Moparts

Solid lifter/bushed lifter bore question

Posted By: HUSTLESTUFF

Solid lifter/bushed lifter bore question - 01/25/11 09:37 PM

I'm building a low deck 512 with girdle and bushing/re-aligning the lifter bores. I plan on using a solid lift cam (old STX 22) with mushroom lifters. Do I need oiling holes in the bushings. Thanks in advance, Mike.
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Solid lifter/bushed lifter bore question - 01/25/11 10:19 PM

IF YOU OIL THRU THE PUSHRODS
Posted By: BradH

Re: Solid lifter/bushed lifter bore question - 01/26/11 07:10 AM

My is to go ahead and drill them. My undrilled bushings showed some odd wear patterns that might have been indication of insufficient lubrication. I've since drilled them to eliminate that as a possibility.
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Solid lifter/bushed lifter bore question - 01/26/11 07:18 AM

make sure holes are located exactly as for lifters used. . wrong and you could experience loss of oil presure
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Solid lifter/bushed lifter bore question - 01/26/11 06:55 PM

Quote:

My is to go ahead and drill them. My undrilled bushings showed some odd wear patterns that might have been indication of insufficient lubrication. I've since drilled them to eliminate that as a possibility.

I like to have a small hole drilled in them for some lube, a little running down the lifter onto the cam on a flat tappet isn't a bad thing .
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Solid lifter/bushed lifter bore question - 01/26/11 07:00 PM

My 440 block has .030 or .060(can.t remember which size ) oil holes in them, it is a solid roller lifter motor not oiling through the pushrods to the rockers.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Solid lifter/bushed lifter bore question - 01/26/11 11:17 PM

I'd put a small oil hole either at 5 oclock or 7 oclock. You don't need it that way for the solid lifters, but you'll want it that way if you go to a roller lifter down the road.
Posted By: HUSTLESTUFF

Re: Solid lifter/bushed lifter bore question - 01/27/11 03:41 AM

Thanks, guys/ An old timer said I didn't need them with that cam, but didn't say anything about pushrod oiling. Mike
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Solid lifter/bushed lifter bore question - 01/27/11 07:16 AM

Well he is correct, you don't need them for that cam. Then again, a year from now you might want to change cams. Pays to think ahead sometimes.
Posted By: 64Post

Re: Solid lifter/bushed lifter bore question - 01/27/11 08:00 AM

If you think you might want to run an EDM lifter (I wouldn't run a solid cam again without them) in the future it would be nice to have the oil hole. The EDMs also oil through the pushrod.
© 2024 Moparts Forums