Moparts

Installing 9 position keyway sprocket on crankshaft ???

Posted By: 70satelliteguy

Installing 9 position keyway sprocket on crankshaft ??? - 02/06/11 06:24 PM

I am installing a new Rollmaster timing chain and sprocket(s) on my 440.
It was not very easy to remove the old Rollmaster bottom sprocket off the crank. I had to tap it while turning the crank for quite a while before it finally worked loose and came off. Are these a press on type or should it go on and off fairly easy? How do you guys get these things on and off???
Thanks Mike
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Installing 9 position keyway sprocket on crankshaft ??? - 02/06/11 06:31 PM

Sometimes they have a little burr on them.
Posted By: 70satelliteguy

Re: Installing 9 position keyway sprocket on crankshaft ??? - 02/06/11 09:58 PM

Thanks for the reply Andy!!!
Do you mean a burr on the crank or the sprocket? How hard is it normally to get these things on and the crankshaft? I thought it would be pretty easy !
Mike
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: Installing 9 position keyway sprocket on crankshaft ??? - 02/06/11 10:02 PM

You SHOULD need a puller to get the gear off if it and the crank are sized properly. You do not want a loose timing gear as it causes unnecessary harmonics and un-even loading on the crank snout. The cause of many snout failures, often blamed on something else.

You should have to tap it on slightly to install it, and need a puller to remove it.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Installing 9 position keyway sprocket on crankshaft ??? - 02/06/11 10:04 PM

Could be a bur on the gear or even on the key way. I've also seen a little corosion/rust/grim build up on the crank itself cuase a tight fit.

It should slide on and off by hand but not be so loose that it has play.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Installing 9 position keyway sprocket on crankshaft ??? - 02/06/11 10:04 PM

Quote:

Do you mean a burr on the crank or the sprocket? How hard is it normally to get these things on and the crankshaft? I thought it would be pretty easy !
Mike

They normally slide on and off... no press at all...
sometimes the snout of the crank can be a slight bit
oversize and the gear could be undersized so the stack
up COULD be at the max... could check the snout and
gear with a mic or even a set of calipers to see
where everything is at
Posted By: HPMike

Re: Installing 9 position keyway sprocket on crankshaft ??? - 02/06/11 10:05 PM

Quote:

Mike

Depending on the crank mfg, they can vary from a light slip fit to a slight press fit. I use a gear puller, which is the proper way to remove it, but you can also have some success "warming" the gear with a propane torch. Don't go crazy, just a little heat will get it done.

What Andy is referring to, I believe, is that there are burrs that form on the keyway slots of the gear that will cause some issues with fitment. You can dress those down with a small file.

FWIW, I'd rather have a gear that is a slightly tighter fit than loose.

MB
Posted By: POS Dakota

Re: Installing 9 position keyway sprocket on crankshaft ??? - 02/06/11 11:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mike

Depending on the crank mfg, they can vary from a light slip fit to a slight press fit. I use a gear puller, which is the proper way to remove it, but you can also have some success "warming" the gear with a propane torch. Don't go crazy, just a little heat will get it done.

What Andy is referring to, I believe, is that there are burrs that form on the keyway slots of the gear that will cause some issues with fitment. You can dress those down with a small file.

FWIW, I'd rather have a gear that is a slightly tighter fit than loose.

MB

I heat the gear to about 250 degrees in the oven and it slides right on.

I use a puller to remove it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums