Moparts

stealth head users please step inside

Posted By: shoebox

stealth head users please step inside - 02/10/11 12:01 AM

theres probably going to be a lot of bashing and trashing here asking about the 440 source stealth heads. im potentially in the market for some avg. guy alum heads and its 1000.00 for the stealths or 1500.00 for the eddys. id be changing springs, retainers,locks, checking valve job etc with ETHIER heads. whos got the stealths and whats to know about them? any tricks? the straight plugs help my pistons and headers... lookin better than the eddys at this point.....!!
Posted By: Chassisman

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/10/11 12:18 AM

My Dad runs them....loves them.....had to clearance for the pushrods.....changed to better retainers. Other than that....he runs 11.30's all day long with them....on pump gas.

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/10/11 01:11 AM

cool nice car BTW
Posted By: challenger73400

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/10/11 01:15 AM

I run them on my 470 stroker. I got a set of the first run of them. I welded up the chambers to run the gaskets I wanted and then ported them. I had my machinist give the a 3 angle valve job, narrow the seats and shave them .075.

I had to change the retainers and locks after running them for a while.

It runs 6.40s in the 1/8th. I v'e been happy with them.

Attached picture 6466921-rsz_truck-_copy.jpg
Posted By: tex013

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/10/11 01:18 AM

i've run mine for about 18-24 months.
running supplied locks/retainers springs after checking.i use a purple 509 cam.
machined to 78cc chamber and pocket ported.
i also had to clearance for 3/8 smith brothers pushrods
i used cometic gaskets from Don Gould
work great daily driven and regularly raced on pump gas

Tex

Attached picture 6466925-sdjudgementday141110_68.jpg
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/10/11 01:22 AM

Quote:

i also had to clearance for 3/8 smith brothers pushrods

Tex

I wouldn't get to upset about it. I had to clearence my Eddy heads for the 3/8's pushrods.

Posted By: tex013

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/10/11 01:25 AM

i swapped from iron 906's-no worries.didn't find out till heads were on motor was in car grrr.
lots of masking off

Tex
Posted By: Thor500

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/10/11 01:52 AM

Quote:

i swapped from iron 906's-no worries.didn't find out till heads were on motor was in car grrr.
lots of masking off

Tex

I did the same thing!
Posted By: PolyDart

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/10/11 02:17 AM

I'm running Stealth heads on my 512. I changed the springs, etc., to match my solid roller cam. They were milled to bring my compression up, and gasket matched. Other than that they're OOTB. I've run a best of 10.51 @ 127 with them.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/10/11 02:32 AM

I would PM Chrisf regarding the Customer service and quality of the 440Source stuff. Chris is a straight up guy and won't steer you wrong.

Sheldon
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/10/11 02:40 AM

Got a set on my 440.Had 3 shops look them over,no problems.I changed springs,locks and retainers,no problems with them at all. Did have to clearance for pushrods.

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/10/11 02:58 AM

im liking these replies! mid 10s 127 are talkin my language! whats up with the headgasket thing.. source told me they recommend felpro XXXX gasket i dont remember which but it came out to 37thou which would be ok for me.

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/10/11 03:00 AM

as far as the 3/8th pushrod clearance is there much meat that needed to be removed? i wonder if i could do that clearancing before i even put them on?
Posted By: Chassisman

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/10/11 03:02 AM

Quote:

cool nice car BTW

THANKS...Thats his 2300.00 drag car....it was 1300.00 til he got the Stealths....LOL
He's been saving parts for 5 years to build it....cost him 1300.00 and ran 11.60's...The Stealths OOTB picked up .3 for him.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/10/11 03:05 AM

Quote:

as far as the 3/8th pushrod clearance is there much meat that needed to be removed? i wonder if i could do that clearancing before i even put them on?

I mocked the heads on my engine and started setting up the valvetrain,and marked the heads where they needed to be clearanced at, put 'em on the bench,then opened them up.EASY!!

Head gaskets?? I used the Fel Pro 8519PT1
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/10/11 03:10 AM

Quote:

i wonder if i could do that clearancing before i even put them on?

