Moparts

Racers / Starting Line Games

Posted By: clonestocker

Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/16/11 03:45 AM

What kind of games have you played against an opponent?

This weekend at the track as a spectator and saw the great thing happen and about fell out of the bleachers. A racer known for playing game in Super Pro (11.99 car used to use a throttle stop on the big end /stuff like that)got burned! He was racing a 7.20 Dragster and was waiting for the dragster to do his burnout cross the line and back up. The dragster driver had something else on his mind. He did a 4ft burnout and drove into the lights and lit both bulbs. The other driver had'nt even started his burnout yet. Needless to say it worked. The other driver went RED! matt
Posted By: Eric

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/16/11 03:59 AM

Someone does that to me and I'm makin' a samich while he waits
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/16/11 05:39 AM

Ever heard of courtesy staging? The group I race with adheres to it. They should make it manditory at all tracks and events. It would end the game playing.
Posted By: rebel

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/16/11 06:08 AM

we are supposed to courtesy stage but the turbo boys don't have time as they want to stage first & get the turbo spooled up. when we courtesy stage, once one racer goes in full, the other has 10 seconds to stage but that rule don't apply if the first racer hasn't waited in pre-stage. this is where i have my fun. i'll sit in pre-stage & give the limter for the burnout a few taggs while in N. the turbo boys start winding up but i just sit in pre-stage for a minute or more. when they back off from getting hot, my startline crew give me the signal & i quickly drop into deepstage & hit the limiter. starter drops the lights & i'm gone & the turbo car has a temporary bogg with the hot intercooler & an unspooled turbo. this p*ss*s the turbo boys off no end & my excuse is... i have to clear the carb, i'm old school sorry. LMAO.
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/16/11 06:09 AM

If someone Dbl bulbs me they are gonna be sitting there for a loooooooong time.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/16/11 06:13 AM

Quote:

What kind of games have you played against an opponent?

This weekend at the track as a spectator and saw the great thing happen and about fell out of the bleachers. A racer known for playing game in Super Pro (11.99 car used to use a throttle stop on the big end /stuff like that)got burned! He was racing a 7.20 Dragster and was waiting for the dragster to do his burnout cross the line and back up. The dragster driver had something else on his mind. He did a 4ft burnout and drove into the lights and lit both bulbs. The other driver had'nt even started his burnout yet. Needless to say it worked. The other driver went RED! matt

Games are for kids I hate game players, I do get even Game players are usually very easy to "game"
Posted By: Irun5snd8th

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/16/11 06:35 AM

Quote:

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/16/11 03:49 PM

Quote:

Not to worry with our group. You double bulb your opponent, you go home. That is made very clear at the drivers meeting. No exceptions. Once you are both pre-staged, your on the timer with the stage light - 7 seconds. Everyone knows exactly what to expect. I think it's one of the reasons why the RT's are so good - and consistant ( except for mine of course )
Posted By: MegaDart

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/16/11 04:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Not to worry with our group. You double bulb your opponent, you go home. That is made very clear at the drivers meeting. No exceptions. Once you are both pre-staged, your on the timer with the stage light - 7 seconds. Everyone knows exactly what to expect. I think it's one of the reasons why the RT's are so good - and consistant ( except for mine of course )

that is incorrect at least around here. One racer must be STAGED in order to activate the 7sec countdown. What they will do around here is wait till you prestage, then they jump in light both bulbs then back out, your timer is on at that point.

I LOVE playing starting line games. It's as much fun as the race, remember this is a GAME. Like bluffing in poker.
Although I usually lose after a burndown I have been in my share. In fact, I chose to get in one at Nitro Jam. Had a very good SuperGas racer in 1st round, he is also a friend. I had run 9.900 on my last tt but felt I needed an advantage to beat him. As we both sat there I could see him talking with his crewcheif (headsets) about what to do. Neither of us were moving then he went in about 2" and stopped. I never moved. Being a National event I started to think they might get pizzed at us so I went in. He had decided the same thing but I lit first and this threw him off as he likes to stage last. -.006 on his side, good thing too cause I missed the tree. Ironically neither of us saw the redlite and raced to the finish. He was about 10' in front of me so I dumped scrubbing 7mph, ran 9.897 to his 9.91 but had already won!
Posted By: plasticfantastic

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/16/11 04:04 PM

4 foot burnout and stage is good, wish i could have seen that.

everyone has thier own procedure, my personal thought is if someone can influence you to change your procedure, if they can make you deviate from your normal routine, then they accomplished what they wanted to do, its not an advantage to get a better light or anything, its an opportunity to make you put extra thoughts in your head in the hopes that breaking up your procedure will make you mess up by forgetting something, or any number of things.

if they are staged right away, maybe they had a mistake and went in by accident? i personally cant stand the ones that flip it in reverse and back out once staged, i think that should be an automatic lose.

i dont like games, if someone thinks they are playing a game while racing me, it doesnt matter to me, I still try to do the same thing each time regardless if they are double bulbing me or anything, i dont feel rushed... i'm lucky that mike runs the car on e85, so its easy to keep at temp no matter how long on the line, run an alternator, seat is comfy, got a fan i can turn on... when its time, i can roll it in stage, press the button and stand on it and i'm good to go.

