moved on to bigger things,, like working on controling the valvetrain,, or ring seal

Maybe you changed plugs after working on this.

Only messing around , could'nt resist.

BTW , how do you know indexing did't help?

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 04:49 AM

in a hemi we never usually index the plug,, just put them in,,, and its always the same hp,, with the same type of plugs,, if indexing would matter it would make power change some up or down cause the "new" plugs wouldnt be indexed unless you got lucky

in bb chevy motors i do,,, i have to index the plugs,, or fords,,, or else the piston would hit it

the biggest gain i ever seen in indexing plugs was about 200 or so, made a high 600 number, piston hit just enough to close the gap off,, so just swapped the 8 plugs around in the motor till they tightened in the right spot,, i looked at the numbers as the dyno guy was laughing, along with his dad,, after the 1rst pull,,,, he didnt see what i did,, then i walked back in and said pull it again, 950hp, he asked me about 10 times.... what did you do??? the dyno operator was charlie westcott,,,, he has a dyno in his barn,, this was 6 or so years ago

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 05:07 AM

Quote:

one question I have is a lot of people are recommending heat ranges based on compresion ratio alone but isnt cam selection a huge factor being cylinder presure is determined largely by cam duration and compresion ratio. just a thought

Plug heat range for a particular engine is just a guess on the tuners part , & you're correct regards cylinder pressure , what plug works in one motor running 11:1 won't necesarily be correct for another motor running similar CR , this is why reading plugs will be the deciding factor.

Posted By: BradH

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 05:18 AM

All I can add is that when I did back-to-back tests between the standard Autolite and the AR series in the same heat range, my car picked up about .5 MPH w/ no other change.

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 05:25 AM

Brad... when did you change names this time... you
sure go through names... LOL
Posted By: MikeyT

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 05:54 AM

Wow, great read guys

Could I bother you to make suggestions on my engine too?

440 .40 over, stealth heads, 9.5:1 compression..
thanks

Mike

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 07:10 AM

Quote:

Can you show us PROOF?

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 07:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

i think you can make out anything you want, and put what ever numbers that are in line with that, to be the truth.
still when you talk of ngk race vs ar race plug and all you do is change the plug , you cannot , will not gain 10 hp peroid !!
the only way it could add any hp is if that cyl (s) wasnt fireing , or plug(s)fouled!!
ac delco, pulsar, and any other plug co, would be out of buisness tommorrow over such a find , it would be historic perportion in the racing world
OOOO MY GOD ,, my prayes have been answered ,!! all i need to do is buy set of $ 15.00 plugs

Really...over 7-10HP? So the fact that I just gained 17avg HP on an engine I freshened for a friend of mine should rock the racing comminity?

Unless you have proof otherwise, don't knock the SHARED information too hard. If you've never tried it, don't knock it!!
Brian Hafliger
IMM Engines

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 08:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Really...over 7-10HP? So the fact that I just gained 17avg HP on an engine I freshened for a friend of mine should rock the racing comminity?

Unless you have proof otherwise, don't knock the SHARED information too hard. If you've never tried it, don't knock it!!
Brian Hafliger
IMM Engines

Maybe it's time for some of us to keep our secrets secret Your results may vary I remember the same comments on switching from a stock street Hemi dual point distributor to a converted Hayes S4 ignition in the same distributor from one race to the next, the car pickup almost two tenths and right at 3 MPH with that change only Several well known "stock" class racers said no way, but they did have the Hayes ignition on thier cars at the next race
Posted By: mafo

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 09:16 AM

I had a mid 10 sec stock headed 340 pick up almost 2 mph when changing from standard NGK s to V power NGK s...
so there is something in this, maybe it s time for some testing

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 02:21 PM

Quote:

Wow, great read guys

thanks

Mike

yep just buy some autolite plugs that will do it
lmao

ooo and please ,, if you do have any more secrets like autolite plugs , keep that one , to youre self, that way noone will know why youre car picked up that 2-3 mph and that 1-2 tenths,
and you can charge a guy a bunch of money when you work on his car and make it go faster .
wonder if it makes a diffrence if i was to use motorcraft plugs??
but they said only autolites mmm

