Moparts

Racers: NHRA or IHRA ?

Posted By: clonestocker

Racers: NHRA or IHRA ? - 01/23/11 04:06 AM

Guys, There was a meeting tonight (and VOTE by the Racers)about the future of our track. SIR in Tucson. A guest speaker was a racer from Utah that took home the IHRA (Summit Super Series)bacon last year in NoBox I think. What are your pros and cons. What would you vote for? thx matt
Posted By: Eric

Re: Racers: NHRA or IHRA ? - 01/23/11 04:18 AM

IHRA....but they aren't what they use to be...
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: Racers: NHRA or IHRA ? - 01/23/11 04:28 AM

The IHRA has done wonders for our track. They definatly put more money into our program and have been great about payouts and doing what they said they would. I would have to give them the vote. But what I miss being a member of NHRA too. The bracket finals mostly, but I don't miss the NHRA "better n you" attitude, or their entitlment theory. I hate the way they penalize the sportsman racer every time the economy gets worse, or they just do because they can get away with it. How long does it take to get into an NHRA national event? It takes 2 hours to get into an IHRA national event including tech. And it only lasts 2 days, not all fkn week. Until NHRA gets rid of the dead weight at the top, that giant sucking sound you hear will be coming from Glendora! I am one vote for IHRA!!!! We need more tracks out west and maybe NHRA will have to pay attention.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Racers: NHRA or IHRA ? - 01/23/11 04:36 AM

All the tracks in this area that switched to IHRA over the years are now back to NHRA or outlaw.

Just sayin'.
Posted By: MikeyT

Re: Racers: NHRA or IHRA ? - 01/23/11 04:48 AM

Quote:

All the tracks in this area that switched to IHRA over the years are now back to NHRA or outlaw.

Just sayin'.

I hear Byron is going to a NHRA track. I bet this means tech line will be a bit longer now! I have some real funny stories of teching the coronet there last year.

Mike
Posted By: johnnyrotten

Re: Racers: NHRA or IHRA ? - 01/23/11 04:49 AM

I voted IHRA. All we will miss is the ET finals, who cares!! I-10 is open for all those who feel the need for that, Speedworld and Firebird are not that far away.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Racers: NHRA or IHRA ? - 01/23/11 04:55 AM

So what is the difference between the non-associated [ outlaw or mom pop ] tracks and NHRA and IHRA governed tracks? I've ran at all and the only difference I have seen in the non-associated track is they don't have the big boy's [ top fuel , funny car or pro stock ].
Most run with NHRA or IHRA rules anyway.

Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Racers: NHRA or IHRA ? - 01/23/11 05:02 AM

IHRA all the way
Posted By: johnnyrotten

Re: Racers: NHRA or IHRA ? - 01/23/11 05:04 AM

Insurance differences were a big thing talked about. Some tech and E.T., liscence and chassis cert. stuff.
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Racers: NHRA or IHRA ? - 01/23/11 05:06 AM

I run IHRA, NHRA and some non sanctioned local tracks, and around here, tech inspections are non existant except at Bristol (NHRA). Other than that, the difference is transparent to most people. The bracket finals for IHRA are way better, with gamblers races and such in addition to the ROC and finals.
Brian Dunnigan
Posted By: SuperStockWagon

Re: Racers: NHRA or IHRA ? - 01/23/11 05:19 AM

NHRA Class Racing.
Posted By: sam64

Re: Racers: NHRA or IHRA ? - 01/23/11 05:20 AM

the only time you are going to see any tech differences is when the traveling show comes to your track.years ago at our little track in ark city ks.we were a nhra track but mid year the gates were locked and our money we spent to be in points to go to div finals gone.some phone calls to nhra and a sponser paid the money we were robbed of so we could go to our div finals.i guess it depends whether you want to run their finals if you become their member or not.
Posted By: plasticfantastic

Re: Racers: NHRA or IHRA ? - 01/23/11 05:48 AM

bracket racing, I dont care who sanctions the track... its been a long time since I chased track points, been to Indy bracket finals, been to IHRA bracket finals, IHRA was a lot more fun.

If I was racing S/G S/R, then I would say IHRA. Show up, get in, race... no BS with grading points and different entry dates, you want to race all you need to do is show up.

I dont care for the IHRA Nitro Jam circus, but when I race those events, I'm usually BBQing something when they are doing thier schtick.

IHRA...
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Racers: NHRA or IHRA ? - 01/23/11 10:18 AM

If Bernie thinks it was better to go IHRA, I would have to follow him. He has always done well as a track manager..