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/16/11 05:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I LOVE playing starting line games.

Sorry, but I don't take your view. Yes, the first to stage ( turn on the second bulb ) starts the timer. After you turn on the first bulb, there aint no backing out. With the first bulb, you are telling the starter you are ready to race. You back out, you go home. It's all about competing, but in a friendly enviornment. Also, at ADRA events, you are random paired by the ADRA manager for each round. First name called = left lane and second name = right lane. Ether driver, if he doesn't like his lane, can ask for a coin flip for lane choice. Bye run is random pick also. I personnelly like it. When I run at events outside the ADRA (where some delight in game playing and they think it gives them the edge ), I pay little attention to the other lane ( often don't even know what the car is ). I just follow my normal routine. If I can cut a good light and run the number, I will win. The rest doesn't matter.
Posted By: 6bblRoadrunner

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/16/11 05:57 PM

I remember one of my first races back in the early '80s up at Central Michigan (now Mid-Michigan Motorplex). Sunday bracket race. I was in my just completed '70 BB Duster...running 10.90's. If you're familiar with this track, the staging lanes make a hard left, then dump into the water box (this was before they had the tower going over the water box). Anyway, I'm in the left staging lane pullin up to make my left turn, and this tool in the right lane cuts me off so he can run the left lane. I was a little pissed, but oh well. Took my time doing my burnout and staging while he waited. We both stage, and I get the green (he's running an 8 sec car). I probably get to maybe the 1/8th mile and start looking for him...all I see is smoke back at the starting line. Karma....
Posted By: mopar376d

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/16/11 06:00 PM

I don't play starting line games but I welcome them.

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/16/11 06:28 PM

Quote:

I don't play starting line games but I welcome them.

Yep, game players don't usually win, cause they don't follow a set routine. They are too busy focusing on the other guy, rather than what they should be doing. Sand-bagers also fall in this catagory - IMO.
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/16/11 06:46 PM

i not a gamer either,
i run my lane ,
only thing that distracks me is stupid starters
come over look at youre car, walk out in front , mop something
make you back out , ,then put you right back in,
walk over see if you got youre belts on ,
that bothers me
you be up there, doing the staging stuff , this guy walks up to the car looks thru the window, walks back, and way you go
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/16/11 06:48 PM

Don't mind the games I run alcohol But having to flip for lane choice I say the faster car should have it,the fair way of doing it would be who ever gets in it 1st.But then you have everyone lining up behind each other Makes the race faster and ends all for lane choice. You should a least have some "Perks" if you got $75,000 car and running a $7,500 car.

I also like the racers that are holding back # against me,I dare them to use them
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/16/11 06:53 PM

Games are for kids. A good, experienced driver is not going to be rattled, so what's the point?

Myself, I could care less. I'll light the prestage and wait for the opponent to ligth his. Then, I don't car, I'll stage when I'm ready. If the other guy wants to play games, have it. Couldn't care less.
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/16/11 07:34 PM

I dont see the problem...
who cares if he runs up there and turns on both bulbs before the other guy starts his burn out. No timers can start.
He should have just took his time with the burn out and staged the car when he was ready.
Posted By: sc301v

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/16/11 11:45 PM

Quote:

I also like the racers that are holding back # against me,I dare them to use them

Dont race many big buck races then do ya???
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/16/11 11:53 PM

I don't play games...Unless it is a crotch rocket... I try to do the same thing each and every time.
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 12:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Dont race many big buck races then do ya???

Not sure what that means.
These sand baggers need to come down here and race. We will take your money anytime.
Your either breaking out, or no where near the dial in, any case your in the buy back line around these local sharks.
Heck the foot break class guys run dead one and cut the tree down like the have delay box's.
Posted By: sam64

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 12:37 AM

if you think owning a 75,000.00 bracket car should give you perks i'll bet it crushes your ego when a low buck car puts you out.more money doesn't make a better racer,usually just makes spoiled brats.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 12:44 AM

Here in Div One deep staging is allowed, I personally don`t but several guys in my Class do. The guy who finished #1 in Points at my track, Won the Bracket Finals and went to Pomona deep stages. His routine rattled me at first, he does a quick short burn out and stages real fast, it throws a lot of guys off. After losing to him a couple of times, I just block him out of my mind, ignore his staging routine and do my own thing. I`ve raced him a few times and Won a couple. We both run 11.50s ( slowed down from 10s) but he has a slow 60ft( high 1.70s) and big mph (120) I have a good 60ft ( 1.52-54) and not so big mph ( high 114)its fun to race him, I`m out on him by 2-3 car lengths and at the stripe he`s right there next to me.
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 12:56 AM

I had a young guy, driving his dad's car, double bulb me. (I'm sure he was coached)
I took a little longer to get staged than usual.

