Moparts

engine diaper at indy

Posted By: larry890

engine diaper at indy - 02/09/11 07:10 PM

Will they be inforceing the use of a oil containment device for the 10.0- 9.0 class at the friday night drags in indy this summer?
Posted By: QWK_ENUF

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/09/11 07:37 PM

having talked to josh king at the kokomo meet it is my understanding this will be the case.
although due to the the problems with some of the mopar steering setup as long as some kind of attempt at oil containment is made indy will let it pass tech but don't take this as gospel

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/09/11 07:46 PM

i'll have to ask hamberger dave if he has any extra' s

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/09/11 07:52 PM

6) Oil Containment: All vehicles will be required to utilize an NHRA-accepted lower engine oil-retention device. The lower engine containment device must cover the sides of the block and pan up to one inch of the head mating surface and extend within 1 1/2 inches of the front and rear of the cylinder case area. A belly pan may be used in the lieu of a device attached to the engine. The belly pan must extend from frame rail to frame rail and extend forward of the harmonic balancer and to the rear of the engine block and must incorporate a minimum 2-inch-high lip on all sides. A nonflammable, oil-absorbent liner mandatory inside of retention device. Any device that fails to perform as required must be replaced or repaired to the satisfaction of the technical staff prior to any further runs.

here you go, for me this is doable for the belly pan

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/09/11 08:01 PM

It just seems like some tracks inforce it and some dont for the slower cars.
Posted By: BobsProFab

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/09/11 09:32 PM

yes you need one, if you show up without it you wont be racing.
Posted By: joshking440

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/09/11 09:47 PM

Diapers and or belly pans will be required

Not SFI approved, but something will be needed. I have a diaper on my car, big block...abody....stock suspension and steering....it can be done. Check with Russel or DRE, both well under 200 bucks

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/09/11 09:51 PM

well i guess i better get to work. thanks

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/09/11 10:02 PM

Cant wait to see you guys at the Track!!!!

Thanks for supporting this!

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/09/11 10:27 PM

we have been looking foward to it all winter. great track, close to home my 2 favorite things.
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/09/11 10:53 PM

at what et do you have to have it
and does the weekend bracket racer have to have it

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/10/11 12:07 AM

Quote:

If you come on Friday night everyone has to have one....

As far a bracket guy on Saturday and Sunday, Im not sure
Posted By: Mopar Grandpa

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/10/11 01:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

If you come on Friday night everyone has to have one....

As far a bracket guy on Saturday and Sunday, Im not sure

Kurt's comment to me was this year the bracket racers will be ENCOURAGED to have one but it will not be manditory. In 2012 it will be manditory. We haven't had that many oil downs but when it happens...just as well go take a nap.
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/10/11 02:54 AM

DRE SPORTSMAN DIAPERS $169.....no reason in hell not to run one

Rickster
Posted By: ProSport

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/10/11 03:44 AM

Quote:

Rickster

Except for having to have a custom set of headers built.

I lost a freeze plug and almost piled my junk into the wall, I'd like to get a diaper for my next car.
But I do kind of wonder if the diaper would start leaking further down the track when things could have been real bad.

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/10/11 04:08 PM

will the one for 169 burn if it touches the header tube?
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/11/11 01:01 AM

Quote:

will the one for 169 burn if it touches the header tube?

Probably....but Dennis does a great job custom fitting and using fire-retardant materials @ a very fair cost.....then there's the belly pan route No matter.....it's a good rule and could save your car and better yet your life or someone else's

Rickster
Posted By: 2QUICK4U

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/11/11 03:00 AM

just buy the diaper. 200 dollars is better than replacing the hole car or even the car you may hit and total there car too.!ive seen as slow as 10 sec cars, crash because of the not having a diaper i dont know why this an issue.

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/13/11 03:26 AM

Can anyone post a picture

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/14/11 03:32 PM

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/14/11 03:43 PM

what do you think of this

Attached picture 6475185-1.jpg

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/14/11 03:43 PM

ok not familar with 10,0 / 9.0 bracket at indy
i have a low 10 sec car, run just brackets with.
do we need to have a blanket/ belly pan to run
indy???
last i knew this was for the super comp/ super gas guys
not the weekend warrier??

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/14/11 07:45 PM

Attached picture 6475483-2.jpg

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/14/11 07:58 PM

perfect
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/14/11 08:11 PM

Quote:

Not trying to be a pain on this, but are you starting this engine off the blower like the big boys?
Posted By: CRT

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/14/11 10:20 PM

Tommy, is that a home made diaper ? or did you buy that ?

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/15/11 12:05 AM

Quote:

Tommy, is that a home made diaper ? or did you buy that ?

home made and is in progress as we speak

Attached picture 6475870-dia4.jpg
Posted By: MoparPitBull

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/15/11 12:51 AM

I want 1!!
Posted By: rowin4

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/15/11 02:47 AM

So is there a spec on the type of material that has to be used? Does it have to be absorbent or just contain any liquid? fire proof ? Does the drag link through the pan cause a safety concern as there would be a sizable hole in the diaper?
Posted By: biginchmotor

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/15/11 02:55 AM

Interested to know the cost of one where the center link goes through the oil pan. I have a Charlies pan on my Barracuda. Anyone else have a similar set up as me??