Chris..
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Racers: NHRA or IHRA ? - 01/23/11 10:42 AM

Quote:

If Bernie thinks it was better to go IHRA, I would have to follow him. He has always done well as a track manager..

Chris..

Some track owners are great business people and know what's best for their track.NHRA puts too many controls on their sanctioned tracks,IHRA gives each track owner more flexibility as how to be inovative and draws spectators and racers.We don't have to look far in our area to see this in practial application.Beaver Springs Dragway with Beaver Bob at the control is one such track that totally amazes everyone for his ability to put on events,draw racers and spectators and treat everyone well and have great payouts and make money.Beaver Bob should head NHRA and show them how it should be run.
Posted By: MegaDart

Re: Racers: NHRA or IHRA ? - 01/23/11 02:06 PM

as a bracket racer who does not chase points there is little difference.

National or division race?

Quote:

If I was racing S/G S/R, then I would say IHRA. Show up, get in, race... no BS with grading points and different entry dates, you want to race all you need to do is show up.

this is dead on with a 0. Although I was running Top Sportsman last season that statement still applies. Everyone was sooo nice to us, we were actually part of the big show, circus yes but still cool to race in front of 20k people! And they gave me brownies when I picked up my check!!
Posted By: kdalters

Re: Racers: NHRA or IHRA ? - 01/23/11 04:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Chris..

Some track owners are great business people and know what's best for their track.NHRA puts too many controls on their sanctioned tracks,IHRA gives each track owner more flexibility as how to be inovative and draws spectators and racers.We don't have to look far in our area to see this in practial application.Beaver Springs Dragway with Beaver Bob at the control is one such track that totally amazes everyone for his ability to put on events,draw racers and spectators and treat everyone well and have great payouts and make money.Beaver Bob should head NHRA and show them how it should be run.

BG hit the nail on the head. Beaver Springs is a great example of a track owner/promoter that can get the job done... Beaver Bob has been doing this since the 70s & knows what works and what doesn't!

Kerry
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Racers: NHRA or IHRA ? - 01/23/11 05:06 PM

Quote:

And they gave me brownies when I picked up my check!!

This seals it.
No.......seriously.
Which sanctioning body treats me / us better ?
Like contributing members.........beyond contributing to the Pro classes ?
It's been years , but when NHRA hired the dog food salesman to run the show , the writing was definitely on the wall.
There is just something about " funding the haves " that rubs me the wrong way , and it really seems that NHRA has taken for granted or flat out ignored it's core constituency........the week end warrior guys and bracket guys.
I love the letter cars as much or more than anyone , and do enjoy watching the fuel cars.
But there are significantly more members who are not at this level and are we treated worse than inlaws on the fifth day of a six day visit.
We might as well not even be in the room until it is time to write another check.
My experience with IHRA is only as a spectator , but considering them would #1 be very difficult to be any worse #2 send Glendora a message that they are so far too arrogant to listen to.
I respect NHRA for what they have done for the sport , but they certainly have gotten away from it's core mission is recent years.
Posted By: MagnumExpress

Re: Racers: NHRA or IHRA ? - 01/23/11 05:17 PM

We race both, We prefer IHRA. Unfortunatly all tracks in our area are now NHRA so will run more of NHRA than we used to. IHRA has always treated us good and have alot more respect for the sportsman racer than NHRA. There are pros and cons to both, but we bleed IHRA
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Racers: NHRA or IHRA ? - 01/23/11 05:28 PM

what really bothers me is getting bent over every way you turn. I thought the unleased even we attended at gainesville was well run. even had a free dinner for the racers afterwards. doesn't take much to give back just a little to make people happy. instead for the most part they keep taking. make it so it's not so dam expensive for the average racer where ever possible. just for example the div 2 series just added index racing and they want to charge a $100 entry fee for a 1k first place pay out. just to much for an event that will be run anyway.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Racers: NHRA or IHRA ? - 01/23/11 06:12 PM

We had our annual drivers meeting yesterday, entry fee going up $5 in my class but payout is increasing ( last couple of years most of us put a $5 in a pot and the driver to go the furthist Won the pot) so know it will just go to the payout. Everything else is par for the course it is an NHRA track afterall, no more $$$ for top Points finishers, only free entries to the top 3 ( last year it was $ to the top 5)Payout at the Bracket Finals has been reduced for Winners and ROC competitors. We have a new track manager so we`ll see how much his proposed changes work. I run mostly NHRA Bracket Racing but have ran IHRA at a few Classic races and liked the experience but it could have been the individual tracks that made it enjoyable.
Posted By: TMP66

Re: Racers: NHRA or IHRA ? - 01/24/11 12:38 AM

Quote:

