Moparts

excessive oling to top end

Posted By: hvyweight

excessive oling to top end - 01/23/11 09:40 PM

I think that I have excessive oiling to the rockers....

World product alum block, B1MC heads (front and back oil rtns) with jesel rockers. Tall isky ez roll lifters for pushrod oiling .090 orfice. Manton hollow pushrods with a .075 orfice in them. Priming the engine I have about 75-80 pounds. I roll the motor over with a breaker bar to see if the oil is reaching the rocker. All are getting oil but the outer lifters ie 1 exhaust and 7 exhaust are getting less oil. I am using Brad Penn break in getting ready for the dyno. I spun the drill rotating the motor for about three minutes then let it sit. I removed the valve cover and seen where the oil was sitting in the valve cover about and inch up from the mounting surface of the valve cover. I know that B1 have terrible drain back. So what do you guys think too much oil to the top?

Mike
Posted By: Performance Only

Re: excessive oling to top end - 01/23/11 09:54 PM

what size oil returns and how do you have them routed back to the pan? after 3 minues of running a drill, you might just have a return problem and not an over oiling problem.
i normally use a much smaller orifice in the pushrods that what your using. .035 should be plenty.
a picture of your setup might help.

Re: excessive oling to top end - 01/23/11 10:05 PM

I have a #8 rtn line. The orfice in the pushrods is what Manton suggested. I'll get some pics here right away!
Posted By: moderncylinder

Re: excessive oling to top end - 01/23/11 10:16 PM

also,, how thick was the oil? was it in your cold garage when priming? how cold was the oil?

id use -10 lines,,

.025 or so in pushrod/lifter

Re: excessive oling to top end - 01/23/11 10:26 PM

30 wt Brad Penn. It was about 70 maybe 75 in the shop. Oil was at room temp.

Any ideas about the outer lifters not receiving as much oil. I checked every lifter, pushrod and rocker with compressed air everything is clean and no obstructions?

Re: excessive oling to top end - 01/23/11 11:00 PM

pic of rockers

Attached picture 6434510-rockers.jpg

Re: excessive oling to top end - 01/23/11 11:03 PM

pic 2

Attached picture 6434515-rockers2.jpg
Posted By: go green

Re: excessive oling to top end - 01/23/11 11:58 PM

I have one .065" jet that does the entire top end .

You got a boatload of oil going up there .
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: excessive oling to top end - 01/24/11 02:06 AM

I'm wondering about this too. I'm in the process of changing from Koffel's rockers to T&D individual shaft rockers with pushrod oil. My World aluminum block came from the factory with one .040 hole on each side to supply all the rocker oil. With the pushrod oiling you've got 8 holes sending oil up there!

Once the oil gets up to 180 or so it'll drain back a lot faster but still?

A couple of the other guys on here that know their S**t tell me it won't be a problem.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: excessive oling to top end - 01/24/11 02:06 AM

Is the motor leveled to the floor now? Will the motor be leveled in the car or tilted down some in the rear in the car? If tilted in the car try tilting the front up some when priming and let us know your results

Re: excessive oling to top end - 01/24/11 02:41 AM

How are you restricting to .065 for the entire top end?.

Re: excessive oling to top end - 01/24/11 02:46 AM

I tried it with the nose up on the engine stand and level as well. I guess I'm not super concerned with the amount of oil up top. But I'm concerned with the return. I was think about a drain back in the valve cover just above the valve cover rail. I know it won't lessen the problem of oil coming to the top of the engine but should help the return issue! What do ya think?

Attached picture 6434986-!cid_A2.jpg
Posted By: moparniac

Re: excessive oling to top end - 01/24/11 02:51 AM

Sg! If your engine is apart I noticed on my world aluminum block on the number 4 to oil up top had the right cam bearings to oil but there was NO holes regardless for oil to go up top ! I noticed this recently after taking the cam bearings out! I never really took notice or cared before cause I plugged up on the decks regardless .

Re: excessive oling to top end - 01/24/11 04:12 AM

Quote:

I have a Jet in the bulkhead fitting in the block.

Re: excessive oling to top end - 01/24/11 05:08 AM

cool pic!

