Moparts

Which Ignition Box to Get?

Posted By: markz528

Which Ignition Box to Get? - 01/29/11 11:31 PM

I want to get a multispark ignition for my daughter's street car that she races. I want a built in rev limiter, and do not want MSD.

Looking at the Summit ($150), Mallory 6AL2 ($270) or????

What are your experiences or recommendations?
Posted By: mshred

Re: Which Ignition Box to Get? - 01/29/11 11:33 PM

Quote:

I want to get a multispark ignition for my daughter's street car that she races. I want a built in rev limiter, and do not want MSD.

Looking at the Summit ($150), Mallory 6AL2 ($270) or????

What are your experiences or recommendations?

I have a Mallory Hyfire 685 box in my car, and I have to say I love it! Works great! All my friends were MSD but since seeing my box have all switched over to the same one lol

tons of features for the price

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MAA-685/
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Which Ignition Box to Get? - 01/29/11 11:52 PM

Summit's had tons of returns on the Summit brand boxes.
Posted By: rebel

Re: Which Ignition Box to Get? - 01/29/11 11:52 PM

wish i could give you some good advice. every ign system i buy the company stops making them after i buy it. i have an awesome Crane HI6 in my 'cuda. it works very very well but Crane went out of bussiness, i have a Holley Pro Strip Anihilator in my race car. again very very happy with it & it works extremely well, except Holley don't make them anymore. you want to get rid of something on the market let me know, i'll buy one & they'll stop making it.

Re: Which Ignition Box to Get? - 01/29/11 11:57 PM

Quote:

wish i could give you some good advice. every ign system i buy the company stops making them after i buy it. i have an awesome Crane HI6 in my 'cuda. it works very very well but Crane went out of bussiness, i have a Holley Pro Strip Anihilator in my race car. again very very happy with it & it works extremely well, except Holley don't make them anymore. you want to get rid of something on the market let me know, i'll buy one & they'll stop making it.

You not gonna buy a Mallory - - are you? LOL!

I like the 6AL2 better than the 685, so I am leaning towards that. Any bad experiences with the Mallory 6AL2?
Posted By: six-barrel

Re: Which Ignition Box to Get? - 01/29/11 11:59 PM

Pertronix makes the Ignitor III, dual strike with rev limiter.

Comes as either an upgrade module or they sell a complete distributor.

Haven't used it yet, so no comments on how well it works.

Re: Which Ignition Box to Get? - 01/30/11 01:19 AM

Mallory unit not to be had. Quoted April delivery. Broke my rule and bought the MSD 6AL2.
Posted By: BobR

Re: Which Ignition Box to Get? - 01/30/11 02:25 AM

Quote:

Mallory unit not to be had. Quoted April delivery. Broke my rule and bought the MSD 6AL2.

None of them are perfect and none will last forever. MSD sells 20 boxes to racers for everyone else's one. MSD is all I will ever use.
Posted By: Voluster

Re: Which Ignition Box to Get? - 01/30/11 02:28 AM

I have a digial 6 for sale in the race parts
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Which Ignition Box to Get? - 01/30/11 04:07 AM

Quote:

So true, all of the copy-cats products don`t seem to survive like MSD. I know some have had troubles but there`s a lemon in every product out there. Since I mounted my 6-series box under my dash, I`ve had zero problems.

Re: Which Ignition Box to Get? - 01/30/11 06:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

So true, all of the copy-cats products don`t seem to survive like MSD. I know some have had troubles but there`s a lemon in every product out there. Since I mounted my 6-series box under my dash, I`ve had zero problems.

thats one of the biggest problems for ignition box failures in my opinion, guys mount em in the engine bay. I have mine under the dash, and even isolated by itself there it gets HOT...I can just imagine under the hood
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Which Ignition Box to Get? - 01/30/11 02:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

thats one of the biggest problems for ignition box failures in my opinion, guys mount em in the engine bay. I have mine under the dash, and even isolated by itself there it gets HOT...I can just imagine under the hood

But if under hood it gets air flow, inside it
most likely doesnt get any air flow