He went red. The only people to ever NOT congtatulate me on a win, after losing.

Chevy guys.

Here's another good one.......

"That's an awful lot of time in your box."
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 01:06 AM

the whole game thing cracks me up. i race my lane. i have my procedure. i do my burnout, and as soon as the starter directs us to the line, i go. i almost always light the top bulb first. if not, i don't care. if the other guy thinks i lit it to fast, and wants to make me wait, i don't care. i'm happy to wait all day if he wants. if he deep stages, i don't care. if he double bulbs me, i don't care. probably 9 times out of 10, they'll approach me after the run and sheepishly apologize for double bulbing me. i don't care. i gladly accept their apology. "how come you're not mad? some guys get real mad." I DON"T CARE. play away, and have fun. i will, too. have fun, that is.
Posted By: RemCharger

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 01:34 AM

Quote:

Here in Div One deep staging is allowed, I personally don`t but several guys in my Class do. The guy who finished #1 in Points at my track, Won the Bracket Finals and went to Pomona deep stages. His routine rattled me at first, he does a quick short burn out and stages real fast, it throws a lot of guys off. After losing to him a couple of times, I just block him out of my mind, ignore his staging routine and do my own thing. I`ve raced him a few times and Won a couple. We both run 11.50s ( slowed down from 10s) but he has a slow 60ft( high 1.70s) and big mph (120) I have a good 60ft ( 1.52-54) and not so big mph ( high 114)its fun to race him, I`m out on him by 2-3 car lengths and at the stripe he`s right there next to me.

This is my program to a Tee. One of my favourites was when the #2 guy (cough-cough) came up beside me in his 500 duster, left me in the dust, after I left the line first, hes out 1/2 track wondering what the hell just happened. About 100 feet from the stripe I damn-near run over him and have to chomp the sideways pedal, so I don't take too much stripe. The best part about the story is he's the main bagger at our track. He couldn't figure out why this just happened to him.
Posted By: Mr. T

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 02:06 AM

I think what sc301v was referring to was that you must not travel much to races that pay $5,000K or more to the winner. If you did, you would see a LOT of racers that hold numbers or sandbag as you call it, at high dollar races.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 02:15 AM

He tried to talk me into setting my car up like his, big converter instead of an 8 inch like I have now, I considered it but I just finished my best year of racing ( in 25 plus years) with 5 Wins so I have the car were I want it plus I like the hard leave.

Attached picture 6479890-002.JPG
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 02:17 AM

I don't deal w/ DB at the lights or play games. Do your burn out and get in the beams. If you wait forever I'll go deep, if you try and go in real quick I will too. I have a slow car, so it's not going to kill me. I do my burn out creep up light the 1st wait if needed light the 2nd....at my track if you take forever they start the tree no matter if you are staged or not. Like wise if you bring both bulbs up quick they will back you out or make you wait. The only time I played agame is when some dude almost took my fender off because he wanted near lane..I took my time in the box and staging. He lost.
Posted By: 10 o to go

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 02:17 AM

GIR if you double bulb me ,I have the starter back him out or just take my time ,no timer starts till I get my 1st bulb on .He could back up if I don't have a bulb on .
Or if I think its a mistake he might be too deep leave him alone .
Depending on what class I'm racing and who put dial on let them crossover and change it ,Of course before the do not change dial in pass this line .
I've learned also i stay with my opponent even if he says go ahead while he is getting ready
DR

Attached picture 6479898-BKD9-11-01_302C.jpg
Posted By: fasteddie

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 02:23 AM

Quote:

the whole game thing cracks me up. i race my lane. i have my procedure. i do my burnout, and as soon as the starter directs us to the line, i go. i almost always light the top bulb first. if not, i don't care. if the other guy thinks i lit it to fast, and wants to make me wait, i don't care. i'm happy to wait all day if he wants. if he deep stages, i don't care. if he double bulbs me, i don't care. probably 9 times out of 10, they'll approach me after the run and sheepishly apologize for double bulbing me. i don't care. i gladly accept their apology. "how come you're not mad? some guys get real mad." I DON"T CARE. play away, and have fun. i will, too. have fun, that is.

This is the mark of a smart racer. Nothing that happens in the other lane changes what happens in his lane.
Posted By: Eric

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 02:23 AM

Quote:

I think what sc301v was referring to was that you must not travel much to races that pay $5,000K or more to the winner. If you did, you would see a LOT of racers that hold numbers or sandbag as you call it, at high dollar races.

When I went to Nat Trail for the 10k I held 4-6 mph while running on the T/S ...don't tell anyone
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 02:32 AM

one of the best grudge races i've seen,last yr englishtown nj..no lie was about 4 min's to stage a yellow beast of a duster against a big $ capri looked like a stang,,ne ways duster wins $ but flips on top end...capri complete total do to an engine fire! whatta game a chicked!