I should have added that there is .020 orfice in the bushings in the lifter bores
Posted By: sp6162

Re: excessive oling to top end - 01/24/11 05:10 AM

Nice system Dean!
Hey Mike, Doesn't your block has .020" feed holes in your lifter bushings?
If so, that's all your lifters and pushrods will see.
I'm not sure if that is still too much.

Re: excessive oling to top end - 01/24/11 05:15 AM

Mike

Yeah your right about the 020 hole in the bushing. I am thinking that its the smallest hole in the system so regardless of the 075 in the pushrod it shouldn't matter right?
Posted By: rowin4

Re: excessive oling to top end - 01/24/11 05:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I have a Jet in the bulkhead fitting in the block.

Real nice system you have there, can you explain what it is for?

Re: excessive oling to top end - 01/24/11 06:40 AM

Necessity is the mother of all invention .

No one in town could or would guarantee drilling the block out for lifter valley oil galleries and shipping it back to KB would be to expensive.

So I did it myself by plumbing it individually.

Re: excessive oling to top end - 03/06/11 07:23 PM

We'll dyno the motor and it didn't go well. Lots of little things. Decided to take the bottom end apart and discovered #5 rod bearing went for s#$%. Started looking at things and I am convinced that I have to much oil to the top. I noticed that the oiling hole in the lifter was in the same path of travel as the bushing in the lifter bore. I have .002 clearance between the lifter and the lifter bore. I was thinking that the clearance would act like a restrictor. I am now thinking that maybe I should put a restrictor in my Manton pushrods or take the lifter bushings out and turn them 90 degrees. What do you guys think?
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: excessive oling to top end - 03/06/11 07:36 PM

Just put restrictors in the pushrods.I don't think you can just rotate the lifter bushings.

Re: excessive oling to top end - 03/06/11 07:51 PM

What size of restrictors in the pushrods do you use
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: excessive oling to top end - 03/06/11 09:52 PM

My junk has shaft oiling and I sent oil up the exhaust p/rods only with no restriction.The engine was just freshened by ARC and a .030 was installed in the p/r's.From what I gather a .025 to .030 should work for you,but I would rather see Jeff or Dean make that statement.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: excessive oling to top end - 03/06/11 11:05 PM

Quote:

We'll dyno the motor and it didn't go well. Lots of little things. Decided to take the bottom end apart and discovered #5 rod bearing went for s#$%. Started looking at things and I am convinced that I have to much oil to the top. I noticed that the oiling hole in the lifter was in the same path of travel as the bushing in the lifter bore. I have .002 clearance between the lifter and the lifter bore. I was thinking that the clearance would act like a restrictor. I am now thinking that maybe I should put a restrictor in my Manton pushrods or take the lifter bushings out and turn them 90 degrees. What do you guys think?

I dont see how you could turn the bushing 90* and
still be in the oil galley... with a .020 I cant
believe you have too much oil unless the oil hole
in the lifter is lined up while its on seat(that
would have oil traveling through the lifter more
time... just thinking out loud... I have a .040
restriction in my PRs for my TD rockers on a SB
Posted By: AndyF

Re: excessive oling to top end - 03/06/11 11:36 PM

That sounds like a typical Mopar big-block oiling problem. The Isky lifters won't work unless the bushings are clocked correctly. You can either redo the bushings, or change the lifters to the type that IMM has. Putting restrictors in the pushrods can also work, but remember that small holes inside the engine can be easily plugged with debris.

Re: excessive oling to top end - 03/07/11 04:44 AM

How would you clock them? I was thinking maybe to raise the hole in the bushing so it only oils at max lift. What do ya think?

Re: excessive oling to top end - 03/07/11 04:46 AM

andy what do you mean by putting restrictors in the pushrods...... the pushrods of his are already made right!

Re: excessive oling to top end - 03/09/11 10:19 PM

Quote:

That sounds like a typical Mopar big-block oiling problem. The Isky lifters won't work unless the bushings are clocked correctly. You can either redo the bushings, or change the lifters to the type that IMM has. Putting restrictors in the pushrods can also work, but remember that small holes inside the engine can be easily plugged with debris.

Could you explain clocking the bushings?

Re: excessive oling to top end - 03/09/11 10:44 PM

dug this out of another thread... posted by boatracer.... .020

© 2024 Moparts Forums