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/15/11 03:12 AM

all i have seen seem to be for flat bottom drag style diapers with no provision for motor mounts,center sump pans, k-member mopar style rear steer cars. god forgive if you have a tube for the center link.

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/15/11 04:15 AM

there is no spec on the material that it is made of. You do have to line the bottom with an oil absorbant material. The stuff russler sent me was just the typical white fabric you see at every factory absorbing oil under a machine.

Mine had a hole in it for a center link...it was 158.00 from russler

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/15/11 04:22 AM

i thought they had to be sfi/ ?
in order to use or run a diaper??
what are the leagalities as to what the n h r a allow /not allow??
of a home made vs whom ever
Posted By: BobsProFab

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/15/11 04:43 AM

Quote:

there is no spec on the material that it is made of. You do have to line the bottom with an oil absorbant material. The stuff russler sent me was just the typical white fabric you see at every factory absorbing oil under a machine.

for 158 bucks and get a custom one to your specs from a drawing with dims. is cheap !

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/15/11 12:56 PM

CAN SOMEONE POST A PIC or at least some contact info for russler

Attached picture 6476933-0.jpg

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/15/11 01:00 PM

Quote:

how did they seal the diaper around the centerlink

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/15/11 02:00 PM

www.russlerii.com is his website

There are classes that require sfi certs on diapers, just non of us apply

We are not enforcing a rule put in place by nhra, we are enforcing a rule put in place by the track.

They way russels worked around the steering link is it had velcro flaps that partially sealed around the whole. Not perfect but it would work to a certain degree

I truly appreciate everyone taking the time to mess with this and figure it out so they can come race with us!
Posted By: Blown71X

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/16/11 03:47 AM

Quote:

We are not enforcing a rule put in place by nhra, we are enforcing a rule put in place by the track.

So much for me and the 10.0 stuff .....My new car is officially for sale, I`ve had enough
I can`t afford this crap anymore

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/16/11 04:33 AM

Sad to hear you would sell your car over a diaper. Even though one person has already shown that you can make one at home.
Posted By: SCATPACK 1

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/16/11 04:36 AM

how did they seal the diaper around the centerlink

Think of a shirt sleeve with a strap on the end. The sleeve would be on both sides of the diaper where the drag link goes thru the pan/diaper. Leave enough length in the sleeve on each side for lock to lock turn. tie strap the ends to the drag link. Simple enough to seal up the drag link.
Posted By: Stroker Scamp

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/16/11 05:05 AM

Quote:

www.russlerii.com is his website

There are classes that require sfi certs on diapers, just non of us apply

They way russels worked around the steering link is it had velcro flaps that partially sealed around the whole. Not perfect but it would work to a certain degree

I truly appreciate everyone taking the time to mess with this and figure it out so they can come race with us!

not trying to bash anyones product but wont those plastic clips get hot and melt?? any experience with that?

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/16/11 08:16 PM

they were ok on mine.....I wish I would have taken a pic or two with it on, but I didnt

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/16/11 08:21 PM

WHAT DO YOU HAVE ON YOURS RIGHT NOW

the pictutes only see ones with out chassis headers and external oiling ?
Posted By: moparniac

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/16/11 08:25 PM

Quote:

Rickster

could you link me please. thx
Posted By: moparniac

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/16/11 08:28 PM

Quote:

what material is that! what about the holes needed for external oiling! will that mess with tech!

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/18/11 01:33 AM

Right now I have a russlerii. I run external oiling, dual line milodon pump, pan has rear and passenger side kick outs. My headers are turbo headers so they don't really affect it any.
Posted By: cgall

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/18/11 05:23 PM

You might as well drop the Open Comp class if they have to have diapers. I was considering coming over there just to run some 1/4 mile on a Friday night, but I am not going to buy a diaper for a 10.50 car just for Indy.
Posted By: mopar376d

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/18/11 06:31 PM

Quote:

You might as well drop the Open Comp class if they have to have diapers. I was considering coming over there just to run some 1/4 mile on a Friday night, but I am not going to buy a diaper for a 10.50 car just for Indy.

I am with you on this. Not wanting to argue the safety debate but if they are not required for our every weekend races no one is going to put one on. Car count will be down because of this.
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/18/11 06:49 PM

Those diapers look like they would hold a lot of heat. Plus, it makes routine maintenence a PITA.

I've been racing since 1969, had ONE rod failure in 1983, out of literally thousands of passes down a race track. I've never seen a lot of 9.50 up full door cars oil the drag strips. It sounds like REQUIRING them to have diapers is just a money making deal for someone.

My guess is that someone is going to post some contingency for NHRA....