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 02:35 AM

Quote:

if you think owning a 75,000.00 bracket car should give you perks i'll bet it crushes your ego when a low buck car puts you out.more money doesn't make a better racer,usually just makes spoiled brats.

yes well this dragster is $75,000, but this one over here is $80,000, so he gets lane choice... not sure who has more wrapped up in the car, break out the reciepts and prove it.
Posted By: wafflebatter

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 02:46 AM

speaking of dragsters...go the 10 grands at norwalk and watch the games they all pull at the starting line...they all back into the beams to light the prestage, then make the other guy stage first and wait 8-9 seconds to stage, does'nt bother me to race them, because I do my own routine, but gets annoying to watch, because it seems they all do it
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 02:46 AM

I am the only car on the starting line......I burnout and stage.....if his light is on mines next.....doesn't matter to me 1st or 2nd or last to light'm up.....I am the only car up there.....no rush.....just do my thing

Rickster

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 03:07 AM

After reading all this, I finally have a valid reason for getting my Concealed Weapons Permit
Posted By: nhramark

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 03:10 AM

Normally I don't pay much attention to the other lane when staging, I light the pre stage & stage when I'm ready and then just stare at my bulb until it comes on.

I got in a pretty good burn down once because this dude was lipping off all night about how he never stages first, EVER. I happened to get paired up with him later and decided since I'm on alcohol and he wasn't, I'll just sit there till he goes in. Really pissed the starter off too.

I don't even remember who finally went in first or who won. I just remember I let that guy get to me. Never again. What do I care if the other guy stages first or not?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 03:29 AM

Most times I never really know what car is in the
other lane... I look at the board when I'm in the box
to see who leaves first and see what color the other
car is thats about it... I run my lane and my race
weather I need to lift or not based on my dial
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 03:40 AM

All is fair from the burnout box to the finish line. Any tendency or weakness, anything that will lead to my opponent being less sharp, or making a mistake, it's my duty to exploit it.
This usually pertains to points racing, either on the local or Divisional level, where I know my opponents, and we are out for blood. I'm at a Mopar, or specialty race, or just a friday night deal, I race straight up, plain vanilla, could care less what happens.
I've never understood the "just race my lane" crowd...I'm not trying to cut a perfect light, and make a perfect run, I'm trying to beat the guy beside me, sometimes that means being better, sometimes it just means being less worse!!!

I'm statistically much better on the tree when I stage last (pro tree, heads up) and more than a few of my competitors know that, so they try to wait, and a burndown ensues. I MUST defend my right to go in last, if I gave in and staged first, everyone who saw that would say, 'I'm gonna hang Billy out, and make him go in". When they see me in a long burndown, and see the starter in my side glass more than once...then they decide, "it's not worth it against him, I'll just stage".

I'm no different than a batter who studies, and keep stats on pichers, to get an advantage, and know what's coming. I don't play games, everything is pre-meditated, based on who I am racing.

I'll give one example:
There is a Super Street racer from Nor-Cal, who is deadly on the tree, just amazing. Doesn't always race the big-end well, but the best leaver in Division 7. While watching him with my buddies, we discovered he always lets the other racer turn on the top bulb first, then double bulbs. So we decided to force him to turn his top bulb on first then have to wait for us to turn on ours (courtesy stageing), it was weird, having a burndown before the first bulb was even on, but it worked!! He lost to 3 AZ racers, 3 division races in a row, with sub-par lights...he even approached me and made the comment, "Man, you AZ guys take a long time to pull up to the tree!!!"

Attached picture 6480114-75459106.Y3cDcVzG.SportsmanFriday5.jpg
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 03:47 AM

Wow. I try to know as much as possible about the racer in the opposite lane. That allows me to sharpen up or dull my shoe polish. As far as double bulb staging, the first thing I ask in tech, is the stage to start time. I make them ask the owner. I had a quarters race for 5,000, decided on a quick increment. I.e, they double bulbed, I prestaged, and the tree started almost instantly when I final staged, and I don't fool around.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 04:27 AM

How about all the nitrous hoopies that add the BOTTLE for top end games.
Posted By: Whompin_Wedge

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 04:48 AM

I dont really play games at the tree, But i can remember Nick Bowman racing Super pro in his street duster at Norwalk a couple years back. He would do his burnout quick and deepstage then open the door and stare at the other guy before he prestaged. It was some funny stuff.. but he runnered-up in the gamblers race in super pro doing that.. It was amazing props to him

Casey
Posted By: Jacob Pitt

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 01:07 PM

I'm not a game player at all. I think it's cheap. But if they want to play games with me then they just ordered themselves a yellow time slip.

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 01:15 PM

Quote:

How about all the nitrous hoopies that add the BOTTLE for top end games.

it is called spray'n dump, and is a very effective strategy when executed properly.

Funny listening to all you guys, anything goes on the race track, within the rules that is. I'll bet you guys stink at poker too!!

Double bulbing should never be allowed, courtesy staging should be enforced but rarely is. I've been dbl bulbed numerous times but only had my opponent backed out once, at last years Nitro Jam.