That's the way things should always be done
OMO there's no excuse for not checking "everything" before assembling a motor, especially with aftermarket parts
Just because it bolts on don't mean anything
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/10/11 03:27 AM

I run them all last season (approx 300 passes). 440 +.030, 13.5:1 Ross pistons, Mopar Performance .590 solid cam, forged crank, Ohio Crankshaft H beam rods, ARP 2000 bolts, 2" Hooker super comp headers, Weiand Team G intake, 1050 dominater carb, Turbo Action "J" converter, 4.56 dana in a 3200 lb E body. 10.38/126.6 in 1/4 mile, 6.56/103 in 1/8.
Like everyone else, I had to clearance for push rods, change springs, retainers and locks. I also had to make a small amount of clearance in the combustion chamber to clear the piston dome around the spark plugs.
Over all, I'm pleased. The best part is the light weight.
Brian Dunnigan
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/10/11 11:12 AM

The advantage of the Stealth Head is:
#1. looks almost like a stock Head.
#2. Stock spark plug location will clear manifolds and headers designed for stock heads.
#3. Flow better than stock
#4. hardened Exhaust seats, No problem running Unleaded fuel.
#5. A lot lighter than stock.
#6. Affordable, not much more cost than rebuilding stock heads.

Disadvantages:
#1. Not made in the USA.
#2. Out of the box flow slightly less than the Edelbrock RPM.
#3. May need pushrod clearancing.

Unknowns:
#1. Customer service? I have not had any problems, but I have not tried to return anything.
#2. Quality issues? Some have posted on here about quality issues. I have no way to verify their issues. The heads that I have checked out fine, and I know several others who have had no problems with them either, but we have not torn down the engine to re-inspect the heads.

With the Stealth or Edelbrock heads you need to buy a head bolt kit that has the reduced wrench size bolts. The Angled spark plugs of the Edelbrock heads should provide a better plug location in the chamber for performance, but it can cause fitment issues with some headers and exhaust manifolds.
If you are going to run a solid cam, or really agressive hydraulic cam you will need to change out the springs/retainers/locks on either cylinder head. The stealth springs/retainer/locks should handle the same cams that the edelbrock heads do.

If you are looking for a performance head, and don't care what it looks like, you may be better off starting with the Victor, or Indy heads, rather then spending $1,000+ on the Stealth/RPM type heads then spending another $1,000+ to have them ported.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/10/11 11:27 AM

This old thread i posted some photos of when i got my stealth heads in Jan 2009:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...part=1&vc=1
Posted By: Kam*Kuda

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/10/11 01:11 PM

Quote:

im liking these replies! mid 10s 127 are talkin my language! whats up with the headgasket thing.. source told me they recommend felpro XXXX gasket i dont remember which but it came out to 37thou which would be ok for me.

Wasn't the combustion chamber too large or out of round and the gasket overhangs. That was why some had to weld up the chamber or get a head gasket for a larger bore???
Posted By: therocks

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/10/11 02:46 PM

3 years on mine.I changed springs,retainers.and keepers because I run .588 solid 4 speed.Used the Felpro marine gaskets.My machinist back cut the valves and lapped them a bit.He also opened them up some.I run 3/8 alloy push rods and they just clear.The overhang has been fixed.The marine gaskets fit fine with my heads as did the 19 gaskets.Mine is street/strip and gets beat on quite a bit.Rocky

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/10/11 03:01 PM

i think im sold on the stealths! gasket issue sounds fixed now and all other points are noted. they sound better than the eddys FOR MY CAR. the straight plugs are the ticket! thanks for all the posts! badass cars here too!
Posted By: 23T Hemmee

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/10/11 10:23 PM

You may already know this but 440source is having a special on them through Feb. 14, free shipping in lower 48, so if you're thinking about it, now would be the time to call them. I'm pretty impressed, a whole page of responses and no negatives to speak of.
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/10/11 10:28 PM

Everybody's busy in the Fram bash and 'China and Everywhere Else' threads...
Posted By: Harley

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/10/11 10:35 PM

Quote:

Lol!
Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/11/11 05:27 AM

I have a set from the first batch on my car. Replaced the springs and retainers to match my Cam. I used ROL headgaskets HG31130HT.
Posted By: MikeyT

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/11/11 06:15 AM

Got them on my mildly built 440. I had them checked over and flowed. I can post my OOTB flow numbers if you like. I did what a lot of the fella's on here did, checked over changed out retainers and put them on.