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 02:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Wow, great read guys

thanks

Mike

yep just buy some autolite plugs that will do it
lmao

Oh... I see you presented your data

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 02:46 PM

mr p i'm sorry i great respect for you ,,
but this is just plain outright b s ,
as i have posted before, you cannot gain up to 10 hp
over any plug by autolites, plugs,,
not unless that plug not firing, or is in the wrong heat rang
indexes is not what it all is either, yes min gain and the work to do it , yes some motors you have to index,
sometimes yes 7-10 hp doesnt take alot for a motor to pick that up,
air quality, wind,
when its on a dyno, and that statement comes out i will go back
and say, that the plugs are bad, just as a set of wires can have to much resitance and have the same effect,
other than delivering the ign to fire that cyl, thats what the plug will do
my testing has come from the track,i have used 100s of plugs ,at the track & on my own, i have used autolites, motorgraft, ngk champion, bosch, ac delco, i have yet to see any plug, pick up over the other !
i have run gas and now alcohol, i have change plugs at will, on both
yet to see even so much as a hundreth of a pick up,
if a guy has a gas fouled , oil fouled ,etc plugs yes he will see a pickup yes even on a dyno,

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 03:04 PM

Quote:

mr p i'm sorry i great respect for you ,,
but this is just plain outright b s ,
as i have posted before, you cannot gain up to 10 hp
over any plug by autolites, plugs,,
not unless that plug not firing, or is in the wrong heat rang
indexes is not what it all is either, yes min gain and the work to do it , yes some motors you have to index,
sometimes yes 7-10 hp doesnt take alot for a motor to pick that up,
air quality, wind,
when its on a dyno, and that statement comes out i will go back
and say, that the plugs are bad, just as a set of wires can have to much resitance and have the same effect,
other than delivering the ign to fire that cyl, thats what the plug will do
my testing has come from the track,i have used 100s of plugs ,at the track & on my own, i have used autolites, motorgraft, ngk champion, bosch, ac delco, i have yet to see any plug, pick up over the other !
i have run gas and now alcohol, i have change plugs at will, on both
yet to see even so much as a hundreth of a pick up,
if a guy has a gas fouled , oil fouled ,etc plugs yes he will see a pickup yes even on a dyno,

Where is your proof? You keep mouthing off but with no proof!!
If you have provided no proof, and Jeff has provided no proof, then it's just an argument. Argue in PM's if you don't have anything usefull to bring.

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 03:11 PM

mr obvious here first time listner first time caller
sorry dont have that dyno in my back pocket, ,
just have a 1320 errrrrr

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 03:25 PM

If David Vizard's input is of any value on this subject, here's something I found when he was testing a different brand of plugs than Autolite:

"Up to this point, an Autolite plug had consistently out-powered everything else we tried... The baseline Autolite plugs used in the test produced two more horsepower (but sometimes more) than most other plugs we tested. However, plug testing can reveal some unexpected results inasmuch as one or two brands that work perfectly in a similar engine don’t pass muster and could be as much as 10 hp down."

Posted By: JohnRR

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 03:35 PM

Quote:

If David Vizard's input is of any value on this subject, here's something I found when he was testing a different brand of plugs than Autolite:

"Up to this point, an Autolite plug had consistently out-powered everything else we tried... The baseline Autolite plugs used in the test produced two more horsepower (but sometimes more) than most other plugs we tested. However, plug testing can reveal some unexpected results inasmuch as one or two brands that work perfectly in a similar engine don’t pass muster and could be as much as 10 hp down."

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 03:56 PM

yep its a conspiracy...........

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 04:00 PM

Quote:

All I can add is that when I did back-to-back tests between the standard Autolite and the AR series in the same heat range, my car picked up about .5 MPH w/ no other change.

Just figured out that worked out to a 6-7 HP improvement in my case.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 04:39 PM

Quote:

in a ss hemi gained 10

If I`m not mistaken I thaught I saw NGK`s in Forces plug holder at Pamona? Are they better for blown combos?

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 04:57 PM

i dont know,,, i know those guys would run two different plugs in each cylinder,, in front and rear,, they believed the g force had an effect on the fuel in the cylinder,, i cant remeber who it was,, but i know they ran autolites in the rear and another in the front, maybe ngk,, gapped the rear at like .012 and the front at like .018.. was either leong, head, hughes, prudhomme, bernstein, oswald.... one of those guys,,, back in the early 90's when i worked for a place where we ported their heads

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 05:06 PM

Good info..........Thankxxx.......... Ordered my 3911`s yesturday to see how they compare to the NGK 7`s I`m running just for street driving since I`m not racing at this point.
Posted By: ro23car

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 06:55 PM

Quote:

i will believe that there might be a minisque diff in some plugs
as in heat range tips lenghts , ets but to come make bold statements
that this plug will make more hp than the same equivalent plug from diffrent plug manufacture , is totally without merit ,
now if youre testing a totaly diffrent plug vs a racing style plug
with diffrent heat range , then i will believe some of youre statement!
other than that, show me dyno results with no other changes than
that of a plug change, using the same indexing , timing, etc
just a plug change thats all ,, lets see the results!!

i belive he did show you with the diff types of engines he ran. now if you are calling him a liar because you didnt see it in person thats your problem. im positive that jeff dosent have anyhing to lie about.