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 01:19 PM

Quote:

Wow. I try to know as much as possible about the racer in the opposite lane.

I race at a bunch of different track with a bunch of
different guys... like I'm going to know what his quirks
are... might be different if you race the same track
and the same guys... I know what my car does and what
it will run... its just up to me to get the light
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 01:33 PM

When I had my mustang I used to race it at a "mustang vs grand national" shootout near oklahoma city. Its a heads up deal with a single round of eliminations. The buicks had a better field this year and I found myself running a buick that was almost a second faster than me. I was to scared of the sticky track to use the nitrous(stock axles 5 speed) so when we got staged I slung mine on the rev limiter and honked the horn.(both cars are not that loud). It ALMOST worked haha, I got way out on him but he took my headlights with him as he flew by at 1000ft. It did score me a nice "go die" look as he drove by me in the pits lol.

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 02:03 PM

Mr sc301v & Mr T Big $$$ Bracket Racing is not only what I like but LOVE,if you like playing "GAMES" line up beside me.
My MOTTO is....
"IF YOU WANT TO BE THE MAN'YOU GOT TO BEAT THE MAN"

I also like to do a little "Grudge-Racing"

Hint-Hint hold all the numbers you want on me,Make My Day Use Some Of Them Against Me

Most of the Big $$$ (and you did not think I run any ) down here in the South is 1/8 mile. And it does Make My Day to see them # holders trying to tighten up the race at the finish line....almost forgot to tell Ya my Mopar-Powered dragster will run a tad over 150 MPH in the 1/8 get the idea

Attached picture 6480568-102rt.jpg.jpg

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 02:14 PM

Quote:

Hint-Hint hold all the numbers you want on me,Make My Day Use Some Of Them Against Me

Come to Bradenton or race any of the Winter Series for that matter and you might understand? Five of the last Million dollar race winners are from my home track, and they all hold #'s. I don't know how they do it? But they do and they win, every time I try that game I lose!
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 02:35 PM

I'm not smart enough to hold numbers . I watched Jeggie win Top Dragster at St Louis last year. He dialed 6.60 every round and womped the throttle at least once in every round. In the final he womped it twice and ran 6.600 . Luck or skill? We were sitting just past the 1/8 mile mark, you could see him looking at his opponent as he came by.

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 02:37 PM

i am amazed at all the people that post here implying that they can conciously control what happens... if this person is holding numbers i'll send him packing... if that person double bulbs me i'll put him on the trailer...

my guess is that when someone does something that someone doesnt like, or thinks is "unfair" and they ended up beating them, for whatever reason, they automatically think its because they played the "game" better then the other person...

you can sit there for a month and make the person wait if he double bulbs you, you can do whatever it is that makes you think you are in control of the situation, but it boils down to putting together a better package then the other person, you can be practicing voodoo in your trailer between rounds, is it going to make a difference? NO. Do games make a difference? only if you let them.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 03:33 PM

I don't get to race often enough to learn about opponents, or get real good at judging the finish line. I do OK, but there are many guys running ten times the rounds per year that I do. So I prep with that in mind, focusing on my run to be the best ever. I do my best to treat every pass down the track the same whether it is a time trial or first round. Same procedure, no worrying about the other lane at all. That all starts at the far end, when I HAVE TO.
Some times game playing isn't intentional, like the time i had my two step set too low for my carb setup. The motor had to drop so many cylinders it created a huge back fire as the tree came down. The other guy looked over, and that was it for him.
In the end, it is focus on your own race that will win the most rounds, given you can run a very tight package. The minute your mind wanders, you are usually toast.
Posted By: kissmyaspen

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 03:43 PM

why not play some games makes it a lot more fun. and if your going to let someone double bulb u get into your head ill do it all day to you.. some people just let a dial-in get in there head when they are catching a much slower car. im not scared of anyone ill race who ever when ever, anyone can be beat on any given day.
Posted By: 69B3GT

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 03:51 PM

Quote:

why not play some games makes it a lot more fun. and if your going to let someone double bulb u get into your head ill do it all day to you.. some people just let a dial-in get in there head when they are catching a much slower car. im not scared of anyone ill race who ever when ever, anyone can be beat on any given day.

My friend with a 5.0 keeps about how he is gonna beat my dart, im gonna double bulb him (he does horrible when rushed ) and not let him know about the borrowed plate under the carb. That is, if I ever finish this thing

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 05:14 PM

OK I'll fess up I hold a few # myself sometimes,but make no mistake I'm not afraid to pull those # out of the delay box and use them.

If I catch you and I'm faster than you at the finish line I may womp it a time or two,just to make sure I'm safe on my dial. But never because I'm holding back any #.If you dial a 7:00 flat it matters not how many # you are holding if you run a 6:99.9 you lose.