Mike
Posted By: 408Dust

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/11/11 01:17 PM

Quote:

i think im sold on the stealths! gasket issue sounds fixed now and all other points are noted. they sound better than the eddys FOR MY CAR. the straight plugs are the ticket! thanks for all the posts! badass cars here too!

You will love them up to about 25 1/8 mile passes then a valve seat falls out hangs the valve open breaks the valve head off motor eats it self up, you call 440 source and they tell you sorry about that.Good luck....
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/11/11 02:51 PM

Quote:

No he already made the decision to buy the heads before he made the thread, just needed to be talked into it ...

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/11/11 03:34 PM

oh boy

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/11/11 03:40 PM

You will love them up to about 25 1/8 mile passes then a valve seat falls out hangs the valve open breaks the valve head off motor eats it self up, you call 440 source and they tell you sorry about that.Good luck....

wheres the pics of this happening to you?

and johnRR i pretty much did decide to buy them before the thread.. but if there was 90% negative comments i might thought otherwise. the heads are going to be checked out and changed up. what heads do you have? and what are they on?
Posted By: slippery440

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/11/11 04:00 PM

You will find that John will be right on top of any Stealth Head post. He just hates to admitt that they are good not great but will work for anyone that is looking for a up grade from the stone age of 906s and 915s.THERE are better heads out there for all out race cars. You will spend thousands more. I have a set from the first batch with valve spring seat pressure of 245 and open pressure at 585. I have made well over 100 pass's with zero problems. Can anyone on here guaranty that you will not have any problems? Heck no! You could buy a set of heads from any of the rest of the manufactors and get a bad set. One point that needs to be addressed is coustumer care thu.Thats the true measurement of a company.
Ask John how many sets he has bought or put on motors that he built?

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/11/11 06:17 PM

Quote:

You will find that John will be right on top of any Stealth Head post. He just hates to admitt that they are good not great but will work for anyone that is looking for a up grade from the stone age of 906s and 915s.THERE are better heads out there for all out race cars. You will spend thousands more. I have a set from the first batch with valve spring seat pressure of 245 and open pressure at 585. I have made well over 100 pass's with zero problems. Can anyone on here guaranty that you will not have any problems? Heck no! You could buy a set of heads from any of the rest of the manufactors and get a bad set. One point that needs to be addressed is coustumer care thu.Thats the true measurement of a company.
Ask John how many sets he has bought or put on motors that he built?

Posted By: 1968RR

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/11/11 06:44 PM

Have you considered a set of iron Indy SR or EZ heads? They don't save the weight that an aluminum head would, but they both have more potential than the Stealth or RPM heads (I'm not really sure what type of power you're planning on). I haven't looked at the Indy site in a while, but my aluminum SRs cost about $1800, so I'd guess than iron ones would be around $1300. The down-side to the SRs is that you have to buy the TTI step headers (or go custom).
...just a suggestion. Good luck on the build.
Posted By: Quicksilver440

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/11/11 06:50 PM

Quote:

Have you considered a set of iron Indy SR or EZ heads? They don't save the weight that an aluminum head would, but they both have more potential than the Stealth or RPM heads (I'm not really sure what type of power you're planning on). I haven't looked at the Indy site in a while, but my aluminum SRs cost about $1800, so I'd guess than iron ones would be around $1300. The down-side to the SRs is that you have to buy the TTI step headers (or go custom).
...just a suggestion. Good luck on the build.

I don't believe they make those heads in iron....I am only aware of the 440-1's in Iron, but I could be wrong.
Posted By: 1968RR

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/11/11 07:22 PM

Quote:

I don't believe they makes those heads in iron....I am only aware of the 440-1's in Iron, but I could be wrong.

I'm positive that they used to make iron SRs (they may not anymore). As far as the EZs go, I've never seen an iron set, I just figured that they might have made them.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/11/11 08:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

cool nice car BTW

THANKS...Thats his 2300.00 drag car....it was 1300.00 til he got the Stealths....LOL
He's been saving parts for 5 years to build it....cost him 1300.00 and ran 11.60's...The Stealths OOTB picked up .3 for him.

Gee, even I could afford that! If he wants to sell, I'll give him a good return on his investment!!

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/11/11 09:02 PM

i thought indy didnt make any iron heads anymore?
Posted By: 408Dust

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/11/11 10:14 PM

Quote:

wheres the pics of this happening to you?

and johnRR i pretty much did decide to buy them before the thread.. but if there was 90% negative comments i might thought otherwise. the heads are going to be checked out and changed up. what heads do you have? and what are they on?

I would not and do not own a set,but did see with my own eyes what happens when the valve seat falls
out.Like I said good luck to you if you decide to buy them.
Posted By: challenger1320

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/11/11 10:19 PM

I have sold over 25 sets of Stealth heads and yes there have been a few issues, had a couple heads crack thru the outside lower bolt hole, had 1 break a shaft stand off. BUT 440 Source warrantied every single one, and the one that broke the stand was almost a year old. Try and get Indy or Edelbrock to do that.
Posted By: Old School

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/11/11 10:39 PM

Quote:

I have sold over 25 sets of Stealth heads and yes there have been a few issues, had a couple heads crack thru the outside lower bolt hole, had 1 break a shaft stand off. BUT 440 Source warrantied every single one, and the one that broke the stand was almost a year old. Try and get Indy or Edelbrock to do that.

yeah, but would indys or edelbrocks rocker stand just break off? i've never heard of one doing it......
Posted By: challenger1320

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/11/11 11:00 PM

I had a -1 break two stands so I just milled them of and put jesel stuff on. As for ebrock I had a set of small block heads that would pass a vacuum test right out of the box (hole in an itake runner) NO WARRANTY had to weld it up. As for the source head I don't know what the customer did, could he have removed all the bolts from the shaft one at a time and cracked the stand, the truth will never be known. If you don't like the source stuff don't buy it but don't post on stuff you have never used let alone seen.
Posted By: Old School

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/11/11 11:02 PM

Quote:

I had a -1 break two stands so I just milled them of and put jesel stuff on. As for ebrock I had a set of small block heads that would pass a vacuum test right out of the box (hole in an itake runner) NO WARRANTY had to weld it up. As for the source head I don't know what the customer did, could he have removed all the bolts from the shaft one at a time and cracked the stand, the truth will never be known. If you don't like the source stuff don't buy it but don't post on stuff you have never used let alone seen.

Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/11/11 11:25 PM

i would never use them on my personal stuff, but i did build an engine for a fellow racer using the cnc stealths. they both cracked badly on the 4 run, iirc. they had been purchased a year before deployment, as the engine sat on a stand waiting for the car to be finished. 440source warrantied them anyway, and sent him a new set. the car now runs mid nines all day long, and finished it's first season without incident. i was very impressed with how 440source handled a bad situation, which is why i continue to use them (not for heads, though). fwiw, everytime i've seen a shaft tower failure, it's been the fault of the assembler. something got overlooked. valvetrain failure in general is like that, ime. i know that hurts, but reality can be painful.
Posted By: racealittle

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/12/11 12:50 AM

Quote:

Edelbrock stands behind there products; I have first hand experience with them. They are very easy to deal with.

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/12/11 12:58 AM

Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/12/11 01:02 AM

Quote:

would you like a urine sample ???

you've already given that, thanks.
Posted By: slippery440

Re: stealth head users please step inside - 02/12/11 01:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think it would matter if there were 90% negative, people will still do what they want once they have their mind set on it , take the thread on the guy that wants to angle mill 906's , 99.9 % tell him he is wasting his time but he is still going to do it.

What does it matter what I have , but if you insist , I have 3 sets of 906's that have various stages of porting , one is a stock rebuilt set for my Pure Stock 383 in my 69 Dart GTS , another set is a stage 1 port job that is going on I'm not sure what yet , another set is a stage 2 for my FAST 383 stroker that may or may not ever sit between a set of framerails I own all 3 sets were done either knowing the source heads were coming or after they hit the market and I have more than a set of source heads cost including replacing any questionable parts and fixing them if needed in EACH set, why because the racing I chose to do dictates I use stock iron heads. Then I have a set of the Mopar 383/440 replacement alum head , which is basically a standard intake port location stage 6 head , they are ported and flow as well as a set of source heads and I paid more for them than source heads , bought after source heads were available , going on I have no idea yet , maybe the 383 stroker once I decide that FAST racing is never going to happen for me.

Then there is my 426 Hemi Crate motor from Mopar Performance ....

Anything else you want to know ? blood type , would you or any of the other like a urine sample ???

Hey John Could you post a Time Slip from the last decade that you actually ran your car? Post a wheels up picture along with that of your car.
© 2024 Moparts Forums