Guys, There was a meeting tonight (and VOTE by the Racers)about the future of our track. SIR in Tucson. A guest speaker was a racer from Utah that took home the IHRA (Summit Super Series)bacon last year in NoBox I think. What are your pros and cons. What would you vote for? thx matt

Clonestocker, I would guess if SIR is run the same on a weekly basis no matter what association, the only difference would be the bracket finals deal and the travel distance. The finals points races are a small part of the races at SIR. I'd bet IHRA or NHRA the cost of fuel and the economy in general is going to curtail a lot of racers traveling this year.
If it was my home track I'd vote IHRA. Competition is good. We'll still have 2 NHRA tracks in Arizona.
Posted By: QuickDart 502

Re: Racers: NHRA or IHRA ? - 01/24/11 12:54 AM

BOTH!!
Posted By: mopacltd

Re: Racers: NHRA or IHRA ? - 01/24/11 01:04 AM

After 42 years with the NHRA. I think I will go the IHRA direction!
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: Racers: NHRA or IHRA ? - 01/24/11 05:25 PM

Bernie ran Los Angeles county raceway when I lived in So Cal. He's a savy guy and knows how to run a racetrack. I didn't always agree with him but respected him. If he says that's the way to go, I'd go knowing nothing else.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Racers: NHRA or IHRA ? - 01/24/11 06:19 PM

The biggest difference between the two is if you run a car in the 9.00 to 9.99 et range.

It is a lot cheaper with IHRA.
Posted By: mopacltd

Re: Racers: NHRA or IHRA ? - 01/25/11 10:10 PM

Summit Racing Increases Tournament Of Champions Purse By $15,000
1/25/2011
Norwalk, OH

Summit Racing Equipment, new title sponsor of the International Hot Rod Association's Summit Racing Tournament of Champions year-end sportsman championship tournament, announced today that it will increase the purse for the tournament by $15,000 beginning with the 2011 season.

The new purse will increase the payout for the ninth and 10th place finishers in the world based on performance at the Summit Racing Tournament of Champions. It will also benefit drivers finishing from third place through 10th place by offering them substantial Summit Racing Equipment product certificates in addition to the regular Summit TOC purse.

"Our goal has always been to support sportsman racing," said Jim Greenleaf, Summit Racing Equipments Motorsports and Events Manage."Teaming up with the IHRA as the title sponsor of the Tournament of Champions is an incredible opportunity to expand our support for these competitive racers. We are excited to be able to increase the awards available to the top 10 in each class. The World Finals weekend promises to be very exciting."

Now entering its third year, the Summit Racing Tournament of Champions has become the most lucrative sportsman world championship program in drag racing today from a return on investment standpoint. Each sportsman class world champion receives $10,000 cash in addition to other perks befitting a champion without the tremendous costs associated with a traditional points chase. Instead of just a few drivers winning world championship prize money, the top 10 in each IHRA sportsman class all share in the $140,100 year end point fund.

"The Tournament of Champions is a great sportsman program that truly rewards the best drivers in the sport. And with the added weight and support of Summit Racing I am sure we can take this program to new heights," said IHRA President Aaron Polburn. "It is an exciting time to be a part of the IHRA as we continue to grow and expand our sportsman programs and find new ways to provide maximum value for all of our competitors."
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Racers: NHRA or IHRA ? - 01/26/11 12:02 AM

Quote:

The biggest difference between the two is if you run a car in the 9.00 to 9.99 et range.

License fee, physical exam, chassis certification, etc.
Posted By: Eric

Re: Racers: NHRA or IHRA ? - 01/26/11 02:25 AM

Quote:

...I ran the Doorslammers at Columbus last year....I think I may have been the only guy on the T/S.. ...To cheap to cert the car...get a lisc and a exam. Actually I had a great time chasing high 5 low 6 second cars dailed 6.60
Posted By: Hemi Joe 4911

Re: Racers: NHRA or IHRA ? - 01/26/11 05:51 PM

Bob- Beaver Bob would be a good choice to run NHRA however an even better choice would be a person such as your self Bob George or Bill Bader Sr. from Norwalk. My choice in voting would definately be IHRA - a lot less hassles and a lot more fun. As I have said before I would give up my NHRA membership in a heart beat, but then I could not run at an NHRA track because of THE CHICAGO STYLE rules. I feel better now . HEMI JOE! I have been trying to figure out why these Chicago Style ruling agencies always use only their inetials and all run their operations the same: The IRS - The DOT - NHRA - FBI - NFL - EPA - and its always their way or no way.
© 2024 Moparts Forums