If we could have as much fun playing games at the track as we are having know it would be fine!!! But let's all be Honest the ones of us that are real racers(no disrespect to the ones just having fun)we go there to win. And I don't know about the rest of you,but I have to win a little $$$ in order to race.The Wife says you win no $$$ you no RACE
No MONEY LEFT.
Bucky Todd Sr started calling me Mopar back in the late70's & early
80's might be about time to change it to "NO MONEY"

Everyone I'm only playing games & having a little fun with you all on the computer.On the Race (and I'm better on the race-track than this computer)track I will race you straight up NO GAMES Unless you really want to play games

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 05:22 PM

ok, i thought the title of the thread was STARTING LINE GAMES. "my bad". and i didn't realize dumping it at the big end is a game. it's common sense to me. i ain't breaking out! i dial what i think my turd is gonna run, but if i'm out on my opponent, you bet i'll dump it! i've had more than one track champ chew on me for taking the stripe by more than i had to.
Posted By: Craig

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 05:47 PM

Quote:

Some times game playing isn't intentional, like the time i had my two step set too low for my carb setup. The motor had to drop so many cylinders it created a huge back fire as the tree came down. The other guy looked over, and that was it for him.

That's hilarious! Sounds like something that would happen to me. I'm still laughing, I can picture that perfectly!
Posted By: JACK1440

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 06:45 PM

I had never heard of cortius staging until about 2 years ago. What I do remember is being a young racer and having the old timers sit there and burn me down for what seemed like an eternity. my style is to light the 1st bulb and wait till the other car rolls in before staging the 2nd. Guess if I had one of those cars that took a lot of preperation I wouldn't like being double bulbed either.

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/17/11 07:27 PM

My friend double bulbs ALL the time... last year we
were on Drag Week and I finally told him... why do
you light up both bulbs all the time before the other
guys is not even close to the lights... he said NO
I DONT... till I showed him video he never payed any
attention to it... then I asked why dont you courteous
stage... I'm not sure he knew about it till I told him...
he's working on it(and getting better but sometimes
forgets)

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/18/11 03:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Come to Bradenton or race any of the Winter Series for that matter and you might understand? Five of the last Million dollar race winners are from my home track, and they all hold #'s. I don't know how they do it? But they do and they win, every time I try that game I lose!

They "FENDER RACE" and are Damn Good at it

Rickster

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/18/11 03:01 PM

The Million $$$ race will be @ MMP this year,maybe all of us can get together
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/18/11 03:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That's hilarious! Sounds like something that would happen to me. I'm still laughing, I can picture that perfectly!

Craig, the backfire was so huge it lit up the whole underside of the car in the daylight!
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/18/11 04:49 PM

I just do my thing, quick burn out to put a little heat in the tires and clean em up then I stage and wait for the other guy, if he is farting around backing up and inching forward then backing up again or gettin out feeling up his tires or anything to hold up the race I light em both up, I don't go to the track to play those games, I just wanna race.
Posted By: slippery440

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/18/11 05:19 PM

Quote:

I just do my thing, quick burn out to put a little heat in the tires and clean em up then I stage and wait for the other guy, if he is farting around backing up and inching forward then backing up again or gettin out feeling up his tires or anything to hold up the race I light em both up, I don't go to the track to play those games, I just wanna race.

And that does what to make the other driver get in any faster? You "light em both up" and like it has been said before I would be eating a sandwich and getting a nap. The starting line games are only played in the minds of the guys who think it works.Anyone that has done this long enough knows that no matter what is going on in the other lane you are racing yourself and the tree.Even when I get double bulb I just smile and just continue my deal but alot slower.

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/18/11 05:22 PM

Quote:

The starting line games are only played in the minds of the guys who think it works.

bingo.

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/18/11 05:37 PM

Who's gonna be the 1st to start the Bump drafting in Drag-Racing

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/18/11 08:47 PM

Quote:

OK I'll fess up I hold a few # myself sometimes,but make no mistake I'm not afraid to pull those # out of the delay box and use them.

youre not afraid to pull those nummbers out of the box to change your reaction???

the guy double bulbs you so you take .005 out of your delay?

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/18/11 11:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

youre not afraid to pull those nummbers out of the box to change your reaction???

the guy double bulbs you so you take .005 out of your delay?

Yeah I dont get that

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/18/11 11:43 PM

Do the 2 of you know anything about a delay box? I think you set them either in the pits or in the staging lanes,not when you and the other man is staged. What are the 2 of you talking about?

That might be better in the Funny things you hear at the track.What do you do when the other guy double bulbs you pull .005 out of the delay box

Ok if I'm not staged & the other person double bulbs me....he's in for a long wait I run alcohol,if I'm already staged I just roll in turn on my last bulb get on the trans brake & hopefully cut a good light and the car runs the number. HOPE THAT HELPS Y'ALL OUT.

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/18/11 11:51 PM

Quote:

Do the 2 of you know anything about a delay box? I think you set them either in the pits or in the staging lanes,not when you and the other man is staged. What are the 2 of you talking about?

