Moparts

Solid Flat Tappet Differences

Posted By: Cuda_Mike

Solid Flat Tappet Differences - 02/24/11 01:00 PM

I received my new cam and lifters yesterday, RB engine, the lifter on the right is what came with it. I've never used any like these, what's the point of the reduced o.d.? 87 grams, 122 grams and 100 grams respectively.

Attached picture 6493543-lifters002.jpg
Posted By: moparmxz

Re: Solid Flat Tappet Differences - 02/24/11 01:12 PM

Hey Mike what brand are those,they look like slant six lifters to me.

Re: Solid Flat Tappet Differences - 02/24/11 01:23 PM

Randy, I don't remember the name of manufacturer, they came in a Bullet Racing Cams box. The light one on the left is Mopar Perf., the middle one Comp. I was surprised of the difference in weight, and that the full bodied Mopar unit was lighter that the one from Bullet.
Posted By: Rapid340

Re: Solid Flat Tappet Differences - 02/24/11 01:46 PM

The MP solid lifter is the lightest two piece (hollow) I have measured.

Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Solid Flat Tappet Differences - 02/24/11 02:54 PM

Yes, the MP lifter is hollow inside. If you remove the clip, then the pushrod seat, you will see the space underneath.

Mike,
Can you make some measurements of the barbell shaped lifter? If you don't have a dial caliper, just to the 1/16" inch would still be informative.

Re: Solid Flat Tappet Differences - 02/24/11 03:18 PM

Jim, I have a dial caliper and will measure it when I get home, about 5 p.m. Are there any drawbacks to this design?
Posted By: BradH

Re: Solid Flat Tappet Differences - 02/24/11 03:28 PM

Are you aware that if you use the barbell design w/o bushed lifter bores, you will have NO oil pressure due to excessive oil getting past the cutout in the lifter body?

Re: Solid Flat Tappet Differences - 02/24/11 03:36 PM

Brad, That is what I was wondering, that's why I asked. Thanks. I guess these need to go back. Thanks.

Re: Solid Flat Tappet Differences - 02/25/11 01:22 AM

Jim, Here are the dimensions of the lifter. What's it designed for? Thanks for all replies.

Attached picture 6494601-lifter002.jpg
Posted By: Quicksilver440

Re: Solid Flat Tappet Differences - 02/25/11 01:41 AM

Quote:

Are you aware that if you use the barbell design w/o bushed lifter bores, you will have NO oil pressure due to excessive oil getting past the cutout in the lifter body?

Brad is correct...
Posted By: sam64

Re: Solid Flat Tappet Differences - 02/25/11 02:36 AM

if the top[.590]part doesn't come out of the lifter bore it shouldn't lose pressure,right.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Solid Flat Tappet Differences - 02/25/11 03:11 AM

If the top part does come out of the hole theres going to be some serious stabilty issues.

The barbell part is at the oil feed, but it will just fill and oil the bore more evenly. I dont see how it will lose all oil psi. Its going to fill and only leak out around the perimeter of the lifters bore. Its not going to Dump into a unpressurized opening.

Personally I dont like that new design. I like the full body better, but I guess the barbell could work just as well. But , your going to have to add the extra grams of excess oil of the filled part of the barbell handle to the overall lifters weight thats going to be pushed around.

The benefits if any is the full 360* lifter bore oiling vs just the regular side bore feed oiling. There may be some more slight oil leakage with loose bores but thats dousing the cam mostly. Maybe a poormans EDM lifter.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Solid Flat Tappet Differences - 02/25/11 03:22 AM

Quote:

Jim, Here are the dimensions of the lifter. What's it designed for? Thanks for all replies.

That looks like a solid lifter designed for a BB Chevy motor using .904( .903 modification on Chevy lifter bores ) lifter sizes
Posted By: 10 o to go

Re: Solid Flat Tappet Differences - 02/25/11 03:09 PM

We run mopars also they are lighter and been told 5 thousand under size. Comps are heavy .
But I had a mishap last year with one ,nobody has seen this happen .
We believe the lashcap broke and caused too much lash ,or the hole in lifter made too much lash broke lashcap .
witch came 1st chicken or egg.

Pic of it

Attached picture 6495452-CIMG0096.JPG

Re: Solid Flat Tappet Differences - 02/25/11 05:14 PM

Quote:

Jim, Here are the dimensions of the lifter.

Thanks Mike. I will put that info in my file.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Solid Flat Tappet Differences - 02/25/11 05:31 PM

I had about 8 mopar performace lifters do that over 3 ton 4 years! I used to carry spares and spare pushrods for road side fixes. then I heard some friends had the same failours with mopar performance lifters. bought Comp Cams lifters and never had another problem???