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 07:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Can you show us PROOF?

I have no argument with you or anyone else , the above statement ARE facts , WHICH PART DON'T YOU BELIEVE?'..........the way i see it is a guy changes plugs out & says it picked up , now were those autolites indexed exactly the same as the NGKs? , probably not as it would be impossible to do without indexing the first set , maybe he got lucky & the autolights just 'happened' to index themselves perfectly when installed (have we proof they were indexed the same?) , some guys claim the NGK picked up over the autolite ....................i'm willing to learn if you can tell me otherwise , legitimate question.
Posted By: w7smallblock

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 07:29 PM

just have a 1320 errrrrr

This is the kind of crap that really gets on my nerves on here. When well known and respective people with real world experience give their input on a subject and somebody disagree's because he's changed 100's of plugs at the track and seen no difference. I'm sure Jeff and Brian don't have stock in autolite plugs so why would they lie and if you have changed 100's of plugs at the track and not seen any difference going from one style to the next or one heat rang to another maybe you should start your own post on how to read plugs.
Posted By: PorkyPig

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 07:45 PM

Seriously. This is just a waste of time to get into stupid pissing contests over this stuff. People give first hand experience and you don't like the results so you get into a dumbass argument over what they found. Just buy yourself a set of the spark plugs in question and test them yourself.

No wonder so many of the old tech heads who used to come on here on a regular basis have just given up out of frustration.

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 08:02 PM

I guess i started a "WAR" , i won't get into this pissing match.

As for NGKs for Nitrous, YES, i like them, easy to read.

Carry on....

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 08:11 PM

Quote:

Seriously. This is just a waste of time to get into stupid pissing contests over this stuff.

you just figured out that goes on over here

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 09:20 PM

Quote:

I found for a fact they idle better in my motor than the NGK so that works for me.

I'm hearing a few say this.................most guys won't waste money changing plugs out unless the plug is past it's sell-by date or the engine is running intermitant , the logic here is the gap between ground strap & electrode has grown (worn) , this can cause slight misfires due to the increased voltage necessary to jump the gap , will also reduce the time period of spark , guys happy cos he fits a new set of plugs wherby the gap is correct & the misfire disappears , if these plugs happen to be a different brand the guy gets sold on em .....................just another angle on things , not bashing anyone.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 09:56 PM

would 6hp improvement show on a time slip?

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 10:06 PM

there are many angles on this,, and i keep hearing that youre wrong from whats guys think... new plugs to new plugs and it makes more hp and idles better.. you just cant grasp that from how you believe a plug functions and its "purpose" you cany comprehend how in actual real life it makes a difference when many totally unrelated people say the same thing,, it does...

now everyone's experiences are their own,, you have to test or try things in your combination to see what works for you

will 6hp show up on a timeslip? all day long,,,, for me thats about .02-.03 and .5mph

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 10:13 PM

Quote:

would 6hp improvement show on a time slip?

... you might see a few thousandth but
you might think its anything(wind, temp).... but both
seen MPH

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/08/11 10:55 PM

Quote:

just have a 1320 errrrrr

This is the kind of crap that really gets on my nerves on here. When well known and respective people with real world experience give their input on a subject and somebody disagree's because he's changed 100's of plugs at the track and seen no difference. I'm sure Jeff and Brian don't have stock in autolite plugs so why would they lie and if you have changed 100's of plugs at the track and not seen any difference going from one style to the next or one heat rang to another maybe you should start your own post on how to read plugs.

Ditto; was trying to stay out of this but he`s like that pesky fly that keeps flying around that you try to squash but can`t......been that way from his very first posts. Get a life homey.
Posted By: MikeyT

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/09/11 12:49 AM

Just to reiterate. I wasn't thinking that I was going to find some "magic bullet" in new plugs. I just wanted to know what plugs people would suggest and what heat range.