I know plenty about a delay box, I run a 400 Biondo...
WHY would you change your reaction time because he
D bulbs you... maybe you dont know them
You shouldnt be changing ANYTHING in the box

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/18/11 11:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Not for that anywho

Rickster

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/19/11 12:05 AM

Looks like we may need to get up some Grudge-Races on here
Posted By: Super Scamp

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/19/11 12:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Not for that anywho

Rickster

Well what can I add to this double bulbing go in first, light the tree second, set the staging timer, bump up or down the Mega. hit the button twice to get a better leave on a aponent that races the stripe and is a .010 on the light every time. Notta thing..
I love to race anyone with a game playing attitude When in the staging lanes I put my # on the window, They all know that the car is running that # all day. No games here just line up and lets go...
I will grudge match if we are bracket racing and your car is matched to race in the 9 and faster class.

Attached picture 6483045-2010TT002.jpg

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/19/11 02:53 AM

Quote:

Do the 2 of you know anything about a delay box?

I guess not since I have no idea what you are talking about when you say you hold numbers, but arent afraid to take them out of the delay box.

so explain your statement to me.

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/19/11 02:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The starting line games are only played in the minds of the guys who think it works.

bingo.

Ignorance is not an excuse for arrogance. I study the numbers, I look at the facts, many of you aren't nearly as cool on the starting line as you think you are.
The typical 1st round in SST is 18-24 hours AFTER your last time run, and we are typically the first or second class down the track..."Hit the tree and run the number"..yeah right!!! In 4 years of SST Divisional racing I was 19-10 in first rounds, which is pretty impressive at that level especially considering I am a subpar driver, (Yeah the stats bear that out too). Luckily Drag Racing is like sex, you don't have to be particularly good at it to enjoy it.

Bottom line,
I've raced enough to learn that there are far and away more rounds of racing lost due to mistakes, than there are won by great runs down the track. Enjoy the great runs, study and learn from the mistakes...If you don't want to learn about your opponents, at least learn about yourself.

Attached picture 6483320-Copyofdiv5start.jpg

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/19/11 03:21 AM

Super scamp:
I mainly race on a pro tree, but occasionally when I bracket race on a full tree and my buddies start talking about 2 hits, and bumping down...my eyes glaze over...I know my Mega 450 will do it, but I'm lucky to let go on time ONCE!

Plastic:
My Mega 450 is on the dash in front of the steering wheel in plain veiw, and easy reach. My friends often laugh at how many times they see me changing my delay, or my T-stop timer from the burn-out to staging. Guy in front of me goes red, I add .005 delay everytime...superstition, and puts me at eaze, I HATE redlights. Sun in my eyes, take some out, unexpected cloud cover put some in. Something stupid happens between the burnout and staging I'll add a few because I get amped. I don't determine my delay amount off my previous lights, as much as I do off the in-car DRT tester in the mega 450. I take 3 hits when I'm 4 or 5 cars back everytime, and record those in my logbook. Then compare them to what I do before eliminations. Maybe I'm overthinking it, Maybe not.
Posted By: CraigS

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/19/11 03:26 AM

Delay boxes are lame.
game players are lame.
line em up ,turn em on, and lets race.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/19/11 03:32 AM

Quote:

Delay boxes are lame.
game players are lame.
line em up ,turn em on, and lets race.

da da duh duh duh duh duh duh duh.
Posted By: slippery440

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/19/11 03:50 AM

MoparBilly 19-10 IS REAL GOOD!! I gess I didn't get the point of your post thu.Are you saying you play games with the other driver because you have studied him and know what would throw him off? I learn from my mistakes beleive that.But what goes on in the other lane I could care less.I know who leaves first and how much faster or slower the other car is. Thats all I need to know. As soon as both cars are staged I am on the two step looking at the bottom bulb.
You said-- Luckly dragracing is like sex, you don't have to be particulary good at it to ejoy it. Now thats funny!!
Dragracing I can get thru the first round .The other thing well I can get thru the first round but I fall asleep in the second one.Dam old age.
Off subject alittle.Are you serious 18-24 hours before you get into the first round? Thats crazy.I would be worn out doing nothing for that long.
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/19/11 03:57 AM

Quote:

I've raced enough to learn that there are far and away more rounds of racing lost due to mistakes, than there are won by great runs down the track.

the summery of this entire thread, the driver that makes the fewest mistakes wins...and that doesn't come in any electronic box.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/19/11 03:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I've raced enough to learn that there are far and away more rounds of racing lost due to mistakes, than there are won by great runs down the track.

the summery of this entire thread, the driver that makes the fewest mistakes wins...and that doesn't come in any electronic box.

Lies, I learn to race by sitting on the computer .... that is my box Who needs the racetrack.