Re: Which Ignition Box to Get? - 01/30/11 03:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

airflow or not, its still way too hot under the hood in my opinion, and i doubt inside the car will ever get that hot- ive gone on close to 3 hours straight of driving in very hot weather with my box mounted under the dash and no problems yet...not to mention I just cant stand the look of an ignition box bolted to the inner fender, especially on a chrysler where they make it look like a shelf
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Which Ignition Box to Get? - 01/30/11 06:15 PM

I put a Mallory Hyfire 6AL on my race car several years ago and basically forgot about it! Mallory coil and magnetic p/u distributor too. Never a problem. It's mounted inside under the dash on the firewall above & to the right of the trans tunnel. Insulated rubber pass-through grommets for the coil wire and distributor wires.
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Which Ignition Box to Get? - 01/30/11 08:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OEM mounts them under the hood on a lot of vehicles. Nontheless heat is not a good thing on electronics.
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Which Ignition Box to Get? - 01/30/11 09:36 PM

MALLORY TRASH..GET MSD digital 6 and be done with it!!

Re: Which Ignition Box to Get? - 01/31/11 12:35 AM

Quote:

MALLORY TRASH..GET MSD digital 6 and be done with it!!

LOL
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Which Ignition Box to Get? - 01/31/11 04:53 AM

I have been running around on the street with a 7AL2 box mounted on the inner fender for about ten years with no problems. It has seen rain, extreme temps high and low, and any other weather you can think of.

Bottom line is that (lemons not considered) electronics can and will break at any time for a variety of reasons. The good thing (IMO) about MSD is they stand behind their product and it can be repaired.

Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Which Ignition Box to Get? - 01/31/11 06:21 AM

I have only used the MSD6AL, MSD Digital6, and Crane HI-6 boxes. Have not had any fail yet. The MSD6AL is the oldest, about 20-years old, and once I thought it went out. car would not fire up after cooling the radiator by spraying it with water. I actually got water into the wiring for the magnetic pickup, and that was causing the problem. Dried out the wiring, and it has worked fine ever since then.

My friend had an issue with the MSD Digital 6 when the magnetic pickup wires were swapped around (wrong polarity), but after switching them, it ran like it is supposed to.
Posted By: cknight

Re: Which Ignition Box to Get? - 01/31/11 04:05 PM

Quote:

Just to correct, Crane Cams is very much in business for the last 16 months. New, made in the U.S.A., HI-6 ignitions and components are on the shelf, and shipping daily. Regards, Chase
Posted By: Runner

Re: Which Ignition Box to Get? - 02/01/11 12:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Just to correct, Crane Cams is very much in business for the last 16 months. New, made in the U.S.A., HI-6 ignitions and components are on the shelf, and shipping daily. Regards, Chase

thats very good news, lots of people like the crane boxes.

i guess ive been lucky with my junk mallory boxes, the only issue ive ever had was my own fault when i hooked up my battery backwards and killed the box. mallory was more than fair with me even though the box was un fixable they hooked me up with a different box for 100 bucks, i asked if i could have 2 at that price and they sold me 2 of them (685 boxes).
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: Which Ignition Box to Get? - 02/01/11 12:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Chase, do you guys have any plans of coming back out with any of the dec9500 series controllers?
Posted By: 68dodge

Re: Which Ignition Box to Get? - 02/01/11 02:04 AM

I will never use a Mallory 6AL again. Put 2 new ones on, they would not work. No spark. Switch to MSD. Car fired right up. I still run the Chrysler ignition on my other cars.

Attached picture 6449409-pittsraceway3.JPG

Re: Which Ignition Box to Get? - 02/01/11 02:14 AM

Quote:

I actually looked for the Crane units as I thought they were in production, but I could not find them on Summit's or Jeg's websites. Do they carry them and just not advertise them well?
Posted By: 64Post

Re: Which Ignition Box to Get? - 02/01/11 02:17 AM

Nobody tried the IC&E system?

Seems like a constant spark over 22º of crank rotation in the entire operating RPM would be a good thing.
Posted By: cknight

Re: Which Ignition Box to Get? - 02/01/11 02:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Chase, do you guys have any plans of coming back out with any of the dec9500 series controllers?

There will be a number of new products being announced this year. They will be suited for today's requirements. Ignitions and ignition components can be obtained through Summit and Jegs. Thanks, Chase
© 2024 Moparts Forums