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/18/11 07:31 PM

Wow...well no problem guys, if you dont want to run a diaper to participate then stay home.

No one is making any money, we are trying to get a whole lot of racing done in a friday night.

You will get by this year without running one on Saturday, but after this year more than likely everyone will be required to run one at every NHRA track.

I get it guys, i havent seen that many failures either, but its the rule.

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/18/11 07:31 PM

Quote:

We dont have open comp

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/18/11 07:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I am with you on this. Not wanting to argue the safety debate but if they are not required for our every weekend races no one is going to put one on. Car count will be down because of this.

Mopar car count will be down.....thats about it. Mopar guys are the only ones I am really getting any backlash from on this.
Posted By: OUTLAWSSAA

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/19/11 02:53 AM

Mopar car count will be down.....thats about it. Mopar guys are the only ones I am really getting any backlash from on this.

That's because all the other cars don't have a draglink going through there oil pan.Four or five years ago when NHRA thought about mandating diapers for Superstock & Stock the Hemi guys on the west coast petitioned NHRA about letting them put a rack on the cars so they could fit a diaper on the motor without the draglink issue.They were denied and soon after the diaper mandate was dropped.I had an NHRA chassis cert guy look under my car to see for himself,he came out from under the car shaking his head.Between the headers being next to the motor and the drag link issue some cars its virtually impossible.

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/19/11 04:54 AM

We will still be there. Indy is a great track and it seems like this diaper rule isnt going anyway, lots of other tracks are on the bandwagon also.

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/19/11 05:19 AM

My car has a drag link, and my diaper doesn't really effect any maintenance.

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/19/11 05:24 AM

It sounds like they are just looking for something to soak up 50% of a spill should the worst happen. and if it gets us back out there racing 50% sooner im for it.
Posted By: Troublemaker427

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/19/11 05:25 AM

I have no idea how one will fit my car either. The people who usually say "you're stupid for not having one", "they are cheap insurance", blah,blah,blah are those with chassis cars, dragsters or rack and pinion steering. If NHRA is going to mandate me to have one they should provide me with a vendor/part number for the diaper that will fit my car. They want me to have it, tell me where to get it. They can't do that for my car or many others because it just isn't possible. I had a track owner who is a racer tell me he doesn't want them to be mandatory but NHRA is ramming it down their throats. He said the "mandatory in 2012" is another trial balloon by NHRA to see what kind of reaction they are going to get. His suggestion was for everyone to contact their NHRA Divisional office and complain and it may help. Don't get me wrong, I want to be safe when I race but some things just can't be done.

Quote:

That's because all the other cars don't have a draglink going through there oil pan.Four or five years ago when NHRA thought about mandating diapers for Superstock & Stock the Hemi guys on the west coast petitioned NHRA about letting them put a rack on the cars so they could fit a diaper on the motor without the draglink issue.They were denied and soon after the diaper mandate was dropped.I had an NHRA chassis cert guy look under my car to see for himself,he came out from under the car shaking his head.Between the headers being next to the motor and the drag link issue some cars its virtually impossible.

Posted By: cgall

Re: engine diaper at indy - 02/19/11 03:05 PM

Here is the class I am talking about, I called it Open Comp because that is the common name of this format.

Rage Indy Index

I. Class Description: Indy Index is a multi-index race of vehicles from early to late model automobiles only.

II. Designation: II/A,B,C or D followed by permanent number.
a. II/A = 10.50.
b. II/B = 11.00.
c. II/C = 11.50.
d. II/D = 12.00.

III. Format: Indy Rage Index is a 1/4 mile dial-in Class Eliminator run on a .400 pro tree with a pro ladder. Courtesy Staging and Autostart are in effect. Timeout is 10 seconds.

IV. Race Procedures:
a. Staging lanes: No cooling is allowed in the staging lanes.
b. Burn Out: Over the line burnouts are not allowed in Rage Indy Index.
c. Qualifying:
i. All II/A cars will run time trials as a class. Top four closest to their index will advance to class Semi-Finals.
ii. All II/B cars will run time trials as a class. Top four closest to their index will advance to class Semi-Finals.
iii. All II/C cars will run time trials as a class. Top four closest to their index will advance to class Semi-Finals.
iv. All II/D cars will run time trials as a class. Top four closest to their index will advance to class Semi-Finals.
d. Class Semi-Finals: The four cars in each index will compete for two rounds to determine a class winner.
e. Class Eliminator: The winners of the four classes will draw numbers to determine pairings in the eliminator.
i. The car that qualified closest to the applicable index will draw an opponent, and will have lane choice.
ii. The remaining two cars will be paired against each other, with the car that qualified closest to the applicable index having lane choice.
f. Class Finals: The winners of the Class Eliminator round will face off, with lane choice going to the competitor closest to the Index during the Class Eliminator round.

If diapers are required, I could see you getting maybe 5 cars in class A, and none in classes B-D.
© 2024 Moparts Forums