Happy Friday everyone.
Posted By: nss guy

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/19/11 04:23 AM

Starting line games???
I thought everything depended on how big your tow rig is.....
toter, stacker, 5th wheel......
that's what makes the difference in winning and losing

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/19/11 05:20 AM

Quote:

Plastic:
My Mega 450 is on the dash in front of the steering wheel in plain veiw, and easy reach. My friends often laugh at how many times they see me changing my delay, or my T-stop timer from the burn-out to staging. Guy in front of me goes red, I add .005 delay everytime...superstition, and puts me at eaze, I HATE redlights. Sun in my eyes, take some out, unexpected cloud cover put some in. Something stupid happens between the burnout and staging I'll add a few because I get amped. I don't determine my delay amount off my previous lights, as much as I do off the in-car DRT tester in the mega 450. I take 3 hits when I'm 4 or 5 cars back everytime, and record those in my logbook. Then compare them to what I do before eliminations. Maybe I'm overthinking it, Maybe not.

so you race a throttle stop, and you change your throttle stop settings through your mega450, and you do this when you think people are playing starting line games with you... so you change the cars set up (let go of some numbers), but you cant change the dial in thats on the boards, gotcha.
do you bracket race a throttle stop?

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/19/11 06:58 AM

Quote:

I disagree James,

Lets say I pull to the line, let go of the trans brake on time, and run the car all the way to the finish line.
The delay box is set at .025, and the T-stop timer has 1.82 in it, I go .002 on tree and run 10.901....003 package, perfect, almost unbeatable.

Lets say I did everything the same, and the delay is .020.. I go .003 red, the race is over before I clear the tree.

Lets say I did everything the same, but had 1.92 in the t-stop timer, and ran 10.951 out the back on my 10.90 dial, and some guy is whopping the throttle on the big end and making me look like an idiot.

In all 3 intances the driver and the car repeated perfectly, and the numbers the crewchief put in that electronic box spelled the difference between victory and abject failure.

Craig,
You probably think the DH is lame, the 24 second clock, the 3 point line? Still wished football players wore leather helmets, and everyone raced on pie crust slicks with straight axles, and dual point distributors? Hmm, I'm 46 years old, and never once in my life have I ever been compelled to call anything "lame".

Attached picture 6483799-IMAGE0003.JPG
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/19/11 01:20 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9towVRG6KA

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/19/11 01:30 PM

Quote:

I do, and it is loads of fun! Talk about messing with your opponent! Let's start another thread!
I think what James was saying even in box racing data input is done by the racer so all responsibility for a loss or win is his, not the box.
Posted By: mopar376d

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/19/11 02:01 PM

Quote:

Starting line games???
I thought everything depended on how big your tow rig is.....
toter, stacker, 5th wheel......
that's what makes the difference in winning and losing

Now that is some funny shyttt

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/19/11 06:18 PM

Quote:

Super scamp:
I mainly race on a pro tree, but occasionally when I bracket race on a full tree and my buddies start talking about 2 hits, and bumping down...my eyes glaze over...I know my Mega 450 will do it, but I'm lucky to let go on time ONCE!

That's the problem Not having the time to push the button and hit the bottom bulb I know that with a car that is very consistant on a good day, my hitting the first amber is my job. To hit any other button while waiting to leave is a split second be on your game finger pushing 50/50 chance you made the right choice. knowing that your apponent is holding # he leaves first, I will chase him down and take the stripe. That's why I like racing dragsters.... Never lift.

Attached picture 6484353-SuperScamp003.JPG

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/19/11 10:54 PM

Its 76 degrees outside now will be that again tomorrow. We have 2 tracks that are going to be open tomorrow Anybody want some dragster tomorrow

There is some more good news,I have had some problems with a thief. Come home on Christmas eve saw a truck parked across the street,did not pay it any mind. A few hours later my wife asked why I had pulled some of my metal out in the yard. Last Wednesday come home the man next door had run a man out of my yard after my metal again same mo. I turned his tag # over to the PD and told I wanted to press charges. Well yesterday I come home & caught him in the yard. Lets just say I held him to the police arrived to take him to jail.Now to get to the racing part of it If you don't think my reaction time is good just call the Valley PD and ask the thief who was in my yard.
Sorry for telling all of that,I thought it would make me feel better but it just made me mad again We are going out of town next weekend I bet the S*B won't come back in my yard.

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/20/11 12:50 AM

Good going Mr. Quick You caught him with the quick recation, and a quick beeting to the ground.
About the weekend I will have to pass this weekend ,But I'm going to Bristol May 21 for the THREE TWENTYS 12,500 THURSDAY/20,000 FRIDAY/20,000 SATURDAY/ AND 20,000 SUNDAY...Last year I was the only Mopar car there.

Attached picture 6484964-2010TT002.jpg
Posted By: CraigS

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/22/11 11:38 PM

wow.
sorry about my weak vocabulary.

Re: Racers / Starting Line Games - 02/22/11 11:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I do, and it is loads of fun! Talk about messing with your opponent! Let's start another thread!
I think what James was saying even in box racing data input is done by the racer so all responsibility for a loss or win is his, not the box.

Me too.....just ask Donnie Urban

of course he just bought back in & I believe won that day and I went out next round

Rickster
© 2024 Moparts Forums