Re: Solid Flat Tappet Differences - 02/25/11 05:54 PM

Mike, for comparison
this is info I have for the Howards EDM face oiling lifters. They are overall slightly taller than the MP lifters, with an oil band that didn't give me any issues with 0.650" lift. Two sources had some variation in the numbers, but FWIW.

Attached picture 6495706-Howards_EDM_lifter1_dim.jpg

Re: Solid Flat Tappet Differences - 02/25/11 05:59 PM

And this is some other notes I have saved.

Attached picture 6495714-Lifter_solid_wt_dims.jpg

Re: Solid Flat Tappet Differences - 02/25/11 06:40 PM

Here is the best I can ESTIMATE, from this info. You better check if the barbell lifter cut out gets exposed at the bottom of the lifter bore when the cam is on the base circle (zero lift). It looks close. I don't have a dimension for that. The purple lines are approximately what I saw with my Howards lifters and a 0.650" lift cam (0.433 tappet lift).

Attached picture 6495786-Lifter_solid_dimensions2.jpg
Posted By: Quicksilver440

Re: Solid Flat Tappet Differences - 02/25/11 07:10 PM

Jim...it always amazes me how much info you compile.

Re: Solid Flat Tappet Differences - 02/25/11 07:22 PM

I save lots of info people post and some I measure myself. Like when I put the Howard's lifters in, I verified in my block the oil band was not near the top/bottom at max/zero lift. But I didn't write down an actual measurement, and getting between the cam and the bottom of the lifter bore, with the lifter in there, can be tough.

I really don't know what effect the large cut out will have on oil flowing from the oil galley around the lifter and out to the valley (clearance between lifter and bore). But there have been oil pressure problems reported with similar barbell lifters.
Posted By: 451Guy

Re: Solid Flat Tappet Differences - 02/25/11 07:24 PM

Quote:

Thanks Mike. I will put that info in my file.

Not only an I jealous of your car but now I am really jealous of your FILE! I have lots of the folders but most of them have nothing in them!

Keep up the good work your input is always valuable!!!
Posted By: Rapid340

Re: Solid Flat Tappet Differences - 02/25/11 09:20 PM

Quote:

I had about 8 mopar performace lifters do that over 3 ton 4 years! I used to carry spares and spare pushrods for road side fixes.

I have used these lifters with some very aggresive lobes and havent had this happen. They obviously are not as strong as a one piece but should be strong enough. Here are few things that could cause this kind of failure.

1) Wrong pushrod radius, soild lifter pushrod ball tips have the larger 5/16" radius for solid lifters (hydraulic lifter pushrods have a 50% smaller radius).

2) Not enough valve spring open and seat pressures.

3) Excessive valve lash, should never allow more than about .006 larger than the cam manufacturers spec.

Good idea to run pushrods with enough diameter and wall thickness for your cam/ application.
Posted By: 64hemi330sedan

Re: Solid Flat Tappet Differences - 02/25/11 11:33 PM

Quote:

We run mopars also they are lighter and been told 5 thousand under size. Comps are heavy .
But I had a mishap last year with one ,nobody has seen this happen .
We believe the lashcap broke and caused too much lash ,or the hole in lifter made too much lash broke lashcap .
witch came 1st chicken or egg.

Pic of it

no lash caps here. ive been there done that more than once.been lucky so far.replace the lifter and pushrod if needed.and carried on.

Re: Solid Flat Tappet Differences/Update - 03/21/11 02:14 PM

After talking with Bullet Cams Rep., I returned the "dumbbell" lifters and received a 2 piece design, I hope these are better than the MoPar ones. Look like 94 grams. Anybody had an issue with these? They told me again, all lifters they sell come from HyLift/Johnson...Thanks for all responses.

Attached picture 6541382-newlifter002.jpg

Re: Solid Flat Tappet Differences/Update - 03/24/11 03:11 PM

Anybody use these?
Posted By: 446acuda

Re: Solid Flat Tappet Differences/Update - 03/25/11 02:15 PM

Quote:

Anybody use these?

I used that style lifter in 440 with a small Ultradyne solid for 10 yrs(probably 50000+ miles) and then my brother used the same cam/lifters for the last 5 years. No problems at all.

Re: Solid Flat Tappet Differences/Update - 03/25/11 04:18 PM

Quote:

Anybody use these?

I haven't bought any Bullet/Johnson solid lifters. So I don't know about the metalurgy/heat treatment/machining, etc.

IMO, the design/style is fine. Avoid excessive lash, valve float, incorrect pushrod tip dia, etc so the pushrod seat insert doesn't crack.
© 2024 Moparts Forums