Again if people have suggestions or a way to make an educated guess. I would be interested.

Mike

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/09/11 12:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm hearing a few say this.................most guys won't waste money changing plugs out unless the plug is past it's sell-by date or the engine is running intermitant , the logic here is the gap between ground strap & electrode has grown (worn) , this can cause slight misfires due to the increased voltage necessary to jump the gap , will also reduce the time period of spark , guys happy cos he fits a new set of plugs wherby the gap is correct & the misfire disappears , if these plugs happen to be a different brand the guy gets sold on em .....................just another angle on things , not bashing anyone.

can't comment on anyone else but if you read one of the other post I made I clearly stated that this was 2 brand new sets of plugs I tried this with.
Both sets gap the same by me and I have indexed every plug I have installed in this motor from day 1 so that takes just about every variable out of the mix.
I,m out when you have multiple people like Jeff telling you what he has seen on the dyno and you still don't believe then I would say go climb back under the rock.
Posted By: DaveDudek

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/09/11 01:50 AM

Personally i`ve dyno`ed several different types of plugs. Look in my trailer, garage, and in my car. AUTOLITES

I forgot the exact number I picked up, but after I dyno`ed a second engine and got the same results, I never looked back....

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/09/11 02:03 AM

Quote:

then I would say go climb back under the rock.

You're the 2nd one to say that , just gotta go find that rock.

Looks like i'm goin with the flow & gonna start using autolites , guess the BS does'nt wash on here , interesting thread.

Posted By: tboomer

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/09/11 02:15 AM

Guys..How much does it cost to chsnge plugs? If you can pick it up a bit for not much money spent,isn't worth it? Jeff comes on here and gives some tech...And a lot of people cry B.S!!! How many of you guys gave seen his work? I think don't knock it till tou try it...

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/09/11 02:33 AM

just so everyone knows , i have run autolites, alot!!
i have run ngk alot!! on gas as well as alcohol having said that,
1 plug will not outperform the other , ,
in my case and in the cars i have run.
as for the o p in this ,
if he is running pump gas 89-92 oct- 8-9 range plug (med )
of any varity will work just fine in street application/ strip
good coil, cap/rotor, wires are a wise investment !
the right size carb, adjusted correctly, properly tuned ,
and timed will leed to alot of enjoyment at the track and on the road,
Posted By: r69cuda

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/10/11 10:29 PM

I had my stock eliminator 69 340 on the dyno all day yesterday. So, after lots of pulls playing with timing and jets, we got it to the most hp and tq it would produce. Took out the used Accel 113 plugs and put in a new set of Autolite Ar plugs. No change what so ever. FWIW. Mark
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/10/11 11:17 PM

I have a question that I hope maybe some of you can help me with. On a Wedge engine with 572-13 heads a true 15.2-1 CR using the Champion C59CX plug is there any need to index the plugs? I have been told it is a waste of time,but I will do it if it helps. In the past I have never seen in results one way or the other at the track. Also what number Autolite plug would I need to use? I run alcohol if that matters. Indy says use Champion but I will try a set of Autolites.

PS Great post, I am always eager to learn more Speed Secrets!!!!

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/10/11 11:23 PM

in the small block you used an ar52? or an ar53? sometimes it works for some,, who knows,, its been better than ngk for me,, id have used an ar53 gapped at .045, did you open the gap up from out of the package? did you try different plug gaps?

for an indy 572 head you would use an ar3910 with 15/1 ive never seen anything in idexing aslong as the ground strap doesnt hit the piston

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/10/11 11:31 PM

Hey Jeff, We did .020, .035, .045 no change on the accels or the ar52's. Mark

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/10/11 11:52 PM

you looked at average power? not just peaks?

not telling people this is the way to do it,, but when i dyno something say from 6300-9100,, my hemi stuff i average from 6500-7500 7000-8000 7500-8500 and 8000-9000 then look at those 4 numbers to compare pulls,, i can throw out the bottom number now,, but still start at 6300,, though convertors are above 7000

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/11/11 12:03 AM

Yes, averages from 4500-6500.

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/26/11 03:02 AM

I found a cross refrence chart that some body might be interested in for comparing the autolites to the ngk etc. i thought it m ight help some one. Mopar65

Attached picture 6549917-701.jpg

Re: NGK Plugs ? - 03/26/11 03:03 AM

and here is the heat range chart. mopar65

Attached picture 6549920-700.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums